Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

How much should a salvage title affect price? I saw a 2001 Impreza 2.5RS Sedan for $5500 with 133k. It seems a bit much comparing NADA and KBB prices. I'm terrible at price negotiating but need to replace my dead 96 wagon gt.

I really want a SUS but they are hard to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

ack! posted:

How much should a salvage title affect price? I saw a 2001 Impreza 2.5RS Sedan for $5500 with 133k. It seems a bit much comparing NADA and KBB prices. I'm terrible at price negotiating but need to replace my dead 96 wagon gt.

I think GC RSes are loving overpriced. I woulsnt pay more than 4k. Salvage gently caress that -1k. Headgaskets not done? -1k. But then again idiots sell their gc for 7k on RS25 all day....

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So I think I developed an exhaust leak in the Outback Sport. It started as a small rattle on deceleration over the weekend. I was giving it the beans for a relatively small amount of time on Monday night and suddenly the engine started to sound much better and the rattle became much more pronounced (enough so that I can hear it over my disintegrating transmission).

At idle on Tuesday morning, the car now emits a moderately loud hiss from the underside of the car, and while I haven't gotten someone else to sit in the car and rev it I can hear the engine note is much louder than before and this morning I noticed my throttle response has gone to poo poo below mid throttle / 4000rpm.

I suspected during racing this season that the cat was plugged (loss of power under sustained WOT until I lifted and planted again) but I didn't expect that it would produce enough backpressure to blow a hole in something.

Since it's snowing and cold, I don't want to get under the car for an extended period of time. Is it common for one of the the exhaust/header gaskets to fail under this kind of situation? Last time I was under the car, nothing on the underside of the exhaust looked rusty.

Just roll with it until you need to fix it. My RS exhaust was sheered off at one of the hangers. I rolled with it for three months or so until I had to get it inspected. And even when inspection was due I used oxy ace and brass to patch it.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

ack! posted:

It has a salvage title? $500.

Seriously, do not pay over KBB/NADA for one of them. It just isn't worth it. This coming from someone who owns one. I bought mine years ago when prices were still decent.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently my (04 WRX) input shaft seal is leaking. The case has to be opened to replace it, so is there anything else service should do while they're down there? If the dealer's going to bend me over I might as well have all the rubber bits done at the same time.

Would normally just keep an eye on the seal, but I'm getting tuned next week and I really don't want my drat transmission grenading itself on the second run because I was cheap.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
In my experience they just like to leak. The bolts can back out (had that happen), or the last time it was replaced with a lovely napa paper gasket or whatever. It's really easy to throw new gaskets in though.

I had one that would only make leak noises if I drove through a puddle when the motor was warm. I guess it cooled the exhaust in a way that made it leak, then when it heated up again it was fine. Eventually it just started leaking all the time. New gasket, and it was good to go.

A bit of cold won't kill ya :P

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

Subaru fanatics, posted a bunch of parts for sale in the AI Marketplace. Take advantage of my generosity!

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Wow, you can sell OEM mounts for that much? I need to stop being lazy and put that crap on ebay.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'd put my 5MT mount up as well, but it sheared in half.

Speaking of mounts, has anyone tried or has an opinion on the TigWerks semi-solid mounts? They have an 80A durometer bushing in them so they're a shedload more solid than stock but apparently compliant enough that it's just on the cusp of being livable (according to the IWSTI thread that admittedly the manufacturer is participating in).

I'd like to get something a little stiffer than the Group-N mounts in the WRX (and put the Group-N mounts in the OBS when I pull the motor) since the transmission mount in particular is not that spectacular. Unfortunately, it seems like the next step up is "full racing JDM-yo solid."

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 12, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm partial to the cusco mounts, which is what tigwerks and torque solutions are copying. Plus it's the only one of the three that has a transmission mount.

as a side note, I have some wholesale accounts now.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 12, 2012

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I have a Cusco trans mount that I got used with my clutch and flywheel. Significant increase in NVH especially at high load, low RPM situations with any throttle. I too didn't know stock mounts were worth anything, I should be putting mine on eBay in a few weeks. I dont really know or feel any big advantage with the cusco mount, especially to warrant the $100 new price.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

just the trans mount or all three?

