Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Why would you make a cube of just one block?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

LordPants posted:

I rage more at Invisible Stalker + Butcher's Cleaver combo.

If you were making an Innistrad block Cube, would you leave Invisible Stalker out?

I just hate Invisible Stalker in general. They (or at least Maro) always say how giving players options is what creates a fun game, but what option does Invisible Stalker give you? Playing with him, you are always going to equip him over any other creature, give him any enchant, all of that sort of stuff. Playing against them you either have board wipe or you die, woop choices.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

LordPants posted:

I rage more at Invisible Stalker + Butcher's Cleaver combo.

If you were making an Innistrad block Cube, would you leave Invisible Stalker out?

I've only faced a Cleaver + Stalker combo once, and that was for about five seconds before I scooped, but I'd probably leave him in. Seeing a t2 stalker is only bad news if they follow up t3 or t4 with a cleaver, or Spectral Flight. If people wanna bet their draft on a single critter, thats fine by me and I can just focus on racing with his other creatures. I'm usually never worried about stalker because I'm usually positive I can rush before he makes a difference.

But effectively racing an opponent down, having the position and the cards to finish him off, only to negate the first 6 turns by Gnawing back up to 20, or stabilizing with Spawning is crushing. Seeing an early spawning automatically triggers my 'find a loving tremblor' sense, and a Gnaw makes me wanna draft good yard hate (Curse of Oblivion is excellent for this and totally shuts down their strategy)

Ockhams Machete
Feb 19, 2011

If I had a nickel for every time I had a nickel, I did.
Hey all, y'all.

That's some sweet slang I picked up in Austin at the GP this weekend. I would say that I also picked up a $500 check courtesy of WotC, but since it will actually take about 2 months to arrive, that would neither be true nor funny. Additionally, I did not actually hear anyone say, "y'all," though I did get to hear someone declare a "sacrifice" in a delightful Texas accent.

I didn't place as highly as Imaduck, finishing 23rd, and since I flew from Boston, I didn't make out nearly as well. On day 1, I went 8-1 with a solid blue/white sealed deck.

Day 2, I learned that my round 8 win had been against Danimo, but that he'd still made it to day 2 with us. What a whirlwind of emotions I was struck with!

I drafted a sweet deck in my first pod, which allowed me to use Parallel Lives to make 6 zombies at once with Undead Alchemist, 2 wolves each turn with Mayor of Avabruck, and 12 spiders with Spider Spawning. Thankfully (yet mysteriously), each one of these items was on my list of things to do before I die. Also, it contained Burning Vengeance, for which I have a huge boner. The fixing was beautiful.

Draft 1: http://i.imgur.com/rcK7u.jpg

In my second pod, I had unwittingly drafted Delver Blade, but my odds of transform were only 25%, and my equipment consisted of a single Runechanter's Pike.

Draft 2: http://i.imgur.com/4L6Xb.jpg

I lost my feature match against Pat Cox 2-1, who ruined me with Rolling Temblor. It was disappointing, but not 0-2ing my first feature match was still pretty cool.

The next round, I got paired down against an x-3 and lost. Finally, I drew in the last round to secure us both a spot in top 32. With T16 paying out $600 and T64 only $200, it seemed like drawing for $500 was way better EV.

It was really cool to meet Danimo and Imaduck, and I hope to see some more goons at GP Baltimore! (Or Honolulu, if anyone's Qed.) Also, rinski and I will try to put up a couple more draft videos soon. :v:

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Ockhams Machete posted:

Hey all, y'all.

That's some sweet slang I picked up in Austin at the GP this weekend. I would say that I also picked up a $500 check courtesy of WotC, but since it will actually take about 2 months to arrive, that would neither be true nor funny. Additionally, I did not actually hear anyone say, "y'all," though I did get to hear someone declare a "sacrifice" in a delightful Texas accent.

Southern Magic players are the funniest. I live in Alberta, and I have a friend we call Alabama Dave, for obvious reasons. They're not "creatures," they're "critters," and when he bounces something, he says "put that guy up." It's the best.

How many critters y'all got over there?
Six.
Put that guy up, take three.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

Nemico posted:

Southern Magic players are the funniest. I live in Alberta, and I have a friend we call Alabama Dave, for obvious reasons. They're not "creatures," they're "critters," and when he bounces something, he says "put that guy up." It's the best.

