Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

For those people who own a NEX-3 or NEX-5, I am sure everyone of you have a motherfucking disgusting LCD cover like mine.

I followed the instruction in this page and replaced mine with some fancy Chinese knock off screen protector. This thing is really hard.

(back of the cover)

I just want to let you guys know its very easy to apply. It's much easier than a regular phone screen protector. You see the LCD screen is recess slightly so you can slot the hard cover right on to it.

voila

JYC NEX-3C screen protector $3 bucks on ebay.

I'm glad to know that I'm both not the only one with a beat-to-poo poo NEX LCD cover, and not the only one that was going to go the DIY route on fixing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does the nex 5 and nex 7 have the same oled viewfinder? I want to try them out at a photography store but all they have is nex 5 around here.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

keyframe posted:

Does the nex 5 and nex 7 have the same oled viewfinder? I want to try them out at a photography store but all they have is nex 5 around here.

Yeah, the auxiliary one for the 5n the same as the one built into the 7.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

It's also the same EVF as the a65 and a77, so assuming you can find one of those, you're set.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 11, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Isn't that "screen protector" just one of those plastic film jobbies that the put on there for transport?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

spankmeister posted:

Isn't that "screen protector" just one of those plastic film jobbies that the put on there for transport?

The linked article posted:

This layer you can see is NOT the peel-off protector supplied when the camera is new.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RustedChrome posted:

Reading comprehension :downs:

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
has anyone bought a spare battery for there nex?

i got this from amazon and its terrible, it drops by 1-2% charge every time i take a photo

I need a second battery but cant really afford (and dont want to spend) £50 on the sony battery

does anyone have any specific battery recommendations?
will this one be ok?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Sony-NP-FW50-NPFW50-Power/dp/B0042AFV8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326295466&sr=8-2

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bob Socko posted:

It's also the same EVF as the a65 and a77, so assuming you can find one of those, you're set.

It may be the same as far as the actual screen part goes, but the A77 viewfinder works a lot better with way less lag than the 5N EVF, at least in the units I got a chance to mess around with.

If you want to see a good EVF, check out the Nikon V1. Seriously.

Also, watch out for those laminated glass LCD protectors. I tried them out on my Canon 40D and cracked two of them. They crack really easily and when they do, they can scratch the screen underneath and then there's the scratching and scuffing that can occur while removing them. I recommend going with plastic film screen protectors like the ones for cell phones because they're cheap, easy to replace and can take a beating.

HPL fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 11, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skam posted:

i got this from amazon and its terrible, it drops by 1-2% charge every time i take a photo

I need a second battery but cant really afford (and dont want to spend) £50 on the sony battery

will this one be ok?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Sony-NP-FW50-NPFW50-Power/dp/B0042AFV8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326295466&sr=8-2

I got a 5n competible cheap battery on ebay and it work as well as the original.

I have since lost the original and I haven't brought a third one, becuase I haven't had an situation that let me use the whole battery in one day.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 11, 2012

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

whatever7 posted:

For those people who own a NEX-3 or NEX-5, I am sure everyone of you have a motherfucking disgusting LCD cover like mine.

That's cool. I see bargain NEX3s on ebay all the time with similar looking screens.

How bad does it affect using the camera? I'd imagine you'd notice it much less when the screen is on?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ease posted:

That's cool. I see bargain NEX3s on ebay all the time with similar looking screens.

How bad does it affect using the camera? I'd imagine you'd notice it much less when the screen is on?

When the screen is on you dont notice it But its a matter of principle. I also black out the chrome mount to make it less ricy.

I got this NEX3 on ebay too. $220 shipping.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I was just thinking randomly about lenses when I thought that no one has made a mirrorless tilt lens. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult for Sony to take something like an Alpha mount 28mm f/2.8 and build a tilt NEX mount on it? I mean I know you can do it easily with manual lenses and adapters, but what about something official?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

I was just thinking randomly about lenses when I thought that no one has made a mirrorless tilt lens. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult for Sony to take something like an Alpha mount 28mm f/2.8 and build a tilt NEX mount on it? I mean I know you can do it easily with manual lenses and adapters, but what about something official?

I think it's "difficult" because NEX cameras use APS-C sensors, so you need a medium format lens to cover the sensor when you tilt. When you end up getting an adapter + lens, it's usually 1/2-3/4 of the way to an actual tilt-shift.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Shmoogy posted:

I think it's "difficult" because NEX cameras use APS-C sensors, so you need a medium format lens to cover the sensor when you tilt. When you end up getting an adapter + lens, it's usually 1/2-3/4 of the way to an actual tilt-shift.

