Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

zenintrude posted:

Don't look now, but Solid Snake may be creeping up to break your neck.

As it happens, the "Surprised Guard" noise is my text message alert...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

As it happens, the "Surprised Guard" noise is my text message alert...
How terribly original.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Is the galaxy nexus much better than the galaxy s2? I don't really care about NFC stuff, are there any advantages to waiting for it?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Is the galaxy nexus much better than the galaxy s2? I don't really care about NFC stuff, are there any advantages to waiting for it?

Better screen, guaranteed updates for longer, no touchwiz bullshit, IMO a much better phone and worth waiting for.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SeaborneClink posted:

Yes I know, my point being AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon all have the ability to add someone as an authorized user, officially notated in a specific place on the account, whereas Sprint does not and only uses a 6 digit PIN or secret question/answer challenge to authenticate the account.

Well, we do use best judgement. If you know the password, have a phone that's on the account and a valid ID, that usually is pretty accurate. It absolutely has the potential to get abused, but overall there are rules in place.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you don't live in a WiMAX area (or get unusable WiMAX signal), wait for the Galaxy Nexus.

In the end, you'll still only have a phone that works for 3G (until LTE is deployed), but the Nexus will be Verizon's twin and the flagship US phone for google. Updates will be fast and there shouldn't be any waiting around (as there is currently with the Nexus S) for a specific build for them since there won't be a legacy WiMAX radio in there.

If you do live in a WiMAX area, I would probably just find a used phone. I can't see where it's worth using a subsidy on any WiMAX phone now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

If you don't live in a WiMAX area (or get unusable WiMAX signal), wait for the Galaxy Nexus.

In the end, you'll still only have a phone that works for 3G (until LTE is deployed), but the Nexus will be Verizon's twin and the flagship US phone for google. Updates will be fast and there shouldn't be any waiting around (as there is currently with the Nexus S) for a specific build for them since there won't be a legacy WiMAX radio in there.

If you do live in a WiMAX area, I would probably just find a used phone. I can't see where it's worth using a subsidy on any WiMAX phone now.

Basically, when the LTE Galaxy Nexus on Verizon gets it's upgrade to Jelly Bean or whatever they call it, the Sprint LTE Galaxy Nexus will get it at or around the same time?

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Is there a release date for it? My original Nexus has quite a bit of wear and tear at this point and I'm considering smashing it beneath my shoe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Basically, when the LTE Galaxy Nexus on Verizon gets it's upgrade to Jelly Bean or whatever they call it, the Sprint LTE Galaxy Nexus will get it at or around the same time?

I would assume so. Aside from the LTE bands, the phones should be drat near exact replicas of each other.

Honestly, if samsung was smart, they would figure out a way to get the thing to work on LTE with both 700mhz and 1900mhz so they can pull an iPhone with this thing and make one model for both carriers.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I need some advice about upgrading to a 64GB iPhone 4S.

I currently have an Evo 4g, and it is falling apart. The battery cover falls off, and in general I'm just tired of the thing.

I'm not eligible for an upgrade for another 80 days.

I'm considering porting my # over to AT&T or Verizon, and just paying the $100 ETF and then $399 for the iPhone as that will be cheaper than paying Sprint $900 to upgrade a few months early.

The only downside to that is that I get 25% off my plan with Sprint.

If I called Sprint, do you think they might bump up my upgrade date, or is that set in stone? If it matters, I've had Sprint since 2005.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CombatMedic posted:

I need some advice about upgrading to a 64GB iPhone 4S.

I currently have an Evo 4g, and it is falling apart. The battery cover falls off, and in general I'm just tired of the thing.

I'm not eligible for an upgrade for another 80 days.

I'm considering porting my # over to AT&T or Verizon, and just paying the $100 ETF and then $399 for the iPhone as that will be cheaper than paying Sprint $900 to upgrade a few months early.

The only downside to that is that I get 25% off my plan with Sprint.

If I called Sprint, do you think they might bump up my upgrade date, or is that set in stone? If it matters, I've had Sprint since 2005.

