Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

Welp, starting today, I'm driving my wifes 9-5 wagon during the next 4 semesters. She's commuting 120 miles to school and back so she stole my TDI. :(
At least now I can get into all the nitpicky bullshit that will drive me insane. First order of business is track down why the CEL comes on and fix the rear right brake light since I noticed it was out this morning, also change batteries on the theft alarm module. Oh what a whole new world I have ahead of me. On a side note, do any of you here know where to find those drat batteries that are the same? I changed them out last year and couldn't find the exact discharge batteries so I had to settle for close enough.

On my 2K, CR17335SE is a direct match to what was in there.

CEL may just be a DI going south; any basic ODBII reader will give you this. Had similar issues w/ lights, but mine was the angled plastic cutting the wires, a common sedan issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Viggen posted:

On my 2K, CR17335SE is a direct match to what was in there.

CEL may just be a DI going south; any basic ODBII reader will give you this. Had similar issues w/ lights, but mine was the angled plastic cutting the wires, a common sedan issue.

I tried putting new batteries in, didn't work. Just got it rebuilt by the company on ebay (search first, there is a douche who doesn't do it right) and haven't had any problems.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Going to go look at an NG900 2.5 w/ tranny in limp mode. What could go wrong with that? :haw:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Looks like my dad's going to be getting that PS pipe replaced - apparently it's looking like the one that runs from the pump to the rack in the end.

Also, he's planning to swap on some 16" alloys to try and lighten up the ride a bit - now, 16" Saab alloys should clear the brakes on an earlier 9-3 Aero, correct? Seems he's found a set with 215/55R16 tyres which, though looking a little bigger than standard to my eyes, should be ok. All the 5-stud Saabs are the same, aren't they? 5x110 PCD, 65.1 bore, about 40mm ET?

He's probably going to be changing it sometime this year for something different, so any UK guys who might be interested, let me know. It's probably worth about £1500 tops at this age.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

Also, he's planning to swap on some 16" alloys to try and lighten up the ride a bit - now, 16" Saab alloys should clear the brakes on an earlier 9-3 Aero, correct? Seems he's found a set with 215/55R16 tyres which, though looking a little bigger than standard to my eyes, should be ok. All the 5-stud Saabs are the same, aren't they? 5x110 PCD, 65.1 bore, about 40mm ET?

They should, but I've seen them clunk into the calipers for some. Avoid the NG900 V6 wheels; they smacked them on my stock 9-5 LPT. Of course, now they'll be a spare to the '95 NG900 V6 that followed me home today.

Interior and exterior need some help. Also, NSS is shot. lovely 2.5L V6. $200, though.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 13, 2012

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Got my CEL taken care of aaaaand the Harman Kardon sub in the rear rattled itself away from the foam. Anyway, the most reliable source for audio I know says to try nailpolish first, if that doesn't work, I'm off to e-bay for some 6 1/2" foam.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Gave up on trying to keep that vacuum hose attached via friction... and absolutely soaked it in super glue.

Five days going and it hasn't popped off versus reattaching it daily.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Viggen posted:

What's wrong with your nose?

The gasoline stink had evaporated by the time I noticed the spill. The ground was also freezing cold which probably dulled the odor pretty effectively.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

Got my CEL taken care of aaaaand the Harman Kardon sub in the rear rattled itself away from the foam. Anyway, the most reliable source for audio I know says to try nailpolish first, if that doesn't work, I'm off to e-bay for some 6 1/2" foam.

Nail polish is used for torn paper; it's the acetone in it which does it; the less you use, the better. This is a 1940s trick to reseal the cones.

Faerunner posted:

Gave up on trying to keep that vacuum hose attached via friction... and absolutely soaked it in super glue.

Five days going and it hasn't popped off versus reattaching it daily.

Couldn't find a way to clamp it? If the whole hose is getting more pliable, it could easily go from this to expanding and blowing/separating, as I am sure you are quite aware.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

The gasoline stink had evaporated by the time I noticed the spill. The ground was also freezing cold which probably dulled the odor pretty effectively.

Although I geographically understand your location, I still don't understand how the both of us can be freezing like hell at the same time. Not sure why that is.

MOSTLY CROSSPOSTED UPDATE FOLLOWS:

It was an unreasonable 50f above today, and everyone flaked on the convoy, so gently caress it: Time to tear into the $200 part-it-out'er, and make it run instead. That's reasonable, right? :haw:

My foray into the evil 1995 2.5L B258L V6 Saapel:

Coolant looked ok, but a little ugly. Was not registering (common issue) Everything was scummy in the overflow. Flush it. Flush it again. Remove, clean, Refill, clean, refill. Of course, sensor failed to register a rare earth magnet, and a simple little wire-wrapped-around-a-washer source, so it's dead.

