Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
V is Valdez Is Coming, apparently.

Edit: And W looks like Westworld. No idea about the others, though.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

penismightier posted:

U is Up In Smoke.
V is Valdez Is Coming (1971). X looks like X, Y and Zee (1972). Y is Yanks (1979).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I would've gotten Valdez Is Coming but that movie put me in a coma.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

jet sanchEz posted:

Hahah, whoops. Since we are talking a little bit about Spike Jonze, there was a great article that I read a few years ago that talked about the very low output that some of the young, new, and trendy directors were responsible for. The article talked about Jonze, Fincher, Tarintino and a couple of others who make great films but only do a film every few years. Of course, the article looked back in comparison at other great directors who had very high output when they were the young, new, and trendy directors in Hollywood---Speilberg, Scorcese, Copolla, De Palma, and a few others. For me, the really interesting part was how the article went into details about the shared working relationships that these guys were able to enjoy back in the '80s and '90s which made their jobs as directors that much easier. That ability to call Akira Kurosawa up on the phone and ask him how he might shoot a thing doesn't exist in Hollywood today EXCEPT that then the article talked to Iñárritu, Cuarón, and del Toro and how they do share that type of relationship.

It was a great article, but I just don't recall where I found it, does it ring a bell for anyone? ,

Wow, I could use something like this.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Going off of a conversation I had earlier today, what movie would you say embodies the stereotypical rom-com best?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

Going off of a conversation I had earlier today, what movie would you say embodies the stereotypical rom-com best?
Single title? When Harry Met Sally... (1989). It's not the best, most original, or anything like that. But it is exactly, identically, a by-the-numbers, very conventional, stereotypical romantic comedy.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, When Harry Met Sally is probably the best example. The frameworkd of modern RomComs was of course accidentally created when Woody Allen jumbled together bits of a failed movie he was trying to make and ended up with Annie Hall. However, even though it's kind of the mother of the genre, you can't say that's typical of most RomComs at all. When Harry Met Sally was pretty much the first movie to really copy Annie Hall but make it more palatable for mass consumption. It's still a pretty good movie though, and much better and less predictable than most of the movies it spawned.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

SubG posted:

V is Valdez Is Coming (1971). X looks like X, Y and Zee (1972). Y is Yanks (1979).

poo poo, I thought X was Xanadu

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Could X be Xala? Or are those only English/American films?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Zogo posted:

Could X be Xala? Or are those only English/American films?

Now that you say this, I think I might agree with you. The over the shoulder shot of the woman definitely would fit for Xala, even if I can't remember that particular scene (its been a while).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

Now that you say this, I think I might agree with you. The over the shoulder shot of the woman definitely would fit for Xala, even if I can't remember that particular scene (its been a while).

The artist didn't really look much further than the first page of GIS - looks like he took it from this shot of X, Y and Zee:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The poster:

Liz Taylor in X, Y and Zee:

Edit: From hell's heart I stab at thee, morestuff.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

morestuff posted:

The artist didn't really look much further than the first page of GIS - looks like he took it from this shot of X, Y and Zee:

Fair enough. I didn't realize the gray arc was a bar, rather than a pompous African man's suit shoulder.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I thought she was buttfucking a rhino.

From the Dorkside
Jan 5, 2012
Does a man struggling to make a super awesome cup of tea sound like a premise that is watchable/able to be stretched out for 5 minutes?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You can stretch anything out for 5 minutes.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

From the Dorkside posted:

Does a man struggling to make a super awesome cup of tea sound like a premise that is watchable/able to be stretched out for 5 minutes?
This could be interesting if it's made in a funny slapstick sort of way. Just value sound design over all. Sound design is the thing that 90 % of all shorts do poorly, but it is so vital.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

From the Dorkside
Jan 5, 2012

csidle posted:

This could be interesting if it's made in a funny slapstick sort of way. Just value sound design over all. Sound design is the thing that 90 % of all shorts do poorly, but it is so vital.

Honestly that's what I figured, maybe a dude in pj's and a bathrobe mixing together various kinds of tea/agonizing over the time it's brewing, how much creamer, sugar, etc. then have it play gregorian chanting when he gets the perfect cup, with lights shining forth and what have you. The pay-off being of course when he heads off to drink it he drops it on the kitchen linoleum. :shepicide:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Honestly that's what I figured, maybe a dude in pj's and a bathrobe mixing together various kinds of tea/agonizing over the time it's brewing, how much creamer, sugar, etc. then have it play gregorian chanting when he gets the perfect cup, with lights shining forth and what have you. The pay-off being of course when he heads off to drink it and a robber breaks in and shoots him. He falls dead in the kitchen, the camera lingering in a final shot of his bloody hand laying inches from the shattered teacup. In the background, you hear the sounds of the burgler rummaging through cabinets and stealing his teamaking supplies.