Call retentions from the op and ask, they likely will do it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

big mean giraffe posted:

Better screen

This is certainly up for debate... GNex has a higher resolution, but the E4GT's Super AMOLED Plus is very nice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zenintrude posted:

This is certainly up for debate... GNex has a higher resolution, but the E4GT's Super AMOLED Plus is very nice.

I see it as a moot point. Software > Hardware when its that close.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
The Nexus Prime has a Pentile screen. It never bothered me on my Epic, but it drove more sensitive people into transports of nerd rage.

Edit:
Sorry, you meant the Galaxy Nexus. Nvm.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Kynetx posted:

The Nexus Prime has a Pentile screen. It never bothered me on my Epic, but it drove more sensitive people into transports of nerd rage.

Edit:
Sorry, you meant the Galaxy Nexus. Nvm.

GNex is pentile as well... Pentile looks odd, still looks odd at 720p

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
The WVGA pentile display of the Galaxy S bothered me so much I couldn't look at it for more than a few seconds without getting upset about it. The qHD pentile display of the Photon bothered me slightly less, but enough that I wouldn't want to use it. The 720p pentile display of the Galaxy Nexus is much less noticeable than either, but I still see it and it still annoys me. It's a shame because if it was a Super AMOLED Plus, it would be so much better. Then again, some people aren't bothered by pentile displays at all, oh well.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

zenintrude posted:

It's nice but the screen on the Galaxy Nexus is godly. It's even more amazing in person. The resolution is way too high to notice the pentile layout.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The screen on the Galaxy Nexus is one of the best phone screens I've seen in a while. I don't even notice the pentile.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

The screen on the Galaxy Nexus is one of the best phone screens I've seen in a while. I don't even notice the pentile.

This is good to hear. Aside from it still having Samsung innards (albeit to Google specifications and their god damned hands are nowhere near the software) the Pentile screen was my last reservation. I had an Epic and it (the Pentile screen) bugged me a bit, but paled in comparison to that phone's numerous other failings. Knowing the boosted resolution really removes the "looking through a window screen" effect is elating.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How terribly original.

As long as I'm the only one in my group of friends that has it, I'm the most clever guy in the world. (In my mind)

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

big mean giraffe posted:

It's nice but the screen on the Galaxy Nexus is godly. It's even more amazing in person. The resolution is way too high to notice the pentile layout.

I can see it, especially when it comes to text or any large area of a solid color. Like I said before, it's not as bad as with older lower resolution screens, but it's there and I can see it easily. I don't have super eyesight either so I dunno.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I had been so out of the smartphone loop that I honestly had never heard the term "pentile" before a few days ago.

That said, when I was looking at phones in December the Nexus S and Photon definitely looked off to me... I couldn't put my finger on it, but everything looked grainy. And when I saw a friend's GNex, I felt the same way... especially when looking at anything white, things just look dimmer and less solid (for lack of a batter term)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How terribly original.
Original? Who cares about ringtones and alerts being original? Did you also provide us with the thread title?

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

SeaborneClink posted:

Yes I know, my point being AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon all have the ability to add someone as an authorized user, officially notated in a specific place on the account, whereas Sprint does not and only uses a 6 digit PIN or secret question/answer challenge to authenticate the account.

Technically they do have an authorized user lists, 3 ish of them. Sadly you have to be IN the acct to see that. The pin and SQ are standard but another, completely terrifying option exists called an authentication tool.

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005
My phone (Evo 3D) won't receive calls when roaming. I can make calls, send texts, and data works fine, but I can't receive any calls at all. I have google voice integration if that makes a difference- the calls don't come into google voice either. Anyone have any ideas?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
As of tonight I'm officially a sprint customer again, yay me or something.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

e.pie posted:

As of tonight I'm officially a sprint customer again, yay me or something.