Engine bay was filthy. First, degreased. Then? Degreased. Then? Garden hose. Then? Degreased. Finally, wiped down. Much better.

Oil was clean, but drained anyhow, because I didn't trust previous owner's abilities. 5-40 for now since it's still winter, and I don't want it to make any noises it doesn't need to. Stuck a fram filter on it, despite better judgement, because I don't intend to own it, and the WIX were out of stock everywhere within 20 miles. Good enough for now.

Battery is OK, but low. Trickle charged up while doing all of the above.

Finished degreasing bits, checking hoses, and moving/tightening basic essentials. Did a minor attempt at rebuilding reed switch on coolant tank (with silly toilet flap logic), and it wasn't working, so said gently caress it, and bypassed for now to get CEL to clear since the '95 doesn't have any user-serviceable codes.

Finished putting it back together and started cold. Purred like a kitten, instead of hesitating. That's what I wanted to hear. Brought up to temp, purged, etc.

Oddly enough, the timing belt and serp are nearly new. Car was MOSTLY rebuilt maybe around 2009, if that long ago - seems current owner just got a 'bleeding me/don't know poo poo' from this point since it was giving fatal errors for stupid not-that-big sensors, as I see it.

Tomorrow: Probably fixing passenger headlamp wiper if it moves (misaligned), or doing headlight wiper delete. More work on testing how screwed the gearbox is for top (motor and var. resistor check fine, thank god). Check seats; see viability of replacing vs repairing.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 15, 2012

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ah, the joys of Saab ownership.

Left highbeam went out, then came back on a bit later. This was a few months ago. Now it died again and did not come back on. Figuring it was the bulb, I did a quick Saab forum search to see if replacing bulbs was a big PITA on these cars (it isn't) and what I found was a dozen threads discussing how when the left highbeam goes out it usually is NOT the bulb, but rather some lamp control module. Found it, wiggled it, and highbeam came back on. Appears to be a broken solder in the module, and the options are to yank it and resolder yourself or pay around 200 bucks for a replacement. I will be soldering.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The solder-highbeam-fix is quick and easy. Did that with mine as I think both highbeams were out of order when I got the car, as was the highbeam icon on the dash. The hardest part about the repair was prying the little circuit board out of that plastic casing they put it in.

In other news, the digital info display in my 9-3 has started dropping pixels again after I had it repaired about two years ago. :argh:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Should I be intrigued by this?:
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/2798888939.html

I have two things that I've always been keen on:
- those seats
- InitialDave always talking up the power

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
At least worth a drive, although I'm biased, as I too crave "dem seats."

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

kimbo305 posted:

- those seats
Yes, yes you should. I would test drive/likely buy the poo poo out of that. Please, check it out and report back. I wish to live through you vicariously.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

uugh

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

- those seats
Ahaha, yes, sorry about that, I hope it doesn't turn out to be some kind of confabulation on my part. It's probably a good ten years since I drove one, but my resounding memory has always been the combination of comfort and on-demand thrust.

Maybe driving one now, they wouldn't feel as special, but I really don't want that to be the case, I love the things.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
I've decided not to part out my Ng900 convertible, I'm simply going to sell it.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/2802169223.html

$500 to goons. As the ad says, it spun a bearing. Also as the ad says, the forge wastegate actuator, the intake I built for it and the lovely ebay blow off valve are included. The horrible aftermarket exhaust that looks like it was attached in a dark driveway with an arc welder is also yours for the taking.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

ACEofsnett posted:

I've decided not to part out my Ng900 convertible, I'm simply going to sell it.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/2802169223.html

$500 to goons. As the ad says, it spun a bearing. Also as the ad says, the forge wastegate actuator, the intake I built for it and the lovely ebay blow off valve are included. The horrible aftermarket exhaust that looks like it was attached in a dark driveway with an arc welder is also yours for the taking.

As long as we're posting CL links, I'm selling my 01 9-3. I dunno if any of you goons live anywhere close though.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/2799857769.html

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

They're currently pillaging the Saab museum in Trollhättan as a part of the bankruptcy proceedings, so if anyone is in the market for a classic Saab, now's your chance. Think I even spotted a Cadillac BLS in there, as I think they were built at the Saab plant.

http://www.swadeology.com/2012/01/for-sale-the-cars-at-the-saab-museum/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Apparently they're crushing all the units that are either in the process of being built or are built-but-unsold. I'm surprised Sweden doesn't want to hold onto the first Saab ever built.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

Nail polish is used for torn paper; it's the acetone in it which does it; the less you use, the better. This is a 1940s trick to reseal the cones.