How many critters y'all got over there?
Six.
Put that guy up, take three.

We had this huge redneck dude that used to play at the LGS. He always played RDW so of course we called him Redneck Wins. When he actually heard us say it he yelled "Y'all call me Redneck Wins!? THAT'S AWESOME!"

Ockhams Machete
Feb 19, 2011

If I had a nickel for every time I had a nickel, I did.

Eibon posted:

We had this huge redneck dude that used to play at the LGS. He always played RDW so of course we called him Redneck Wins. When he actually heard us say it he yelled "Y'all call me Redneck Wins!? THAT'S AWESOME!"

This is very possibly the best Magic story ever.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
No Cards, Mo' Problems. Mo' Spiders, No Problems

Took him from 20 to -2 in a single strike :)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
And another raredraft. This was the draft I livecasted by hangout in the other thread. It was a lot of fun listening to goons give generally correct advice :)

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=32iey

Picks went nicely, but I think I had too much high end and not enough early pressure.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Why does raredraft make me loving sign in with google every goddamn time, and why, once I do this, do I then have to return to the original link rather than being automatically directed to the draft I was trying to visit in the first place?

Ugh.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yea, raredraft is annoying to use.
But here, have another one!

I feel like I lucked into Burning Vengeance.dek here, but the early packs felt like garbage, I had a lot of trouble with the early picks. Any feedback?

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=32if5

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Hauki posted:

I feel like I lucked into Burning Vengeance.dek here, but the early packs felt like garbage, I had a lot of trouble with the early picks. Any feedback?

I would've ended up with a janky rear end R/U/g deck and gotten blown out. The past few nights I feel so bad crushing BV decks, but they always have at least one good round, and then get really pissed at me when I curve out and roll them over. Innistrad seems really fickle, and even the tightest g/w aggro deck can get smoked by having a bad draw, but I almost never feel comfortable going out on a limb and hoping to piece together a mill or BV deck.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Hauki posted:

I noticed that you opened kessig cagebreakers p2p1 and did not break your mouse button clicking on it, please advise.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

scribe jones posted:

I noticed that you opened kessig cagebreakers p2p1 and did not break your mouse button clicking on it, please advise.

Yea, I couldn't decide if I should go janky tri-colour or take the solid removal. I could've used an extra Cagebreakers to round out a set, so I should've just raredrafted even if I had no intention of playing it. Of course I hit the dude with the Cagebreakers round 1, had enough removal to drop it immediately, but I still lost the match.

The deck ended up being way to slow, never had the cards I needed when I needed them. Went 1-2 with it.

edit: at least 3 of the games I lost I managed to stabilize, wipe his board and then got burned out with a topdecked Devil's Play. Seemed to be a lot of them floating around in that queue.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 13, 2012

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
here's a draft I just did that I feel like I didn't get a lot to work with:
http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=32gvs

U/G self mill with gnaw, memory's journey, runic repetition and although I never saw the spider spawning I did get to p1p1 Cagebreakers.
I feel like I really wanted to p1p1 Brimstone Volley, but I didn't think there was a lot there until I saw a Balefire Dragon p3p1. So I dunno. Thoughts?

deck actually worked as advertised match one, couldn't actually be beaten by a G/W deck (a bit light on rare support, but had cleaver/humans, galv juggernaut and a couple of prey upons) thanks to infinite gnaws, and cagebreakers acted fake spider spawning for the clincher both games.

Unfortunately match 2 was against 2x Undead Alchemist with 2x Moan of the Unhallowed, 2x Walking Corpse, 2x Diregraf Ghoul, Unburial Rites and a lot of mill, 0-2'ed it and I had nothing for that. Tried milling him out with curse and selhoff occustists game 2 and was 1 card away before getting milled myself. This was my first 8-4 in awhile and it sucked that I didn't cash, but oh well.

edit, looking back through it, this pool had 3 nevermores :downs:

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 13, 2012

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

It looked like you were also trying to go white for some reason?

p1p8 Delver > Selfless Cathar
p2p1 Undead Alchemist or Stitched Drake (probably the Alchemist because it will beat you really bad) over Bonds of Faith
p2p2 Daybreak Ranger > Claustrophobia
p2p3 Deranged Assistant > Orchard Spirit
p2p5 Deranged Assistant > Villagers
p2p9 Wreath of Geists (a decent alternate win con) over Doomed Traveler
p2p13 Gnaw to the Bone > Ghostly Possession
p3p1 I would probably take Silent Departure just because it's cheaper
p3p7 Mulch > Apprentice

If you;re trying to get your deck into your graveyard you really have to pick certain cards high for it. Unfortunately you didn't see any Spider Spawnings but you can still build a good self-mill deck with Wreath of Geists/Boneyard Wurms as long as you have the Memory's Journey/Runic Repetition combo.

