Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drewski posted:

I'll take pictures for you when I get home from work 7-8 hours from now.

Thanks, I guess I am just more curious than anything, because I am sure I will buy the bag next time I am in the states, or even possibly have it shipped here. Maybe a few other goons would like to see it though.

Definitely appreciate it though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

It's 40 bucks, why not just get a tripod plate with a D ring?
Some people may not want to DIY and like having different straps? I use an R strap anyways, I happily used the R-1 til they gave me the female one to test, which is great for women by the way. It sits much better across the chest. I've tried the later R-straps but I actually don't like the pockets, they're bulky.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

Sevn posted:

Thanks, I guess I am just more curious than anything, because I am sure I will buy the bag next time I am in the states, or even possibly have it shipped here. Maybe a few other goons would like to see it though.

Definitely appreciate it though!

OK - I'm not a product photographer and these cell phone pics are really lovely. But. There are pockets on either side. The back side pocket does not offer nearly as much protection as the one underneath the top flap. But it does have a back side pocket! It's really just a simple pouch, without a zipper to protect it or anything. It wouldn't be good for holding much equipment of course, but perhaps a small folder with pictures in it or something.

Height of the bag with a ruler:

The contents of the bag - Left to right - kit lens, filters, XTi with 70-200 & lens hood. You can see that the front pouch is zippered. Also, the leather strap in the center has velcro and just connects right to the interior liner of the bag, just like all the removable and modular dividers.

Height of my XTi and 70-200 lens when placed vertically into the bag, with UV lens cover (also a good example of the protective flap):

example of the brass buckles and latches. They are both functional, not just there to look nice:

Any other angles you want me to take lovely pictures of? :D

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drewski posted:

OK - I'm not a product photographer and these cell phone pics are really lovely. But. There are pockets on either side. The back side pocket does not offer nearly as much protection as the one underneath the top flap. But it does have a back side pocket! It's really just a simple pouch, without a zipper to protect it or anything. It wouldn't be good for holding much equipment of course, but perhaps a small folder with pictures in it or something.

Height of the bag with a ruler:

The contents of the bag - Left to right - kit lens, filters, XTi with 70-200 & lens hood. You can see that the front pouch is zippered. Also, the leather strap in the center has velcro and just connects right to the interior liner of the bag, just like all the removable and modular dividers.

Height of my XTi and 70-200 lens when placed vertically into the bag, with UV lens cover (also a good example of the protective flap):

example of the brass buckles and latches. They are both functional, not just there to look nice:

Any other angles you want me to take lovely pictures of? :D

Perfect! Thanks very much :D

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.
Everytime I see that bag I want it, even though I have at least two other camera bags to choose from at any given time. It's just so nice looking

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Apparently Lowepro has updated their Fastpack series with the new DSLR Video range. I wish I'd know about these a few months back when I bought my Kata 3n1-33. I was looking for a small backpack with side camera access that had a tripod carrier as well as space for a macbook air all while being relatively small. The Fastpack 150 is EXACTLY that! Anyone interested in a barely used Kata 3n1-33 with tripod holder?!

Heres a preview I found: http://thedigitalstory.com/2011/09/sneak_peek_-_lowepro.html

I hope this is ok, I put my Kata 3n1-33 up for sale.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 11, 2011

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Picked up one of these over the weekend:

It's the Tamrac Expedition 3 and holy poo poo does it hold a lot of stuff for a small pack.

Here's what fits:
5dII with battery grip, 24-105L mounted
Nifty 50
100mmL Macro
Piece of poo poo 70-300
Sigma 15mm Fisheye
430EX Speedlite
Filters, batteries, cards, remote, squeegie, zig zags and card reader.

The camera fits rather snug with the battery grip on, but it fits.

I had this before:

It came with my Rebel XT and I've used it since but it didn't fit nearly half the stuff the Tamrac fits despite bing 1.5x bigger.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
Anyone have any experience with the Lowepro Versapack 200 AW? Just bought one off eBay based on almost every single review on the internet. I wanted to try it at a store but no stores carry it around here. Hope I like it!

