Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
That's a pretty good idea, I wouldn't have thought of it. I'd have thought that if you did get stung, it'd be harder to scrape out than if you got stung through bare skin and/or generally shittier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

(my hosting)

I got stung through the gloves once. Snapped the gloves back and the sting came out with it; barely any venom got in. This is the glove turned inside out.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

j4on posted:

(my hosting)

I got stung through the gloves once. Snapped the gloves back and the sting came out with it; barely any venom got in. This is the glove turned inside out.

This. If anything its easier to get the sting out. Just pop the glove off and out comes the stinger and away goes the alarm pheromone.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Oh man, that's pretty loving sweet. I'm assuming they don't care about the nitrile smell, at least unless the first time you put them on you starting punching the poo poo out of comb or something.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

The instructor at the class I took said that bees are less likely to sting the gloves because it doesn't feel like flesh. I don't know if that's true or not.

Our colony is totally screwed this year. We had an absent queen and it took us four weeks to finally get one because it was too hot to ship them. Finally introduced her and went back a week later to check and found laying workers. We're just going to harvest the honey that is there and start over next year.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I guess it depends on the glove. I was wearing one hairy welding glove on one hand and a long leather glove on the other today and the welding one got stung a few times, the leather not at all.

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006
so I stumbled on this thread one day and loved reading about bees. Recently I have been thinking about brewing a Mead (prickly pear mead to be exact) and started thinking about where I could get 20lb of Honey.

So that's why I have come to you. I'm in northern IL (West Chicago Suburbs) and I would like to find someone local who can sell me Honey rather then going through a big business.

Where would I find someone and what would be a fair price for said honey?

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
There's a guy selling honey in SA-Mart, actually. He might be able to help.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Farmers' markets often have someone selling local honey. Also contact your local hippy-dippy healthfood-type places, since they always have honey and often have local stocks.

Alternatively, find your local beekeepers' association and contact them. Someone will surely want to sell you bulk honey.

One more idea: find the local beekeepers' supply store. They tend to be fairly few and far between, but since you're in the Chicago area, I suspect there's probably one around. Those places often sell honey (which they buy from beekeepers) and if not, can surely refer you to someone.

As for fair price: my local honey place buys honey from beekeepers at a minimum of $3/lb, more for interesting flavors. That's a wholesale price, so you should be prepared to pay at least that much. Retail I'd expect to pay something like $6/lb., give or take.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

ShotgunWillie you are mad, bad and dagerous to know son! I'm such a baby when it comes to beekeeping, if I go anywhere near I hive I dress up like I'm going to walk on the moon, and even then I freak out everytime a bee starts buzzing into my veil. One of these days I'm going to HTFU, but until that day I shall admire you crazy keepers from afar, with a smoker in my gauntlet clad hand.

As an aside, I'm in America at the moment (Arizona) and have just purchased my first ever jar of desert honey. Yum.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Dr Scoofles posted:

ShotgunWillie you are mad, bad and dagerous to know son! I'm such a baby when it comes to beekeeping, if I go anywhere near I hive I dress up like I'm going to walk on the moon, and even then I freak out everytime a bee starts buzzing into my veil. One of these days I'm going to HTFU, but until that day I shall admire you crazy keepers from afar, with a smoker in my gauntlet clad hand.

As an aside, I'm in America at the moment (Arizona) and have just purchased my first ever jar of desert honey. Yum.

Haha, thanks. I've been doing this for a long time, and I know the risks. I find them acceptable. My dad suits up. So do I, if the bees are cranky. Most of the time, I don't. That hat is about as effective as a veil in my experience. I guess the bees don't like my hair.

If you're in AZ, look up Dee Lusby. She is the queen of organic beekeeping and is completely nutters. Best honey I've ever tasted. Tell her that Sam Comfort's friend Tim ONeal says hello if you do.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My bees are in danger of exploding. I think that they're thinking of swarming. DON'T SWARM!

They've just been more active than usual. A lot of them out. It must be the heat or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah we're having a bit of a heat wave and it's also our late summer dearth so there's less nectar out there to get. Mine are pretty active right now too.

AFK SWARM OF BEES
Jun 24, 2008

You are swearing now that someday you'll destroy me. Remember: far better women than you have sworn the same. Go and look for them now.

Maximusi posted:

My bees are in danger of exploding. I think that they're thinking of swarming. DON'T SWARM!