I'm not sure if Selhoff Occultist is a better pick than Boneyard Wurm. If I'm really trying to self-mill I would probably take the Wurm, Occultist doesn't usually get a ton of milling done in my experience. The last pack may also have been much better if you had picked differently pack 2 (deranged assistant is really good).

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I won my third draft ever last night at FNM. I drafted a pretty sweet Black/White deck with 2x Falkenrath Noble, 2x Slayer of the wicked, unburial rites, a manor gargoyle, sever the bloodlines and various spirit creating cards. Also three avacynian priests who were worth their weight in gold.

Had two ways to win- enough cheap creatures and spirits to go strahgt beatdown supported by all my removal, and in a longer game my nobles meant that I was ahead in any battle of attrition.

It helped that I only played one really good deck. My first match in particular was against a joke deck- this guy opened a garruk and seemingly decided to run mono green bad stuff. He played at three cards with bramble in the name (2x crush and 1x grave) and parallel lives with garruk as the only token generator. I beat him 2-0 despite mullignin to five in our second game.

Had an awesome time overall.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Lets Pickle posted:

It looked like you were also trying to go white for some reason?

p1p8 Delver > Selfless Cathar
p2p1 Undead Alchemist or Stitched Drake (probably the Alchemist because it will beat you really bad) over Bonds of Faith
p2p2 Daybreak Ranger > Claustrophobia
p2p3 Deranged Assistant > Orchard Spirit
p2p5 Deranged Assistant > Villagers
p2p9 Wreath of Geists (a decent alternate win con) over Doomed Traveler
p2p13 Gnaw to the Bone > Ghostly Possession
p3p1 I would probably take Silent Departure just because it's cheaper
p3p7 Mulch > Apprentice

If you;re trying to get your deck into your graveyard you really have to pick certain cards high for it. Unfortunately you didn't see any Spider Spawnings but you can still build a good self-mill deck with Wreath of Geists/Boneyard Wurms as long as you have the Memory's Journey/Runic Repetition combo.

I'm not sure if Selhoff Occultist is a better pick than Boneyard Wurm. If I'm really trying to self-mill I would probably take the Wurm, Occultist doesn't usually get a ton of milling done in my experience. The last pack may also have been much better if you had picked differently pack 2 (deranged assistant is really good).

I'm way down on delver in a typical draft deck, I ended up running 4-5? instants or sorceries, and that's just not enough, signals were muddy enough early that the cathar was insurance in case WG or WU archetypical stuff started getting passed. Same thought process with the Bonds, but that was a mistake I think.

daybreak needs R to get full value and claustrophobia is about as good a removal that U has. I'm not sold on self-mill getting to consistently make use of 3rd-color splash cards thanks to only needing to mill past 2ish lands before it's completely cutoff (same reason bonds didn't make the cut)

assistant is probably the objective right call over villagers, but with cagebreakers in there, I wanted to stall the ground and liked having the 2/3 blocking help (along with the occultists) in both Match 1 and 2. I love assistant a lot, but I've been valuing it higher in UB than in UG and I figured I figured could expect to see 1-2 more in the remaining packs. I agree I should probably have taken the first assistant over the orchard spirit.

I've not yet ever believed in wreath of geists, but you're right that it's an alternate win condition.

I already had 2x mulch and 2x gnaw to the bone by that point, so I dunno; I only played one mulch in the final list

I really like occultists, each game I've played them, they've milled as much as an armored skaab (even a simple trade nets half that and obviously more when they stick around, and unless you're facing spirits or vampire interlopers, they usually do)

This is the first time I've seen the Undead Alchemist done anything other than trade with some 3 drop, and it had a LOT of support, so much like the mill your opponents deck, I just don't think I'm going to be building it.

thanks for checking :)

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Lurchington posted:

This is the first time I've seen the Undead Alchemist done anything other than trade with some 3 drop, and it had a LOT of support, so much like the mill your opponents deck, I just don't think I'm going to be building it.

