Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

If you're having performance issues due to low memory, just run something like KillBackground to to clear out all background apps at once. I really like it on my 3GS.

You shouldn't have to reboot.

I recommend Remove Background. You can exclude applications from the kill list and also set the action in Activator. I just swipe left on my status bar and it runs invisible in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

GoodCleanFun posted:

Search Cydia for xcon.

Thanks, works like a charm!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have an iPhone 3G running 4.2.1 with an unlimited plan.

Can I jailbreak this without unlocking it? Do I do so by just not checking the use iPad baseband in redsn0w?

What does unlocking actually do? I know it used to be used to switch carriers, but does it do other functions?

Could I still use my phone as a hotspot or download larger files with it still locked?

Even though Apple decided to depricate the iOS on my device and I really need to upgrade, I am a huge baby about the "POINT OF NO RETURN" stuff.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

UltraRed posted:

I have an iPhone 3G running 4.2.1 with an unlimited plan.

Can I jailbreak this without unlocking it? Do I do so by just not checking the use iPad baseband in redsn0w?

What does unlocking actually do? I know it used to be used to switch carriers, but does it do other functions?

Could I still use my phone as a hotspot or download larger files with it still locked?

Even though Apple decided to depricate the iOS on my device and I really need to upgrade, I am a huge baby about the "POINT OF NO RETURN" stuff.

Yeah don't unlock it. Just jailbreak it without using the iPad baseband; unlocking only affects the ability to use the phone on different carriers. A locked/unlocked phone doesn't affect any of the utility of jailbreaking.

mystes
May 31, 2006

coldplay chiptunes posted:

How many absolutely essential jailbreak features are there except for the "don't pay for apps" feature? I'm all for a 4S jailbreak whenever it becomes available for various tweaks to the user experience, but I can't honestly imagine donating to jailbreak development or freaking out and ditching the phone over it.
I'm posting this from my AT&T iPhone 4 on a rental sim I couldn't use if my iPhone wasn't unlocked (which required jailbreaking).

I also find openssh, SBSettings, and a few other programs extremely useful

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Longshot, but is anyone aware of an Cydia app that would enable printing to Pictbridge enabled photo printers?

I'd love to be able to just plug my phone in and print a photo the way I can with a digital camera. There's certainly nothing on the official app store.

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...
Is there an media player or some way that I can increase playback speed of videos? My friend had a device which had that feature and I thought it was pretty cool.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

antisocial posted:

Is there an media player or some way that I can increase playback speed of videos? My friend had a device which had that feature and I thought it was pretty cool.
Googling "iPhone video player 2x speed" (no quotes) yielded several including VLC (pulled from the app store but still available if you're jail broken) and speeduptv in the official app store.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Has anyone used IntelliScreenX or something similar?

Since my phone is a work phone its most useful features are displaying things like calendar events and the default iCal lockscreen leaves much to be desired.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Some A5 progress:

https://twitter.com/#!/planetbeing/status/157217041605074945

quote:

@planetbeing
And we're out of the sandbox with @saurik's invaluable help! (well, at least there's a PoC) :D Turning out more complex than X-Gold 618.

(@planetbeing has been working with @pod2g and @saurik on the A5 cracking.)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Xenomorph posted:

Some A5 progress:

https://twitter.com/#!/planetbeing/status/157217041605074945

(@planetbeing has been working with @pod2g and @saurik on the A5 cracking.)

Can someone clarify what "out of the sandbox" means? I've never followed this stuff very closely so I don't actually understand what this is trying to say.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

Can someone clarify what "out of the sandbox" means? I've never followed this stuff very closely so I don't actually understand what this is trying to say.

it just means breaking part of the security of the device.

sandboxing in security terms is limiting access to only a few known interfaces that have been hardened so that code that's run in the sandbox can't escape the sandbox.

for example, the latest versions of internet explorer are sandboxed so that even if the web browser is compromised by a malicious webpage, the malicious code shouldn't be able to escalate even further and compromise the entire operating system.

that tweet means they have a proof of concept for escaping the sandbox but they're still a long, long way from release

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Anytime I try to update vanilla apps it tells me I haven't bought a major release yet and gives me the option to buy. This is with free apps like google+ and flixter. If I hit "yes" it sometimes works, and I never get charged.

