Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

I only know enough about coffee to be dangerous, but I think that starbucks' christmas blend is actually a pretty good one. Its mostly Sumatran beans, which are pretty much the only type that can withstand being roasted way-too-thoroughly by starbucks roasters.

It's for sure better then any the kcups at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

dema posted:

It's for sure better then any the kcups at work.

Hey now, the island coconut brews out to a very nice, long lasting air freshener :)

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Please convince me that brewing coffee in plastic containers is not a health issue. The Aeropress and Clever are tempting to get, but the organic nut in me worries that those hot liquids will somehow leach plastic particles into the coffee, and I'll slowly drink myself to cancer. I know the Aeropress website talks about how it uses food-safe materials, and the Clever is listed as being BPA free on Sweet Maria's (although I can't find an official product website to confirm), but I still worry.

The other option for me would be to get something like a Hario V60 (I already have a Chemex and press pot), but I do hear the Clever and Aeropress make a better tasting cup, so I'm looking for affirmations on their safety.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

The other option for me would be to get something like a Hario V60 (I already have a Chemex and press pot), but I do hear the Clever and Aeropress make a better tasting cup, so I'm looking for affirmations on their safety.

I think the leaching thing is a non issue. These should be* food safe plastics that won't leach, also the contact time is so small I don't think it matters.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

rockcity posted:

You're using a Terchnivorm and pre-ground coffee?

I'm cheap, why would I throw out my tin of pre-ground if I've already paid for it?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

wildlele posted:

I'm cheap, why would I throw out my tin of pre-ground if I've already paid for it?

That much I get, but it's pretty crazy to spend $300 on a drip brewer without having a decent grinder.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think the leaching thing is a non issue. These should be* food safe plastics that won't leach, also the contact time is so small I don't think it matters.

And if it helps, the Aeropress was changed to non-BPA plastic once BPA came out as being so bad for you. From what I understand that's why the new ones are a smoke color as opposed to the old crystal clear.

Here's the Aerobie page on their materials.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The Starbucks in one of the libraries on campus is pushing their new "Blonde" roast by offering samples of coffee from their three different roast levels. It's supposed to be a lighter roast than normal. I asked the kid giving out samples if it was more like a Viennese roast and he said "I don't know what a Vietnamese roast is". I tried it anyway, and, as you'd expect, it still tasted like charcoal.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 12, 2012

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I love a decent coffee, but I don't drink that much - maybe a cup in the morning 3 or 4 times a week. I use a french press, and my awesome girlfriend got me a nice burr grinder for Christmas. So far I've been using supermarket beans (Taylor's of Harrogate if anyone cares - I like their tea and preground and thought it would be a good place to start), but would like to start ordering some from roasters.

My concern is that I won't use the beans fast enough so the whole buying fresh thing won't be worthwhile. A half pound bag probably lasts me 2-3 weeks, and I keep the beans in tupperware in my fridge. I guess the obvious answer is to buy less, more often, but that seems like it'll get expensive fast when I'm paying for postage too. Anyone have any good ideas on what I could do to improve things? I think I'm making pretty OK coffee at the moment, but when I get a cup from a nice coffee shop the difference is obvious. I'm in West Yorkshire if anyone has any local recommendations.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
First, leave your coffee out of the fridge.

If you are having trouble getting through it in a reasonable amount of time (2 weeks), then the best solution is to freeze a portion of it when you first buy it. Little mason jars work well for this. When you finish the first portion, get the next one out of the freezer and wait until it comes up to room temperature, then use as normal. You could separate your half pound into two or three portions.

There is a world of better and fresher coffee out there. Two very good UK roasters: Has Bean and Square Mile.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

dik-dik posted:

The Starbucks in one of the libraries on campus is pushing their new "Blonde" roast by offering samples of coffee from their three different roast levels. It's supposed to be a lighter roast than normal.

The entire specialty coffee industry is getting a lot of good chuckles out of the whole "blonde" thing. Starbucks doesn't follow any of the usual industry nomenclature. "Blonde" to them means not roasting the poo poo out of the coffee past second crack to everyone else.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bob_McBob posted:

The entire specialty coffee industry is getting a lot of good chuckles out of the whole "blonde" thing. Starbucks doesn't follow any of the usual industry nomenclature. "Blonde" to them means not roasting the poo poo out of the coffee past second crack to everyone else.

