Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mr. Deathy posted:

I think we can safely assume the rear end rape wont be in the movie at least!

I figure they would probably just do it similar to the TV series (I mean, really, his life is hosed up enough anyway without the rape), but to remove everything would be a really strange move.

How else could it start? With Basuzo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If they don't show the past, Gutts will look like random mercenary rear end in a top hat #14.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Ulio posted:

If they don't show the past, Gutts will look like random mercenary rear end in a top hat #14.

That's pretty much who Guts is for the entirety of the Golden Age though, rape victim or no.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Mr. Deathy posted:

I do hope we can see that iconic scene of Guts forcing himself up the stairs animated someday.

Exactly. Honestly, for how early it is, that's probably one of the best moments in all of Berserk; on a surface level, it's :black101: as all loving hell, especially since you learn right after that the pain of getting that close to one of the Godhand should have killed Guts outright, but on a deeper level, it says so much about Guts and Griffith's characterization without actually stating a whole lot.

Plus, it's just a really well-constructed scene visually. If I had to sell someone on Berserk, using just one scene, I'd use that one in a heartbeat.

e: Also, that scene gave us this fanart. I don't care if it's been posted already, it's awesome. :colbert:

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 31, 2011

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

LordMune posted:

That's pretty much who Guts is for the entirety of the Golden Age though, rape victim or no.

I think he might have been a different person, not an rear end in a top hat, had he not been sold by his father figure to a child molester. Maybe.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

WickedIcon posted:

Exactly. Honestly, for how early it is, that's probably one of the best moments in all of Berserk; on a surface level, it's :black101: as all loving hell, especially since you learn right after that the pain of getting that close to one of the Godhand should have killed Guts outright, but on a deeper level, it says so much about Guts and Griffith's characterization without actually stating a whole lot.

Plus, it's just a really well-constructed scene visually. If I had to sell someone on Berserk, using just one scene, I'd use that one in a heartbeat.

e: Also, that scene gave us this fanart. I don't care if it's been posted already, it's awesome. :colbert:

Goddammit, I already posted it a few pages back! :argh:

And even that was already a repost.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
I'm just nearing the fifth volume. It's obvious a lot of time is put into the art as the quality increases drastically over just one volume to the next. I saw a few scans from the later issues and it seems a hell of a lot more light hearted (by this I mean less of the extreme violence and gore). Am I wrong on this? Also, does the quality of Berserks story drop as each issue carries on or does it continue to be as solid as where the anime leaves off?

Edit: It's poo poo like this that blows my mind. To have the patience to draw numerous panels to the extent of this detail is insane:

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 12, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

xzoto1 posted:

Am I wrong on this? Also, does the quality of Berserks story drop as each issue carries on or does it continue to be as solid as where the anime leaves off?

I definitely wouldn't call it a consistent decline, but overall we've been in really dull territory that barely impacts the plot as you know it for a long, long time.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I definitely wouldn't call it a consistent decline, but overall we've been in really dull territory that barely impacts the plot as you know it for a long, long time.

I saw a panel that had a little mage like character which looked like something straight out of Final Fantasy. I'm hoping the harrowing atmosphere continues the way it is but I have a feeling it won't.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would say that yes the atmosphere has changed, but it is still overall quite great. The problem is the pacing is completely whacked, due mostly to the release schedule.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

xzoto1 posted:

I saw a panel that had a little mage like character which looked like something straight out of Final Fantasy. I'm hoping the harrowing atmosphere continues the way it is but I have a feeling it won't.
I assume this is Schierke. Guts gradually gathers new companions who will inevitably die horribly I'm sure.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor

Daler Mehndi posted:

I assume this is Schierke. Guts gradually gathers new companions who will inevitably die horribly I'm sure.