Is this a jailbreak issue or something else?

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!

xie posted:

Has anyone used IntelliScreenX or something similar?

Since my phone is a work phone its most useful features are displaying things like calendar events and the default iCal lockscreen leaves much to be desired.

I'm using Lockinfo for exactly this. I have ~42 meetings per day, and I keep track of my next meetings right on my lockscreen. It shows me the subject, time and place. It's awesome!

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Cacahuate posted:

I'm using Lockinfo for exactly this. I have ~42 meetings per day, and I keep track of my next meetings right on my lockscreen. It shows me the subject, time and place. It's awesome!

Do you hand out parking tickets for a living? Or perhaps a milk man?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Cacahuate posted:

I'm just generally interested in what you do for a living

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...

randyest posted:

Googling "iPhone video player 2x speed" (no quotes) yielded several including VLC (pulled from the app store but still available if you're jail broken) and speeduptv in the official app store.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'm just generally interested in what you do for a living

Oops, sorry to disappoint, that was just a super exaggeration. I have like 6 or 7 meetings a day. Office worker, that's all, project management and process coordination.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
More updates today:

quote:

@xvolks
With the invaluable help of @pod2g, I've patched the kernel in corona to make iBooks work without the ugly tweak called xBooks. Still no ETA

pod2g on his Blog posted:

Sandox broken
Here are some news about the current work on the A5 research.

@planetbeing escaped from the sandbox with the help of @saurik. Thanks to their awesome work, there should be nothing left blocking for the A5 jailbreak.

Now it should be a matter of days. Still no precise ETA of course.

We all want this to be finished ASAP, we're getting tired!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Reposting this since it got eaten by the 'list your favorite JB apps' discussion a couple pages back:

Javid posted:

Is it possible to change the alert noise by app? Some apps have different sounds already, but I'd like to be able to tweak all of them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Javid posted:

Reposting this since it got eaten by the 'list your favorite JB apps' discussion a couple pages back:

Yeah. Usually the app in question has the sound file it uses for the alert somewhere in it's bundle structure. just find it and replace it in there. it's a tedious manual process similar to replacing app icons for themes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So heads up, anyone planning to jailbreak (on either A4 or A5) needs to go ahead and upgrade to 5.0.1. The newest 5.1 beta breaks the untethered jailbreak for the A4 that took so long to achieve. And pod2g is stating that the A5 jailbreak is days away at this point. So if you haven't upgraded do it before it's too late.

SENORsankyPANKY
Nov 27, 2007
Dang we so excited. This is going to be my first jailbreak. Can't wait for dis iPad to be supercharged

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Anyone know why IntelliScreenX would be asking me to authorize with Facebook periodically? It works fine when I do authorize it, but the program asks again a short while later.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Deadpool posted:

So heads up, anyone planning to jailbreak (on either A4 or A5) needs to go ahead and upgrade to 5.0.1. The newest 5.1 beta breaks the untethered jailbreak for the A4 that took so long to achieve. And pod2g is stating that the A5 jailbreak is days away at this point. So if you haven't upgraded do it before it's too late.

Are we fine if we have 5.0.1 shsh saved? Or should upgrade now just to be safe?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

iLikeMidgets posted:

Are we fine if we have 5.0.1 shsh saved? Or should upgrade now just to be safe?

I'm pretty sure that SHSHs don't work on 5.0+. They've been telling people to save them anyways in case an exploit is later found. So yeah, I'd upgrade to 5.0.1 for all my devices.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Yeah. Usually the app in question has the sound file it uses for the alert somewhere in it's bundle structure. just find it and replace it in there. it's a tedious manual process similar to replacing app icons for themes.