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Im absolutely loving my Pelican 1510 case, purchased from B&H with free shipping :D

1510 by capacity4action, on Flickr

Fits my(with room to spare:
D7000 + 70-200 VR
Tokina 11-16
Nikon 17-55
35/1.8G
85/1.8D
2 SB-600s
Coco flash ring
Extra Batteries and chargers

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Can anyone recommend me something for a 5D mark II, 24-105 f//4, three smaller primes, a flash or two and a 13" MacBook Pro?

I like the look of the Domke F3 backpack, but it wouldn't fit the computer.

I'd prefer a backpack or a sling bag. I've looked through the offerings of all the well known brands and haven't found something I like.

Edit: the new Ona backpack just released today looks pretty much perfect, that price though...

Anmitzcuaca fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 27, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
So I recently picked up an APEX Military Series (lol) bag for about $100 for weekend trips, which appears to be a somewhat obscure Japanese brand. I went through just about every non-sling bag at Yodobashi Camera in Fukuoka before I narrowed the field down to that and an f/64 BPL, which cost twice as much, and I could find literally no information on outside of a few Japanese sites (JDM only? :iiam:) I think I'm going to have to pick up the BPL too though; it holds a shitload of camera gear, plus pretty good room for clothes/etc and even a full-sized laptop. I think if I didn't max out the camera compartment, I could probably pack it for a week of traveling. It does stick off your back a bit so would suck for getting through crowds, but I think it's worth the trade off. I'm going back to Fukuoka on Saturday and I think I'll pick it up, anyone interested in pictures/a review?

I also found two really cool bags there I'd get if I was looking for standalone solutions for my Hasselblad and NEX kits:

Hassie: Manfrotto Bella V

NEX: Lowepro Streamline 100 - I'm going to buy the gently caress out of this online and get it put in my next Package 'o Stuff from the USA (and save 40%), it's awesome for an NEX or m4/3 kit.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Japan bag stuff

You can find most of the common US bags on rakuten too, if you're curious.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Can anyone recommend me something for a 5D mark II, 24-105 f//4, three smaller primes, a flash or two and a 13" MacBook Pro?

I like the look of the Domke F3 backpack, but it wouldn't fit the computer.

I'd prefer a backpack or a sling bag. I've looked through the offerings of all the well known brands and haven't found something I like.

Edit: the new Ona backpack just released today looks pretty much perfect, that price though...
You can consider the ThinkTank STreetWalker series

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

tarepanda posted:

You can find most of the common US bags on rakuten too, if you're curious.

Yeah, everything seems to be online, although bags are one of the few things I really need to buy from a brick and mortar store. I'd just order the BPL on Amazon and save myself a whopping 500 yen over Yodobashi's price, but I'm planning to be in Fukuoka on Saturday anyways.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 27, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

NEX: Lowepro Streamline 100 - I'm going to buy the gently caress out of this online and get it put in my next Package 'o Stuff from the USA (and save 40%), it's awesome for an NEX or m4/3 kit.

That looks like it'd be perfect for my OM-1 and some film.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So I recently picked up an APEX Military Series (lol) bag for about $100 for weekend trips, which appears to be a somewhat obscure Japanese brand. I went through just about every non-sling bag at Yodobashi Camera in Fukuoka before I narrowed the field down to that and an f/64 BPL, which cost twice as much, and I could find literally no information on outside of a few Japanese sites (JDM only? :iiam:) I think I'm going to have to pick up the BPL too though; it holds a shitload of camera gear, plus pretty good room for clothes/etc and even a full-sized laptop. I think if I didn't max out the camera compartment, I could probably pack it for a week of traveling. It does stick off your back a bit so would suck for getting through crowds, but I think it's worth the trade off. I'm going back to Fukuoka on Saturday and I think I'll pick it up, anyone interested in pictures/a review?

