Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Duckjob posted:

IMG_0374 by capacity4action, on Flickr

Suddenly I have an urge to borrow a lens.... Clever subliminal advertising, mister!

That's pretty awesome though, that video sorta showing off 25600 was very impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Man, if the 5D3 doesn't have that sensor I am literally going to have to buy a 1DX.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Cockwhore posted:

I read an article that proclaims the coming death of the dSLR, and its replacement by mirrorless cameras. What do y'all think?

It's written by Trey Ratcliffe, who is

a) a terrible 'photographer'
b) responsible for like 75% of the lovely HDR on the internet
c) objectively speaking, a loving tard.

...anyways, fun stuff! Anyone who browses 500px will have seen this guy's work. As a non-macro person, I found this whole interview pretty interesting.

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/interview-magical-insect-photographer

And if not, just look at the pretty colors.

Wonderland by AimishBoy, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That's the most phallic picture I've ever seen.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

I thought the same thing. "Why are there sprouts on tha-... ohhhhhhhhh"

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
You know when you're talking to a guy about their sex life or something and they say something kinda like "oh and she is just crazy kinked" but don't pony up with the juice when you yank on their little "secret" draw string?

When they do that, I know they're into pegging. Or at least like, a finger up their butt during a bj. You just revealed to me, by not telling me, that you like to offer your masculine anus up in the sack.

And I think, like Quentin Tarantino and all the feet in his films, if you find something straight with a predominately bulbous head phallic, you've just told everyone that you're circumcised.

EDIT: Like, now I know what your dick looks like.

EDIT 2: I wish Nikon would release the D800 it looks super neat. 36mp is crazy mad.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 10, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Heads up: LR4 beta--
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4/

Anyone tried it yet? I might try it out this weekend if I have some time.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Playing with it now. Being able to crush your whites is pretty cool. I don't really get what the highlight and shadows sliders on in the Basic tab do differently from those in the Tone Curve tab. There is a Moire brush now. Still digging for new stuff.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm finding it very hard to go out and take pictures. There just seems to be no interesting subjects in this area of the country. Next month I think I'll buy a remote shutter release and play around with self portraits...

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

tuyop posted:

I'm finding it very hard to go out and take pictures. There just seems to be no interesting subjects in this area of the country. Next month I think I'll buy a remote shutter release and play around with self portraits...

make the subjects! find a creepy mannequin and shoot that in places. etc. etc. see it as a challenge!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

tuyop posted:

There aren't really any boring places or subjects, just boring ways of seeing and photographing them. I think this is something we all fall prey to, especially at home.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah, as we enter Winter full-force, I'm finding that it's hard to see inspiration in things more and more. BUT, on the upside, Winter is the ideal time to shoot more B&W film!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Try switching things up. Go macro or long telephoto or something. It'll force you to find new ways to see the things you always see.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
I've been having that "no inspiration in my area" problem as well, for probably close to a year. Even when I force myself to get out and shoot, I just don't feel like anything I bring back is any good or new. I've been shooting everything in this area for around five years now, and it's gotten boring as hell. Sure, I could hop in the car and drive 50 miles in any direction and find things to shoot, but that's a poo poo-ton of gas money where I live.

But I have found a solution to this, for now anyway. I joined a photography group on meetup.com. Sure it's filled with runaway egos and people obsessed with terrible HDR, but their scheduled events give me something to shoot; things that I may not have ever thought to shoot before. This Sunday, for example, we're going to go shoot the massive Monarch Butterfly migrations south of here. Tens or hundreds of thousands of butterflies, grouped together so thick that from a distance the trees look orange. That's something that I probably never would have thought to shoot on my own.

So that's something you could try. And if there's no photo groups in your area, make one!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

tuyop posted:

If you really want to get out of the funk just set your self timer to 10 seconds and you've gotten rid of the need for the remote shutter release.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

HookShot posted:

If you really want to get out of the funk just set your self timer to 10 seconds and you've gotten rid of the need for the remote shutter release.

I found this to get very old very fast. The a wired remote shutter is like $3 on Amazon, or you can get wireless options around $10-$20.

