Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

nern posted:

so, i did pretty well on the LSAT (167)
167 isn't impressive with a good UGPA, let alone with a poo poo one. retake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Direwolf posted:

Also I got a (summer) job whoo

Congrats!

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Argh I want my grades. They're supposed to come out within the next couple days. Don't laugh at me if they're bad please.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Oh my god yes. It's been four loving years of feeling like I've got absolutely nothing done. There's no sense of closure; no sense of accomplishment. As soon as I finish an application, boom on to the next one, ad infinitum, until I leave the examining corps.

That's pretty much just like a patent prep/pros job too, except instead of lording over lowly patent attorneys now you'll be groveling at the feet of patent examiners to try and get them to allow the lovely little incremental "improvement" that your client wants to patent.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

gret posted:

That's pretty much just like a patent prep/pros job too, except instead of lording over lowly patent attorneys now you'll be groveling at the feet of patent examiners to try and get them to allow the lovely little incremental "improvement" that your client wants to patent.

I dunno, I feel like I get enough variety with patent drafting, patent prosecution, clearance opinions, due diligence, portfolio analysis, litigation technical support, and various other stuff that my job has to beat the soul crushing boredom of citing the same prior art references against the same inventions day in and day out for years at a time.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of valid reasons to hate being an attorney, and in particular a patent prosecutor, but I'm pretty sure patent prosecution beats examination in the "feeling of boredom and futility" column.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
I guess depending on your firm and practice, you may also have to grovel at the feet of or take the abuse of in-house counsel or other clients. I've got an in-house counsel that went on a massive power trip after leaving a law firm with a reputation of abusing their associates.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

167 isn't impressive with a good UGPA, let alone with a poo poo one. retake

This. I have no idea why that guy thought 167 was good. Congrats on being below the bottom quarter for every legitimate law school.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

HiddenReplaced posted:

This. I have no idea why that guy thought 167 was good. Congrats on being below the bottom quarter for every legitimate law school.

A 167 was a legitimately good score.

10 years ago.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HiddenReplaced posted:

He's above the lower quartile for several T14s, if that's what you're saying. And he probably thought 167 was good because it's a 94th/95th percentile score, which your average person would think is a good score. He just doesn't realize that there are very few law schools that give you good job prospects and with his grades he needs to do better to have a good shot at them.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

MoFauxHawk posted:

He's above the lower quartile for several T14s, if that's what you're saying.

It was not. If that had been what I was saying, that's what I would have said.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
From what I understand everyone crams for the bar in July. Unfortunately, I begin work in July; do you think its feasible to do the bulk of my studying in June and sort of coast in July?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HiddenReplaced posted:

It was not. If that had been what I was saying, that's what I would have said.

Then what does "below the bottom quarter" mean? That makes even less sense since below the bottom quarter would be even worse than below the lower quartile, and he's above the lower quartile for 5 T13s.

Edit: Evilweasel, Berkeley's lower quartile was 162 in 2011, Penn's was 166, and Stanford's was 167, and I wasn't even including that one in my count. Obviously with his grades he can't get into those schools anyway, but that's not the point.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 11, 2012

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MoFauxHawk posted:

Then what does "below the bottom quarter" mean? That makes even less sense since below the bottom quarter would be even worse than below the lower quartile.

He means the lowest T14 schools are not "legitimate law schools".

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

fougera posted:

From what I understand everyone crams for the bar in July. Unfortunately, I begin work in July; do you think its feasible to do the bulk of my studying in June and sort of coast in July?

It's really a June + July thing. If you cram in June you will forget everything by the end of July. Don't expect to do zero prep during July and pass.

That said, lots of people work while doing bar prep. It's doable but tough and you will hate your life.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

HiddenReplaced posted:

I went to a perfectly good law school and got a perfectly good law job with a 167 mister :colbert:

Seriously though, retake it. I went seven years ago. Edit: maybe six.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

diospadre posted:

It's really a June + July thing. If you cram in June you will forget everything by the end of July. Don't expect to do zero prep during July and pass.

That said, lots of people work while doing bar prep. It's doable but tough and you will hate your life.

I worked pretty much full time in June, then took July off and passed without any problems. It wasn't really that hard.

(Doing the reverse would have been terrible though.)

