Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
I have always wanted those modular sets. Now that I see city hall, I might actually have to attempt to pick that one up somehow. No idea how I'll even come close to coming up with the other modulars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
dammmit, arrived at the shop today after reserving it, to find out in between my order and arriving they had received a call from Lego saying "DON'T loving SELL THIS OR ELSE!".
They said they received all their stock, and usually new sets come with a street date but town hall didn't so they presumed it was ok to sell.
And while I was talking the box was sitting on a shelf mocking me.

Going to ring around the other stores and see if anyone else has one...

I did see some new micro star wars sets. Basically a round ball which is either the deathstar or a planet, and a small TIE, pod racer or whatever. Cheap and cheerful, but nice microships.
Oh series 6 mini's were there too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It's Romania! Aren't you all corrupt as gently caress? Bung them an extra 20 and see what happens.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

The_Doctor posted:

It's Romania! Aren't you all corrupt as gently caress? Bung them an extra 20 and see what happens.

I'm not Romanian, but yes corruption is high here.
This guy wouldn't budge though.
I may have sourced another one...don't want to say anything yet.

Jut fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 12, 2012

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Gravy Jones posted:

So much of this thread is focused on AFOL stuff and collecting and the big exclusive sets that sometimes it's nice to be reminded how much Lego just plain loving owns as a toy.

Along the same line, I was really surprised at how much fun I had flinging things about with this set: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=2258-1

It made me feel like a kid :3:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

The_Doctor posted:

Well it looks like its got a whole storey over the Fire Station and that's pretty tall.

In other news I just bought this for £25:

Sadly it's not complete, but there's a huge baseplate and lots of lovely old bricks.
Surely a set like that would be easy to complete off of bricklink. I would think the majority of value would be in the actual box. Great find!

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
victory:D

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
After spending around 20 minutes in my local supermarket fondling packets of Series 6, I now have all of the figures except for the butcher who has no large piece with which to identify the minifigure.

First impressions are that series 6 seems really cheap in comparison to other series. The printing is clean, but not very well done, so the underlying colour of the brick sort of shows through. Maybe I have been unlucky, but there are also some really bad mould-lines, join-lines and vent-points on the moulded pieces such as the Minotaur’s head.

Overall they are a great mix and there are some cool unique pieces, but they seem even cheaper than earlier series if that is possible.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Jut posted:

victory:D

We expect pictures!

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

We expect pictures!

like this?!

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

einTier posted:

Surely a set like that would be easy to complete off of bricklink. I would think the majority of value would be in the actual box. Great find!

It looks like it's supposed to come with a bunch of HO cars and other metal parts. Those can get expensive. Also, technically, all the old bricks are different than the new ones. The "Lego" on the stud is different, and the molds are different. There are also pieces they don't make anymore. For me, the box would be the coolest par, though.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Jut posted:

like this?!

Now finish it and post even more!

I just noticed the use of skeleton legs in the roman facade. Very awesome.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Post the back of the box, I don't think the interiors have really been seen yet.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

ElwoodCuse posted:

Post the back of the box, I don't think the interiors have really been seen yet.

My cat's so cute when I build with lego. She watches, then starts swiping a brick with her paw.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
How do the modular buildings work? Do each of the floors sit on top of one another without actually linking, so you can easily look inside?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Ville Valo posted:

How do the modular buildings work? Do each of the floors sit on top of one another without actually linking, so you can easily look inside?

pretty much, they may be connected with a couple of 2x1's or just slot in.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

So all of the modular houses are:
Cafe Corner, Market Street, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and Town Hall, if I've got them all correct.

If I went on Ebay, that's over $2200 worth of Lego. Holy crap, I wish I had disposable income, or I wish I had the foresight to buy up a couple of Cafe Corner's and to hold on to them. They are going for about $700+ on Ebay right now.

I'd love to see a picture of all of them together. I've asked this earlier, and got this reply, but it's now missing the Town Hall.

Basilson posted:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5090861

This was the best I was able to find after a quick search. The images are rendered, but they look great lined up together. Definitely makes me want to track all the buildings down. If only I had the space (and the money!)

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 12, 2012

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

AFewBricksShy posted:

Cafe Corner, Market Street, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and Town Hall, if I've got them all correct.