I love Berserk but Miura wouldn't have the balls to kill off non backstory companions.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

[opinion conveyed as fact]

Personally, I think the new approach is cool as hell, particularly from a narrative standpoint. It beats it staying literally the same for eternity for no good reason. The narrative expands in new directions which is interesting as hell to me!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Zorak posted:

Personally, I think the new approach is cool as hell, particularly from a narrative standpoint. It beats it staying literally the same for eternity for no good reason. The narrative expands in new directions which is interesting as hell to me!
"This", as they say. Berserk has changed in some very interesting (and in a few cases quite bold) ways. The most readily-available example; how often do you see an action hero transform a rampaging murder-beast and actually having to deal with it rather than just having it treated as an available power-up? We may not all agree with some of Miura's decisions, but his writing shows a surprising amount of artistic integrity (for a seinen manga author, at any rate).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I didn't like all the time on the ship, or even Griffith's battle against a mountain. The current arc is great.

Guts is someone who needs a supporting cast. It is true that he is very much a destroyer, but that isn't all there is to his character. The very start of the manga was Guts at his worst, and he has come a long way since then.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zewle posted:

I love Berserk but Miura wouldn't have the balls to kill off non backstory companions.

Yeah, that's what he wants you to think. I'm expecting this to be Band of the Hawk 2.0 when it's all over.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

With your avatar and your post I'm now getting mad GRRM vibes.

I guess it doesn't help that I love this series and ASOIF the same, and can see similarities in the sense of "everyone's hosed" theme they have going on.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think one of the reasons for this is that there's less Griffith now. Then again, I read him as the main character of the Golden Age arc...

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

House Louse posted:

I think one of the reasons for this is that there's less Griffith now. Then again, I read him as the main character of the Golden Age arc...

I think I might have said this before but Griffith is the antagonist Sasuke wishes he could be. He's a compelling character who, while he was mortal, was very capable but still very human.

We joke about "oh no another double spread of glorious Griffith" but Griffith and his interactions with Guts really are the most interesting part of the story and the driving force behind it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I honestly think part of the problem since his return is that Griffith hasn't been much of a character at all. He's a force of nature, which fits with the story, but doesn't make him particularly interesting much less compel you to give a poo poo about him. The only interesting thing he's done since his advent to the mortal plane was give that sideways glance at Guts and Caska as he flew off.

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I honestly think part of the problem since his return is that Griffith hasn't been much of a character at all. He's a force of nature, which fits with the story, but doesn't make him particularly interesting much less compel you to give a poo poo about him. The only interesting thing he's done since his advent to the mortal plane was give that sideways glance at Guts and Caska as he flew off.

Yeah you're right, I guess I was talking more Golden Era since "Griffith" pretty much died at the end of it. He's still very important but not so much as a character, more as a focus for Guts now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zorak posted:

I thought "I wouldn't call it" plus the content itself signaled an opinion coming up, but okay, I'll throw some more "I think"'s in there in the future.

Zorak posted:

Expanding in new directions is great when you actually progress and explore those directions. "Guts is losing his humanity to the armor" has been a thing for over a year. The new adventuring party is great, but the only character being developed is Isidro, and the others are barely even being used except for Schierke being a convenient platform for exposition re: the rules of magic.

Meanwhile Caska's still a mental infant, the antagonists for the past 6+ months are still comic relief, and it's 2012 and we're still not on Elf Island.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Expanding in new directions is great when you actually progress and explore those directions. "Guts is losing his humanity to the armor" has been a thing for over a year. The new adventuring party is great, but the only character being developed is Isidro, and the others are barely even being used except for Schierke being a convenient platform for exposition re: the rules of magic.

Meanwhile Caska's still a mental infant, the antagonists for the past 6+ months are still comic relief, and it's 2012 and we're still not on Elf Island.

yes and if you had been reading the Golden Age arc as it was being written it'd seem like it was going rather slow too :ssh:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zorak posted:

yes and if you had been reading the Golden Age arc as it was being written it'd seem like it was going rather slow too :ssh:

That doesn't account for it completely, and even if it did "well the story will be great when you read it straight through a decade from now" would still be a pretty substantial negative.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That doesn't account for it completely, and even if it did "well the story will be great when you read it straight through a decade from now" would still be a pretty substantial negative.