I also found two really cool bags there I'd get if I was looking for standalone solutions for my Hasselblad and NEX kits:

Hassie: Manfrotto Bella V

That white bag is terrible looking. I guess if you are using a hasselblad, you are gonna stick out, but that white bag doesn't help in the least. Not to mention how dirty white things eventually become.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You may want to check out the Crumpler 3 or 4 Million for something like this. It's a bit more streamlined and low profile. I use one for my Rebel XTi with lens and maybe an extra lens depending on how big the lenses are.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I am going on a trip to cost rica and need to pack my D3000, 35mm prime and charger. Whats the most compact but durable bag I could get to protect my gear? Extra points if it doesn't look like a DSLR bag, but not a requirement.

Thanks!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Check out the domke stuff, they have good padding or look at the super cheap lowepro messenger. I have the lowepro, it was 20 bucks and it's a fine walkaround bag.

In other news, I told my wife I want a Kelly Moore bag for Christmas.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Elite Taco posted:

Check out the domke stuff, they have good padding or look at the super cheap lowepro messenger. I have the lowepro, it was 20 bucks and it's a fine walkaround bag.
This one?

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Exchange-Messenger,2189.htm

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007
The Domke 803 is nice and fairly compact but definitely much pricier than the Lowepro messenger. Awesome bag nonetheless, I love mine. :3:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lowepro = this bag contains an SLR. But you can take the tag off 8)

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 24, 2011

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
All of these suggested bags seem a little large for a DSLR with a prime lens attached. Any small ideas?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Like I mentioned before, check out the smaller Crumpler Million series bags. While the larger ones like the 7 Million are blimps on a strap, the smaller ones are great because they lie flat and hold your gear with a low profile.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Yup. I have it. It's great for a camera + lens + lunch.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

I have that bag and it's great. There isn't much padding except on the bottom. It's not too big for me with just one camera in it but I like to carry a bunch of stuff around.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
Does anybody use a belt strap? How is it? I'm looking at three different ones, the Capture Camera Clip, the RS-X, and the B-grip. I can get a second hand B-grip relatively affordably so I'm leaning towards it. I find the neck strap to be quite uncomfortable, with even a moderately light lens, and all of those seem better.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cockwhore posted:

Does anybody use a belt strap? How is it? I'm looking at three different ones, the Capture Camera Clip, the RS-X, and the B-grip. I can get a second hand B-grip relatively affordably so I'm leaning towards it. I find the neck strap to be quite uncomfortable, with even a moderately light lens, and all of those seem better.

I can't comment on the other straps, but I have an RS-5 and an RS-7 sitting next to me right now. I love the way the RS straps hold the camera at your hip. The RS-5 has a lot of pockets, which makes it a little too bulky for me to like much. The RS-7 is much thinner, but still comfortable. It is a lot more low profile, which is great for me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I got the Lowepro Sport Pack 200 as a birthday gift last month and took it out on a couple hikes over the last few weekends.

This is a hiking bag first and a camera bag second, to be sure. Plenty of space inside for a small first aid kit, small jacket/windbreaker, etc, and the main area does have a small zippered pocket for your spare batteries, lenspen, etc. Between the main section and your back, is a slim area meant to hold a Camelback bladder up to 70 oz, which is a nice touch. Side pocket for larger water bottles too. Straps for your hips are nice, although not very padded.

Camera section is in the lower 'half' of the bag, and it's not very large. It's pretty clear this was intended for your body, kit lens, and maybe an ultra-wide or prime. My 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 will fit, but only by itself and drat sure not with the hood on it. That had to go separately up in the main pocket, which I wasn't thrilled about. That said, I didn't find much of a need for the lens anyways, but I suppose that would vary based on what you want to shoot and where you're hiking. Any hotshoe flash would easily fit in there in place of the extra lens. While the capacity for camera gear isn't very large, it is well padded.

Access to the camera compartment is along your left-hand side (water bottle holder is on the right). It takes a little getting used to since the sling bag and my shoulder bags always are access off my right, but it's not bad.

The straps don't have a ton of padding but if you're hiking anyways you'd want to be light as it is. The back is well padded and has a good channel along your spine to keep you from sweating it up. There is an AW cover, but the bag itself seems perfectly fine in rain or snow. There are also straps underneath that could hold a smaller tripod, or rolled up sleeping pad.