If I went on Ebay, that's over $2200 worth of Lego. Holy crap, I wish I had disposable income, or I wish I had the foresight to buy up a couple of Cafe Corner's and to hold on to them. They are going for about $700+ on Ebay right now.

I'd love to see a picture of all of them together.

I missed the market street. Two went on bricklink for 750 eur this month.. I weep

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
IMO Market Street is the worst of the series, doesn't even blend well with the others since it was fan-designed and not done by the guy who did Cafe Corner/Green Grocer etc.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Interlude posted:

IMO Market Street is the worst of the series, doesn't even blend well with the others since it was fan-designed and not done by the guy who did Cafe Corner/Green Grocer etc.
I know which is why i didn't buy it in the first place, but i kinda want it for completion sake.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
You should be building not posting!

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Something happened over lunch. I went to meet a lady in a parking lot and she put a bunch of junk in my trunk. Like a whole bunch.

In case you can't see, there's six of those trays in there, all full, I had to stack them two deep. No idea what all is in there. I did see a few minifigs and it's all LEGO in there apart from the really oddball die cast motorcycle and whatnot. No boxes, but something like 50 instruction manuals, including one for the 6211 Star Destroyer. She claims the kits should be complete, but the LEGOs are well loved ... and who am I kidding, even if they're not complete, it's an epic haul and even selling by weight on eBay will easily recoup my cost.

Because I paid $100 for all that. :colbert:

Really makes up for the overspending on my little tank.

[edit]
That truck chassis on top appears to belong to 8466 Off Roader. I saw a bunch of the lime green panels in the box.

einTier fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 12, 2012

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I have all of them except for Cafe Corner and Market Street. I really would love to see Lego reissue Cafe Corner - it's so totally out of control on ebay. I bought my Green Grocer for under $300 about six months ago and now they seem to be hovering around $450 sealed.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I might have to get the Town Hall. None of the other modular buildings have really grabbed me, but it looks like Town Hall could make a great center for a corrupt Lego government. If only I had some gangster minifigs...

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread, but Target's in the middle of its toy clearance and there's some pretty good deals to be had. I caved into my inner child today and picked up the Scorpion Pyramid and the Portal of Atlantis for $50 each.

I wasn't too excited about the Scorpion Pyramid when it came out, mostly because it looked like it was a combination of a huge baseplate and large, flat pieces for the sides of the pyramid. I was really wrong about it though; the entire front side of the pyramid is built exactly the same way I built pyramids as a kid and there's a lot of neat little things going on with the set. Plus its official lego.com preview is pretty great, although it's no Brick Daddy. Scorpion Pyramid is easily my favorite build since getting back into Lego. It's probably not worth $100, but for $50 it's great. The only thing that disappointed me was how many stickers the set came with; the printed bricks were probably my favorite part of the Johnny Thunder in Egypt lineup.

It was missing a pretty common but pivotal piece, though, so I had to choose between putting all the sides of the pyramid on or building the scorpion. I've never liked scorpions much, so I just have a pyramid.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

FadingChord posted:

I might have to get the Town Hall. None of the other modular buildings have really grabbed me, but it looks like Town Hall could make a great center for a corrupt Lego government. If only I had some gangster minifigs...

Clicky.

Lobsterdeth
Jan 10, 2012

Every so often one of my cartoons leaves the nest and goes out into the world to make its way on its own. And then I hear about it. I hear about it from THE MORONS, the society of goons who HAVE THE MOST PROFOUND OBJECTIONS to what I am saying portraying, and, most of all, to what I am thinking.
Wait, do people pay a lot of $$$ for Lego construction manuals? :20bux:

Cause I have an assload from early/late 90s and early 00s including the first Millenium Falcon and the Collector's Edition big rear end X-Wing.

Just askin', cause my Lego related things are just taking up space here.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Lobsterdeth posted:

Wait, do people pay a lot of $$$ for Lego construction manuals? :20bux:

Cause I have an assload from early/late 90s and early 00s including the first Millenium Falcon and the Collector's Edition big rear end X-Wing.

Just askin', cause my Lego related things are just taking up space here.