They've just been more active than usual. A lot of them out. It must be the heat or something.

I was really worried the bees were going to swarm in early August. It was so hot and humid, and they were crazy active. But luckily we've had a cold snap and I think that's tempered them a little. I still see them hanging out on the front board, but not bubbling out like before.

Since we're approaching fall and winter, what tips do you experienced beekeepers have for us novices who are going into our first cold season with our new hives? I live in Atlanta, so the fall/winter weather ranges from mild to cold.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I did my first extraction yesterday at Philadelphia's 2nd annual honey fest. Had a great turn out. Pictures below, but first I am seeking some advice.

I have one hive that will not make it on its own through the winter. They have all of 5 frames filled out and almost no food. I should at least try to get them through the winter, but what is the best way? Move them to a nuc and keep it on top of a strong hive with a double screen board while feeding them all winter long?

Pictures!

People gathering to watch the extraction process and ask questions about bee keeping.

Using the uncapping fork to uncap. I found this much easier than the knife since I had 10 frames in the hive and the wax stopped at the wood.

Interested kids

Using the knife to uncap

An uncapped frame. The center is dark for I believe 2 reasons. The first being that the queen went into the honey super and laid eggs. I put on a queen excluder to keep her out once I found but, but by the time the bees hatched out the spring flow was over so the bees probably couldn't fill it up again until the fall flow, which is typically darker honey.

Loading up the extractor

Inside the extractor. We tried 5 frames at first to do two even loads, but the extractor didn't like that and wobbled way too much.

The honey must flow!

A now empty frame

All of the left over cappings

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Fantastic pictures. I have so many happy childhood memories of doing this with my dad. I use a big knife and am seriously considering getting one of those plastic doohickies instead.

By the by - I would be really interested to know what people here think about all organic & minimum contact beekeeping. I picked up a copy of 'The Complete Idiots Guide to Beekeeping' the other day (I know I know, it was like 50p in a Borders closedown sale) and was shocked at somewhat hardline stance the authors took against treatment and feeding. They argued hotly against treating for varroa, saying it's better to let a hive die than contaminate them with unatural chemicals. Anybody here practise clean keeping? How hard is it?

Oh, and here is my second attempt at making honey soap (first attemt bombed). Still not quite right, it's perfect soap but still isn't very 'smooth' looking all the way through. I'm confident I'll have it cracked by the time I'm looking to hit the farmers market though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

I have one hive that will not make it on its own through the winter. They have all of 5 frames filled out and almost no food. I should at least try to get them through the winter, but what is the best way? Move them to a nuc and keep it on top of a strong hive with a double screen board while feeding them all winter long?

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Exactly how to get your hive through winter will depend on where you live - e.g., how cold it gets, how long the winter is, etc. obviously you'll need to feed the hive. Putting a nuc on top of a strong hive is probably a more advanced technique that I don't know about - I'm a california goon so we have mild winters and I haven't done as much reading about stuff like that.

Dr Scoofles posted:

By the by - I would be really interested to know what people here think about all organic & minimum contact beekeeping. I picked up a copy of 'The Complete Idiots Guide to Beekeeping' the other day (I know I know, it was like 50p in a Borders closedown sale) and was shocked at somewhat hardline stance the authors took against treatment and feeding. They argued hotly against treating for varroa, saying it's better to let a hive die than contaminate them with unatural chemicals. Anybody here practise clean keeping? How hard is it?

First question: was that book written before Colony Collapse Disorder became a big deal?

Either way, though: there are definitely two minds about this stuff. On the one hand, anti-treatment evangalists say that improving the genetic stock of honey bees is only possible if we allow "weak" bees to fail and die - by treating for things like varroa, we're helping to prevent genetic selection from doing its job. Other arguments are about using "harsh chemicals" or whatever, due to harm (real or perceived) to the environment, the harvested products, other bees, or whatever.

On the other side: CCD is a real thing, and it may be that by allowing varroa to destroy a hive that otherwise would be doing well, we actually knock out bees that are resisting CCD (or whatever causes it). Also, we're already doing something unnatural just by keeping honey bees. It's not like they're native species - in fact, our honey bees assuredly put pressure on native bee species. If we are going to keep bees and harvest honey from them and move their hives around and artificially breed them and all that stuff, then we're already stomping all over what they'd do "naturally" if left alone. It may well be that our own practices encourage varroa (or other diseases and parasites) - things like using artificial frame foundations which set cell size, choosing entrance size ourselves, constantly opening a hive and messign with it, queen excluders, putting multiple hives in close proximity to each other, etc. etc. - so in a sense, we "owe" the bees to help them with problems that we are contributing to.