Nail polish worked beautifully and I have a pretty blue glittery stripe on the outside since my wife was out of clear. :)

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Apparently they're crushing all the units that are either in the process of being built or are built-but-unsold. I'm surprised Sweden doesn't want to hold onto the first Saab ever built.

I thought that they were only crushing the 100 or so unfinished cars on the factory production line, not the museum pieces?

e: or maybe that's what you meant?

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 17, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I thought that they were only crushing the 100 or so unfinished cars on the factory production line, not the museum pieces?

I think those were two separate statements.

Just got the NPS my 95 900 SE needs for $100. Also, the parts for the top. Gonna be putting poo poo back together.

Solidar
Aug 20, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

- those seats

I saw this earlier, and was thinking about checking it out myself. Did you go see it?

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

They're currently pillaging the Saab museum in Trollhättan as a part of the bankruptcy proceedings, so if anyone is in the market for a classic Saab, now's your chance. Think I even spotted a Cadillac BLS in there, as I think they were built at the Saab plant.

http://www.swadeology.com/2012/01/for-sale-the-cars-at-the-saab-museum/
Holy poo poo they're selling the Aero-X. I know it's barely a functional car but, man.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/19/chinas-youngman-to-wage-new-bid-for-saab/

Autoblog posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, those of you preparing to leave the theater because you thought the Saab opera was over, well, take a seat. After sinking a fair bit of money into the troubled Swedish automaker while chasing the deal, Youngman isn't ready to walk away. According to Reuters, the Chinese firm is ready to make a new bid for the Swedish brand as soon as next week, and it could be worth more than a billion Euros. Stay with us, because as you might expect, it's a bit convoluted.

The door appeared closed on Youngman for good when General Motors, which engineered much of the technology in the 9-5 and 9-4X, said it wouldn't do a deal that risked harming its position in China (read: they feared they might lose their intellectual property rights). As it was, the Saab deal brokered with Youngman would make General Motors compete against another company for which GM was building cars and that was using GM technology. To get around that, it appears that Youngman has proposed buying Saab and not using GM tech, which, that's right, would mean walking away from the still-new 9-5 and 9-4X. Instead, Youngman would restart Saab production with a brand-new 9-3 (said to be the car in the grainy image above) and would hope to do it in as little as 15 weeks.

The Chinese company has Saab's Phoenix architecture in mind, which is ready to go and said to be essentially free of GM intellectual property. According to Just-Auto, Phoenix-based Lotus variants for China are also under consideration, but with Proton's pending sale to DRB-Hicom that plan seems a little unsure. A group of European auto suppliers headed by Bosch has traveled to China, on Youngman's dime, to investigate the possibilities and practicalities of just such a plan. As to how aggressive GM might to safeguard whatever interests it has in the Phoenix platform, the supplier-body CEO quipped, "The 9-3 is not a big risk to GM – there has to be a limit to how nasty they can be."

On top of that, there might be questions about how many of Saab's assets are still even available for purchase. Reuters said that engineering firm Semcon SMC.ST agreed to buy key Saab technology, but a report on fan site Saabs United counters that the sale was declined over factory utilization. Saabs United also says that a Youngman-built 9-3 might only be sold in China. The Youngman CEO and his daughter Rachel Pang are apparently due in Sweden next week to further the bidding process, but we should have more word on the Bosch-led supplier trip soon enough.

15 weeks

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Get rid of the lovely SUV and the who cares because it isn't a 9-3? I'm down with that.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Faerunner posted:

Get rid of the lovely SUV and the who cares because it isn't a 9-3? I'm down with that.

+1

Truth be told, there's a lot more of GM than can be ironed out in 15 weeks, but, ya know, I still have hope.

Then again, I am repairing an NG900 v6.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 20, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Solidar posted:

I saw this earlier, and was thinking about checking it out myself. Did you go see it?

I googled the number and it's some sort of hippie shop. I guess it's the owner? I called twice last weekend with no response. After a ton of rings, it goes to a modem answer, bizarrely.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyone have an old copy of WIS for the NG900?

Can you look up how the hell I'm supposed to remove the servo pipe mounting bracket that is attached above the top of the NPS? It's a bit too cramped to see, and the '98 OG93 schematic I have does not apply. It's odd shaped, and I don't want to mess it up - although I can probably just grab it with pliers and screw it off. Hard to discern when it's snowing sideways.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/2800000438.html

Going to look at that tomorrow. Apparently its been sitting in a heated garage for three years since the turbo blew, and the guy who owns it just put in a turbo from an '89 SPG, so according to him it should be just about ready for the road...