It really depends on what you've got. The UCS Star Destroyer instructions are worth $50-60. The one I just picked up is worth about $15, considering there's a crease on the back cover of one book. Of course, the instructions for something small and recent might only be worth a few pennies.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Jut posted:

like this?!

Yes, like that, and also pictures as you build.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jut posted:

My cat's so cute when I build with lego. She watches, then starts swiping a brick with her paw.

Huh, is it me or is the mayor apparently Adam West? Grey hair, blue suit..

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

einTier posted:

Something happened over lunch. I went to meet a lady in a parking lot and she put a bunch of junk in my trunk. Like a whole bunch.

In case you can't see, there's six of those trays in there, all full, I had to stack them two deep. No idea what all is in there. I did see a few minifigs and it's all LEGO in there apart from the really oddball die cast motorcycle and whatnot. No boxes, but something like 50 instruction manuals, including one for the 6211 Star Destroyer. She claims the kits should be complete, but the LEGOs are well loved ... and who am I kidding, even if they're not complete, it's an epic haul and even selling by weight on eBay will easily recoup my cost.

Because I paid $100 for all that. :colbert:

Really makes up for the overspending on my little tank.

[edit]
That truck chassis on top appears to belong to 8466 Off Roader. I saw a bunch of the lime green panels in the box.

Nice find, I've been trying to get a cheap off roader for months and they always go for about as much as you payed for all of that here. (~60-80 euros)

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Which of the current modulars is objectively the best? I really want the Pet Shop but I have a feeling it's number probably the 'worst' of the current three in terms of value and 'fun' (definition may vary).

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

mik posted:

Which of the current modulars is objectively the best? I really want the Pet Shop but I have a feeling it's number probably the 'worst' of the current three in terms of value and 'fun' (definition may vary).

green grocer. It comes with a cat. Oh you said current. Department store maybe, or fire station. They both had their ups and downs when building them.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
Oh man, working in a supermarket is not good for my resistance to blow a load of cash on Lego. Even worse is when I work for the department that covers the toy section. Series 6 came out a couple of days ago and I instantly bought two, getting the legionnaire and the grey. Kind of meh on the Grey but the Roman dude is kicking-rad. Then, today, I had to buy more! But I don't want all of them, can't afford that, so I try feeling up the packets as I'm working that aisle, then I feel retarded and also can't tell very well what some of them are, at least, not the ones I want.
I ended up checking a dot code...list thing and grabbed a bag, saw it matched one of the figures I was looking, only time for a quick fondle and decided to risk it and buy. What do you know?!? The dot-code was right!

Bandit/The Shadow, you are now mine!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Just a heads-up for any ausgoons: Series 6 is on shelves and Toys R Us has them for $3.99 until the 23rd.

I've realised that, between the sleepy guy's head and the doctor's syringe, this series lets you make an addict.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Just a heads-up for any ausgoons: Series 6 is on shelves and Toys R Us has them for $3.99 until the 23rd.

I've realised that, between the sleepy guy's head and the doctor's syringe, this series lets you make an addict.

Thanks.

Must have the bandit and a whole heap of greys to make my alien baseball team The Roswell Greys. Also, to make a 'propper' grey alien for my x-files theme I need short legs and hands of the same colour. Can someone confirm that the alien guy is the regular shade of light grey?

Goodall10
Jul 6, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'd love to see a picture of all of them together.

Yep, that's all of them. I took all of mine (minus Town Hall obviously) and put 'em all together and got some pictures.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
It ended up being 116 pounds of LEGO and their containers. I'm going to call it somewhere around 110 pounds. I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That's so cool, but you should split them into seperate sides of the street with road plates down the centre. Or not, it's loving rad regardless.

e: aw man, my earlier question is going to get buried by responses to your post's awesomeness

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 13, 2012

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

einTier posted:

It ended up being 116 pounds of LEGO and their containers. I'm going to call it somewhere around 110 pounds. I have no idea what I'm going to do.

You've no idea what you're going to build. First you wash it all in warm soapy water, because children are disgusting little goddamn house apes, and those pieces are teeming with bacteria.

Then you get to shop for container systems, and start sorting by part type and color.

Please post details and pics for those of us with OCD. Every five minutes will be fine. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

:stare:

Edit--Guess URL tags don't work with timg.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanmcnaught/6681417451/