Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
86 drivers with a perpetual inferiority complex because it's still not a Mustang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I wonder if a Coyote 5.0 motor would fit in the engine bay... :v:

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

Dunno but I bet a LSx swap isn't too far off.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dick Burglar posted:

You're doing it wrong. 911 GT3 motor.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
You guys are dumb.

Coasterphreak posted:

86 drivers with a perpetual inferiority complex because it's still not a Mustang

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Dick Burglar posted:

How to make a BRZ handle like a Mustang - throw in 200kgs of additional poo poo in the enginebay hanging over the front axle! Yes, this sounds like the best idea ever!

quote:

You're doing it wrong. 911 GT3 motor

Holy poo poo that would work.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Mustang comparisons are getting like LSx conversions - people will stick them in anywhere

Nevertheless, im sure the Mustang would drive exactly like a car over 360kg lighter... confusion will ensue no doubt

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Wrar posted:

You're doing it wrong. 911 GT3 motor.

This is the best idea ever.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Okay that does sound completely awesome, but it's not exactly the cheapest motor in the world.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dave Inc. posted:

Okay that does sound completely awesome, but it's not exactly the cheapest motor in the world.

Subaru EG33, then?

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
I dug up the Japanese pricing and trim info on my blog, here's the skinny:

Toyota 86:
  • RC: 1,990,000 yen ($25,890 US). 6-speed manual. Aimed at customizers and motorsports use.
  • G: 2,410,000 yen ($31,350 US) 6-speed manual. Middle trim level.
  • GT: 2,790,000 yen ($36,290 US) 6-speed automatic. Higher trim level.
  • GT Limited: 2,970,000 yen ($38,630 US) 6-speed automatic. Highest trim level. Leather seats and unspecified luxury equipment.

Trim levels for the BRZ are yet unannounced but a dealership in Hiroshima is advertising it at 2,012,000 yen ($26,160 US). I would imagine that's the cheapest trim level. Also another random article I just found says that the US market car will be 5 kilograms heavier than the JDM car due to slight differences in equipment (1225 kg versus 1220 kg).

The retail price in the US will probably be cheaper than the equivalent in yen, for example the lowest-end Prius is 20% more expensive in Japan if you just do a direct currency conversion.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
EZ30 or EZ36 would be doable too.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Do the currency conversion at roughly 100 yen to the dollar and it'll be a lot more accurate. The yen is extremely strong right now to the point of being harmful to their export industries.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If the base model comes in at 20K in the US then I imagine they'll sell pretty well.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Considering that dealers are trying to offload Honda Fits with navigation for 20K USD, I highly doubt the Toyobaru will be hovering around there. $24k on the super low end at a minimum.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Got to play inside of one of these this week out here at CES. Gotta say I really love the old school interior and seating positions.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Phone posted:

Considering that dealers are trying to offload Honda Fits with navigation for 20K USD, I highly doubt the Toyobaru will be hovering around there. $24k on the super low end at a minimum.

I wonder how low the dealers will go with it under pressure. I'm considering getting one and would go the route of finding what I like, making a cash offer then kicking back and waiting.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

I wonder how low the dealers will go with it under pressure. I'm considering getting one and would go the route of finding what I like, making a cash offer then kicking back and waiting.

Does it really matter? At least on Toyota's side, the price is basically fixed right?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

shodanjr_gr posted:

Does it really matter? At least on Toyota's side, the price is basically fixed right?

Sort of. Someone was explaining it on the ft86club forums (grain of salt) that apparently they can price the car at whatever they want, they just can't make special deals on an individual basis. So if the website says $X then the dealer menu board has to say $X and they have to sell the car for $X. Now if $X includes market adjustment bullshit, well that's up to the dealer (but they still have to compete with the scion dealer down the street). Who knows when they can change the menu price or how often.

Jaopnik has a video of some 6'3" guy getting into the BRZ. Looks like tall people with the correct proportions will be ok.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Rabble posted:

Sort of. Someone was explaining it on the ft86club forums (grain of salt) that apparently they can price the car at whatever they want, they just can't make special deals on an individual basis. So if the website says $X then the dealer menu board has to say $X and they have to sell the car for $X. Now if $X includes market adjustment bullshit, well that's up to the dealer (but they still have to compete with the scion dealer down the street). Who knows when they can change the menu price or how often.
Oh, that makes sense...for some reason I thought that the "pure price" thing was a top-down mandated price of Scion-central...I just read the description on their site and your answer seems right.

quote:

Jaopnik has a video of some 6'3" guy getting into the BRZ. Looks like tall people with the correct proportions will be ok.
Woohoo! Hurray for me :).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Phone posted:

A Subaru guy told Motor Trend that the BRZ would be $24k for the premium and $27k for the limited. I'd assume the FR-S slots in a little bit below, maybe $22k-ish.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

shodanjr_gr posted:

Oh, that makes sense...for some reason I thought that the "pure price" thing was a top-down mandated price of Scion-central...I just read the description on their site and your answer seems right.

Woohoo! Hurray for me :).

I'm 6'2" and still had plenty of room weighing in at like 205 right now.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Aussie pricing - Wheels magazine are saying $39990 for the Toyota, which means the higher-spec Subaru must be a low to mid-40's car.... which makes it the same price as a WRX..... how is that going to work?

40 grand... im sorry, youve lost this customer...