I don't get that either. If they roasted them until they actually looked blonde, they wouldn't even be at first crack.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I love a decent coffee, but I don't drink that much - maybe a cup in the morning 3 or 4 times a week. I use a french press, and my awesome girlfriend got me a nice burr grinder for Christmas. So far I've been using supermarket beans (Taylor's of Harrogate if anyone cares - I like their tea and preground and thought it would be a good place to start), but would like to start ordering some from roasters.

My concern is that I won't use the beans fast enough so the whole buying fresh thing won't be worthwhile. A half pound bag probably lasts me 2-3 weeks, and I keep the beans in tupperware in my fridge. I guess the obvious answer is to buy less, more often, but that seems like it'll get expensive fast when I'm paying for postage too. Anyone have any good ideas on what I could do to improve things? I think I'm making pretty OK coffee at the moment, but when I get a cup from a nice coffee shop the difference is obvious. I'm in West Yorkshire if anyone has any local recommendations.

Two suggestions:

1) Find a local roaster.

2) Do any of your friends like good coffee? You could buy a pound at a time and split it with another person or two so that you always have fresh coffee. That's what Im trying to do, anyway, but most of my friends don't seem to care enough :smith:.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

rockcity posted:

That much I get, but it's pretty crazy to spend $300 on a drip brewer without having a decent grinder.

Ya I realized this after I bought it... I've got a line on a Preciso though so that will be resolved shortly.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
This project seems interesting, anyone funding it here?

PID-Controlled Espresso Machine

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zpmespresso/pid-controlled-espresso-machine

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

wildlele posted:

This project seems interesting, anyone funding it here?

PID-Controlled Espresso Machine

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zpmespresso/pid-controlled-espresso-machine

Sold out. You can preorder at full price for December 2012.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So I got my Maestro Plus.
It is broken. I hate my life.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

nm posted:

So I got my Maestro Plus.
It is broken. I hate my life.

What's wrong with it? Was it a refurb?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I don't know if the Maestro is the same way as the Vario but you really have to twist the bean hopper into position at first...or it won't fire up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bob_McBob posted:

What's wrong with it? Was it a refurb?
It was new.
The timer is busted, so it just runs continuously when it is plugged in.
This problem: http://www.baratzallc.com/wp-content/uploads/Switch-replacement.pdf
But I'm not cracking open a 1 day old grinder and voiding the warranty.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Bob_McBob posted:

First, leave your coffee out of the fridge.

I keep seeing different opinions about this. I recently got myself a grinder and been storing the beans in the fridge, because the guys at my coffee shop told me to do that with preground.

So what's the best way? :can: Their bags have a tiny valve to remove condensation I guess.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Metanaut posted:

I keep seeing different opinions about this. I recently got myself a grinder and been storing the beans in the fridge, because the guys at my coffee shop told me to do that with preground.

So what's the best way? :can: Their bags have a tiny valve to remove condensation I guess.

Vacu-Vin Coffee Saver

The valve is to let off outgassed CO2 and to keep oxygen from getting in with the beans. Condensation is always an issue when moving coffee from cold to warm and then back to cold.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

It's been a long time since coffee storage was ACTUALLY a point of contention. It is now generally agreed that you should store your coffee at room temperature or slightly cooler, in a sealed container, in a dry dark place. A jar in the cupboard is perfectly acceptable. The vacuum container above is a great idea if you feel a need to spend money, otherwise strikes me as a bit overboard.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

lags posted:

It's been a long time since coffee storage was ACTUALLY a point of contention. It is now generally agreed that you should store your coffee at room temperature or slightly cooler, in a sealed container, in a dry dark place. A jar in the cupboard is perfectly acceptable. The vacuum container above is a great idea if you feel a need to spend money, otherwise strikes me as a bit overboard.

I find that it preserves the nuances of a bean's essential essences while allowing the oils to outgas the optimum levels of CO2, while perhaps toning down the post cupping flavors but not to an overly detrimental degree.