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

localized posted:

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/2800000438.html

Going to look at that tomorrow. Apparently its been sitting in a heated garage for three years since the turbo blew, and the guy who owns it just put in a turbo from an '89 SPG, so according to him it should be just about ready for the road...
That's awesome, good luck with it. I always loved the earlier grills like that one has. IMO, the C900s don't get enough love around here. North Dakota is a SAAB dead zone, so I'm jealous of all the sweet finds on the east coast. Only decent options around here are rusted out examples from MN. Never should have let that AZ C900 of mine go. :smith:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Francis Baconator posted:

Never should have let that AZ C900 of mine go. :smith:

Full circle in: About two years? :q:

loving NPS. Finally got a bit of light today. 1995 NPS has a nice gently caress-you second 17mm bolt under, and right up against the structural support that isn't shown anywhere, but drat you'll know it.

Got NPS exchanged, fixed for offset, then decided to reuse a crappy hose clamp that was on the power steering reservoir. Stripped. Stupid tightass. Now it's starting to snow sideways again, and my back is absolutely destroyed.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 22, 2012

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Viggen posted:

Full circle in: About two years? :q:
I wish. 9 months ago, I could've gotten a 1988 c900 turbo that was in retardedly good shape with only 105K on the clock. It was just an hour away from me, but when I test drove it, I didn't feel anything. I suspect it meant little to me because it was already in good condition and didn't require the TLC I lavished on my old one to get it up to speed. Plus, I didn't want to drop $3,500 for the seller's firm asking price (worked it down from $5,500). Heh, now she's living somewhere in MN, so I suspect the car's toast by now.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

Well I have taken about a year and sorted out all my issues with my 98 Volvo V70XC. My son's 98 BMW 540i is starting to give death rattle noises and lights up like a Christmas tree. I am thinking about a SAAB to have around as an extra I can screw with so I can kind of rotate different cars while I mess with them. My wife will probably need something new before long, she has a 2002 Suburban in pretty good shape but 147k miles. None of us has long commutes.

I am addicted to working on older European cars, sick I know, but it keeps me out of trouble to some degree. SAABs are hard to come by in the South, would prefer an even older classic 900. Buying anything from where you guys salt your roads scares me to death. What should I offer for this one?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

EvellSnoats posted:

I am addicted to working on older European cars, sick I know, but it keeps me out of trouble to some degree. SAABs are hard to come by in the South, would prefer an even older classic 900. Buying anything from where you guys salt your roads scares me to death. What should I offer for this one?

Check your computer's clock. :q:

900 SE hatch, so I'm going to assume it's a 97.

The check engine light WILL turn on because of the stupid coolant sensor. You can either replace the coolant overflow, or just jump across the sensor leads to make it go away.

The windows are all worn, and you're going to have a ton of fun replacing crap there.

I picked up your car's bigger topless sister with 102k and a probably-bad TCM for hundreds of bucks. I wouldn't drop more than a grand for that car.

Francis Baconator posted:

Heh, now she's living somewhere in MN, so I suspect the car's toast by now.

Yeah, it's dead. :(

Got my NPS in, no reverse lights, but going instantly limp-home. Just how the gently caress am I supposed to diagnose if the NPS is off a fraction or not?

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

EvellSnoats posted:

Well I have taken about a year and sorted out all my issues with my 98 Volvo V70XC. My son's 98 BMW 540i is starting to give death rattle noises and lights up like a Christmas tree. I am thinking about a SAAB to have around as an extra I can screw with so I can kind of rotate different cars while I mess with them. My wife will probably need something new before long, she has a 2002 Suburban in pretty good shape but 147k miles. None of us has long commutes.

I see you're looking in northern Mississippi. I'm selling my 01 9-3 with less miles than that on it, better interior, and no CEL. Email me petekill at gmail if you want more info. Located in Little Rock.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/2808552494.html

I would PM you if I had them.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

EvellSnoats posted:

I bought my '96 with 119k on the clock for $400, but it depends more on your local prices more than anything. Around me, SAABs are ridiculously plentiful and thus the prices are a bit lower than I would expect to pay in even another New England state.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Rebuilt my NPS. Works, but don't trust it. Pinned out to other NPS; not quite the same data at same time. Getting a rebuilt-proper one.

Still, kind of like 2.5L other than goddamn rear spark plugs. Thanks, GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal
With the bankruptcy and all...what are thoughts on buying a 2007 9-5 Aero now? I'm guessing parts availability won't be as good with a 9-3 with the GM 2.0, but could use the extra space of a 9-5 for a child seat. Ones I've seen locally are around $10-11k with about 60k miles. These don't typically have the sludging issues the earlier 9-5s did, right? Looking for a daily driver for the wife and I've always wanted a Saab. Any particular issues to look out for?