Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

Don't suffer lagspikes while driving dump trucks around, even if you're not griefing it turns out GMs will go N5 and nuke your cuss if they see it happen to you.

(audio engine seems to be responsible for it, like too many players tracks playing at once? It was like I was back on a dualcore)

This fixed the spikes I was getting awhile ago I believe related to my on-board Realtek sound.
http://forums.gamersfirst.com/topic/238560-proven-fix-for-stuttering

quote:

Anyways, fix for this is a simple registry edit, you can back this up if you like prior to editing. This is for windows 7 64 bit yet this is for a windows nt function so you should be fine for xp as well.

Open regedit. This can be done by typing in regedit by typing in the search bar.

Browse to THIS section:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile

Open up the registry setting for the network performance throttling thingamajig.

Change it to hexadecimal FFFFFFFF (f 8 times)

Save, restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
http://twitch.tv/mydopefish/b/305127889

You can see me and Longhair in the background in the dumptrucks few times, but the admin fucker starts about 0:22:00

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
He would have tried to have me banned if he'd seen me N5/P5 hunting on my crim, I've made it into an art to down those guys with dump trucks (remember that story of five other players being between me and the N5, in vehicles? Yeah..) so at least I've got (hopefully) server log proof of that.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Secret Sweater posted:

They don't ban for that. You can't get banned from the game permanently for griefing.

Also he said he blew him up, he didn't ban him.

Actually you can be banned for griefing:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So if you're driving around bored and you just start ramming someone repeatedly for no discernible reason that's called harassment? I call it gameplay because its hilarious. Then again I'm the kinda guy that thinks its funny when someone does it to me. In fact, nobody has gotten pissed off about it, usually they try and ram me back. My favorite is flipping over other cars that are in mid-chase.

Some Noob questions:
1)What's the easiest way to tell at a glance whether someone is a criminal or an enforcer?
2)Is there any point to Witness missions? I love the idea of them but so far all it seems to do is give you some paltry money and resets your rep (or whatever its called) to 2.
3)To get missions you just pick 'Ready' and just chill until something comes up right? Is there more to this?
4)What weapon should I be bee-lining for?
5)Perhaps the noobiest question of all, I haven't been able to figure out where the health is displayed, so a little help with that...

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 11, 2012

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Some Noob questions:
1)The icon's next to their name are different depending on faction
2)Other than yertling and griefing pubbies there isn't much point
3)Yes just hit ready and chill
4)Weapons are all personal preference but most people enjoy the Ntec or OCA. The joker is very OP right now though so try that out.
5)Health is regenerating and doesn't appear anywhere. When you take damage your screen will fade more and more and you'll hear a heartbeat getting louder.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
Didn't you use to play on Patriot? We have an OfficerSnake in Something Lawful on Patriot…

Some Noob questions:
1)What's the easiest way to tell at a glance whether someone is a criminal or an enforcer?
2)Is there any point to Witness missions? I love the idea of them but so far all it seems to do is give you some paltry money and resets your rep (or whatever its called) to 2.
3)To get missions you just pick 'Ready' and just chill until something comes up right? Is there more to this?
4)What weapon should I be bee-lining for?
5)Perhaps the noobiest question of all, I haven't been able to figure out where the health is displayed, so a little help with that...

1) During a mission it's a standard green=good people/red=bad people names. Outside of that: enforcers have either shields with stars on them or insignias as their icons. Crims have knives, brass-knuckles or some kind of circle thingies.
2) That's all there is. Witness missions are ONLY for taking money away from crims. You don't even level up your roles during them - kills don't count toward weapon progression.
3) Yes, just "ready up" and wait for a mission/dispatch.
4) It depends on your preferences. You like CQC? Shotguns or SMGs. Medium range? NTEC. Long range? Obeya, Obir or HVR. Play and get
5) There's no health display. Your vision gets more black&white the more you are damaged. You'll also hear a heartbeat sound. Find cover and you'll regenerate it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've heard people talk about the Joker being overpowered, but there are several guns named Joker, which one do you mean?