All in all I like it. I have a Slingshot 202 if I wanted to carry more camera gear than hiking stuff, but to go get lost along a 10-15 mile trail with a light loadout, this does a really nice job. It's not an every day carry bag by any means, but it's not built for that purpose. I'll post some pictures of it when I can.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'm sick of having to deal with my non-camera backpack whenever I want to change cameras/change lenses/etc. Are there any good side-packs or whatever that let you access stuff easily, and could hold a water bottle, a Mamiya 645 with several lenses, and an OM-4Ti?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I'm looking for a small camera backpack that can take a Canon Rebel T2i with battery grip, a 70-200 f4L and a 1.4x Teleconverter. I think the battery grip is going to be the hardest one, as most of the backpacks I've seen are designed for non-gripped bodies. Obviously, the easiest way would be to go to a store, but there really isn't a big selection where I live. Anyone have any recommendations?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I'm looking for a small camera backpack that can take a Canon Rebel T2i with battery grip, a 70-200 f4L and a 1.4x Teleconverter. I think the battery grip is going to be the hardest one, as most of the backpacks I've seen are designed for non-gripped bodies. Obviously, the easiest way would be to go to a store, but there really isn't a big selection where I live. Anyone have any recommendations?

It's a slingbag, but my Lowepro Slingshot 202 will hold my gripped E-30 and E-5, although just barely.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

These are old posts, but...

Drewski posted:

My camera isn't gripped, but even if it was you could fit it in because the dividers are velcroed to the interior, so you can move them around as you desire.

This is not true. I have the Union Street and a 7D, and if it's gripped the only way it's going to fit is placed bottom down without a lens. It's still an amazing bag and having to add/remove the lens when you take it out isn't a huge deal for me, but if you want fast access to a lensed camera, get another bag.

nonanone posted:

For people who don't want to pay quite as much for the R-strap, there's this C-loop thing now, where you can attach a regular camera strap to a little rotating metal thing: http://www.customslr.com/products/c-loop/?utm_source=PetaPixel&utm_medium=125banner&utm_campaign=CLoop

Black Rapid has sold the little metal attachment by itself for $15 for over a year. I got that and an assault rifle strap for like $25 and it's functionally the same for nearly half the cost. The only thing it doesn't have is the little cross stabilizer strap, which I think is an extra charge anyway.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone have experience with the timbuk2 Snoop? I just got a t3i for Chirstmas and I only have the kit lens right now. The bag seems good since I can carry my macbook in it as well.

Lege
Oct 12, 2005

hurf im badass
I've been considering the purchase of a sling strap. Are my fears of the screw suddenly coming loose and causing the camera take a dive completely irrational? Give me therapy, goons

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I spent two weeks in Europe with my camera by my side on a Black Rapid strap. The strap mount never even came close to coming loose.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've had to run along sidelines and jump to avoid players crashing out of bounds while my camera was held just by my R-7, no issues. It's a great strap.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.
Agreed, my RS-7 has been rock solid, I wouldn't worry about it coming loose

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MAkev posted:

Agreed, my RS-7 has been rock solid, I wouldn't worry about it coming loose

Not necessarily a matter of the strap, as much as it is the screw in piece. I have one on my 80-200 and one on my camera, and neither one has came loose in 2+ months. At the least, just give it a little turn every week or 2, but really that thing is never going to come loose ("thing" being the little hoop that goes in your tripod socket).

I am looking for a bag, preferably messenger style, that can carry a gripped D7000 + 35mm lens, 1 other lens, maybe a flash, and my ipad. Is it unrealistic to be looking for a bag like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Sevn posted:

I am looking for a bag, preferably messenger style, that can carry a gripped D7000 + 35mm lens, 1 other lens, maybe a flash, and my ipad. Is it unrealistic to be looking for a bag like this?

No, but realize that it's going to be a fat bag because it has to be deep enough to accommodate the gripped camera. Try something like the Think Tank Retrospective 10 or Crumpler 5 Million or 6 Million.

• Locked thread