Even apps with the default 3-tone beep? That's what I'm looking to replace.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
You can't do it per app, but you can definitely change the 3 tone beep to something else. I'm rusty on the specifics, but that's how we used to get custom text tones before iOS5, we would change those sounds. (or use BiteSMS)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Blah. I want it to make different sounds depending on the app so I can tell if it's potentially important (SMS) or not (facebook).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Holy poo poo im reading through old pages to find sweet apps (seriously why doesnt the OP list more awesome apps and a quick description?) and fakeclockup set to 1.6x is so awesome for non-ipad2 4s people

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Doesn't fakeclockup cause some battery drain issues?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Mr Hands Colon posted:

At first I suspected it did but after keeping a close eye on it for a few weeks I can't say it does at all. I've bumped mine up to 3.3x speed

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
I turned off location services for weather to save battery, and just want to show my local weather in LockInfo/notification center, but when I turn off local weather, the weather widget stops showing any info (just says "Weather"), and the weather app seems to refuse to save my locations. Whenever I respring or force close the app it asks me to put in my location again. I can't seem to find anything from googling... anyone have any ideas?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Christoff posted:

Holy poo poo im reading through old pages to find sweet apps (seriously why doesnt the OP list more awesome apps and a quick description?) and fakeclockup set to 1.6x is so awesome for non-ipad2 4s people
Try the goon JB app list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&authkey=CMmC_5gE&hl=en_US#gid=0 and do feel free to fill in any of the "?"s with accurate data if you try out an app on 5.x and find out it works or not.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

No, it doesn't actually increase the clock speed, it just speeds up animations. That's why it's a "fake" clock-up.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Christoff posted:

Whenever the A5 jailbreak releases, someone should start a new thread with all-new information and a better list of must-have apps.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Goons, I need help. I downloaded a lot of cydia apps last week, and now I'm getting constant springboard crashes where my phone is forced into safe mode. Does anyone know what app could be causing this?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

prahanormal posted:

Goons, I need help. I downloaded a lot of cydia apps last week, and now I'm getting constant springboard crashes where my phone is forced into safe mode. Does anyone know what app could be causing this?
What device do you have? What apps did you install? Maybe if you list them someone might be able to spot something iffy. Or you could check the JB app compatibility list I posted a few posts up and see if you've installed anything with a "?" or "No" for compatibility with your iOS version.

Failing that, start uninstalling poo poo till it's fixed.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Javid posted:

Even apps with the default 3-tone beep? That's what I'm looking to replace.

Some apps embed the tritone alert sound even though they aren't supposed to. I think tritone is on there twice as well, once as tritone and once as voicemail.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

bazaar apparatus posted:

Whenever the A5 jailbreak releases, someone should start a new thread with all-new information and a better list of must-have apps.

Here's a quick run-down of poo poo I found while poking around or have used before that's not in the OP.

VLC - It's VLC media player, for the iphone. SSH or use software to get files into var/mobile/media.

Activator Set any kind toggle to activate any app. Literally any kind of gesture you could do with the iphone. I think most jailbroken apps pretty much require/include this now.

Autolock SBSettings - Don't think it's included with SBSettins. Adds a toggle to disable autolock. There's a whole section on cydia with nice SBSettings add-ons. Most jailbroken apps can have an off/toggle.

Cydelete - Delete cydia apps like regular apps with the wiggle.

flu.x - Amazing PC app on the iphone. "Flu.x warms your screen to match your lighting at night. Takes away the bright blue glow.

Fakeclockup - Speeds up animations. 1.6x seems to be the goon consensus on optimal speed. http://hitoriblog.com/apt/ is the repo to add to get it

Five icon Dock - It's five icons, in your dock.

Manual correct[/b[] - Only corrects your misspelled words if you click it.

Quickscroll 2 - Makes scrolling easier and adds a scrollbar. You can use a gesture to help.

Remove background - Click it to remove all apps from the background. You can add exceptions. There's also an sbsettings add-on for this which makes it easier.

[b]Springflash
- An LED backlit flashlight used with activator.

Now if I could just find a QWERTY keyboard upgrade with numbers....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Christoff posted:

:words:
Now if I could just find a QWERTY keyboard upgrade with numbers....
This has been around forever, but I haven't tested it on 5.x http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/02/jailbreak-app-5row-qwerty-keyboard-adds-another-row-of-keys-to-iphones-virtual-keyboard.html

Google "5-row keyboard iOS" for more options. I have "5-row keyboard for ipad" on my 4.3.3 ipad2 and it's awesome; still waiting for an A5 jailbreak for my 4s to try some new 5.x options.

If you try some keyboard mods please to update the app list according to your iOS version and success:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&authkey=CMmC_5gE&hl=en_US#gid=0

• Locked thread