Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinterstum
Jul 30, 2003

Pixelboy posted:

In the past, all new graduates I've hired were previously our interns. I can say I've never hired a graduate who wasn't -- it's just the way it's worked out.

Thinking about it, that's actually been true for us as well for the past two years, or so. Though that's mainly that we haven't needed to hire any more juniors than the few interns who worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

uglynoodles posted:

Right, so, I just signed up for a college course in Foundation Game Art with the view to completing this and going on to the next course, which is obtaining a Bachelor's in Game Art.
I hope this looks good on a resumée once I'm all done with it, it's a four year commitment and stuff.

At the very least, the time with the college will help me come up with a (hopefully) killer portfolio. It'd be nice to work in-house somewhere.

Dream big, right? :)

That's awesome, well done! Keep at it! Know what really helps keeping at it ;and for that matter, getting way ahead of everyone else and looking like an all-round baddass? Join a good 3d forum like Polycount or our one in CC.. and join a mod for a game you like. If you have any questions or need help don't hesitate in asking someone or consulting the forums and youtube. If you seriously work towards it you can probably swing the stuff you make as your study projects and leap ahead of everyone else.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
polycount.com is a great resource and ugly you should definitely post stuff there. Also, remember that just because you're working on something in class, you should still be working on stuff outside of class as well. People in the industry work on stuff outside of work, and school won't give you enough raw hours of experience to be competitive with those folks who work and then go home and make more art still.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Vinterstum posted:

Thinking about it, that's actually been true for us as well for the past two years, or so. Though that's mainly that we haven't needed to hire any more juniors than the few interns who worked out.

Yes, same here. A few junior hires here and there. The last several hires have all had 10+ years. The same was true for our last few design and art hires as well (I'm in engineering)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Any Kixeye goons here?

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
Interviewing with a certain company based in Redwood City. I'm pretty sure I'm the only candidate still in the running outside California.

Anybody got tips for keeping recruiters enthused? I understand that location is a big part of an applicant's chances, but I know my skill set is very strong.

If only I lived in Cali...

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Is there a list somewhere of game developer podcasts? Or even better, anyone in here do one?

I want to get an idea of what developers and publishers are up to with these, and what sort of topics they cover, as well as how frequently they release. Seems like a fun thing to do, but I'll need a good proposal if I want to run my own.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

polycount.com is a great resource and ugly you should definitely post stuff there. Also, remember that just because you're working on something in class, you should still be working on stuff outside of class as well. People in the industry work on stuff outside of work, and school won't give you enough raw hours of experience to be competitive with those folks who work and then go home and make more art still.

I always agree with whatever Sigma says but this is no exception. One of the reasons why I started working as a character artist fresh out of school is because I put in my own time outside of school and posted stuff on Polycount that got me noticed even if it was just a little bit.

Really, anybody trying to become a game artist who isn't getting involved with communities is just hurting their opportunities.

M4rk posted:

Interviewing with a certain company based in Redwood City. I'm pretty sure I'm the only candidate still in the running outside California.

Anybody got tips for keeping recruiters enthused? I understand that location is a big part of an applicant's chances, but I know my skill set is very strong.

If only I lived in Cali...

Trion or EA? If Trion let me know, I work there and don't have much say in stuff as far as hiring goe but if you're applying for an artist position I can give you some pointers.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

The podcasts Irrational put out (the normal "this is what we're up to" ones, and the interview ones) are by far the best ones I've heard coming from a studio, definitely check them out.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

FreakyZoid posted:

The podcasts Irrational put out (the normal "this is what we're up to" ones, and the interview ones) are by far the best ones I've heard coming from a studio, definitely check them out.

They are great but it's still no Idle Thumbs. :'(

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Does anybody know what "work eligibility" means in the employment application forms? If I am a foreigner that needs a work visa am I eligible or not?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Formal offer probably won't be done until tomorrow, but the agency tells me that I have got the Build Engineer job with Ubisoft Reflections. Really looking forward to it, everything clicked and Newcastle is great, I just need to drive a heavily-burdened, decade-old Corsa up there.

Weeeee!

Chernabog posted:

Does anybody know what "work eligibility" means in the employment application forms? If I am a foreigner that needs a work visa am I eligible or not?

Pretty sure that's talking about work visas, if you're native or have the work visa I think that means you're eligible.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Does anyone happen to know if there is a legal reason preventing a small business from buying (much cheaper) OEM software? It looks like Maya, Photoshop, etc can all be had for substantially reduced prices, and I don't especially care about them not including support contracts - we just need to be operating above-board, in terms of software licenses in-house.

EDIT: This, specifically, is what I happened across - http://www.cheapest-software-store.com/

EDIT: Did more research, ok yeah, that's a pirate site. "Can't register the product" == counterfeit keys.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 16, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Shalinor posted:

Does anyone happen to know if there is a legal reason preventing a small business from buying (much cheaper) OEM software? It looks like Maya, Photoshop, etc can all be had for substantially reduced prices, and I don't especially care about them not including support contracts - we just need to be operating above-board, in terms of software licenses in-house.
OEM licenses require, at minimum, buying it for a newly-assembled machine, and at maximum require that machine be assembled for resale.

That's assuming they're legit: Generally the only versions that have legit OEM licenses are low-end variants like Photoshop Elements, the "OEM" versions you typically find are usually counterfeit pirated copies (often using educational or site license keys).