As for witnessing, is it intentional to lower your rep back to 2 or is it related to the rep of the guy you witness? And when you say you take money away from crims by witnessing, do you mean their actual current money? I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is fun stuff do to besides missions.

Also what is yertling?

edit: Ohhh yeah I was also wondering if someone could give me the quick skinny on arresting people? I haven't actually tried it because I'm a bad enough teammate as it is. I assumed the starter non-lethal weapons were just garbage and was going to unlock some more. I've also accidentally killed people in the process of being arrested by others and I feel like a jerk every time, does the arrester still get their bonus if I do this?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 11, 2012

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

questions
The Joker Carbine:
http://apb.niipazzo.com/home/weapons?weaponType=7

You lose your Prestige after witness intentionally. I suppose it's to curb farming. You also don't get any kills/arrests credited towards your roles and unlocks in a witness mission for the same reason.

To arrest, use 'crowd control weapons' commonly referred to as LTL (less than lethal). You use it to stun them, then once stunned, stand behind them, press your 'use' button and arrest them. They can be uncuffed by their teammates, though, so keep guard. Here's a friend's montage of arrests:
http://youtu.be/qw6nFnrucZY

And as mentioned above about recognizing crims or enforcers, there's a pic somewhere that shows all the icons, but I can't find it. Basically, enforcers look like badge-type symbols and crims are brass knuckles or knives.

edit: ok I found the chart:
http://forums.gamersfirst.com/topic/225850-ranking-icon-chart
Only ranks 1-195 are possible currently.

and no idea on the yertling, must be an East Coast thing =]

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 11, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Thanks for all the help guys. This game could really use a wiki, so far I've just been thumbing through the New Players forum.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This game could really use a wiki

You mean like this?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
See also: http://apbdb.com/

Also, regarding health, there's a subtle tone when you finish regenerating your health. I'd advise taking a minute to jump off a building or grenade yourself for non-fatal damage then listen for it so you can learn it. It's important to be familiar with when you're going up against an HVR, since anything less than full health means they can one-shot you.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 11, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
drat, thanks for those links. I'm loving dumb!

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

TerminalSaint posted:

See also: http://apbdb.com/

Also, regarding health, there's a subtle tone when you finish regenerating your health. I'd advise taking a minute to jump off a building or grenade yourself for non-fatal damage then listen for it so you can learn it. It's important to be familiar with when you're going up against an HVR, since anything less than full health means they can one-shot you.

Tiny note about this, not sure if it has to do with Clotting Agent or not but there have been times where I wait for the tone and then step back out in the open and am immediately met with a 1-shot kill, which isn't actually 1-shot but because my health wasn't fully regenerated. Other times I have waited for the tone and then a few seconds after, then run out into the open and get shot again, and survive it. The synchronization between you actually regenerating to full and the full tone seems to be bugged.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Demonlord posted:

Actually you can be banned for griefing:

That looks like a warning from a GM to me. If you can cite someone actually banned from the game for griefing I'll eat my words, but I have heard of zero cases of this happening.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

Secret Sweater posted:

That looks like a warning from a GM to me. If you can cite someone actually banned from the game for griefing I'll eat my words, but I have heard of zero cases of this happening.

Repetitive and extreme griefing can lead to a permanent ban. There was a few cases in the Police Blotter thread on the forums but that seems to have disappeared so I can't reference it anymore. Usually first-time offenders of reported and confirmed griefing get a 3 day ban.

EDIT: Improving this post with some news about the RTW shaders.

http://forums.gamersfirst.com/topic/242976-rtw-shader-restoration-project/page__view__findpost__p__2332826

quote:

I genuinely am unsure if you will be banned for this.

Technically speaking, our systems wouldn't ban you for this, not unless you manage to incorporate a wall-hack into it. PB on the other hand might not be so forgiving, but I doubt it would auto-ban you for this, our PB is configured to only ban on certain things rather than just anything it picks up.