As for my own opinion: I'm willing to treat my bees, but I prefer to use nontoxic and low-invasiveness interventions. Powdering them with sugar (encourages grooming which removes mites and parasites) and using grease patties (natural grease mixed with peppermint oil which the mites hate, but the bees don't mind) seem pretty benign to me. I'm not willing to use hard chemical treatments, particularly since I'm not a commercial keeper - if my hive fails, I'm out a few bucks and I feel sad, but it's not my livelihood at stake.

I don't think it's helpful to get angry at people who treat heavily, nor do I think those who choose not to treat are being stupid. I suspect that by having lots of beekeepers trying many different approaches, we're doing the best thing; whatever works best is most likely to succeed, and if something turns out to be very harmful, well, at least not everyone is doing it.

And for the evolutionary/genetic pressure thing: I've studied genetics and evolution enough to know that it doesn't take a very high mortality rate to have a profound effect on population genetics. If you have bees which are genetically resistant to varroa and bees that are genetically vulnerable, a mortality rate difference between the two of just 1% is sufficient that resistant bees will become the majority in the population within a very short time. Totally eliminating the varroa-vulnerable genes, on the other hand, takes far longer and a larger discrepancy, especially if "vulnerability" is not the same as "100% fatal". As long as a large percentage of varroa-vulnerable gene-carrying bees survive each year anyway, the genes will remain in the population.

This is all supposing that there is a gene or assemblage of genes which definitively determines varroa vulnerability, which is not certain. Alternatively, you could have a situaion analogous to sicle-cell in humans, where vulnerability is attached to genes which have a secondary advantage (malaria resistance), ensuring they will remain in the population at significant percentage. Say (just wildly speculating here) suppose varroa-resistant populations have genes which encourage spending lots of time grooming, but that this activity reduces the overall time foragers spend foraging, thus reducing the amount of food gathered on average compared to non-resistant bees.

Ultimately my own conclusion is that there are good arguments for taking a non-invasive approach, and I'll prefer that for myself, but that anyone who stakes out a position of certainty in this matter is probably taking too extreme a position, given what we actually know (and by "know", I mean, have determined imperically via controlled experiment and scientific study, not "know" via practical but subjective experience and hearsay) about the issue.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Leperflesh posted:

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Exactly how to get your hive through winter will depend on where you live - e.g., how cold it gets, how long the winter is, etc. obviously you'll need to feed the hive. Putting a nuc on top of a strong hive is probably a more advanced technique that I don't know about - I'm a california goon so we have mild winters and I haven't done as much reading about stuff like that.

I have urban bees in Philadelphia. Winters are not too bad here, at least compared to those in Wisconsin that I am used to. I have asked a couple more experienced people and it sounds like the double screen board will keep the bees warmer. If anyone has experience with this technique please post here or PM me, I am curious of your experiences as well as any thoughts as what I should do with the extra space. They don't have all of the frames filled out, so I am not sure if I should move all the finished frames to the middle and fill out the sides with dummy frames or something else. I just put a gallon of 2:1 sugar syrup on their hive so hopefully they can start to store that soon.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Any opinions on Apiguard?

I bought some a year back, haven't used it yet, but plan on giving it a shot shortly.

Aside from SHB still haven't found anything in my hives *knock on wood*, but I believe in the old adage about an ounce of prevention.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Any opinions on Apiguard?

I bought some a year back, haven't used it yet, but plan on giving it a shot shortly.

Aside from SHB still haven't found anything in my hives *knock on wood*, but I believe in the old adage about an ounce of prevention.

I've already treated my bees with apiguard. Fingers crossed it does the job. I remember as a kid my parents losing their entire bee stock to varroa, I'm WAY too much of a worrier to not treat my little chums. I too would be interested to hear from folk who use it, this is my first year so I have no experience with it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Did you do a mite count to check if you needed to treat first? I did the sticky board thing and two hive had no mites drop and three days and the other only had one. I was hoping not to treat since it was my first year and, assuming that test gave a semi-accurate estimate of mite population, I don't have to.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's another mite control thing that we're trying this year. Varroa mites prefer drone cells (because they are bigger and the maturation rate is different). So, we bought and added to the hive a drone cell frame. The bees built it out a bit and this weekend we removed it from the hive, with the frame showing perhaps 50 or so "bullet" cells with drone larvae.