Not shift, just tilt. The 28mm f/2.8 is a full frame lens so it should have a larger image circle than APS-C. You wouldn't need full-blown tilt, just enough for the usual tilt effects that are popular now.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

This guy has been uploading pics taken by the X-Pro1, resized unfortunately. There's a couple ISO 6400 shots in there too.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Xpro-1 walkthrough with the dpreview guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LXL_YraX8dc

Holy crap they improved the menu system and general operation speed a million times compared to x100. This is very good news for the camera.

edit: Another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gzREBGKUFI&feature=related

keyframe fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 11, 2012

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Skam posted:

will this one be ok?
Sounds like you may have a defective battery - cheap knockoff or not, I can't imagine they'd release a battery that's only good for 50-100 shots.

I have a Power2000 battery for my NEX. While I haven't done any sort of side-by-side testing, it seems to have a pretty similar life to the Sony battery. I'm having trouble finding it online, but this is definitely NOT it. The one I have has a blue Power2000 label, and the recycle/CE/garbage symbols are arranged vertically along the side.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Welp... :smith:

quote:

The body construction is solid enough but the 35mm lens didn’t feel as heavy as I was expecting. 1/3 stop increments on the aperture is a nice addition but the focus-by-wire system still leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. You just feel so disconnected from the camera when you use it in that way.

http://www.prophotocoalition.com/index.php/dcarr/story/hands_on_impressions_of_the_fuji_x-pro_1

I can't loving believe fuji made the same mistake twice.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
There go the Fuji-to-NEX adapters.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

http://www.prophotocoalition.com/index.php/dcarr/story/hands_on_impressions_of_the_fuji_x-pro_1

Could be worse, fly by wire makes autofocus pretty fast usually, I think..

quote:

I experimented with the speed of the AF system as best I could in the booth and it seems to be considerably improved upon the X100’s which was or still is the worst of any camera I’ve ever owned. Despite the obvious improvements though it still falls way shot of the AF speed and accuracy achieved by Sony in the NEX-7 and Panasonic with the GX1.

At least it seems to be better than the x100.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does these lenses offer full time MF during AF?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

whatever7 posted:

Does these lenses offer full time MF during AF?

This is all I want. Fast manual focus. If all else fails the M adapter + some leica/voiglander lenses should solve the manual focus problem. I hope. :pray:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

Not shift, just tilt. The 28mm f/2.8 is a full frame lens so it should have a larger image circle than APS-C. You wouldn't need full-blown tilt, just enough for the usual tilt effects that are popular now.

Yeah, I use a Nikon 21mm f/2.8 on a homemade adapter for my NEX tiltin' needs. You can hit the corners of the coverage, but only if you're going crazy with the angle.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

How many tilt/shift lenses are there for the established systems? It's probably not a big enough market to justify any real first-party investment.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

keyframe posted:

Booo. The X100 AF doesn't bother me often, but it's obviously not a very good AF solution. They absolutely should have addressed both the focus by wire and AF speed for a system camera at this price tag.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

How many tilt/shift lenses are there for the established systems? It's probably not a big enough market to justify any real first-party investment.
This would be more of a toy thing though. Tilt/shift lenses on other systems are for pro use, this would be more like tilt for the masses.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

This would be more of a toy thing though. Tilt/shift lenses on other systems are for pro use, this would be more like tilt for the masses.

There is a Nex Tilt adaptor on the Rugift.com website: http://rugift.com/canon-eos-sony-nex-tilt.htm

They have for nikon and minolta too. 8 degrees of tilt

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Another preview of the X-Pro on Engadget
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/fujifilm-x-pro1-interchangeable-lens-camera-preview-video/

Engadget posted:

Based on samples we saw today that were captured with a prototype camera, the sensor really shines with low light shooting -- the X-Pro1 can produce usable 16-by-20-inch prints even at ISO 25,600, which is the maximum supported sensitivity. Identical images shot with the 5D Mark II showed significant noise in shadow areas, while the Sony Alpha A77 (NEX-7) produced an image that you certainly wouldn't want hanging on a wall. The playing field was much more even at ISO 6400, where all three cameras captured usable images -- noise was still visible on both the Canon and Sony cameras, though it was indistinguishable in the Fujifilm print.

I couldn't care less about autofocus speed. I've owned a Sigma camera so the X100 seems fine to me. :)

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

At the low end you probably get a lot of people who are happy faking it in camera.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
More news X-pro 1 will have N-mount adaptors for Leica M-mount lenses and old Fujinon lenses.