It's a bit like the cross-hair situation, we won't oppose you with this project, but we're not going to endorse or encourage it either. It's a do-it-at-your-own-risk job, however I don't think it's a big risk.

Also nice work :P

-Revo

An Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 13, 2012

milward
Nov 5, 2009

I gave this a try, and I am terrible but it is fun. I even reached prestige 5 at one point for all of a millisecond.

Now that I have dome some missions I have some questions:

IŽm trying the different kinds of guns and so far I had the best results with the stock gun, what is a good gun to save up for then? I am close to rank 30.

I tried the Joker carbine, but the one-shot-per-klick does not work for me. The semi-sniper was fun and I did get some kills with it but it pretty useless when attacking solo since it end up as CQC and a shotgun to the face. SMG might be good if I could aim better with it and I have not tried shotgun yet.

The clothes you unlock, you still have to buy them in the wardrobe?

How do I modify my car? do I have to buy a new car to be able to do that?

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

milward posted:

I gave this a try, and I am terrible but it is fun. I even reached prestige 5 at one point for all of a millisecond.

Now that I have dome some missions I have some questions:

IŽm trying the different kinds of guns and so far I had the best results with the stock gun, what is a good gun to save up for then? I am close to rank 30.

I tried the Joker carbine, but the one-shot-per-klick does not work for me. The semi-sniper was fun and I did get some kills with it but it pretty useless when attacking solo since it end up as CQC and a shotgun to the face. SMG might be good if I could aim better with it and I have not tried shotgun yet.

The clothes you unlock, you still have to buy them in the wardrobe?

How do I modify my car? do I have to buy a new car to be able to do that?

Since you like the stock gun, you might like the NTEC. Check contacts for when you unlock it by simply holding your cursor over the "locked" icon in the buy menu. If you want to try shotguns I recommend the NFAS because it is more forgiving if you miss a shot or two, while the JG is a pump shotgun and you will probably die if you miss.

Yes, you must buy the clothes you unlock to wear them. Remember to purchase from the "customizable" tab if you wanna put poo poo on it. You should be able to modify your starter car by simply opening it up in the car editor, but you will need to buy a new car if you want to customize a new one.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Since you like the stock gun, you might like the NTEC. Check contacts for when you unlock it by simply holding your cursor over the "locked" icon in the buy menu. If you want to try shotguns I recommend the NFAS because it is more forgiving if you miss a shot or two, while the JG is a pump shotgun and you will probably die if you miss.

Yes, you must buy the clothes you unlock to wear them. Remember to purchase from the "customizable" tab if you wanna put poo poo on it. You should be able to modify your starter car by simply opening it up in the car editor, but you will need to buy a new car if you want to customize a new one.

Great, thanks. IŽll give the NTEC a try.

Do all the contacts have the same items? And does it matter if I buy clothes from a contact or directly from the wardrobe-machine?

And where do I find a car editor? Somewhere in the social district I assume? IŽve only seen auctions, clothes and decals there.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

milward posted:

Great, thanks. IŽll give the NTEC a try.

Do all the contacts have the same items? And does it matter if I buy clothes from a contact or directly from the wardrobe-machine?

And where do I find a car editor? Somewhere in the social district I assume? IŽve only seen auctions, clothes and decals there.

Yup, all contacts including the "fixers" (as they're called in the social district) hold the same stuff. So if you need to check items or whatever you can do so in the convenience of social district. Generally it makes no difference where you buy clothes, because they both stock the same stuff as far as I know.

Next time you're in-game press M and check off all your icons in the map legend. This will show you all of the kiosks and stuff in the district, you should do this for action districts as well if you consider it helpful. The car editors are the red icons.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

Yup, all contacts including the "fixers" (as they're called in the social district) hold the same stuff. So if you need to check items or whatever you can do so in the convenience of social district. Generally it makes no difference where you buy clothes, because they both stock the same stuff as far as I know.