Then the hard part... we stuck it in the freezer. You kill the drones, but the idea is that hopefully you've trapped a large percentage of the varroa in the hive, so the mite load should now be lower.

I hate to kill bees, but supposedly this method works, and it's totally non-invasive, no chemicals or whatever. It'll be difficult to say whether it works or not - I mean, if the hive survives, it might have survived anyway, and if it doesn't, it might have failed despite removing varroa. But my wife wanted to try it so we are.

Weitz
Jun 16, 2008
Hey everyone!
I've been out of here for a while, but I've *finally* gotten to NYC. I live up around the northwest corner of central park. Any who, I joined a large community garden for veggie growing, and they were all "AUGH ALLERGIES" at the idea of a honey bee hive in the spring. I was disappointed, but not all that surprised. It's a pretty big garden, more like two-in-one compared to the other Green Thumbs and lots of the kids have members.

I passed by another garden, much smaller, that only grows flowers and is only a block from my apartment. All of the members are older (there are maybe 7 in all) and three of them seemed really interested when I came in and chatted about it. They said they'll pass on the info to their president and I should hear back from them soon.

So that's exciting!

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
I've just started beekeeping classes and my plan is to get a hive started this spring. We learned about the different bee races and I was wondering if people who have experience can tell me how much more aggressive Russians are than the Italians. Or any other races, I just think I would have trouble getting anything else around here. I have dogs and neighbor kids wandering around, I really don't want anyone stung if they happen to wander too close to the hive.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
Uh oh.

ENHANCE.

I'm way over the recommended mite count. Treating with Apiguard now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

rangergirl posted:

I've just started beekeeping classes and my plan is to get a hive started this spring. We learned about the different bee races and I was wondering if people who have experience can tell me how much more aggressive Russians are than the Italians. Or any other races, I just think I would have trouble getting anything else around here. I have dogs and neighbor kids wandering around, I really don't want anyone stung if they happen to wander too close to the hive.

Carniolans (that's the "russian" variety, from the caucasus) have a reputation for being a bit more aggressive than the more-common Italian bees. That said; I really think this comes out more when you're working the hive, rather than just random bystanders. Dogs learn very quickly to leave the bees alone, and it's unlikely anyone will be stung just from walking past the hive.

You can get a bee tangled in your clothes if you wander through the beeline, though. The beeline being the main avenue the bees are taking to get out of the hive entrance and up into the air. A bee that gets in your hair or under a sleeve is more likely to sting. So, you'll want to place your hive in a way that the entrance isn't pointing right at a nearby pathway.

One more thing: all bees can be more or less aggressive depending on conditions. If the hive is queenless, or is fighting off invading robber bees, or even is just dealing with the late-summer dearth (when nectar sources become scarce) may be more aggressive than normal. In contrast, bees that are cold, or gorged on honey (such as during a swarm), or are basically just happy with current conditions, will be more docile and tolerant of the presence of people, to the extent that many beekeepers open and work hives without wearing any safety equipment at all.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I have Russian bees and they seem to be really docile. I've also read in several bee books that Russians are the most docile of all the breeds...Ask 5 different beekeepers, get 5 different answers.

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer

Maximusi posted:

I have Russian bees and they seem to be really docile. I've also read in several bee books that Russians are the most docile of all the breeds...Ask 5 different beekeepers, get 5 different answers.

I would like to get Russians just because they are supposed to be more hardy and if my beekeeping experience is anything like my other agricultural experiences I need to start with something hard to kill. I will have an electric fence around the hive, we have LOTS of bears in the area so I'm not terribly worried about anyone getting too close.
My other question, which is kind of stupid, is if anyone with chickens has a problem with their birds eating bees/getting stung. I don't tend to see the chickens eat bees, but we don't have many bees around here really. They eat everything else that flies around...moths, dragonflies, horseflies. Are they smart enough to leave the bees alone? I know a couple of hens aren't going to wipe out a hive, I'm more worried about my little bantams getting some kind of reaction to a bee sting from trying to eat one.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -