Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Speaking of Lightroom outpacing Adobe Camera Raw... The Lightroom 4 public beta is up, and the new Process Version 2012 turns everything on its head. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009

Molten Llama posted:

Speaking of Lightroom outpacing Adobe Camera Raw... The Lightroom 4 public beta is up, and the new Process Version 2012 turns everything on its head. Enjoy!

Looks like it can color grade videos! Time to finally use the gimmicky video mode on my camera.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Gravitom posted:

How does everyone organize their files in Lightroom?
I guess I'm the only one who organizes everything in the folder tree instead of collections.

Molten Llama posted:

The Lightroom 4 public beta is up
The Kelby folks have some videos up:
http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom4

What's awesome:
- rethought sliders in the Develop module
- clarity is WAY more sensitive! (and less halo-happy)

Finally:
- RGB curves
- color temperature adjustment brush
- grain adjustment brush
- stacks in collections

Gimmicky, but I might use it:
- maps & books
- hide module names from the top of the screen

What they didn't touch:
- Give me adjustment brushes for EVERYTHING. Why is this so impossible? Aperture can do it.
- An actual clone tool, not this half-assed spot removal thing. (Come on, Adobe.. this isn't difficult.)

Also, it's called "beta" for a reason. I got it to crash a dozen times in 20 minutes.

quazi fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 10, 2012

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If I use the v4 beta, will any work that is done be compatible with the final version? Or will it be lost? I skimmed the announcement page and didn't see anything, but I think I remember that the v3 beta didn't work with the real v3.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Adobe tries to make beta catalogs upgradable to release catalogs, but they don't guarantee it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have to ask, as I'm installing the LR 4 beta right now, did they finally revert adjustment brushes to saving the settings between adjustment types? In LR 1 and 2, you could select exposure and set it to say +1, then go select clarity and put it at -50, and when you went back to exposure it would go back to it's previous setting of +1. In LR 3 you have to set the amount every time you switch between adjustments, and it's annoying as hell. Anyone know of a work around to that?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

quazi posted:

THANK YOU ADOBE.

I know I should use keyboard shortcuts to move from module to module but I just don't, and I've hit the wrong module so many times :argh:

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

Gravitom posted:

Well space is cheap but I don't really trust local storage. I have a RAID1 but I religiously upload to an online backup service. Those RAW files do add up and when it's a friend's party I shot 3 years ago that I just through on Facebook; I don't really see much harm in deleting the RAW.

As for keeping around absolutely everything you shot, I don't have a problem with it for cost reasons it's more to reduce clutter. Even with ratings and filters, I find it very difficult to navigate Lightroom. I wish I could get my entire Navigator window on my second monitor like you can with Loupe/Grid view. Maybe I should just start using Adobe Bridge.

Btw, I'm not strongly arguing my way. I'm still very much undecided and just playing devil's advocate.

For shoots that I know will only ever exist as JPGs I just shoot as JPGs. If I thought there was a reason to shoot in RAW, that's what I keep.

I also organize LR by just laying out the FS in my 'camera' folder by year and then event, sometimes the event has a date, depends on the event. Each event folder is zipped and uploaded to S3 for backup as well. The current years folder of pictures are locally on my macbook, all previous years live on my NAS which is mounted and available to the macbook/LR.

Would be interested to see how others manage their photo collections as well.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

quazi posted:

am I missing something? You could do this in 3.x

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

joelcamefalling posted:

am I missing something? You could do this in 3.x
You could always hide the entire strip, but now you can hide individual module names.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, now I can hide the print/web strip that I have not used once in my three (?) years working with LR and not get angry when I accidentally click on them :3:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I wonder if SA has a user named "HDR" who wandered into the dorkroom one day because he likes taking photos, saw this thread and wondered why we hate him even though he's never posted here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HookShot posted:

I wonder if SA has a user named "HDR" who wandered into the dorkroom one day because he likes taking photos, saw this thread and wondered why we hate him even though he's never posted here.

Sorry to kill your attempts at comedy, but no, he doesn't exist:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=HDR

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

xzzy posted:

Sorry to kill your attempts at comedy, but no, he doesn't exist:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=HDR

Hey SA, I'd like you guys to meet my friend, Buzz Killington.

Buzz, these are the guys.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Hey SA, I'd like you guys to meet my friend, Buzz Killington.

Buzz, these are the guys.

Sorry, he doesn't exist either.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=Buzz%20Killington

:haw:

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Medpak posted:

For shoots that I know will only ever exist as JPGs I just shoot as JPGs. If I thought there was a reason to shoot in RAW, that's what I keep.