Now it's a black comedy. :black101:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

csidle posted:

Make it like the episode of Frasier with Niles trying to iron some pants.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Can anyone think of some good monologues or just good lines in general that would work to be used in an action thriller trailer tribute? I'm trying to do an action film trailer using GTA4, mostly just to hone my editing skills, but I want to base the protagonist on a film character. I'd like a monologue that would function as exposition for the story presented by the trailer, so one that seeks to summarize a plot would be perfect. I'm thinking of getting my hands on Payback to see if Mel Gibson delivers a monologue in that, that could be used. Aside from that, I'm also considering using Max Payne's monologues. Any ideas for similiar things that I could use?

csidle fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 11, 2012

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

csidle posted:

Can anyone think of some good monologues or just good lines in general that would work to be used in a sort of typical action thriller trailer tribute? I'm trying to do an action film trailer using GTA4, mostly just to hone my editing skills, but I want to base the protagonist on a film character. I'd like a monologue that would function as exposition for the story presented by the trailer, so one that seeks to summarize a plot would be perfect. I'm thinking of getting my hands on Payback to see if Mel Gibson delivers a monologue in that, that could be used. Aside from that, I'm also considering using Max Payne's monologues. Any ideas for similiar things that I could use?

There's a phone threat Liam Neeson delivers in Taken that seems ripe for this (and it's in the trailers).

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 11, 2012

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

There's a phone threat Liam Neeson delivers in Taken that seems ripe for this (and it's in the trailers).
Ah yes, thanks! I'd forgotten about that. In fact, I think I'm just gonna watch Taken and note down every line that could be used. That phone threat is crazy though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Maltese Falcon has some classics:

quote:

When a man's partner is killed, he's supposed to do something about it. It doesn't make any difference what you thought of him. He was your partner and you're supposed to do something about it. And it happens we're in the detective business. Well, when one of your organization gets killed, it's-it's bad business to let the killer get away with it, bad all around, bad for every detective everywhere.

quote:

Now, both you and the police have as much as accused me of being mixed up in the other night's murders. Well, I've had trouble with both of you before. And as far as I can see my best chance of clearing myself of the trouble you're trying to make for me, is by bringing in the murderers all tied up. And the only chance I've got of catching them, and tying them up, and bringing them in, is by staying as far away as possible from you and the police, because you'd only gum up the works.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

csidle posted:

Can anyone think of some good monologues or just good lines in general that would work to be used in an action thriller trailer tribute? I'm trying to do an action film trailer using GTA4, mostly just to hone my editing skills, but I want to base the protagonist on a film character. I'd like a monologue that would function as exposition for the story presented by the trailer, so one that seeks to summarize a plot would be perfect. I'm thinking of getting my hands on Payback to see if Mel Gibson delivers a monologue in that, that could be used. Aside from that, I'm also considering using Max Payne's monologues. Any ideas for similiar things that I could use?

The new Rambo is filled with these types of monologues.

For example: Killing's as easy as breathing

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 11, 2012

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

csidle posted:

http://youtu.be/NzmpTG1CZzI

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Macy's character in Fargo is in financial trouble, so he "finances" a dozen cars through GMAC -- that is, he takes out car loans from GM's official credit lending agency, which was once enormous -- but uses fake VINs (Vehicle Identification Numbers). They send him the money, as he works for a dealer, but when they put the VINs into their computer system, they come up as not being attached to a car, throwing up a red flag. They call him to tell him to send the actual VINs, and you see him playing with a paper and trying to write them so they come through the fax as unreadable. Later they call and demand he send a physical copy.

It's clear he's in need of a lot of money, but I don't think it's ever clear exactly what he needs it for except that it's urgent and long overdue. He pulls the car financing thing because he's desperate, and it's the reason he needs his wife kidnapped (or the parking lot deal to go through -- though it seems clear he wants to use the money for the parking lot development just to pay his debtors).

I actually think it's a part of the brilliance of the movie to not make it explicit. It could be as simple as credit card debt, or as complex as a loan shark, but it's not a necessary part of the story.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

nocal posted:

Macy's character in Fargo is in financial trouble, so he "finances" a dozen cars through GMAC -- that is, he takes out car loans from GM's official credit lending agency, which was once enormous -- but uses fake VINs (Vehicle Identification Numbers). They send him the money, as he works for a dealer, but when they put the VINs into their computer system, they come up as not being attached to a car, throwing up a red flag. They call him to tell him to send the actual VINs, and you see him playing with a paper and trying to write them so they come through the fax as unreadable. Later they call and demand he send a physical copy.

It's clear he's in need of a lot of money, but I don't think it's ever clear exactly what he needs it for except that it's urgent and long overdue. He pulls the car financing thing because he's desperate, and it's the reason he needs his wife kidnapped (or the parking lot deal to go through -- though it seems clear he wants to use the money for the parking lot development just to pay his debtors).

I actually think it's a part of the brilliance of the movie to not make it explicit. It could be as simple as credit card debt, or as complex as a loan shark, but it's not a necessary part of the story.