Haha what? What's the backstory? I wouldn't mind going back to Sprint for their unlimited data, but I've got a bill to hefty bill to pay them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[quote="Lblitzer"]
Haha what? What's the backstory? I wouldn't mind going back to Sprint for their unlimited data, but I've got a bill to hefty bill to pay them.
[/quote

Just FYI after 4 years sprint will let people jump back on even if you haven't paid off the last bill.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Lblitzer posted:

Grew tired of AT&T and their bullshit, and their absolutely awful coverage in my area.

So far Sprint's data speeds are about half of what I was getting with AT&T, but the coverage is MUCH better.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Duckman2008 posted:

[quote="Lblitzer"]
[/quote

Just FYI after 4 years sprint will let people jump back on even if you haven't paid off the last bill.

been about 7 years since I was with them, I had to create a new account :(

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I have a question, I had a Samsung Exclaim (old piece of poo poo phone) and I was paying $69.99 a month (though since I had (and still have) the insurance thing it was more like $77). I decided I wanted a phone that wasn't terrible, so I went and got myself a Galaxy S2 (yeah I know, I love it though) and the Sprint rep told me that my monthly bill was only going to go up $10 for the Smartphone fee, which I was alright with. a $87/mo bill for a much better phone was alright with me.

So I just got my first bill and it was something retarded like $127. That made me panic, but after some looking around on their site online I noticed the $36 activation fee. If that's just a one time fee, I don't really mind, but even discounting that I noticed that I have a whole bunch of crazy taxes on my phone bill now, and it's still going to be like $92 a month or so. Are those taxes one time after upgrading, or will I be getting them from now on? Before I upgraded my service and renewed my contract (I have no real reason to leave Sprint) I never had any extra taxes like that at all that I can remember.

Also, this is my first Smartphone so I'm kind of stupid about it, but why would I suddenly have that spending limits $5 a month thing on my account now, even if I never had that before with the Exclaim and I've unfailingly paid my bill on time going on three years now? I thought it was just for those with a poor credit history or something but I guess that's incorrect?

How do I turn on autobill pay, do I need to go to the Sprint store and get that taken care of there or can I do it online?

edit: Also, I can't seem to log onto sprint.com at all. Is there something wrong with me, or the site?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If you buy out your contract to do an upgrade, can you keep your old number?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you buy out your contract to do an upgrade, can you keep your old number?

Yes of course, you're literally buying out the contract so that you aren't under contract anymore. you pay the $xyz and your contract end date is $today

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
If I buy a used phone, activate it, and have TEP on my account, will they cover defects on the phone and will I get charged the $100 deductible? I don't mean screen cracks or damage, but stuff like radio failure or charging issues.

Also, I'm debating between an EVO 3d or a nexus S. My two biggest wants are stability(either stock or on a rom) and signal strength.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Yes of course, you're literally buying out the contract so that you aren't under contract anymore. you pay the $xyz and your contract end date is $today

Oohhh, awesome. Thanks!

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

WardeL posted:

So I have a question, I had a Samsung Exclaim (old piece of poo poo phone) and I was paying $69.99 a month (though since I had (and still have) the insurance thing it was more like $77). I decided I wanted a phone that wasn't terrible, so I went and got myself a Galaxy S2 (yeah I know, I love it though) and the Sprint rep told me that my monthly bill was only going to go up $10 for the Smartphone fee, which I was alright with. a $87/mo bill for a much better phone was alright with me.

So I just got my first bill and it was something retarded like $127. That made me panic, but after some looking around on their site online I noticed the $36 activation fee. If that's just a one time fee, I don't really mind, but even discounting that I noticed that I have a whole bunch of crazy taxes on my phone bill now, and it's still going to be like $92 a month or so. Are those taxes one time after upgrading, or will I be getting them from now on? Before I upgraded my service and renewed my contract (I have no real reason to leave Sprint) I never had any extra taxes like that at all that I can remember.

Also, this is my first Smartphone so I'm kind of stupid about it, but why would I suddenly have that spending limits $5 a month thing on my account now, even if I never had that before with the Exclaim and I've unfailingly paid my bill on time going on three years now? I thought it was just for those with a poor credit history or something but I guess that's incorrect?