I've found that the Alchemist's strength lies in already having a few zombies out and then dropping him when you know you can get some damage through (and he's pretty hilarious against self-mill).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gonna draft ROE for the first time tonight. I feel like between watching a couple videos and reading the visual spoilers I've got a good feel on the set and how some of the archetypes shake out.

What are people's opinions about forcing a type in that set? I don't usually try to force unless I'm really confident that I have a feel for the group I'm playing with, but I think most of the people tonight would probably be blindsided by Gnarlids.dec if it's the kind of thing one can force. They're an aggro-heavy group except for maybe one guy, so I think the usual risk of eating lots of 2-for-1s is minimized.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 13, 2012

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Just a) lost a match b)by getting milled out c) for exactly enough d) with Laboratory Maniac in my hand e) because I got it back with Creeping Renaissance flashback and had only 9 mana. My opponent hit a Nephalia Drownyard off Desperate Ravings with one card in hand and I had three cards in my library. gently caress.

:argh:

e: My opponent who had Grimgrin and Alchemist and TWO Blasphemous Act.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 14, 2012

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Took second in my first draft of Rise. Didn't force anything but ended up going quasi WG auras anyway. Gideon first pack plus a bunch of removal put me in white and creature selection mostly sucked save some early Gnarlids and Wildheart Invokers so I got put in it.

Other people grabbed most of the good umbras which hurt but I had tons of removal in white and black, good manafixing, etc. Played terribly slowly for an auras deck though.

Went 2-0, 2-0, 0-2, losing to a really good UW levelers deck. Only worthwhile card in the pool was Gideon but at least I got a Splinter Twin out of it which I wanted anyway.

Favorite play of the night: Using Gideon's 0 ability to make a creature, then using Oust on him 'cause the other guy had gone to elaborate lengths to tap down blockers and recur Traitorous Instinct.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 14, 2012

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Uggggggh Innistrad Draft.

So at my LGS last night I draft the absolute NUTS Mono-Blue Laboratory Maniac Deck. It included such hits as:

1 Laboratory Maniac
1 Mirror-Mad Phantasm
1 Back From the Brink
1 Cackling Counterpart
3 Armored Skaab
2 Forbiden Alchemy
1 Deranged Assistant
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Murder of Crows

Also included:

1 Stitched Drake
2 Makeshift Mauler
1 Stitcher's Apprentice
2 Claustrophobia
1 Silent Departure
1 Moon Heron
1 Dissipate

I proceed to 1-2 in the first round to a guy playing THREE GRUESOME DEFORMITIES MAIN DECK. He was RB and was intimidating such things as Bloodcrazed Neonate and Stromkirk Patrol. I was both tilting and laughing at the same time. I was getting destroyed by one of the worst cards in Innistrad.

Proceeded to win my following two matches 2-0. Which included "living the dream" by flashing back Cackling Counterpart to make a Mirror-Mad token, activating the token, milling myself, then casting Laboratory Maniac and activating Civilized Scholar.

Thanks to breakers I came in 4th :smithicide:

Four Finger Wu
Jan 11, 2008
So, I'm a terrible drafter. I would really appreciate any commentary or advice that anyone can offer. My most recent draft, and ostensibly the result of my practice and reading is here http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=32d1r - still resulted in a 1-2 first round in a 4-3-2-2 queue.

Among my many problems, if I don't get a bomb immediately, I can't settle into a color or a type of deck, and so my first pack is all over the place, to cover all my bases.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Four Finger Wu posted:

So, I'm a terrible drafter. I would really appreciate any commentary or advice that anyone can offer. My most recent draft, and ostensibly the result of my practice and reading is here http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=32d1r - still resulted in a 1-2 first round in a 4-3-2-2 queue.

Among my many problems, if I don't get a bomb immediately, I can't settle into a color or a type of deck, and so my first pack is all over the place, to cover all my bases.

p1p1 dead weight > feeling of dread
p1p2 cultist, bonds, shepherd, skaab, spirit, rats, scarecrow > cemetery

I stopped watching after that, have you watched any draft videos from http://www.channelfireball.com etc? I think that would help your decision process somewhat.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It looks like you left your computer and just let the client autopick random cards for you.