I was always under the impression that he scammed GMAC to pay the kidnappers, and then the ransom from the kidnapping would be to pay for the car dealership, which would then (in his head) make him not a schmuck and earn the respect of [insert anyone here].

You are right, though. It specifics don't matter. He believes he needs money, and we believe him. Everything else is just icing.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
He's getting the father to pay the ransom, though he tells him the ransom is much higher than he told the kidnappers they'd get, so he'd be able to siphon a large amount of it off himself. At the same time, he was trying to convince the father to give him money to buy the parking lot and make him a full partner in that venture. Stupidly, he set up the kidnapping when he though the lot deal wouldn't go through, which is why he tried to call it off when he heard the father would go in for the deal. Of course, that didn't turn out the way he wanted it to. The GMAC money I think is pretty much unaccounted for as far as an explanation as to what he needed it for is concerned, aside that he had debts. I believe the parking lot was the legitimate way for him to get a constant stream of money coming in, whereas the kidnapping would be a quick way to get a lot of money in at once.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I got the Fanny and Alexander Criterion blu-ray set for Christmas, so I'm finally able to watch the miniseries version (I've been holding off on watching it at all so I could see the full version). Two questions: is the miniseries still broken up into episodes on the blu-ray release? And if so, how long are the episodes?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ClydeUmney posted:

I got the Fanny and Alexander Criterion blu-ray set for Christmas, so I'm finally able to watch the miniseries version (I've been holding off on watching it at all so I could see the full version). Two questions: is the miniseries still broken up into episodes on the blu-ray release? And if so, how long are the episodes?

It was broken up on the Criterion DVD into 4 episodes IIRC:

1- 1:32:37
2- 1:15:06
3- 56:54
4- 1:26:38

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nocal posted:

Yea, I was wondering about how the mechanics of the GMAC scam worked. I have never bought a car, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

I think one of my favorite things in the movie is that Buchemi buries a ton of money by the side of the road, and its just left there.

I saw that Annie Hall and Manhatten are getting released this year on BR, and that made me wonder what the general consensus on Woody Allens comedies like Sleeper, Bananas and such? I remember them quite fondly, but rarely do I hear them mentioned when people talk about Allens body of work.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I saw that Annie Hall and Manhatten are getting released this year on BR, and that made me wonder what the general consensus on Woody Allens comedies like Sleeper, Bananas and such? I remember them quite fondly, but rarely do I hear them mentioned when people talk about Allens body of work.

I think most people prefer his early, funny ones.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Zogo posted:

It was broken up on the Criterion DVD into 4 episodes IIRC:

1- 1:32:37
2- 1:15:06
3- 56:54
4- 1:26:38

Awesome - thank you so much! That is odd that they vary so much (you'd think a TV miniseries would be consistent), but works for me. Thanks again for the info.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
I've been looking into expanding my grindhouse collection, and was wondering what specific movies I should keep an eye out for, any good box sets, and a good place to buy them. I was also wwas wondering if there were any decent sites for older movie posters. Replicas are fine, im not lookiing for vintage or collectibles, just some cool older movie posters.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

KillRoy posted:

I've been looking into expanding my grindhouse collection, and was wondering what specific movies I should keep an eye out for, any good box sets, and a good place to buy them. I was also wwas wondering if there were any decent sites for older movie posters. Replicas are fine, im not lookiing for vintage or collectibles, just some cool older movie posters.

Movie Poster Shop has a broad selection and the print quality is generally pretty decent. They're reproductions, so some are a little blurry, but they're good enough.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I was watching the documentary called Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State today and I thought for sure the translations in the first two minutes of this clip were voiced by Anthony Hopkins. However, I'm not finding anything on IMDB or Google to indicate that Hopkins had anything to do with that documentary. Is that Hopkins? If so, is it normal for actors doing voiceover work to be completely uncredited?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

twistedmentat posted:

I think one of my favorite things in the movie is that Buchemi buries a ton of money by the side of the road, and its just left there.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2003/jun/06/artsfeatures1

Jesse remembered how he and the other officer tried to explain to Takako that Fargo was just a movie, that it was all make-believe. There was no treasure buried anywhere really, they kept trying to make her understand. Takako was polite as ever, very friendly and co-operative, but Jesse could tell she wasn't listening. They finally had to give up. "I remember it real clear. Guess her mind was made up. She was just dead set on going to Fargo," Jesse said. He took her to the bus station to catch the next Greyhound east. The next time he thought about her was when the detectives called from Detroit Lakes, over the state line in Minnesota, to say that a Japanese girl had been found dead in their woods, with his card in her wallet.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

SkunkDuster posted:

I was watching the documentary called Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State today and I thought for sure the translations in the first two minutes of this clip were voiced by Anthony Hopkins. However, I'm not finding anything on IMDB or Google to indicate that Hopkins had anything to do with that documentary. Is that Hopkins? If so, is it normal for actors doing voiceover work to be completely uncredited?

Sounds more like Malcolm McDowell to me, but I can't find anything to back that up.