How do I turn on autobill pay, do I need to go to the Sprint store and get that taken care of there or can I do it online?

edit: Also, I can't seem to log onto sprint.com at all. Is there something wrong with me, or the site?

Without seeing the bill its a little tricky to check out the taxes/surcharges but in general they will go down slightly next month as the activation fee has taxes on it. The 10.00 prem data charge is also going to have taxes associated with it so in general your taxes should be a bit higher than they were pre smart phone but not as high as you have them now if that makes sense.

The 5.00 ASL charge is a little harder to figure out. If it wasn't on your bill before this months statement im not sure what to tell you. In general there isn't an easy way to escalate to remove that. I'm not saying you cant but it wouldn't be easy. To turn on auto pay, online is the best possible way to do it for everyone involved. You can also call in to care to have them send you out a form to enroll but that's about it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

oxbrain posted:

If I buy a used phone, activate it, and have TEP on my account, will they cover defects on the phone and will I get charged the $100 deductible? I don't mean screen cracks or damage, but stuff like radio failure or charging issues.

Also, I'm debating between an EVO 3d or a nexus S. My two biggest wants are stability(either stock or on a rom) and signal strength.

I have purchased a used phone a couple of times (Mogul being one), and TEP worked just like it would if a purchased the phone new. That said it was 3 or 4 phones ago since I done that. I even used TEP to switch my Mogul for the TouchPro.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

oxbrain posted:

Tep will cover your device, but if its over a year old then the mfg warranty is gone so you would be limited by what the in store tech can do. If they cant fix the device then yes they will reference you to asurion and it would be a 100.00 deductible. If a service and repair tech is around reading this they would be better able to clarify that information though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Really? How does that work? When I say hefty I mean hefty. I think they charged me an extra $300 even though service had been disconnected and I was unemployed at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lblitzer posted:

Really? How does that work? When I say hefty I mean hefty. I think they charged me an extra $300 even though service had been disconnected and I was unemployed at the time.

e.pie posted:

been about 7 years since I was with them, I had to create a new account :(

Pretty straight forward policy, the bill you owe does stay with collections (so if you don't pay it it stays on your credit). Once you leave Sprint you can never get your old account back, which is why they had you create a new account. The point is they will LET you create a new account even if you are an irresponsible free loading goon who never pays bills :)

And for the record, if something like that is affecting credit you are likely to have a $50-100 deposit to sign back up as well.

WardeL posted:

You are a better man than me if you dealt with that POS Exclaim for that long. Makes the Moment look usable.

Keep in mind taxes are applied to both the $36 upgrade fee (bought $4 there) and the extra $10 a month as someone already mentioned. Fyi the $10 would also have prorations, so usually its more like $15 for the first month to back date from the date you bought it. Honestly, I'm willing to bet that you had a spending limit, had it before and possibly just didn't notice the $5 spending limit fee. They started that back in Jan or Feb of 2010, and it would have hit your account even though it wasn't there when you signed up (at the time it voided a contract if you got pissed about it).

So basically, Sprint charges people with poor/no credit an extra $5 a month. It sucks, although on the flip side sprint's deposits are $0-100 in almost every situation. In your case you should call the credit department (I do not have their direct number, sorry) because after 12 months in a row of on time bill payment it should be removed from your account entirely. If you need me to check for you feel free to PM me your last name and cell #

For anyone with a spending limit (hint: if you are not approved for 5 lines you have one) going on autobill pay waives the fee.

Quick breakdown of your plan:
$69.99 a month base
+
$10 premium data
+
$8 insurance (its now $8)
=
$86.99 base, add in taxes of about 12% =

$96.99ish

Where are you working now? There is a good chance you qualify for a discount and just don't know it. Also, banking with a credit union or AAA gets you 10% off. And as a final note, it sounds like the dude you bought that phone from is an idiot who did not explain everything.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 13, 2012