I'd say that it does. The Kushan part seemed to drag on forever while it was being released but after rereading those parts don't seem nearly as long.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah I think the fact is that almost no one in here has been reading it as its released from the beginning.

Because of that, the earlier stuff will always seem faster paced. Since this is such a long running / slow released thing it's always going to feel a bit different to everyone.

I like the way the story is going now, but I do agree I wish it would get back to the core storyline soon and have Gats be more :black101:.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

With your avatar and your post I'm now getting mad GRRM vibes.

I guess it doesn't help that I love this series and ASOIF the same, and can see similarities in the sense of "everyone's hosed" theme they have going on.

I got into ASOIAF BECAUSE it felt so much like Berserk - i definitely agree with you, and it's also why I'm so pessimistic about fates.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xzoto1 posted:

My honest, down-to-earth opinion? Berserk is still by far the best manga I've ever read. The atmosphere changes a bit, but it continues to be awesome.

The only other mangas I read are Claymore and Advance of the Giants, both incredibly grim too. I'm a fan of dark fantasy, but I still get that feeling that Berserk is one step above everything else.

Of course this is mitigated by the fact it gets released far less than it should.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 13, 2012

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

More scenes from the movie, including Zodd's first transformation when he gets hit by Guts:

Charlotte
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAS44bcn05Y

Rickert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0r-iTgxhcg

Zodd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QToPJ0hhRFg

Judo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X1yiVvdyTs

Apparently, Gambino and Donovan will be in the film, but will be handled in a quick flashback not unlike the anime.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That Zodd scene is totally badass.

As for the manga, I'm pissed we haven't gotten more chapters yet of course. But one volume a year is alright as long as the artwork and story stays great and the manga actually finishes in another 10 or 15 years. I can wait, and the movies will help with that.

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost
You know, as much as a Berserk fanboy as I am, all this 3D rendered stuff in the new OVA isn't really doing it for me. It wouldn't bug me that much if it wasn't so obvious. The camera movements are so painfully splines, and there are occasions when the perspective shifts just look horribly off. Hopefully this will be the exception to the rule, but I'm a bit worried.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I don't know, that Zodd scene looks pretty loving good. Kind of hoping I'll have the chance to see it on the big screen over here. (though I really doubt it)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

RipVTide posted:

You know, as much as a Berserk fanboy as I am, all this 3D rendered stuff in the new OVA isn't really doing it for me. It wouldn't bug me that much if it wasn't so obvious. The camera movements are so painfully splines, and there are occasions when the perspective shifts just look horribly off. Hopefully this will be the exception to the rule, but I'm a bit worried.

What are splines? Is that a method of 3D camera movement?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Ccs posted:

What are splines? Is that a method of 3D camera movement?

A spline is basically a pipe cleaner that can be bent in whatever way you see fit when you add more vector points to it. In 3D modeling/etc. it never renders. Common uses are extruding along a weird path to make something specific quickly or to create a path for something to move along.

I skipped this round of vids, but a general lazy trick in 3D animation is to have the camera path constantly at a fixed speed regardless of the terrain. It's like you had an idea, laid out the groundwork, and then walked away thinking you didn't need to polish anything.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So it's like a motion guide for the camera to move along? And your criticism is that the camera is always moving in these scenes, instead of the camera staying at a fixed position because the team worked out what the layout should be before hand? I'm just trying to translate what you're saying into terms I can understand.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ccs posted:

So it's like a motion guide for the camera to move along? And your criticism is that the camera is always moving in these scenes, instead of the camera staying at a fixed position because the team worked out what the layout should be before hand? I'm just trying to translate what you're saying into terms I can understand.