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 12, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
The Boston Auto Show is this weekend, I hope one of the manufacturers ends up bringing one to sit in, although we get kinda shafted by some manufacturers. Even if they don't, Cadillac will let you drive a CTS-V wagon/coupe/sedan.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ROFLBOT posted:

Aussie pricing - Wheels magazine are saying $39990 for the Toyota, which means the higher-spec Subaru must surely be a mid-40's car.... which makes it the same price as a WRX..... how is that going to work?

Sounds like they're aiming it against the MX-5 ($50k new) rather than the WRX, which makes perfect sense.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 12, 2012

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

The Boston Auto Show is this weekend, I hope one of the manufacturers ends up bringing one to sit in, although we get kinda shafted by some manufacturers. Even if they don't, Cadillac will let you drive a CTS-V wagon/coupe/sedan.

The car doesn't go on sale until later in the year, the dealers won't have any yet. Detroit was the North American public debut.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Sounds like they're aiming it against the MX-5 ($50k new) rather than the WRX, which makes perfect sense.

The main selling point of the MX-5 is that its a convertible, and people will pay stupid money for convertibles. Will people pay stupid money just for RWD? I dont think there was really any doubt that Toyota/Subaru Aus were going to find out, bastards.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 12, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Surging Santorum posted:

The car doesn't go on sale until later in the year, the dealers won't have any yet. Detroit was the North American public debut.

Boston area is a pretty big consumer for most Japanese car makers, especially Subarus so we usually get some of their upcoming models at the Boston auto shows. I think we got an S2000CR concept display a few months after it debuted at NY. Also the drive thing isn't a dealership, they have a little road around the convention center that some manufacturers are letting people drive cars on.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 12, 2012

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ROFLBOT posted:

Aussie pricing - Wheels magazine are saying $39990 for the Toyota, which means the higher-spec Subaru must be a low to mid-40's car.... which makes it the same price as a WRX..... how is that going to work?

Yeah, at 40k a 2011 WRX hatch has more practicality, awd, and more power, for the same money. I say 2011 because it looks a lot better than whatever the gently caress the new model is, and gets the same flares as the STI.

I would consider the Toyota at 40k with a few options tacked on (like the TRD body kit, brakes, exhaust and suspension) but thats definitely not going to happen.

and then in 2013 there will be a loving turbo/SC model for another 10k anyway.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
But what is that Aussie pricing in America freedom dollars?

It all comes down to price. Marketing schtick only goes so far when you're competing with cars that are tried and true. It's going to be 22k or no one is going to buy it, Toyota knows this and that's why they haven't released the price. If they are really worried about yen/USD conversion then they should buckle down and build some here in America. Otherwise, bite the bullet, write off the R&D, sell the thing for its mostly parts bin cost and hope to god that you make your money back on the aftermarket. You can't make money on a car that sits on the dealer's lot.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Even if these cars are priced at 33k in Canada for the higher trims, that's dangerous, dangerous territory to be in. You can get the fully loaded GC and Mustangs at those kinds of prices and if you shopped around you could get yourself into a nice 1 series too. If they aren't careful, they'll kill this car before it even goes for sale.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
This thread is a sine wave.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, every time I read the "but a WRX might cost the same and has more power!!!" argument, I start frothing at the mouth.

500 pounds lighter, a better weight distribution, and a lower center of gravity are worth absolutely nothing to some people, apparently. Not to mention not looking like a loving Toyota Matrix.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Splizwarf posted:

This thread is a sine wave.

I was just thinking that. Keeps flipping between hopeful and hopeless. :ohdear:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

sliderule posted:

Yeah, every time I read the "but a WRX might cost the same and has more power!!!" argument, I start frothing at the mouth.

500 pounds lighter, a better weight distribution, and a lower center of gravity are worth absolutely nothing to some people, apparently. Not to mention not looking like a loving Toyota Matrix.

For what it's worth, my interest in this thread is a fun car for my wife and only occasionally myself. Handling is a lot more important to us in a car that will be used as a all-around commuter/pleasure/travel car (we don't have kids). Fun > raw power. Power doesn't save your rear end in the rain and snow or dodging lovely drivers; I think good handling is one of the best safety features.

I guess I'm marginal to the thread, though, we would be looking at one off lease in a couple years instead of helping to get the first wave sold. Unless Volvo discontinues the C30 in the next year or two, killing my OSD dreams. :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

sliderule posted:

BUT THE V6 MUSTANG :downswords:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
All the people here at the office that have driven it say its Miata-esque to drive and last I looked, nobody is saying "well I'd rather have a 'Speed3" (which goes for about the same price), so uhm...yeah. Completely different car than a WRX with a completely different purpose. If all you care about is power, you're doing it wrong.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

sliderule posted:

It's direct competition (for me, since I own one) is an s2000. I know coupe vs. convertible and all but I'm getting a hard top soon so that'll be fairly moot as a point.

I own my s2000 outright now, and the 86/BRZ isn't impressive enough on paper to make me have a car payment again (even if it was small).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ouhei posted:

It's direct competition (for me, since I own one) is an s2000. I know coupe vs. convertible and all but I'm getting a hard top soon so that'll be fairly moot as a point.

I own my s2000 outright now, and the 86/BRZ isn't impressive enough on paper to make me have a car payment again (even if it was small).

But hasn't Honda stopped selling the S2000? In Australia a new S2000 would be close to double the price of the GT86, thus not really in the same shopping category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

You Am I posted:

But hasn't Honda stopped selling the S2000? In Australia a new S2000 would be close to double the price of the GT86, thus not really in the same shopping category.

There's really two arguments going on here, one for USA viability and one for AUS viability. It seems like the Aussie market and the US don't have much commonality to pricing.

• Locked thread