I also organize LR by just laying out the FS in my 'camera' folder by year and then event, sometimes the event has a date, depends on the event. Each event folder is zipped and uploaded to S3 for backup as well. The current years folder of pictures are locally on my macbook, all previous years live on my NAS which is mounted and available to the macbook/LR.

Well I still think there is benefit to shooting raw for casual stuff. Granted most of the time you won't need it but being able to push exposure has saved plenty of shots for me. I just don't keep them around for long.

I'm debating having a folder tree for Lightroom full of DNGs and a completely separate one for Picasa full of JPGs that I sync to my web albums. I think that will solve all my problems with mixing the files. Does anyone do this?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Medpak posted:

I will always shoot RAW but if it was something that might not be so important or that I don't ever plan to print (large) then I would probably shoot it in sRAW1 or even sRAW2 so as to save space.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have one gigantic LR library because I'm dumb with computers. On the bright side, when I decide to go back and re-edit a photo, it's pretty easy to just go back 2000 photos and find the approximate date that I took the photo in and then find it from there.

I also shoot in RAW 100% of the time. I've almost always got more than enough storage space and I like the flexibility it offers. I don't keep my RAWs of snapshots (except for the magic part of my computer that keeps them in my LR catalogue), though if I do a big trip/series/whatever that I think is important I always back them up before I do any post.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm giving the lightroom 4 beta a try. So far I like the controls very much. I think I may have to upgrade when it comes out and go over a lot of my old photos and see if I can make them look a little better. I always find myself fighting the 'over processed' look when I'm working on stuff. I suppose where that line is crossed depends a lot on the person though.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

quazi posted:

I guess I'm the only one who organizes everything in the folder tree instead of collections.

What's awesome:

Finally:
- RGB curves
- grain adjustment brush
- stacks in collections

- maps & books

What they didn't touch:
- Give me adjustment brushes for EVERYTHING. Why is this so impossible? Aperture can do it.
- An actual clone tool, not this half-assed spot removal thing. (Come on, Adobe.. this isn't difficult.)

Also, it's called "beta" for a reason. I got it to crash a dozen times in 20 minutes.

Performance on the adjustment brushes is appalling. Want to boost clarity on a majority of the photo via adjustment brush? Be prepared to sit there and wait for 10 minutes as it applies.
I'd love to just globally apply what I want and then mask out what I don't, but I don't believe LR can do that.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Cyberbob posted:

Performance on the adjustment brushes is appalling. Want to boost clarity on a majority of the photo via adjustment brush? Be prepared to sit there and wait for 10 minutes as it applies.
I'd love to just globally apply what I want and then mask out what I don't, but I don't believe LR can do that.

Nope, no real masking. This is the one area I think they'll shy away from so as not to eat into Photoshop, but it's a real shame. Maybe Aperture could mix it up in that area.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

quazi posted:

What's awesome:

Finally:
- RGB curves
- grain adjustment brush
- stacks in collections

- maps & books

What they didn't touch:

Cool, they added RGB curves, literally the only tool you could ever need for editing your photographs, after like 10 loving years, and expanded it with a bunch more stupid poo poo for noobs. sweet

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Where do I start learning how to use Lightroom and or PS? Beyond just moving sliders this way or that way, I don't know what I'm doing. Also, everything in lightroom looks brighter, then when I export to jpg, it is quite a bit darker. Why is it doing that?

I just bought this book.

Anything else that will help me gain some confidence with editing photos?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

tijag posted:

Where do I start learning how to use Lightroom and or PS? Beyond just moving sliders this way or that way, I don't know what I'm doing. Also, everything in lightroom looks brighter, then when I export to jpg, it is quite a bit darker. Why is it doing that?

I just bought this book.

Go onto the Adobe website and go through some of their tutorials. A lot of the tutorials by Juliane Kost are fantastic. That's how I got going, and then it's just playing with things from there.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

I got proficient with Lightroom pretty quickly from Lynda.com tutorials.

http://www.lynda.com/Lightroom-3-tutorials/photoshop-essential-training/59972-2.html

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

tijag posted:

I just bought this book.

could this be because Lightroom uses ProPhoto while jpgs use sRGB and AdobeRGB?

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

tijag posted:

I just bought this book.

Good starting point with $0 cost can be found here: http://www.lightroomforums.net/forumdisplay.php?26-Tips-Tricks-amp-The-Starter-Kit-(read-only)

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
Somebody school me on cloning/masking. Here is the issue:

That frame impaling my friend's head needs to go. I tried creating a rough lasso-selection and then using refine mask edge, but it seems that brown hair / dark yellow wall and hair shadow / dark part of the picture were too much of a challenge and no matter how much I fiddled with the sliders nothing came out. Brushing on top of it didn't help. As for cloning, I've never had any success that didn't result in what looked like large smeary blobs (tiny brush/soft brush/transparent brush only yield different degrees of shittiness). Is there anything I'm missing, or should I just get back into photoshop and toil until I get something decent looking out?