Actually, I have no idea WHY I use that over anything else. I think it might have been recommended sometime in the bowels of the last Coffee threat, or perhaps in the GWS Product Recommendation thread. At this point, it's placebo I'm sure.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Nah it'll keep it fresher longer since you're minimizing the beans' contact with oxygen, and if I didn't already have 637 sealable containers ready-to-hand in my home, I would probably buy one, or maybe if I didn't roast-to-order about half a week's worth at a time I would consider it.

I do like your spergy coffee geek reason though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
So, what to think of this?

http://www.home-barista.com/store-coffee-in-freezer.html

TL;DR - freezing seems to be a viable choice to preserve coffee.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Long-term storage yes, but not if you're opening the jar & taking coffee out of it, and putting it back into the freezer. So if you absolutely must buy 1+ month's worth of coffee at a time, portion it out into week-sized batches & freeze it sure. Take out batches as you need them and do not re-freeze.

A deep freeze would be best, and in the door of your freezer would be the worst.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
I've read to think about storing coffee like a loaf of bread. Sure you can freeze bread to keep it "good" longer but really you need to eat it within a few days.

I am going to take this approach with my coffee as well. Find a local roaster and get beans roasted within 2-3 days, grind them minutes before brewing and drink within 15-20 minutes of brewing.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If I want a decaf for when I feel like having coffee soon before going to sleep, what are good (preferably inexpensive since it'll likely be around for a while) options? I know that the water process decafs are supposed to be good, but I'd like to see if I can get something for maybe 10-12 dollars a bag including shipping if applicable. I suppose I could just order two bags (one decaf one regular) from somewhere.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

lags posted:

I do like your spergy coffee geek reason though.

(Completely made up :ssh: )

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

kirtar posted:

If I want a decaf for when I feel like having coffee soon before going to sleep, what are good (preferably inexpensive since it'll likely be around for a while) options? I know that the water process decafs are supposed to be good, but I'd like to see if I can get something for maybe 10-12 dollars a bag including shipping if applicable. I suppose I could just order two bags (one decaf one regular) from somewhere.

Decaf?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

kirtar posted:

If I want a decaf for when I feel like having coffee soon before going to sleep, what are good (preferably inexpensive since it'll likely be around for a while) options?
Are you sure you need decaf for that? Good quality coffee (arabic) has less caffeine than generic coffee (robusta). I typically have one cup of coffee a day, and sometimes none, but one cup in the night won't make a difference for me. Of course, the alcohol may be helping out with the sleep. Have you tried normal coffee in these cases before?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kirtar posted:

Remember that basically you need a higher quality coffee for decaf than regular as the process leaches the flavor out. A bad place to cheap out.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

that Vai sound posted:

Are you sure you need decaf for that? Good quality coffee (arabic) has less caffeine than generic coffee (robusta). I typically have one cup of coffee a day, and sometimes none, but one cup in the night won't make a difference for me. Of course, the alcohol may be helping out with the sleep. Have you tried normal coffee in these cases before?

Yes I have tried it, and it does end up making it difficult to get to sleep.

nm posted:

Remember that basically you need a higher quality coffee for decaf than regular as the process leaches the flavor out. A bad place to cheap out.
Good point. Looks like I'll just put in a two bag order to Counter Culture or something to that effect.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

This was waiting for me on my door step when I came home from my ride yesterday:

It's everything I'd hoped it would be.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I know this is the equivalent of asking "where should I get pizza in New York," but do you guys have any favorite coffee places in SF near Moscone?

Punzilupo
Jul 2, 2004

There's a blue bottle coffee place near there, 66 mint street. Pretty decent.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I know this is the equivalent of asking "where should I get pizza in New York," but do you guys have any favorite coffee places in SF near Moscone?

Bit of a walk unless you're coming from the CalTrain station but, Philz. They do pour over by the cup. I haven't tried Blue Bottle yet.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/philz-coffee-san-francisco-3

edit; this one is probably closer:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/philz-coffee-san-francisco-4

dema fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 15, 2012

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Like others here before me, I tried the starbucks lighter roast. ha. They have a display of the three roasts they employ. Three clear plastic tubes filled with the three roasts. At a glance, they are dark roast, burnt, charcoal, so I assume the dark roast is their new "blonde."

Tasted like crap.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Residency Evil posted:

My favorite coffee place in SF is Ritual.