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Any of the Zynga folks care to talk to someone about moving from console/AAA stuff to web/facebook/mobile? I've got a friend etc etc.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Have been offered another chance to apply for Crytek. Don't want to leave my girlfriend but this is my dream studio. I'm so conflicted. :smith:

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Crytek UK? Are they any good post take-over? All I heard coming from the last few years of Free Radical were horror stories.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Have been offered another chance to apply for Crytek. Don't want to leave my girlfriend but this is my dream studio. I'm so conflicted. :smith:

If it's for a programming stint, turn the other way, and run as fast as you can.

vvvvvv

Yeah, I looked at his post history and saw a bit of QA, some mentions of modeling and community as well so I wasn't sure. :v:

Jan fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 16, 2012

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

Formal offer probably won't be done until tomorrow, but the agency tells me that I have got the Build Engineer job with Ubisoft Reflections. Really looking forward to it, everything clicked and Newcastle is great, I just need to drive a heavily-burdened, decade-old Corsa up there.

Weeeee!
Well done! Glad you found something, even if it did take a while :)

Jan posted:

If it's for a programming stint, turn the other way, and run as fast as you can.
I believe he's a community guy.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Yeah it's for a CM position heading up Warface.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

BizarroAzrael posted:

Newcastle is great

Whey aye man. :geno:

Seriously though good luck bro. :)

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Sigma-X posted:

Any of the Zynga folks care to talk to someone about moving from console/AAA stuff to web/facebook/mobile? I've got a friend etc etc.

Go ahead and shoot me a PM.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Jan posted:

I'm curious as to why you say this?

Full disclosure: I've been a programmer at Crytek UK for a little over a year now.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Pretty sure that's talking about work visas, if you're native or have the work visa I think that means you're eligible.

Thanks, I guess that makes me not eligible.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

baldurk posted:

I'm curious as to why you say this?

Full disclosure: I've been a programmer at Crytek UK for a little over a year now.

I've had the misfortune of having to look at the physics code, I think I'll be scarred for life.

Overall, it wasn't a bad engine to work with, but the physics module alone terrifies me to this day. But it's probably unfair to lambast the whole engine for this one module.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Jan posted:

Overall, it wasn't a bad engine to work with, but the physics module alone terrifies me to this day. But it's probably unfair to lambast the whole engine for this one module.
This is pretty much a universal. Physics code is almost always an unreadable disaster because like 20% of it is hacks and special-case handling to keep the countless ways things can go wrong under control.

God help you when your net code says an object is now overlapping something and your physics code thinks that means it should eject it into the stratosphere.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

It wasn't hacky, it was more like a mathematician improvised himself programmer by following this as gospel. There were so many conditionals which had 2-3 side effects, cryptic one-letter variables and, of course, absolutely no comments through it all. I'm really not trying to be dramatic when I say it was traumatizing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
x

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 18, 2017

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Waterbed posted:

So should I run for the hills if I sent in a job application and not 10 minutes later I receive an on-site interview offer?

I suppose it could be due to the fact that there's unlikely to be a lot of qualified people for the job already living in the area. Still kind of threw me off.

I'd be somewhat wary about it personally, but there is no harm following through, it's not like declining their offer gracefully hurts you in any way.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Oh god you saw the physics code, you poor bastard. You have my sympathies. If it's any consolation the rest of the engine, while crufty, isn't anywhere near that unreadable.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jan posted:

It wasn't hacky, it was more like a mathematician improvised himself programmer by following this as gospel. There were so many conditionals which had 2-3 side effects, cryptic one-letter variables and, of course, absolutely no comments through it all. I'm really not trying to be dramatic when I say it was traumatizing.

The proper way of saying that is, "It's more like a Physicist programmed it."

Commander Hen
Jan 7, 2012

Waterbed posted:

So should I run for the hills if I sent in a job application and not 10 minutes later I receive an on-site interview offer?

I suppose it could be due to the fact that there's unlikely to be a lot of qualified people for the job already living in the area. Still kind of threw me off.

It doesn't mean it's a bad thing if you yourself know that you're a top of the line candidate for the position. I'd be a lot more worried if you were fresh out of school.

Commander Hen fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 16, 2012

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Jan posted:

There were so many conditionals which had 2-3 side effects, cryptic one-letter variables and, of course, absolutely no comments through it all. I'm really not trying to be dramatic when I say it was traumatizing.

In other words, it's an accurate reproduction of real-life physics.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Take it, dude. It's not like you'd never see your girl again, and the game looks somewhat promising...though I'm still placing my bets on Tribes over Planetside and Warface. Nothing like going 300 sanics.

Jizzle Drizzle
Feb 7, 2005

SKIBI DOO BOP I’M DA SCAT MAN
So I just finished a phone interview for an SDET position at Microsoft Games. It looks like they're going to want to fly me out there for an in person interview. Anybody have any tips for how not to screw it up?

I'm a recent CS grad, and have made lots of games for my classes, but never did any internships, so I don't know a whole lot about professional development.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Finally announced one of the projects I've been working on. Should look good on my resume! http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/square-enix-inc-and-mastiff-games-invite-players-to-experience-the-great-outdoors-137470788.html

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Alterian posted:

Finally announced one of the projects I've been working on. Should look good on my resume! http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/square-enix-inc-and-mastiff-games-invite-players-to-experience-the-great-outdoors-137470788.html

Awesome! My friend just started work as the Square/Enix EU CM.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Argh! Does anyone else use Basecamp for work? The downtime on the writeboards lately is driving me craaaazy.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
Got a new job (my first gamdev related) as a programmer at Ironhide Games. I'm starting on the 6th of Febraury.
I live in Uruguay so it's not like there're many companies around and this is by far my favourite of all.
:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

HolaMundo posted:

Got a new job (my first gamdev related) as a programmer at Ironhide Games. I'm starting on the 6th of Febraury.
I live in Uruguay so it's not like there're many companies around and this is by far my favourite of all.
:)

This is epically awesome. We in the US like to complain about "wah jobs" but you guys abroad have it so much more incredibly challenging to find a gig. You should be fuckin' proud (which I'm sure you are). Congrats!