Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I beat Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Once. I was five or six and had no idea how I did it, and never figured out the trick to the final boss again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Rare was pretty hit-or-miss back in the NES days, and their games ranged wildly, from "Slalom" to "R.C. Pro-Am" to "Wizards & Warriors" to "Marble Madness" to even one of the three games I regard with a lot of disdain, "Taboo: The Sixth Sense," the "tarot card simulator."

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
That got me an idea... This weekend I´m having a RARE marathon :D

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The only good Rare game for the NES is Snake Ratte 'n' Roll. All the others are so awful.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

The only good Rare game for the NES is Snake Ratte 'n' Roll. All the others are so awful.

You take that back, Wizards & Warriors owns

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Joctan posted:

That got me an idea... This weekend I´m having a RARE marathon :D

Those cases are cool. You create the labels covers yourself? It's hard to get a sense of scale when there is nothing else in the picture but they look like they are VHS cases?

They certainly don't look like the original cardboard boxes.

e: Oh those universal cases are neat as hell.
VVVVVV

Xik fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 11, 2012

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Xik posted:

Those cases are cool. You create the labels covers yourself? It's hard to get a sense of scale when there is nothing else in the picture but they look like they are VHS cases?

Little different than what he's got, but Universal Video Game Cases and The Cover Project makes for an enjoyable experience.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hakkesshu posted:

Go play Rad Racer. Go play Rad Racer and realize what a terrible person you are.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Sarchasm posted:

Go play Rad Racer. Go play Rad Racer and realize what a terrible person you are.

Rad Racer is a Square game. You sure you ain't thinking of R.C. Pro-Am?

(R.C. Pro-Am rules)

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Captain Skyhawk might be the best Rare game on the NES.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Mercury Crusader posted:

(R.C. Pro-Am rules)

Oh, poo poo, how did I ever confuse Square and Rare? Aside from the obvious rhyme, anyway.

And yeah, RC Pro-Am was fantastic, but I remember it being pretty buggy. At some point it was guaranteed that the entire playfield would disappear and become a black void, basically making the game unplayable. Though I guess that could've been my old, first-run NES overheating?

Cutriss
Feb 18, 2011

This space intentionally left blank.

Mercury Crusader posted:

(R.C. Pro-Am rules)
And Cobra Triangle.

Johanz
Nov 3, 2010
Oh man, just watched the Bonk episode. What a neat episode. Loved the whole behind the scenes part and fun to see the challenge from another perspective, and man.. Intense moments! Feels good to finally be caught up with GCCX too.

Great work as always too!

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011

Xik posted:

e: Oh those universal cases are neat as hell.
VVVVVV

They are actually double DVD cases, they have the same dimensions as a universal game case. And yes, the covers are from https://thecoverproject.net

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I thought that they were gone forever but guess who just released episode 11 after more than two years?

Guess I need to update the OP.

Edit: And after I posted it occurred to me that there's a lot of people who have started watching after the long drought so won't understand the post. TV Nihon, the first group to do Game Center CX subbing, has released another episode. I honestly thought that they had completely given up on their translation given the extremely long time between releases but there it is.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 12, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Random Stranger posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I thought that they were gone forever but guess who just released episode 11 after more than two years?

I saw one reply in this thread but it was by you so I had a good feeling. Wasn't exactly what I thought but hey, no complaints on my end.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
0.0%. Infinity remaining. :negative:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

My first new GCCX of the new year.... from Nihon?
More arino is still arino!

CapnBiggles
Jan 12, 2004

James Bigglesworth, Defender of the Skies, the Commonwealth, and the Common Good
Wow, something that is both awesome and relevant to my age bracket. This is really something. The funny and nostalgia is overpowering. I can't believe I've never encountered it before. Thank you very much for this thread!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

My first new GCCX of the new year.... from Nihon?
More arino is still arino!

I suppose I should take the opportunity to talk about what's going on behind the scenes. There's an episode that's nearly finished with the translation that's a long requested one. There's three more episodes that I know positively are being worked on.

We're probably still another week or so away from our next release just because things tend to get thrown into chaos between holidays and the new year but there's more episodes coming. I want 2012 to be the year that GCCX is fully translated (and that's the line that made everyone else on the SA Team scream in horror from the thought of all that work :v:)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

I suppose I should take the opportunity to talk about what's going on behind the scenes. There's an episode that's nearly finished with the translation that's a long requested one. There's three more episodes that I know positively are being worked on.

We're probably still another week or so away from our next release just because things tend to get thrown into chaos between holidays and the new year but there's more episodes coming. I want 2012 to be the year that GCCX is fully translated (and that's the line that made everyone else on the SA Team scream in horror from the thought of all that work :v:)

You don't get to take that back. That means you have to do all the live challenges.

(I'll donate to a goon cooling pad/energy drink/snack fund if they actually undertake one/more of the 24 hour challenges)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Oh man, totally forgot this was the beginning of season 3. That means the first appearance of Urakawa. :neckbeard:

e: the back and forth with Abe is fantastic.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 12, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There are those that thought this day would never come. What have they to say now?

I hope they don't suddenly pick up the series again and start translating episodes that have been done by SA.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Ineffiable posted:

You don't get to take that back. That means you have to do all the live challenges.

Uh, I wouldn't want to watch a live challenge. Maybe edit one down to a few hours? That'd still be a lot of work, but it wouldn't have seven hours of that one GIF that always gets posted when someone suggests translating a 24-hour challenge...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

There are those that thought this day would never come. What have they to say now?