If in doubt always go for any good removal in the pack that you can play. It also helps to know what the various archetypes in the format is so you can figure out whats open and whats not.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MrBling posted:

It looks like you left your computer and just let the client autopick random cards for you.
Pretty much this. I couldn't follow your picks at all, I think there were better options in nearly every pack I clicked through.

I'll second watching draft videos at CFB. I mean, I could walk through that particular draft and tell you the picks I would make in each pack and why, but don't think that would be very practical.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

MrBling posted:

If in doubt always go for any good removal in the pack that you can play. It also helps to know what the various archetypes in the format is so you can figure out whats open and whats not.

Yeah I don't know what was going on.

In pack 1 picks 4, 5, 6, and 7, you literally took cards in 4 different colors within 4 picks, and not a single one of them was the best card in the pack. Your pick 1 was a UW card and your pick 2 was a GB card, neither of them were the best pick. You were in 4 colors by the time you got to pick 2, and 5 colors by the time you got to pick 5, and none of the cards you had taken were even cards I ever feel happy to maindeck except for Butcher's Cleaver.

E: I can see being unsure where to go so you try to stay open, but think about this: If you don't think you're taking good cards in your early picks why are you taking them then? If you're confident in your first few picks why are you so reluctant to stay in a color? Drafting is all about minimizing the picks that you aren't going to play and maximizing the quality of the cards you are going to play. Knowing you're not going to be 5 color, it's really bad to have at least 3 cards you aren't going to play within your first 5 picks (which should be the most high quality picks), and you're essentially guaranteeing it by going into so many colors.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 15, 2012

Four Finger Wu
Jan 11, 2008
Thank you everyone for taking the time to look at the draft and comment. I will follow your suggestions and check back in. I cringe a bit looking over the video too, but I thought it made sense at the time.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Four Finger Wu posted:

Thank you everyone for taking the time to look at the draft and comment. I will follow your suggestions and check back in. I cringe a bit looking over the video too, but I thought it made sense at the time.

If you want, I can go through every single pick and try to explain what I'd pick, why, and so on. It'd take a while though, so I don't wanna get to it unless you think it'd really help.

Four Finger Wu
Jan 11, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you want, I can go through every single pick and try to explain what I'd pick, why, and so on. It'd take a while though, so I don't wanna get to it unless you think it'd really help.

I don't want to waste your time. I think I just need to generally improve my knowledge and skills before any specific walk through would be worthwhile. Thank you though!

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Four Finger Wu posted:

I'll try to call some specifics. Other than that, check LSV's drafts from Channel Fireball for example, as others have pointed out. He's a pro who generally gives good reasoning for different choices in his draft recaps.

p1p1 Feeling of Dread is a card that generally goes for a very specific deck (aggressive UW), and you generally try to pick it late or wheel it. It is not something you pick over good removal, which Dead Weight is.

p1p2 Dual lands are almost never high picks in Innistrad drafts at least, unless the pack is exceedingly weak. The chance at this stage of draft that the card really even helps your deck, that is that you play both colours or one and have a worthwhile splash card from the second, is quite small. Most of this pack is better pick than the dual, with Bonds of Faith likely at the top.

p1p5 Generally you want to build on the colours you currently have, unless you are right at the beginning or start getting passed the goods from a new colour. Thus opening red with Rakish Heir is not very good here, when you have one of the better commons in the set in Silent Departure, which goes to your first pick, however weak that might be, and might be good indication that blue is open.

p1p6 Again you open a fresh colour with so-so pick. Vanilla 2/2 for 2 is something you try to pick late or wheel generally to patch your curve or draft a very aggressive deck. Gallow's Warden would be perfectly respectable 3/3 evasive on a colour you already are.

p1p9 What colours do you see yourself at, at this point of the draft? It's a question you need to keep in your mind.

p1p11 Vampiric Fury is very narrow trick, while Moment of Heroism works with every creature you have.

p2p1 Delver, or generally any card that requires specific card subtypes, cards or colours requires some thought. Delver is something you need to draft around a bit to make it work, specifically you need fairly high number of cards that trigger it. Otherwise it will most likely remain 1/1 for 1 a long time, which is not good. As you really need to balance your deck on both number of creatures and number of Delver triggers, that might not be easy task. Other issue is that generally you want to make sure you an drop your Delver early if you have it in your opening grip, which calls for more blue sources in your mana. Was your deck looking that blue at this stage? Pitchburn Devils would be better creature - Gavony Township better card in a deck that can afford splashing the activation.

p2p7 Threaten effects like Traitorous Blood usually ask for one of two things: a very aggressive deck that can afford to spend a card to clear a blocker and give more offensive power for one turn, or effects that allow you to sacrifice the target. I think I'd vastly prefer just a stupid 2/3 beater if you're set on UR.