I think when you only change part of the mounts it can make things worse, since you just have that one solid part and all the nvh goes through it.

not that I'm saying mounts aren't going to make the car louder, but you should replace everything if you do them. I did just a solid pitch stop and kind of regret it.

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

blargle posted:

Wow, you can sell OEM mounts for that much? I need to stop being lazy and put that crap on ebay.

New they are about $90 a piece. Mine are basically unused but I don't know who would want them. They are heavy and liquid filled and I think come on the 08+ cars. I'm not sure if you could sell them at all. I replaced them with the group n mounts.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Can a manual transmission from a 1999 RS handle an engine from a 2002 WRX without exploding?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

as a side note, I have some wholesale accounts now.

Can you send to Australia? We get rear end reamed for parts for no good reason

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Can you send to Australia? We get rear end reamed for parts for no good reason

Don't see why not. it seems that at least one of my distributors will drop ship there directly. Some stuff I would probably have to get sent here and ship to you myself though. After shipping and customs fees it might not be worth it. Is there something in particular you were looking for? Give me a part and an address and I could figure out how much it would cost to get to you.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 13, 2012

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Welp, I made the decision today and if all goes well I will be driving a WR Blue 2012 WRX STi by late next week. The nearest one is in Wisconsin and the guy that they needed to talk to regarding dealer trades was in a meeting so they will call again tomorrow. If they can't get the blue one I could take the red STi they have here but both the wife and I like the blue.

So now it looks like I have to join the cult. Is there a blood sacrifice needed because I know a guy named Carl I'd be ok donating. But seriously, this will be the first Subaru in my family and I hope it is a good one because my dad is a die hard Ford man and I hate hearing him talk poo poo when my cars need repair.

remper1
Feb 12, 2009
So I bought a 2003 WRX a few weeks ago, and just drove through my first winter storm on the drive home from work today. I was cruising almost like there was no snow on the ground. I had never driven an all wheel drive car before. I may never go back. Very happy car owner right now. :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

Don't see why not. it seems that at least one of my distributors will drop ship there directly. Some stuff I would probably have to get sent here and ship to you myself though. After shipping and customs fees it might not be worth it. Is there something in particular you were looking for? Give me a part and an address and I could figure out how much it would cost to get to you.

You would be surprised - basically double your retail price and that's what we pay

I'm after full engine rebuild gasket kit and an oil pump, I think the MY11 STI was the one you said I should get....?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

when it comes to OEM parts, just go here:

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

gasket kit: 10105AA590
oil pump: 15010AA360

they appear to ship internationally.

I don't have an account at the dealership and don't really plan to get one, because even their best shop rate isn't as cheap as the online wholesalers.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 13, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

they appear to ship internationally.
You may have to ask them explicitly for USPS; usually they try to ship UPS which hits you with import fees ridiculously in excess of what they actually are.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Finally snowed here in WI, and holy poo poo are snow tires incredible.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chrisgt posted:

In my experience they just like to leak. The bolts can back out (had that happen), or the last time it was replaced with a lovely napa paper gasket or whatever. It's really easy to throw new gaskets in though.

I had one that would only make leak noises if I drove through a puddle when the motor was warm. I guess it cooled the exhaust in a way that made it leak, then when it heated up again it was fine. Eventually it just started leaking all the time. New gasket, and it was good to go.

A bit of cold won't kill ya :P

Yeah I just had them do it.

$9 part, $230 in labor :qq:

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

Flyinglemur posted:

So now it looks like I have to join the cult. Is there a blood sacrifice needed because I know a guy named Carl I'd be ok donating. But seriously, this will be the first Subaru in my family and I hope it is a good one because my dad is a die hard Ford man and I hate hearing him talk poo poo when my cars need repair.

If by blood sacrifice you mean AccessPort, then yes. Buy one, get the car tuned eventually, and enjoy your extra 50-60 whp and, most importantly, greatly increased reliability. Do it within the first 5000 miles (and drive those first 2-5k gently - no hitting fuel cut if you want to keep your engine). The stock maps on the new '11-12 STi's are even worse than the 08-10's - I've seen people post up stock dyno graphs at pitiful amounts of power (210-ish whp) for what is supposed to be a 300 hp motor. It's a wonderful car once you've fixed that part! Welcome to the cult of fast Subarus!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Any of you early (USDM) WRX owners have the stock ram-air system that goes from the hood to the airbox?