9 jpg full rez pictures: http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_pro1/sample_images/

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

RustedChrome posted:

I couldn't care less about autofocus speed. I've owned a Sigma camera so the X100 seems fine to me. :)

Hell, my 4x5 could be focused faster than my DP2 (which died, may it burn in hell).

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
I'm extremely frustrated right now. For several months now I've been wanting a smaller, more compact, take-with-me-everywhere camera. It's just not practical to haul around my D7k + lenses everywhere I go, so I wanted an alternative. So, doing my research, I come across the X100. It seemed perfect for my needs; aps-c sized sensor, external controls, built and handles like a classic camera, everything was great. When I first decided to get one it was back when they weren't available anywhere. Now they're available pretty much everywhere, and hey, it coincides with tax refund season too! So for the last week or so I've been ridiculously excited and actually looking forward to being able to file my taxes.

But in the last few days I've become aware of a pretty serious problem that potentially affects every X100 made since last May or so, and that's the aperture blades sticking and making it impossible to stop down at all. Some people report this problem after several thousand shots, and some report it right out of the box. This issue is pretty well documented all over the internet, yet Fuji has yet to make an official statement about it. Worse, Fuji technicians have been lying to their customers. Since early November they've told folks sending in their cameras for repair that they've replaced the broken lens assembly with a newly designed lens assembly that prevents the issue from ever occurring again. But despite this claim from Fuji repairmen, some people have had to send their X100's back for repair several times. And some people buying brand new X100's (that should have the new lens design) are getting the sticky aperture problem within hours of opening the box.

When researching the X100 I read all about the camera's quirks; the troublesome focusing, the unusual write-times, etc. These sounded annoying, but I could deal with them. This I don't think I can. Even if it only affects less than 1% of cameras, the fact that Fuji has been and continues to lie to customers about the new lens assembly is too much. I can't in good conscience give my money to them.

Even more frustration comes from the fact that there doesn't appear to be an alternative to the X100 out there, at least not one that meets all the same criteria. The Panasonic GX1 looks pretty cool, but it's a 4/3 sensor with no external controls. Same with the Olympus E-P3. Really there's no other camera that does everything that X100 does. And that sucks because X100's are loving broken.

Any suggestions?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Suggestion: Don't take internet hyperbole so seriously.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

I understand this is the internet and that the problematic cameras are being talked about far more than the non-problematic ones. But if it's true that Fuji has been telling people there's a solution when there's not, then that's pretty messed up.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In my experience customer reps of any company usually have no loving clue what they are talking about and will say the most incredulous poo poo.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

It looks like there will eventually be a less expensive X mount camera from Fujifilm according to dpreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/12/Fujifilmupdate

Also, something some of us wondered about :

dpreview posted:

There was a suggestion of how the hybrid viewfinder will behave with zoom lenses. The intention is that the brightlines projected into the viewfinder will zoom in response to the lens being zoomed, allowing the use of the optical finder, rather than just the EVF mode.

Interesting, if you can trust the autofocus, or can zone focus, this would be useful in shooting fast moving objects as you could see them well before they enter the frame.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

That 70s Shirt posted:

I understand this is the internet and that the problematic cameras are being talked about far more than the non-problematic ones. But if it's true that Fuji has been telling people there's a solution when there's not, then that's pretty messed up.

It's not as big a problem as you think, and you're right, there is no other camera like the x100.

Buy it in a way you have warranty coverage, and just send it in if you get the SAB problem. I've had mine since launch (over 7 months now) and it works great with no aperture blade problems. Which is good since I'm unsure if mine would be covered, the way I bought it. (NZ camera, living in Iceland)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

RustedChrome posted:

Interesting, if you can trust the autofocus, or can zone focus, this would be useful in shooting fast moving objects as you could see them well before they enter the frame.

Or shoot with both eyes open like you should already be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

It's not as big a problem as you think, and you're right, there is no other camera like the x100.

Buy it in a way you have warranty coverage, and just send it in if you get the SAB problem. I've had mine since launch (over 7 months now) and it works great with no aperture blade problems. Which is good since I'm unsure if mine would be covered, the way I bought it. (NZ camera, living in Iceland)

You have no idea how tempting it is to do just that; to buy one and on the off-chance I get the SAB to just send it in for repair. What stops me is reports of people sending in their cameras 2 or even 3 times only to have the problem show up again. That tells me Fuji isn't actually fixing anything, and $1200 is a lot of money to gamble on a camera that will only probably be okay.

Goddammit I'm still tempted anyway.