Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

jeffersonlives posted:

Based on his current ratings and age I am pretty comfortable with that guy getting to around his projections, and his projections make him a top 10 pitcher in most worlds. When the worst case is that you get 120-140 ace reliever quality innings that you can leverage, that's not really a worst case, is it?

Jeff. And I agree completely, the world is coming to an end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Negotiations for Melian have gone up to 22m...

CanadianJericholeaf
Jun 9, 2004

by Lowtax

Scrotos posted:

Jeff. And I agree completely, the world is coming to an end.
Only because it's a player in a world neither of you are playing in.

AlleyViper posted:

Negotiations for Melian have gone up to 22m...
Should've raped every other budget and had $50MM to throw at the BAP.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Honestly would have loved to be able to but I came in with expensive players committed and the fifth overall pick.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

My last bid on Melian was for 23m, didn't get a chance to re-up and he signed for 25m. Welp.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Okay, I need advice. The previous owner of this team that I took over selected this pitcher 8th overall in last season's draft. (note: I only have 10m in advance scouting so the projections could be all over the place).

I wanna move this guy, because no matter what his true projections are, he'd still have a sub-70 vR even if he jumped 30 points, which is unlikely.

I've been offered this guy:

Obviously, if you know how I build my teams, the low vR doesn't necessarily dissuade me from liking this guy, especially with elite power and most likely elite contact.

Would you do this one-for-one swap? I like Mercedes far more than Brito, as the latter looks to be a terrible selection that was probably the result of poor scouting or just not ranking players. Just wanna make sure there's not something I'm missing.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Even with that vR I have to imagine Mercedes can at least replicate what Ed Harris does for me in Dimaggio which definitely makes him more valuable than Brito.

I guess it comes down to whether you think you can get more out of him.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

I think the risk that your scouting is so bad that it's over 20 points wrong on Brito is small enough. Brito probably can't do anything for you ever at the ML level. At the absolute worst, Mercedes will crush some vL pitching. And maybe his other numbers are good enough to compensate against vR and be decent. I'm not sure. But I'd make that trade without much hesitating at all.

disclaimer: this trade involves you receiving a player that may hit 100 power, my advice may be biased

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I really dislike that massive reverse platoon/bad eye combo. I think you can do better shopping the pitcher around.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

Quasimango posted:

Is OVR seriously underating this guy?

Oh, god drat it, I just missed out by two spots on him from the one franchise with a higher college scouting than me. Yay for the good-field, crap bat SS I got.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So, this was kind of crazy in Greenwell. Sparky used one of my starting pitchers as a pinch runner for my DH then left him in at DH to finish the game.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

okay so going through a rebuild and trading when you've forgotten to set your budget and only have 10m in scouting is an interesting task. I've got an owner who's slightly miffed that I didn't take his deal over another one, here's the parties in question, would just like to get thoughts from those who are a bit better at playing without advance scouting.

The two pitchers I am acquiring:

Cannon was picked 19th in last season's draft.

Alomar signed as an IFA last season for 5.9m.

The centerpiece pitcher the other guy was offering was:

Foster was drafted in the first round, 30th pick. The guy insists that Foster is better than either of the guys I got back. He was also offering either one or two borderline 2B/COF types that fit my profile of a bench bat (decent power/eye), definitely replaceable guys.

I'm fine with my choice -- not even taking into account what I gave up, which was a 31-year-old 81 overall 1B with elite vR/eye and good contact/dwindling power -- but I'm still honing my skills of trying to evaluate younger guys without the benefit of accurate scouting. Plus it's more difficult in this instance since both Cannon and Alomar are only in their second pro years and don't have the benefit of ratings over multiple seasons to judge their growth in previous years.

Just based on where the current ratings are, combined with draft position/years pro/makeup, I still think it was the right call.

Thoughts?

nasboat fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 6, 2012

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So, i'm going to protect Bagwell, Biggio, Berkman, JR Richard, and Mike Scott. I was thinking about Nolan or Dierker, but I decided against it.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So, how about spoonfeds list of protected...

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 9, 2012

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Art, how did you not protect Clemens?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
If anyone is interested I found an open world in HBD with the requisite openings to get every park compiled into one list.

See Link below

One interesting thing I found is that STL is no longer on the list. I double checked it. We had an STL team in Hometown last season so I wonder if that was grandfathered in or if there is a difference between private worlds and open worlds in the parks you can choose.

Obviously I shouldn't do things late at night because when I'm tired I'm kind of :downs:
The teams that were already in the league don't show up on the list. Consider this a work in progress for now.

Devo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 9, 2012

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
How important is a catcher's pitchcalling, i.e., is this guy going to cut it as a major league catcher?