I hope they don't suddenly pick up the series again and start translating episodes that have been done by SA.

They still have episode 12 (Takeshi's Castle; a good episode just to watch Arino play with a Power Pad) before they reach an episode that we've done. And then the next one we've done after that is 19, Milon's Secret Castle.

It comes down to if they're planning on putting effort behind translating the show or if it's going to be just like before and it'll be another few years before it's ready.

For what it's worth, Game Center CX is a really tough show to work on from any way you look at it (this isn't something I like to talk about because you guys don't want to read about the sausage making even if you think that you do). There's a lot of complications you don't have when translating a TV drama or a superhero show. It's a huge undertaking to just finish one episode. So I can completely understand why TV Nihon stopped their translation work. Time will tell if they keep going.

FredMSloniker posted:

Uh, I wouldn't want to watch a live challenge. Maybe edit one down to a few hours? That'd still be a lot of work, but it wouldn't have seven hours of that one GIF that always gets posted when someone suggests translating a 24-hour challenge...

Sadly Lemmings is nowhere near as gif-able. Mainly since Arino didn't keep dieing in the first ten seconds over and over and over and over again.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

God bless TV-NIHON, without them I would have never seen this

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: And after I posted it occurred to me that there's a lot of people who have started watching after the long drought so won't understand the post. TV Nihon, the first group to do Game Center CX subbing, has released another episode. I honestly thought that they had completely given up on their translation given the extremely long time between releases but there it is.

I think it's fair to say that the show's popularity in the fan community has been rekindled thanks to you guys which may have spurred TV Nihon. Then again this is TV Nihon, and with their track record it takes them a year or two per episode. Whatever the case I'm pleased to see more GCCX.

Thanks for linking this!

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Random Stranger posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

Game Center CX - Kachou... ON!~

I missed you chief.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

That's actually a mistranslation. The word that they translated as "naked" is better translated as "undressed" since you can be wearing underwear, a bathing suit, or just not be wearing a shirt. So Arino wasn't going for a "naked" Samus, he was going for a Samus without her suit on.

In complete fairness it's the kind of thing I'd miss if I didn't have a few books on common errors in Japanese usage.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Kiranamos posted:

I hope this one isn't encoded in a funky way like their others, watching from my tiny laptop isn't as fun. The SA/Clover translations seem to be the only ones that play properly on my TV!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

That's actually a mistranslation. The word that they translated as "naked" is better translated as "undressed" since you can be wearing underwear, a bathing suit, or just not be wearing a shirt. So Arino wasn't going for a "naked" Samus, he was going for a Samus without her suit on.

In complete fairness it's the kind of thing I'd miss if I didn't have a few books on common errors in Japanese usage.

That makes a lot more sense since even at the end, it's like "Here's the naked footage" and I'm wondering "did Japan get a different version of the game or something?" before they just show the normal bikini footage.

Unfortunately, it's way funnier to think that Arino is gunning for a naked Samus the entire time only to be met with disappointment.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

For what it's worth, Game Center CX is a really tough show to work on from any way you look at it (this isn't something I like to talk about because you guys don't want to read about the sausage making even if you think that you do).

My curiosity is piqued. :clint:

Does this show get Japanese subtitles like dramas do? Does Arino use a lot of Kansai slang and twenty year-old cultural references?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Kiranamos posted:

That whole episode is sad, because the ending he's shooting for can only be obtained by finishing the game in an hour or less. Which he's never told. And there's absolutely no way he's going to get it first try. And he doesn't know he's going to need to reset and try again, so he just keeps playing. It's just doomed from the start, and knowing that is so :smith:

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008
I won't believe that Arino wasn't shooting to see Samus naked again in the Super Metroid Virtual Console special. :colbert:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

Oh wow, I was planning on doing episodes 11 and 12 very soon and then maybe some other really old episodes but I guess I don't have to anymore? 12 (Takeshi's Castle a.k.a. Most Extreme Elimination) is one I've been wanting to do for a while; wonder if they're going to do it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What does zarigani mean if anything? The J.J. & Jeff episodes features a comedy duo called America Zarigani and then there is our master translator too.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Mister Chief posted:

What does zarigani mean if anything? The J.J. & Jeff episodes features a comedy duo called America Zarigani and then there is our master translator too.

I don't know if our own has a different use(plus my Japanese is so, so poor) but I do know that the comedy duo uses the word, which means crayfish.

I'm not aware of any double meanings but that definitely doesn't mean there isn't one as the Japanese love their word games. I don't know if the group's translated name is really America(n?) Crayfish or what. Although they really seem to choose crazy names for these kombi so who knows.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 12, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I feel kinda disappointed that this is a TV-Nihon sub since SAGCCX does an amazing job at subbing since you guys know that a lot of the people watching probably don't know much about Japanese culture, so you change a few things (like some game titles) to make more sense for the English viewers. But, more Arino is never a bad thing, so I'm pretty happy either way. :)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Crotch Bat posted:

I don't know if our own has a different use(plus my Japanese is so, so poor) but I do know that the comedy duo uses the word, which means crayfish.

All this time we thought she was some kind of cyborg. The truth is far more terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Mister Chief posted:

What does zarigani mean if anything?

Crotch Bat posted:

You are correct. I used to have an affinity towards lobsters. There's no single Japanese word for lobster (asides from the obvious "robusutaa") so I went with the closest equivalent, the zarigani, which is like a tiny lobster that live in rivers exclusively in Japan. Lobsters in Japan are also referred to as American Zarigani, which is what the comedy duo named themselves after.