Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Got it, thanks again all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Whats the best way of getting swords? I feel a little lost in general, it drops you in with no real clue on what to do.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jon Joe posted:

Any advice for Dark Messiah of Might and Magic?
Anyone? I too, bought this game afte watching the LP, and kinda suck at it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

Anyone? I too, bought this game afte watching the LP, and kinda suck at it.

There's an entry on the wiki but it's not much. I haven't played it either :shobon:

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Lord Banana posted:

Whats the best way of getting swords? I feel a little lost in general, it drops you in with no real clue on what to do.

Well, that's easy enough: Kill People. They'll drop their sword on the ground, and you can take it for yourself. Named NPC's have their own unique weapons that you can only get if you kill them, too. Also, there's a shrine area in the game, you usually see a merchant getting picked on by thugs there early in the game. There's a spot in the shrine that's an open courtyard, with the stump of a huge tree off to one side. There's a special sword inside the stump, in case you don't want to kill someone for their sword.

As a tip for combat, there's something in the game called an "Awase". If you time a block right as an enemy would hit you, you completely avoid damage from it and enter a special state called "Glimpse of Death". Any basic enemies that come near you will start an attack, and you'll get a button prompt on the bottom of your screen. Time it right, you kill them instantly. Get it wrong, you get hit. It lasts only a few seconds, but each instant kill you perform resets the timer. It's fairly easy to get an awase if you keep spamming the block button as well, just don't do it in crowded areas until you get the feel for the timing.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Anyone? I too, bought this game ( Dark Messiah) afte watching the LP, and kinda suck at it.

Kicking people is important but you have limited stamina so you have to make your kicks count. Move to whatever environmental hazard you see, the enemy will chase you and then you kick them into it.

I never really used the stealth tree and was perfectly happy without it.

If I recall correctly there is a healing spell. That's worth picking up. Most of the mage stuff is only ok apart from the comedy value spells like ice.

In addition to hitting thing block is kind of important.

I remember at the start combat was kind of challenging but after a few levels it gets much easier and funner.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

What about Eternal Sonata? My brother bought it for me for christmas. Can i play this just like any other JRPG and learn the combat and upgrade my equipment in a logical linear way? Or is there going to be some stuff i have to keep in mind?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Fonzarelli posted:

What about Eternal Sonata? My brother bought it for me for christmas. Can i play this just like any other JRPG and learn the combat and upgrade my equipment in a logical linear way? Or is there going to be some stuff i have to keep in mind?

I never finished the game, but the combat was so easy you basically couldn't loose. Except when you get to a ship in a snow area (with pirates? You've got Chopin anyway), where the shop has some armor that prevents critical hits. Buy and equip it because the boss has really high chance to crit on some multi-hit attacks.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Astus posted:

As a tip for combat, there's something in the game called an "Awase". If you time a block right as an enemy would hit you, you completely avoid damage from it and enter a special state called "Glimpse of Death". Any basic enemies that come near you will start an attack, and you'll get a button prompt on the bottom of your screen. Time it right, you kill them instantly. Get it wrong, you get hit. It lasts only a few seconds, but each instant kill you perform resets the timer. It's fairly easy to get an awase if you keep spamming the block button as well, just don't do it in crowded areas until you get the feel for the timing.

I always had problems using Awase. I heard a rumor that it's not based on blocking at the last second, but releasing block at the last second. I haven't had a chance to test it out, though.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Fonzarelli posted:

It's pretty easy really, the only thing to bear in mind is that the combat will get better. Initially it's so simple that it'll drive you nuts, but eventually it'll get a lot more complex. Also, I hope you like anime things, because dear god, that game...

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Eternal Sonata has a 20 minute death scene where the victim bemoans how useless she is and how she deserves to die while actually dying.

A fun game is to see how long you can last before you start agreeing with her. I made it about 5 minutes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ddraig posted:

Eternal Sonata has a 20 minute death scene where the victim bemoans how useless she is and how she deserves to die while actually dying.

A fun game is to see how long you can last before you start agreeing with her. I made it about 5 minutes.
:psyduck: Tell me you're making this up.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Colon V posted:

:psyduck: Tell me you're making this up.

I wish I was. It might not be 20 minutes, but it definitely goes on way longer than it should. Virtually everyone that's played it has had the same reaction to it, which is basically :psyduck:

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Ddraig posted:

I wish I was. It might not be 20 minutes, but it definitely goes on way longer than it should. Virtually everyone that's played it has had the same reaction to it, which is basically :psyduck:

It's also worth mentioning that this 20 minute scene is for a character you've known about 15 minutes. Several flashbacks are repeated.

TheUkuleleFanboy
Sep 2, 2011

Fonzarelli posted:

Run behind the enemy and hit A a bunch, using a special move just when your turn is about to end. Congratulations, you've mastered the combat system.

In terms of actual advice, take a bunch of pictures using Beat's camera because photos sell for a stupidly high amount of money. Other than that the game is really linear and you shouldn't have many problems.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I love the idea of Eternal Sonata: a RPG about Frederic Chopin dreaming up this world for you on his death bed. It's a shame I could not get into it. Lord knows I tried.