Luckily for me, my flash transceivers (Cactus V5s) also trigger my shutter.

VVVVVV- I feel like we should be friends - VVVV

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 11, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I take pictures of cats and lego constructions to keep my interest up. Both can be fun, lego is unique because I can create whatever type of scene I want and play with lighting it. My favorite is to lock myself in the bathroom and use a flashlight to paint with, wife thinks I'm nuts but what does she know. :colbert:

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

That 70s Shirt posted:

This Sunday, for example, we're going to go shoot the massive Monarch Butterfly migrations south of here. Tens or hundreds of thousands of butterflies, grouped together so thick that from a distance the trees look orange. !

I'd really like to see that

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Verman posted:

I found this to get very old very fast. The a wired remote shutter is like $3 on Amazon, or you can get wireless options around $10-$20.

Luckily for me, my flash transceivers (Cactus V5s) also trigger my shutter.

But then you're always holding some poo poo in your hands. Laaaaaame!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Regarding self portraits with a timer instead of a remote of some sort, how do you work the focus? Do you just set it on AI autofocus or manual or something? I've never not blown the focus on a timed shot of myself.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Put something where you're going to be and focus the camera on that. I usually shoot self portraits at f8 and probably wouldn't go any wider than 5.6 if you want any leeway with your depth of field.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

Put something where you're going to be and focus the camera on that. I usually shoot self portraits at f8 and probably wouldn't go any wider than 5.6 if you want any leeway with your depth of field.

Yeah, I usually just set up a spare tripod where I'm going to stand, and focus on that. Then swap the tripod out for myself. It's not perfect, but it's worked for me.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

RangerScum posted:

But then you're always holding some poo poo in your hands. Laaaaaame!

You have your remote trigger start a 10 second timer. Then you can drop and finish your pose.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Self portraiture is fun!

Muslin-11 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

I'd recommend trying some self limitations if you want some inspiration, I was bored one day so I did a complete walk around a local lake at Golden Hour, but I only allowed myself my 50mm f1.8. Really helped to be thinking about positioning and so on.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

aliencowboy posted:

Same here, and all I do is look at pictures of cocks all day long.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

psylent posted:

Same here, and all I do is look at pictures of cocks all day long.

that's why I wish I'd gone into urology, then my hobby could have been my job as well

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Ugh, I'm probably 1/3 through the 1500 shots I took in France. I open up Lightroom, see all the stuff I have yet to do, and just close it. How do you guys manage?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Suicide Watch posted:

Ugh, I'm probably 1/3 through the 1500 shots I took in France. I open up Lightroom, see all the stuff I have yet to do, and just close it. How do you guys manage?

It's all about selection. Knock the selects down to a manageable number and you'll be good to go. Don't waste time working on photos you won't even see through to the end.

Also, break the photos up by location. That'll help keep things workable by breaking them up into smaller groups as opposed to a giant pool.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Suicide Watch posted:

Lightroom is great for photo curation. Use the stars to run through 5 cycles of elimination and you should be able to reduce the total amount by more than 70%. Then you can get started working on them.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My workflow for big picture sets (I have a couple of 1000+ travel sets)
1. Import the pictures into Lightroom. My computer is slow, this takes about 2-3 seconds per RAW image.
2. In Library mode, go through the set quickly, making snap judgements, using the stars.
2.1 5 stars is for something I think stands alone as a good picture
2.2 4 stars is for OK images that might be useful for a story I'm trying to tell (e.g. "I visited this historic site")
2.3 1 star is for ruined crap - out of focus, ridiculous exposure mistakes (e.g. ISO 1600, F/5.6, 1/100s in full daylight)
2.4 2 or 3 stars are for pictures I think are poor, but might be worth trying to save if they're somehow critical for a story (e.g. the only pictures taken on that day when something cool happened).

This starring process is pretty quick. I like to put on some music, zone part-way out, and just grind through it. If I start getting bored or badly distracted I'll take a 5-minute break every 100th or 200th picture.