I think clothing items will only come up on the contacts of the gang you unlocked them with. Weapons seemed to be the same on both gangs. I could be wrong though.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

You might like the obir semi assault rifle as well. Its very accurate, has a 3 round burst fire mode and will melt most people in 3 bursts. Also the joker pistol is pretty nice at cqc and for harassing people at range. It is also 3 round burst. A shotgun guy will still murder you at that range though.

Also I've been messing around with the pump action shotgun and it is amazing. I more than held my own in matches with mostly golds and had an angry gold try to stalk me for a while after. Finally the oca falls to the wayside. Until I get a two slot one anyway.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Goofballs posted:

You might like the obir semi assault rifle as well. Its very accurate, has a 3 round burst fire mode and will melt most people in 3 bursts.

Pretty much this. I got around to trying the OBIR a few days ago, and it perfectly filled that gap on defend missions when I didn't quite need to pull out my HVR.

Wronkos fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 13, 2012

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

klonkadonk posted:

Pretty much this. I got around to trying the OBIR a few days ago, and it perfectly filled that gap on defend missions when I didn't quite need to pull out my HVR.

I like the obeya over the obir.

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker
I personally see every mission turn into a sniper camp fest on the final round. So I just use my mid-range guns like the Joker Carbine/STAR or OCA/Colby Shotgun until it gets to the final round then swap to an hvr+joker RFP combo every time. Sometimes I'll use a DMR if the mission involves delivering vehicles, because that thing murders cars way better than an HVR.

keeb fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 13, 2012

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

keeb posted:

I personally see every mission turn into a sniper camp fest on the final round. So I just use my mid-range guns like the Joker Carbine/STAR or OCA/Colby Shotgun until it gets to the final round then swap to an hvr+joker RFP combo every time. Sometimes I'll use a DMR if the mission involves delivering vehicles, because that thing murders cars way better than an HVR.

For anti-vehicle, ALIG or go home.

My suggestions for weapons depend of course on range. The OCA is really good for mobility and a steady recoil, try and stay a little between short and medium if you're dealing with a shotgun. I'm fond of shotguns for extreme close range battles since they will two shot.

Medium, an ntec works well for damage and accuracy as long as you fire in bursts. Not the best for being on the move but meh. Obeya rifle is good too at this range to long with about 4-5 shots for a kill.

Secondaries, can't go wrong with FBW, Act44 is a good replacement once you unlock it. revolver is good for backup 'sniping'. PDW is not bad for having a auto-pistol (mini-smg)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The RSA revolver is nuts for sniping. Insane combination of range and accuracy, a must-have if you're stuck with a shorter range primary.

The Shaw will cut vehicles up but you need a badly beat up target that isn't moving for that, and the Alig is preferable for anti-player purposes when you're outside of the Shaw's useful range. I did triple-Alig grouping goons the other day making sure to farm the enemies at every stage of every mission and I wish I had FRAPS playing nice with the game.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

The RSA revolver is nuts for sniping. Insane combination of range and accuracy, a must-have if you're stuck with a shorter range primary.

The Shaw will cut vehicles up but you need a badly beat up target that isn't moving for that, and the Alig is preferable for anti-player purposes when you're outside of the Shaw's useful range. I did triple-Alig grouping goons the other day making sure to farm the enemies at every stage of every mission and I wish I had FRAPS playing nice with the game.

SHAW is really nice for ruining the day of someone relying on a cooling Jacket OCA. Very good defensive weapon but the lack of mobility can hurt on the offense. It was buffed recently so it's pretty accurate at the medium range. Goes through a LOT of ammo though.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Are cool jackets better than reflex scopes? Cause I used reflex scopes 2 on the oca and found them pretty nice though the difference wasnt that big.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

That's kind of like asking if bacon is better than ice cream.