DarkDude98
Jul 22, 2007
Picked up Dungeon Siege 3 for very cheap today (PS3 version), anything I should know?

Cheers

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I just bought the X series on Steam, where should I start? I tried X: Beyond the Frontier and found it hasn't aged well and now I'm hesitant to invest myself in the other games, especially blind. Which game should I start with and are there any must-know pointers?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

I just bought the X series on Steam, where should I start? I tried X: Beyond the Frontier and found it hasn't aged well and now I'm hesitant to invest myself in the other games, especially blind. Which game should I start with and are there any must-know pointers?

X3: Terran Conflict is the one you should start with and, indeed, the only one worth playing at this point. Sorry to say, you got ripped off by buying the entire series.

The thing about the X series is that the storyline is completely forgettable, which means that it's basically the same game with more refinements each time, so you don't really miss out on anything by only playing the most recent one - and the biggest refinement in Terran Conflict is that it has a user interface designed by actual humans, rather than by tentacled aliens who have had iron bars blown through their heads in freak accidents, which means it's actually playable.

Here is the beforeiplay entry for it.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

DarkDude98 posted:

Picked up Dungeon Siege 3 for very cheap today (PS3 version), anything I should know?

Cheers
The healing over time spell you can get (on any hero in some form) is very important, because it's practically the only healing you can have - there are no health potions or anything of the sort.

The final boss is kind of a bitch and takes many tries to figure out.. If you have damage-oriented gear, as most people do, then make sure you have armor and HP giving items around for the final boss.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

DarkDude98 posted:

Cheers

If you find the game isn't fun, put it on Hardcore mode. It's much more challenging and fun, and I wonder if it isn't the way the game was "meant" to be played.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I just downloaded Breath of Fire IV off the PSN and I wanted to know if there's anything specific I should know beforehand? Any missables? Grinding? Things like that, lay it on me.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I really want to have a crack at playing Daggerfall but I keep dying in hopeless circumstances in Privateer's Hold. I avoid the imp who requires steel weapons or better but I always seem to run into a humanoid character of a random class who just destroys me. Am I taking the wrong path or something because I even have the reflexes set to extra low and I still stand no chance against him. Are there meant to be enemies in the opening area that are impossible to kill?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

fuckpot posted:

I really want to have a crack at playing Daggerfall but I keep dying in hopeless circumstances in Privateer's Hold. I avoid the imp who requires steel weapons or better but I always seem to run into a humanoid character of a random class who just destroys me. Am I taking the wrong path or something because I even have the reflexes set to extra low and I still stand no chance against him. Are there meant to be enemies in the opening area that are impossible to kill?

I never started a game without the ebony dagger you can score from the multi-choice background quiz. I couldn't get ahead either in the demo or the full game without it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
When guides for Chrono Trigger say to beat Black Omen in all 3 time zones does that mean the entire thing including final boss or all the way up to the final boss and then backing out or what?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

When guides for Chrono Trigger say to beat Black Omen in all 3 time zones does that mean the entire thing including final boss or all the way up to the final boss and then backing out or what?

Everything up to the final boss then backing out; otherwise you'll just end the game. The game is so easy though that there isn't a practical need to do this unless you absolutely enjoy maximizing a single run through in a game designed to be played on NG+ several times.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By beating the Omen's final boss 3 times, and opting to get 3 Prism Helms from the Rainbow Shell, you can get enough Prism Helms and Prism Dresses for all characters in one playthrough by charming the boss's face and hands with Ayla. Worth it, I think.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

How is it 'worth it' when there's nothing in the game hard enough to need all of those things for?

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
Rome Total War- Open up the descr.strat txt file and move all unlocked, and nonplayable factions to playable. This allows you to play the campaign as anyone you choose, normally you have to play as the romans and do certain actions to unlock factions, and even then you only get some of them. This trick works in the barbarian invasion expansion as well, Im not sure if it works in other TW games but I don't see why you wouldnt be able to do something similar.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

fuckpot posted:

First, during character creation you should be given the option of several items as "your most prized possession". One of them is the ebony dagger. Take the dagger!

Second, are you using a custom class or one that's pre-gen? The character customizer is the most ludicrously broken thing and if the base classes aren't doing it for you you can whip up a demi-god in under 30 minutes.

Third, the exit out the Privateer's Hold is the same room the imp is in. Either kill the fucker or run right past him.

Fourth, don't play Daggerfall! It's as stable as a hippo on a tightrope and you will probably have your saves corrupted at random sooner or later.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

How is it 'worth it' when there's nothing in the game hard enough to need all of those things for?

Dream Devourer in the DS version, perhaps... then again you have to NG+ to unlock it anyway, so I don't even know.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Thanks scamtank and YggiDee. I am now exploring the highly detailed wilderness of Daggerfall.