3. Delete all the 1-stars, and hide everything that's not 5-stars
4. Go through the pile of 5-star pictures and remove effective duplicates by re-assigning them to 4 stars - multiple good pictures that show the same subject in much the same way.
5. Switch to Develop mode, and start bringing individual images up to a level I'm happy showing to somebody else.
6. If I find I'm missing a key shot, I'll dig through the 4-star pile for it (this happens extremely rarely).

This whole process takes several sessions for big sets, I currently (shamefully) have three or four more-than-500-pictures sets I'm somewhere in the middle of. On the upside, I can choose what I'll do when I sit down in Lightroom, depending on my mood - sometimes I just want to blast through and assign stars, sometimes I want to upload just half-a-dozen pictures to Flickr.

Chopping up big travel sets by day or place also helps, you can build on a sense of accomplishment as you finish working on each sub-component.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

HPL posted:

It's all about selection. Knock the selects down to a manageable number and you'll be good to go. Don't waste time working on photos you won't even see through to the end.

Also, break the photos up by location. That'll help keep things workable by breaking them up into smaller groups as opposed to a giant pool.
This is exactly what I do, but the other way around.

I say "oh I'll do the ones from this day now" and then start by cutting them down, makes it much more manageable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I whittle down large sets in Lightroom with the X key, because you can easily delete rejected photos by selecting from a menu. If it's out of focus or total poo poo, it gets rejected.

That's the first pass. Then my second pass I'll give promising shots a 3 star. Third pass I pick from the best of the 3 star shots and bump them up to 4 stars. From there I'll use the P key to pick pictures I'll actually upload.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
For those of you who feel in a funk because of weather or you think there's nothing interesting, I suggest studying more photos. I guarantee there are an infinite amount of things to shoot but you just don't know how to express it in way that excites you. If you look at enough work and really think about what you want to capture, you will be inspired by your surroundings again. Trust me it will happen.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I import, then I quickly look through stuff and flap (p) images. I then switch over to the development section and usually edit most of the "flagged" ones. I think the trick is to look at all or a big number of photos at once if you have been on a trip or something. Spent like a few seconds on each photo max.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Engadget has video of the Nikon D4 doing this networked shooting thing. It's pretty neat.

quote:

After getting our eager mitts on Nikon's long overdue D3 successor, aptly named the D4, we got a second chance to revisit our fat-bodied, photo-taking friend at the company's CES booth. The 16.2MP DSLR features a 3.2-inch LCD screen and is capable of 1080p video capture at 30fps. But that's not why we went back for more and it's not why you're reading this right now. We were keen to put the D4's big, bad networking capabilities to the test -- one of which links an array of up to ten of the cameras together for simultaneous, remote shooting over WiFi. Unfortunately, this feature requires use of the TW-5A wireless dongle, which is still awaiting FCC certification and could not be demonstrated. Neither could the imaging company show off the one-to-one connection that allows an auxiliary camera to be controlled from a primary unit. We did get to briefly interact with the camera's native web server running on a laptop, from which you can snap shots, toggle settings (like ISO and shutter speed), playback and download your recordings.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
For kicks, they should have ended the article with "Sent from my Nikon D4".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:stare: x 1,000

My camera doesn't have an ethernet port or an http server. I can't help but feel vastly inferior now :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

:stare: x 1,000

My camera doesn't have an ethernet port or an http server. I can't help but feel vastly inferior now :(

gently caress the eye-fi card or whatever, eventually cameras are going to run on fully wireless 9G mobile technology or some poo poo, will have no on-board storage, and will rather send all pictures to a remote 3-disk RAID. You'll be able to log into it and edit from any computer. THE FUTURE.

:pcgaming:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Free 4-month subscription to "Professional Photographer" magazine, if anybody's interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415037&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=20#post399501531

No idea if it's terrible or not, so I'm just going in expecting the worst. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

(No credit card info needed. Will probably take a few months to start showing up.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

DJExile posted:

gently caress the eye-fi card or whatever, eventually cameras are going to run on fully wireless 9G mobile technology or some poo poo, will have no on-board storage, and will rather send all pictures to a remote 3-disk RAID. You'll be able to log into it and edit from any computer. THE FUTURE.

:pcgaming:

then it'll be a countdown until someone with a microwave ruins a 100,000 dollar photography production.