VVVVVV: this was critical to my successful bar preparation.

Kalman fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 11, 2012

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

diospadre posted:

I STRONGLY recommend doing the bar prep videos on your own time by downloading them and playing them back faster.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

evilweasel posted:

He means the lowest T14 schools are not "legitimate law schools".

Good thing he went to Duke

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

evilweasel posted:

T14 schools

Georgetown sympathizer spotted.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Direwolf posted:

Good thing he went to Duke

Evilweasel is correct, he gets me.

As of the class of 2014, Duke is no longer a legitimate law school. Back me up here Sulecrist.

Also, class of 2014 is the first class in like 6 years without a lawgoon in it. Coincidence?

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 11, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

HiddenReplaced posted:

As of the class of 2014, Duke is no longer a legitimate law school. Back me up here Sulecrist.

Also, class of 2014 is the first class in like 6 years without a lawgoon in it. Coincidence?

yeah our 1Ls are poo poo, I'm sad to say. the men are dumb and the women are dumpy. and their 25% LSAT is a shoddy-as 167. in my year, our bottom quartile held a bracing 168. class of 2011 had their balls in their mouth on test day I'm sure, but anyway they applied in goldener, saladier days.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Sulecrist posted:

saladier days.

You don't make friends with salad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

I went to a perfectly good law school and got a perfectly good law job* with a 167 mister :colbert:
*In Alaska.

I also got a 167 (or was it a 168? I don't remember), went to the same law school, one year before bighead (I think Bighead is my evil twin) and I'm in a warmer place, but it is still the IE.

Take it again!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

sigmachiev posted:

You don't make friends with salad.

Maybe not at Berkeley.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

HiddenReplaced posted:

MoFauxHawk is, in fact, a 2014 representative at my prestigious institution, though I'll leave defending his year to him.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
As the Pie King here, I have to say that I think my subjects/classmates here are really cool. And there's a lot of pretty girls, despite what everybody told me.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MoFauxHawk posted:

As the Pie King here, I have to say that I think my subjects/classmates here are really cool. And there's a lot of pretty girls, despite what everybody told me.

...and that was how the Law Thread learned that President PIEKING was suffering from an irreversible, degenerative disease of the optic nerve

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
I feel like I've seen this chart before somewhere.

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/01/the-value-of-the-ll-m-degree-still-low/

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

10-8 posted:

I feel like I've seen this chart before somewhere.

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/01/the-value-of-the-ll-m-degree-still-low/

quote:

Photo credit: some dude on TLS

Jerks!

Also, I laughed at the fact that comments are automatically hidden "for my protection". What, am I going to be hurt by inadvertently reading internet comments? Hahaha what is this.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I think they started doing that after a virus was embedded into a comment and infected a bunch of people who automatically loaded it.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh wow, I take back my snarkiness then.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zzyzx posted:

I think they started doing that after a virus was embedded into a comment and infected a bunch of people who automatically loaded it.

Also the ATL comments are chock full of enough crazy racism and other bigotries that, more than this thread, make me wonder what profession I'm getting myself into.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

The Warszawa posted:

Also the ATL comments are chock full of enough crazy racism and other bigotries that, more than this thread, make me wonder what profession I'm getting myself into.
Do you read xoxo? If you don't, start reading it, and remember that many lawyers enjoy spending all day posting racial slurs in all caps on a message board.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Soothing Vapors posted:

...and that was how the Law Thread learned that President PIEKING was suffering from an irreversible, degenerative disease of the optic nerve

Hey, most people think I'm pretty harsh with this kind of thing, actually.

Also gently caress ATL for crediting a TLS person. Whoever made that chart should contact them.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MoFauxHawk posted:

Also gently caress ATL for crediting a TLS person. Whoever made that chart should contact them.

Who made the original flowcharts, anyway? Does anyone know?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

entris posted:

Linguica?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

entris posted:

I made the LLM image, but I think I took it from a ASCII art flowchart made by 10-8.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What about the big gently caress-off flowchart?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Heh the LLM flowchart made it onto TaxProf blog: http://taxprof.typepad.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

Heh the LLM flowchart made it onto TaxProf blog: http://taxprof.typepad.com/

Goons are changing the world man!