In general, you should focus on the basics: realize that generally a two colour deck that has 14+ aggressive creatures on a good curve and some removal at least has a decent shot winning average game. If unsure on where to go, focus on that. Being spread on three colours was a big weakness in this pool, even after card evaluation issues.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Four Finger Wu posted:

I don't want to waste your time. I think I just need to generally improve my knowledge and skills before any specific walk through would be worthwhile. Thank you though!

Cool. Well I'll second the Channel Fireball videos and also check out LSV's set reviews where he breaks down each color by card and talks about all of them and his impressions of them in draft and constructed. Sometimes he's off but pretty rarely. He's considered one of the best in the world for a reason.

I think you'll be surprised how quickly it picks up. I played when I was a kid but for all intents and purposes I pretty much "started" Magic back in July and while I'm by no means the best, I'm better than most of my friends and usually do really well at the local shop. So you'll get better with experience but you're not gonna be floundering for all that long.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 15, 2012

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Sigma-X posted:

Man, my MODO win can't beat that story. Congrats!

Here's some celebratory spiders

I wish I had migrated my old screen shots of limited retarded poo poo. I had one from a Lorwyn limited draft where I had a merfolk deck with like 300 life or something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Four Finger Wu posted:

I'd recommend not doing 4322 queues - first, they're bad value in terms of payout, but more importantly playing Swiss will let you see more draft decks and give you more lessons in what works and what doesn't. There's a belief that the weakest players play Swiss so the drafts may not be helpful in learning signals or cutting and passing colors, which may be true, but I'd say that when you're starting out, playing as much as you can per dollar spent is probably more helpful overall.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=32dti

Be honest. I should have taken silent departure over Kruin outlaw and then made bank on the world's deepest pack 1 blue?

the drafter to my left draft a GREAT UG self mill with 2x mindshrieker and 2x spider spawning so I don't I would have chased him out, so that may have killed me.

WR 'boros' with Devil's play finisher actually played pretty well. Got to live the dream a few times and played/recurred rally the peasant with 3 spirits and a werewolf/riot devil. It seemed devil's play was in every starting hand, so that always helps, even though I never got the waif/outlaw start.
2-1 in swiss

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

Lurchington posted:

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=32dti

Be honest. I should have taken silent departure over Kruin outlaw and then made bank on the world's deepest pack 1 blue?

the drafter to my left draft a GREAT UG self mill with 2x mindshrieker and 2x spider spawning so I don't I would have chased him out, so that may have killed me.

WR 'boros' with Devil's play finisher actually played pretty well. Got to live the dream a few times and played/recurred rally the peasant with 3 spirits and a werewolf/riot devil. It seemed devil's play was in every starting hand, so that always helps, even though I never got the waif/outlaw start.
2-1 in swiss

p1p6: Harvest Pyre over Back from the Brink? o_o

You were getting some UW nuts first pack, and may have been able to chase the guy next to you out of blue.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Holy crap I just left to get a drink with 6 people in my ISD swiss queue. Came back and there my clock was counting down from 3 seconds and a foil garruk the relentless caught my ear. I nearly poo poo myself trying to grab my mouse and click it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I had nonfoil Garruk p1p1 last night. Then some poor bastard had something like this happen:

LeafHouse posted:

Holy crap I just left to get a drink with 6 people in my ISD swiss queue. Came back and there my clock was counting down from 3 seconds and a foil garruk the relentless caught my ear. I nearly poo poo myself trying to grab my mouse and click it.

and I ended up with a Geist too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I drafted for the first time yesterday, and it was insanely fun. It was innistrad, and I played R/B aggro with 2 rage throwers. Rage Thrower is loving nuts and quickly won every game in which it hit the board. I used a bunch of sacrifice/enter the graveyard effects for synergy with rage thrower. - Skirsdag Cultist, Pitchburn Devils, Galvanic Juggernaut. I ended up going 4-0.