I'd like one for my wagon if you have one lying around.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If I didn't throw it out, I should know in the coming week.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

BobTheFerret posted:

If by blood sacrifice you mean AccessPort, then yes. Buy one, get the car tuned eventually, and enjoy your extra 50-60 whp and, most importantly, greatly increased reliability. Do it within the first 5000 miles (and drive those first 2-5k gently - no hitting fuel cut if you want to keep your engine). The stock maps on the new '11-12 STi's are even worse than the 08-10's - I've seen people post up stock dyno graphs at pitiful amounts of power (210-ish whp) for what is supposed to be a 300 hp motor. It's a wonderful car once you've fixed that part! Welcome to the cult of fast Subarus!

Thank you...I will certainly look into it. I'm having some difficulty with the dealership regarding delivery fee but I'm sure that will be ironed out and he said I should have it by Thursday.

What is a fuel cut?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Flyinglemur posted:

What is a fuel cut?

Precisely what it sounds like.

It is triggered by a few things though. Revving your engine too high, your turbocharger spinning too fast and your top speed limit being reached. All of these limits are set with the computer and can be modified with the access port or other tuner.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Ah ok...I won't be doing any of those things. Thanks.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Flyinglemur posted:

Soooo, why buy the sti then?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Flyinglemur posted:

Yea, no this is wrong you should come close to doing all of those things. Just get the access port.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I'm thinking he probably meant he will be driving it gently until it's broken in and/or has a tune like suggested. Not "I'm never going to drive the car hard". I hope :ohdear:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Yeah that's exactly what I meant...I will definitely drive it nice while being broken in. And I will be looking into an Access Port as well. I'm actually embarrassed about how little I know how to do to cars since I really enjoy learning about them.

The aforementioned delivery charge is still eating at me though. I posted about it in the Dumb Questions thread since it is more regarding dealerships and not Subarus in specific.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Looks like the timing belt job on my ea82t didn't go as smooth as I thought, the driver's side timing belt has a tension issue but fortunately hasn't jumped time. The top part of the belt is completely taut, with the bottom (ribs visible) part loose. I might be able to reset the tensioner/belt on driver's cam sprocket and be good to go. If not, let's see how fast I change a set timing belts at 20 degrees f :dance:

No winter driving issues besides a glitchy digidash before it warms up inside.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Flyinglemur posted:

If they can't get the blue one I could take the red STi they have here but both the wife and I like the blue.

I liked the blue one too, but the last one in town was red so I got it. I have never seen another red STI in person (until I went to Subiefest, one of the tuner shops had a red hatch). I've seen almost every other color, but never another red one on the street. Somone even joked to me at Subiefest, "You're doing it wrong, don't you know Subarus aren't supposed to be red!" Whenever I'm at an autocross I just say, "yeah I drive THE red Subaru" and everyone immediately knows which one it is.

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept

BobTheFerret posted:

How does the AccessPort make the car more reliable? Is that just for the modern STI or would that apply to an older wrx as well?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The stock tune on the 07+ turbo cars (FXT, WRX, STI, OXT, LGT) apparently likes to run dangerously lean in spots in order to promote fuel economy/low emissions, etc. It's been accused of being one of the primary contributors to ringland failure.

Having an aftermarket tune that's safer in those areas (as I'm assuming the Cobb OTS map is) could significantly improve engine reliability.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yeah it's surprising how much of a difference just a reflash makes.

and if you're looking to get an accessport, I know a guy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Having an aftermarket tune that's safer in those areas (as I'm assuming the Cobb OTS map is) could significantly improve engine reliability.
I still haven't really figured out if my ringland blew on the stock or the cobb OTS Stg I tune. I kind of suspect one of them blew on the stock tune and one on the cobb tune.
I'd prefer a good dyno tune (which I have now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

on that note, if you're tracking the car a better radiator and adding some 100 into the tank is pretty much necessary.