There are a bunch of unofficial patches and fixes that get installed with DaggerfallSetup.exe that can be downloaded from uesp.net. Hopefully I can play it without too much hassle.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Those make it better but it's not perfect.
Yeah I am heeding the #1 piece of advice I read on most of the FAQs I have read. Save save save save save save save save.

fuckpot fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 12, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

fuckpot posted:

Thanks scamtank and YggiDee. I am now exploring the highly detailed wilderness of Daggerfall.

There are a bunch of unofficial patches and fixes that get installed with DaggerfallSetup.exe that can be downloaded from uesp.net. Hopefully I can play it without too much hassle.

Those make it better but it's not perfect.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I want to play one of The Guild games and I was wondering whether I should play the first or second, and what I should know before playing. All I know is that you control a medieval noble family.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

fuckpot posted:

If you are going to play Daggerfall I strongly recommend you enable the cheats. I know, I know. But: you are going to get sent to dozens of massive, completely randomized dungeons with no indication of where your quest object is. It's very easy to get lost forever in these places. Enabling the cheats allows you to teleport around the dungeons to the quest object locations. This will save your sanity more than once, I guarantee it.

More generally: do not even think about entering a dungeon until you know the mark and recall spells. Set your mark at the entrance. Recall once you've accomplished your objective or hit your carry limit. This is important because, again, dungeons are huge and it is very easy -- maybe probable -- that you'll dive into a dungeon that you'll never be able to find your way out of otherwise.

Quest objectives for dungeons are often at the very beginning. This is mostly in randomized quests but also in some main quest ones. In particular, a quest that requires you to enter a dungeon to meet a bunch of necromancers has the quest objective pretty early on, and if you miss it you'll stumble around a huge maze forever and accomplish nothing.

When you are sent to meet Nulfaga, you can skip the entire dungeon by clicking on a banner next to the locked door at the start and entering the password shut up.

If you want to make comically huge amounts of money in no time at all, go into a shop that sells high quality weapons and armor, wait until nightfall, then take everything in the store for free. It no longer counts as stealing. Then sell everything back to the shopkeeper. But remember that money has weight.

Buy a cart. It increases your carrying capacity by a lot outside of dungeons.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Skeezy posted:

So I just downloaded Breath of Fire IV off the PSN and I wanted to know if there's anything specific I should know beforehand? Any missables? Grinding? Things like that, lay it on me.

This, as well as Breath of Fire III. I've tried to finish this game two times now, I get up to the time skip, maybe a town or two in and put it down thinking I play later. Then I remember and decide to just start from the beginning.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Draile posted:

Buy a cart. It increases your carrying capacity by a lot outside of dungeons.

It'll also give you the movement speed of a horse for a fraction of the cost, and make the whole loitering in shops trick vastly easier.

Also, since no-one's touched it yet: it's possible to make a very strong character right out of the gate if you cheese the hell out of the character creator. Your chances of ever fighting anything outside are so low as to be practically nil, so you can load up on disadvantages such as No Magica or MP During Daylight, 'balancing' them with advantages such as, say, Immune to Magic In Darkness. This trick also works to save you some points if you give yourself both a Weakness and an Immunity to something. Basically, it's broken as hell.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
So I stole a wii from a friend and bought Xenoblade Chronicles. Any tips?

Quek
Aug 7, 2006
The talk about Wizardry 8 a bit ago got me wanting to play the game again as I remember it being a favorite. I'm seeing a lot of mods for the game out now but I have no idea if any are actually good. Are there any mods that are worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Coulis posted:

So I stole a wii from a friend and bought Xenoblade Chronicles. Any tips?

There are two ways to play the game: Side quests or no Side quests. If you do the side quest route, you will end up ridiculously overpowered for most of the creatures you encounter, if you do no side quests the combat will be a challenge.

There are hundreds of side quests, when you first enter a town area you'll probably pick up 15-20 on your first go. New side quests are unlocked by:

- Completing side quests
- Talking to one person in an area may unlock a sidequest for someone else in the area (this only counts for named NPCs, who turn up as blue dots on the minimap)
- Advancing the plot
- Gaining a higher level of affinity with the town (by doing side quests in it)
- Talking to NPCs or doing sidequests in other areas (though this isn't that common)

If you're serious about doing sidequests then you'll want to run round and speak to every named NPC in town every so often to make sure everything's unlocked. People tend to be at fixed positions at certain times, but they can be a pain in the rear end to keep track of. There's a spread sheet in the main thread that has a complete list of who is where (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437315).

Experiment with controlling different Party Members, unlike other JRPGs they all play very differently from each other. You may also find that certain members are much more effective if controlled directly than if you let the AI control them.

You'll have one party member who is very short, be careful getting into fights in shallow water since they'll be swimming and won't be able to attack.

Some quests have points of no return, but you usually have quite a lot of time until you reach them. The two that I remember are:

- Telling people they can go home, after they've been living in a cave Telling the people in the refugee camp they can move back into Colony 6
- Getting into a spaceship to fight a big scary guy Getting into a space ship in Frontier Village to go fight Egil