He's saying that the camera movement is artificial, fake and boring. You know how when you watch Battlestar Galactica, the camera is always shaking or moving irregularly or zooming in during the CG scenes as if it was recording a documentary? That's because they intentionally trying to make the camera move in a way that resembled how a person would use it.

On the other hand if you just toss a camera on a spline it looks unnatural. Like an uncanny valley of camera movement. Because no camera moves like that in the real world - even if you attach a camera to some machine designed to move perfectly, there will be imperfections in the movement which your eye will be able to capture, whether you know it or not.

Personally I don't care much about it for 2D animation, but it can be obnoxious when you're watching a 3D animation rendered in 60 FPS moving smoothly like silk, specially if it's clashing against 12/24/30 FPS animated characters.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Uh, well...holy gently caress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHDVGT2AD5Y

Kind of a faux music video for one of the movie's theme songs with a good amount of new footage from the Bazuso fight and the ambush on Guts.

Normally I'm plugging my ears when J-pop style stuff kicks on, but I genuinely like that song and feel it fits the film instead of some hyperactive bullshit, and jesus god drat the animation just looks better and better (some awkward CG here and there notwithstanding).

Oh and we have another fandom meltdown. This time? An advertisement. Not even anything from the movie itself. :suicide:

quote:

Franchising opportunities. This, my friends, is more depressing than if Miura announced a five year break. This is the lowest point in the history of Berserk. Guts and Griffith munching on snacks. For cash. On the fields of Naboo.

quote:

As Bill Hicks famously said, "By the way, if anyone here is in advertising, or marketing: kill yourself." That poster makes me ill.

quote:

I wonder if Miura knows about these ads, and if he does, how does he feel about them?

quote:

Wouldn't they need Mr. Miuras consent in order to make them ?

:qq: my animes needs monies to pay its production staff and they engage in odd\silly advertising why wont anyone think of glorious miura-san :qq:

I mean it really is a strange ad to have, given the content of the movie series in general, but god drat, is it really that terrible? I need to start blocking Skullknight's forums out of my brain, I can't even look at it and laugh anymore.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

That poster is the greatest thing, I love it. :haw:

Really hating the way all the generic NPCs look in that Bazuso fight though- because that's what they look like, generic NPCs in a decade-old video game. Hopefully we won't see them up close much. I'll be honest, the more I see of the CG the less I'm feelin' it. And this coming from a guy who thinks the in-engine cutscenes in the Berserk PS2 game are as close to adaptation-perfection as we're going to get. Hopefully Studio 4C will pull through somehow; maybe it will all make visual sense when we see the full film.

Also, a new chapter of that ol' manga on the 27th. Something to look forward to.

EDIT: "Guts enjoys a burg" might be my new favorite bit of the Berserk canon.

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Easy breezy beautiful colored world I'm in love with you
R-O-Y-G-B-I-V your colors are a comedy
I started reading this series about 2 months ago and it seemed to flow really well all the way through. The last couple updates I got to read felt a lot slower but I'm sure that's just because they aren't released often and Miura likes to take his time with introducing things and telling a story, which if you don't have to wait so long, is actually pretty great. It's gotten a little lighter but I'm sure that's just Miura telling a different part of the story and not a complete and decisive change. I would be surprised if we don't have a horrific or heart wrenching murder/rape scene and the sort of awe inspiring, massive battles we got before. I haven't watched much of the anime and I got most of the volumes so I can re-read or watch stuff in a year or so when I can't remember a lot of it. I hope the OVA is good, I don't care if they use it for advertising so long as they make them and they're good.

e: Speaking of advertising, I've hard that there's a Berserk artbook and I'd like to get one if anyone knows where I could buy a copy or other Berserk related stuff.

Bo Berry fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I shall join the choir or nerdy angst towards the advertisement. But only because it looks like Ren Faire after-hours. On a more important note, I can't even tell what they're advertising. Sure, it's food, but whoever designed the poster made any specifics so unobtrusive that as far as I can tell they're simply promoting fast food as the choice of mercenaries.