Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

CLEANIN UP THE STREETS

That is not what "backing it in" is supposed to be :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Whoever (mead?) makes those pink erasers knocked out a few prototype tires back in the day, just for that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That would be the gummiest race tire ever

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Snowdens Secret posted:

That is not what "backing it in" is supposed to be :colbert:

I'm trying to imagine if that's possible on a goldwing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gnaghi posted:

I'm trying to imagine if that's possible on a goldwing.

It does have reverse...?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APBceSUF634

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Olde Weird Tip posted:

lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APBceSUF634

gently caress that. That's exactly how my Traxxas T-Maxx blew its engine after I just finished restoring it after sitting for ten years. :mad:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Xovaan posted:

gently caress that. That's exactly how my Traxxas T-Maxx blew its engine after I just finished restoring it after sitting for ten years. :mad:

Electric supremacy :smugbert:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I have the OEM tail rack which relocates the tool bag to a little tube on the side of the bike on my DRZ. This morning when I left it was shut, but when I got to work the rubber lid had popped out and I had no tools left in there. Which means as a drove around I was dropping wrenches and screwdrivers and poo poo all over the place. Sorry everyone! :shepface:

Should I repurchase a tool kit? I feel like its kind of a waste since if I truly needed it at a time I'd be better prepared (camping or whatever) and I'd probably use AAA or call a friend or something.
Or should I just raid harbor freight and get some probably nicer cheap tools?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nothing on a DRZ is going to break ever and if you crash bad enough to need any basic tools you'll be very dead already

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I have the OEM tail rack which relocates the tool bag to a little tube on the side of the bike on my DRZ. This morning when I left it was shut, but when I got to work the rubber lid had popped out and I had no tools left in there. Which means as a drove around I was dropping wrenches and screwdrivers and poo poo all over the place. Sorry everyone! :shepface:

Should I repurchase a tool kit? I feel like its kind of a waste since if I truly needed it at a time I'd be better prepared (camping or whatever) and I'd probably use AAA or call a friend or something.
Or should I just raid harbor freight and get some probably nicer cheap tools?

Your DRZ has gotten all of the KTM and Husky out of its system by raining down parts (tools) all over the road.

It should be good to go until the heat death of the universe now.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Woooooo

:smith:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

football gear over snowboarding apparel, motosliders, and ice skates.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
short drywall screws in your old tires, as well.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Having road in that with Distanzas, I can tell you you probably won't even get out of the driveway. It's really not doable. :smith:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gnaghi posted:

Having road in that with Distanzas, I can tell you you probably won't even get out of the driveway. It's really not doable. :smith:

Having also rode in that with Distanzias, I can tell you that I made it to work OK when I took it real slow; I would have walked but I knew for a fact the weather was going to heat up over the day and melt most of it and I needed to get somewhere right after work. My biggest fear was getting mown down by idiots in cars who couldn't stop.

The Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa 3s my bike came with... now those I couldn't get out of the driveway.

It never snows more than a few days in a row here, even in last years SNOWPOCALYPSE EUROPE, so it's not worth me dry-wall-screwing any of my old tyres. I saw a thread on ADV where a guy made a set of light-use motorcycle chains, I can't find a decent source for v-bar snow chain though. Still, it's do-able if you're determined.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Props if you plan on using drywall screwed tires on pavement covered in snow. I can see that ending up pretty loving terrible.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I had maybe three feet of snow and couldn't get any traction no matter where I sat on the bike. I had to shovel a path out for it.

Then I did donuts in a parking lot and fell off ten times so that was ok I guess.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I want to get those Distanzas for my DRZ when I need new tires, are they the go-to for light dirt riding? Do they wear out in like 15 minutes?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Has this been posted already?
http://youtu.be/FGmQkLSoNzM some Swedish gangsta rappers with the Superretards. its pretty funny

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Needs more supermotos, more boobs, and less boring cars.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I want to get those Distanzas for my DRZ when I need new tires, are they the go-to for light dirt riding? Do they wear out in like 15 minutes?