I mean, they do very different things. reflex sight makes you more accurate, cooling jacket makes you shoot faster but less accurate. What you really want is one of each on the gun, that turns it into a rape train. But if you can only get a 1-slot gun at the moment, I'd say try both and stick with whatever you prefer. That way when you unlock the 2-slot you'll already own both mods and can put them on. When you get rich but level 3 mods from the marketplace too.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Shouldnt be too long to the 2 slot. I think I only have to finish the current level of pointman. Generally the level 3 mods tend to be 10 to 20k above the contact price on the market and I'm not sure if that would be worth it. I'm not premium so I'm only sitting on 90k or so.

The other thing is the scope description only says it increases accuracy moderatly while cooling jacket has a percentage value. So its harder to tell how much bang you are getting for your apb buck.

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker
^Edit: You're definitely better off with Reflex sight than you are with cooling jacket by itself.

As a side note, I think I almost have more fun griefing in this game than I do playing it the way it's supposed to be played.

Found some crims that needed to breakin/steal a Fresno so I decided to help out my Enforcer pal by trapping the car:
You can't tell by the screenshot but that car was wedged in that doorway so well it stayed there on it's own.

After about 4 or 5 attempts they remember they can blow the car up and it'll respawn, but I beat them there too:

keeb fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 13, 2012

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Ok so how the gently caress do you get crims with LTLs before they kill you? I bought one today and they feel painfully underpowered. I managed to arrest a grand total of 0 people with it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Be a better shot, or get the jump on them. I have no hard time at all taking down crims with the LTL Shotgun, the NL9. Three solid hits and they're out. My problem is teammates killing them while they're down.

Especially ones with cop hats.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!

NaDy posted:

Ok so how the gently caress do you get crims with LTLs before they kill you? I bought one today and they feel painfully underpowered. I managed to arrest a grand total of 0 people with it.

I started playing APB about 3 weeks ago, and I went with the LtL fairly quickly since I was the type to play Metal Gear Solid, Deus Ex, and other games non-lethally. Find it more enjoyable.

Here's a good guide that I found on the internets that'll help you out:

http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2011/06/apb-reloaded-less-than-lethal-weapons.html

LtL is harder. Every other weapon is practically stronger than your LtL weaponry. Head on, direct fighting you will lose every time unless the criminal is awful or in the middle of reloading. Take out criminals on your terms. Lead them to you, flank them, get the higher ground. You are going to need the advantage. I personally recommend the Stabba CCG. It's an automatic firing beanbag rifle practically, good up to 50m. The standard one has 20 per magazine and usually takes 6-10 hits for it to stun someone. I feel the CCG is more forgiving then the pump action NL9, but try out both!

I personally enjoy the challenge, the (few) unlocks, and the occasional whining from criminals who are handcuffed. In fact, just got my first "hackusation" yesterday when I stun grenaded and CCG'd 3 criminals at a spray paint point who were all lumped together. :smug:

Also, buy the best cuffs you can in the marketplace! You do unlock them eventually through the cop rank, but front some extra money and get the FBI cuffs or whatever that increase your arresting speed since you'll need all the advantages you can get.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The top cuffs make it 40% faster to arrest and it's the only reason I've made it into Cop rank 1 on my latest character.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

Joker CR-5 is a pretty nice gun.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Joker CR-5 is a pretty nice gun.

It's literally just an n-tec. Although I'm suspicious there might be a tiiiiny bit less accuracy bloom. One thing that pisses me off about it is that G1 didn't make new sounds. It's like they don't even create their own assets any more, just re-use stuff. I think the new guns should have their own sounds drat it. still, nice to be able to use a 3-slot n-tec for a while! I'm pretty bad with those though. Lately been doing really really well with an obeya with HS3.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Has anyone else here running this through their Steam account had trouble with adding GamersFirst credits to their accounts off the in-game marketplace? It looks like it's set up expressly to purchase the drat things right out of your Steam wallet, but it just keeps giving me an unspecified error message every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker
Worked fine for me using steam.

• Locked thread