Cockwhore fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 25, 2012

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Cockwhore posted:

Somebody school me on cloning/masking. Here is the issue:

That frame impaling my friend's head needs to go. I tried creating a rough lasso-selection and then using refine mask, but it seems that brown hair / dark yellow wall and hair shadow / dark part of the picture were too much of a challenge and no matter how much I fiddled with the sliders nothing came out. Brushing on top of it didn't help. As for cloning, I've never had any success that didn't result in what looked like large smeary blobs (tiny brush/soft brush/transparent brush only yield different degrees of shittiness). Is there anything I'm missing, or should I just get back into photoshop and toil until I get something decent looking out?

I mask people out all the time. My process is to duplicate the background in the stack and insert a Black & White adjustment layer between the two. I use the Quick Selection Tool to select the person (use Alt to make adjustments when you need to push it back in) as best I can then create a mask. Now the person is in color and the background is in B&W, it makes it easy to see where I need to refine painting the mask.

Hitting \ will show the mask but for fine details like hair I'll sometimes rely on the color vs. b&w disparity. For something like this where you have the background showing through in between the hair you will need to get in there and do some really fine mask painting.

You can definitely separate her from the background with some meticulous masking. I don't know if you can reconstruct that much of the background and have it look good though.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I personally have a really hard time cloning over a wall whose color is at a gradient due to lighting. Is there a really easy method for it that I'm unaware of?

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
Thanks, ThisQuietReverie. So far I've always used something like a pure white background to judge the quality of the mask, but a b&w layer would be much better, as it'd allow me to see parts that are masked out.

That said, my problem with zooming in and using a brush is mostly the fact that there are often single strands of hair which end up being only a few px wide; when I mask them, the brush ends up bring too hard, and it looks awkward. Part of the problem seems to be that strands of hair are often thin enough to be transparent and show parts of the background through. Do you adjust the transparency of the brush, along with its size/softness (and is there a convenient shortcut)?

Also, I'll echo RangerScum's question re: gradients and cloning. My original idea was to knock out the whole background and replace it with a single color.

edit:

I actually meant refine edge, when I said refine mask earlier. It (understandably) struggled with the low contrast areas.
VVV

Cockwhore fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 25, 2012

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
If you have CS5 you can use the Refine Edge tool which helps with selecting hair etc

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/photoshopcafe-tv/new-in-photoshop-cs5-cutout-and-refine-edge/

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Yeah, it isn't going to be easy. I use the History Brush set to a very low flow to paint in Multiply or Screen with a soft brush to blend gradient lighting. I've also used the Gradient Tool to drop down some gradients in a multiply layer at an extremely low opacity to help even things out.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
Topaz Remask. It will do this for you. Also, to replace it with good contents you can then do a second mask where you cut out the frame, and the girl, then select the empty space and use PS5's uncle phil to fill in the space. Since there will be no subject, and no frame, it will only be working with a color gradient and empty space. This is pretty much an ideal scenario for it's use.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I can't get my head around colour spaces

On the left is a photo I'm editing in Lightroom, on the right is the same photo viewed in Chrome.

I just want my drat photos to look the same in browsers as they do in Lightroom!

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

psylent posted:

I can't get my head around colour spaces

On the left is a photo I'm editing in Lightroom, on the right is the same photo viewed in Chrome.

I just want my drat photos to look the same in browsers as they do in Lightroom!

Everything I do in Lightroom looks substantially different when I look at it in Chrome later.

Usually much darker.

I hate it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

are you exporting to sRGB? Chrome has appalling colour management so it shits itself at any other profile than sRGB.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

tijag posted:

Everything I do in Lightroom looks substantially different when I look at it in Chrome later.

Usually much darker.

I hate it.

I thought this had to do with me not using a calibrated monitor... Interesting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shmoogy posted:

I thought this had to do with me not using a calibrated monitor... Interesting.

Not necessarily, every single program can implement color in a completely unique way if it so chooses!

It's far more complex a problem than is reasonable.. look up stories about how NASA processes their images for public consumption if you want to get a glimpse of that world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Paragon8 posted:

are you exporting to sRGB? Chrome has appalling colour management so it shits itself at any other profile than sRGB.

I am exporting to sRGB.

• Locked thread