I rode on them for a year and they're still in my basement with good tread. They handle pretty good on the street and will pull the bike out of swampy mud puddles and up dirt hills.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I think I have 3k+ on my Distanzia rear, and that was almost exclusively tarmac on a 690 SMC (which in my experience eat rear tyres). It has just gotten to the wear bars on one side. The few times I've gone off road it's been fine in dirt and gravel. They're a pretty soft compound but they have a lot of tread, way deeper than most, so they last really well.

These 17 inch (AM44) Distanzias have (or so I read somewhere) a slightly modified compound from the larger ones they put on the adventure bikes. Specifically designed for use with street-motards like the DRZ and KTM LC4s.

I run mine with the Avon Pro Extreme Rain (PXR) on the front, because we get a poo poo-ton of rain here. When I push the distanzia in the corners it's very predictable when it starts to let go.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When you own a DRZ, you own it FOR LIFE, SON.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_c_palm_beach_county/royal_palm_beach/shooting-in-royal-palm-beach-village-townhouses-community

Where is the crying DRZ emote?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

What's everyone's preference for helmets for supermoto bikes, road, dual sport or off road?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Motocross helmet with these.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Aargh posted:

What's everyone's preference for helmets for supermoto bikes, road, dual sport or off road?

Riding in the mountains >60mph - road helmet
loving around campus/town/skatepark - motocross helmet

The Arai XD-3 looks pretty nice though

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
Agree with all three points of the above.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've got the Shoei Hornet DS, it's the best of both worlds imo;

Visor (pinlock equipped) or goggles
plenty of venting
comfortable
not too heavy
looks rad (I frequently get compliments)

They also do them in some nice plain colour schemes, mine is in a slightly metallic dark anthracite grey. No decals, crazy stripes or tribals, which is nice.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Cool looks like a good enough excuse to shop for a new helmet.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've got the Shoei Hornet DS, it's the best of both worlds imo;

Visor (pinlock equipped) or goggles
plenty of venting
comfortable
not too heavy
looks rad (I frequently get compliments)

They also do them in some nice plain colour schemes, mine is in a slightly metallic dark anthracite grey. No decals, crazy stripes or tribals, which is nice.

Seconded. The Hornet was by far the most comfortable of all the DS-style helmets I tried on (although I guess it depends on your head shape). The only downside is that there are 5 screws to take out to swap visors.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

upsidedown posted:

Seconded. The Hornet was by far the most comfortable of all the DS-style helmets I tried on (although I guess it depends on your head shape). The only downside is that there are 5 screws to take out to swap visors.

I only take out the two plastic outer ones to remove mine - Maybe you're being over-fastidious?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I've been waiting for some doom to befall my current helmet so I can upgrade to an FX39. Here's hoping.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Haha, I really want that helmet too.

**BAD NEWS**

I got into an accident and need to replace the right radiator, right plastic shroud thing (white) and some other knick knacks. One issue is my bars are slghtly lopsided now, it appears the risers are not lined up properly anymore, its not a triple tree or fork issue and the bars are not bent.

Best place for DRZ Parts? :downs:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BikeBandit?

Sucks about the crash? You OK?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You ok buddy?

Id check thumpertalk and ebay for parts.

All of my friends have been crashing lately :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AML4zEm-c8

A classic Layer Dan example.

Also note that the bike in question has a digital camo paint job courtesy of duct tape. A process that I would like to take credit for: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125553&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29#post375903506

It doesnt matter if its rim tape or duct tape, I'm on the tape game.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Olde Weird Tip posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AML4zEm-c8

A classic Layer Dan example.

:dong: indeed

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any other daily DRZ riders constantly getting hemorrhoids? I need to replace this loving seat, god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pretty much any stock supermoto seat is like a 2x4

• Locked thread