Got him as an IFA for 10 million (though that was my first offer, so I might have got him for less), and I'm in the NL so no DH. I really want to use that bat though.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I use a guy with 40 PC on the reg and notice my pitchers struggling more than with my 73 PC backup catcher. I don't think I would go down into the 20s. Also his arm is kind of weak if you play in a league with a lot of base stealers.

That being said he'll be a pretty good trade chip for you when it's time for him to jump out of the minors.

If you really hate your pitchers you could play him at 1B.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

I routinely run out catchers with PC in the low 40s high 30s in other worlds and there is not a noticeable drop off for Catcher ERA. But, I have noticed a huge drop off in quality of pitching in the low 30s in the 20s. So I say not unless he DITRs.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Devo posted:

If anyone is interested I found an open world in HBD with the requisite openings to get every park compiled into one list.

See Link below

One interesting thing I found is that STL is no longer on the list. I double checked it. We had an STL team in Hometown last season so I wonder if that was grandfathered in or if there is a difference between private worlds and open worlds in the parks you can choose.

Obviously I shouldn't do things late at night because when I'm tired I'm kind of :downs:
The teams that were already in the league don't show up on the list. Consider this a work in progress for now.

I've gone through and added all the parks I was missing. I might try to scam some private world passwords to get the divisional and capacity information that's still not there. But all of the cities and park factors are now in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDEAqlXc-y-dHlrRlRYTkxqVHYwaGFKM1FzU0NNUlE

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/Boxscore.aspx?gid=42709575&pbp=1 This game is incredible

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Okay AV, you need to tell me who the amazing fit in rule V is, because I have no idea.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'll tell you as soon as you make your pick.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

I'll tell you as soon as you make your pick.

I've decided who i'm going to pick, and it's very likely it's terrible one compared to yours.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Chris Hoiles, you doof

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Chris Hoiles, you doof

Oh goddamn you're right

HERE'S HOPING I CAN GET HIM ROUND 2

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ArtVandelay posted:

Oh goddamn you're right

HERE'S HOPING I CAN GET HIM ROUND 2

You won't, if he's there I'm taking him.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Ok I'm weighing some trades before the season starts in Hometown and I was hoping for some thoughts.

I've got Nate Haynes (seen here at draft time) that I want to trade away because gently caress prospects and all that.

I've also got two competing offers for him that I think are fair, and I'm trying to figure out which one best fits my team (in the NL).

Randy Robinson from a team in my division, and Wayne Radmanovich from a team in the AL.

My catching situation is silly. I've got Miguel Gabriel who owns but has terrible durability and a bad left handed split. So Radmanovich would be starting at C against all lefties and starting at DH in the six games I play at AL parks.

On the other hand I don't have any good options at RF/3B and that is going be my number one priority in free agency. I have a decent amount of cash to spend but the chance to play Robinson every day for cheap is appealing to me even if his bat is slightly worse. There's also the chance that one of the other two teams I've got on the line comes up with something better but I doubt it at this time.

So thoughts? Take the real good bat for less games or take the better fielder for the whole year?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Actually I might not take Hoiles since two better guys for my team were left unprotected. We will see.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Update to the above. A third team has thrown an offer my way. The individual pieces aren't as good but I could fill two spots on my team instead of one. I probably won't go through with this one unless I can get him to eat some salary on Selby.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Alright, draft chat time. I've got the fifth overall pick in Greenwell and need a little help organizing the top of my board. The top two are clear cut:

I like Brinson more but there's a lot to like about Daly and I could certainly be convinced to rank him 1 if someone with more experience thought it was the right move.

After those two, though, things get a little murky. Not sure how to rank the rest of these guys:

I kind of feel like Lopez should be last among them just for durability/health reasons but I am in the AL and that bat is dreamy. I also have 13 HS and College scouting so keep that in mind (maybe Vaughn can actually reach 80+ glove...).

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Vaughn won't sign, he's the guy you take to punt the pick to next season.

I'd go Brinson, Daly, Lopez, Guzman, Vaughn, Poole, Azocar myself. Lopez's bat is special enough to make up for the other flaws.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Good call about Vaughn, I completely missed that he probably wouldn't sign.

Would it be crazy to call Lopez up immediately if I drafted him? He could certainly hit in the majors right now and my current DH is nothing amazing.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

So in one of my other worlds (CubsWin), a veteran with 292 seasons and 10 WS titles under his belt traded for a young, quality hitting 2B, giving up a pretty good Setup A and a couple of other pieces. It wasn't a good deal, and after someone else brought up their concerns in world chat, I agreed with them and pointed out that, even though the one player was a good setup man, it still wasn't a great return on a young hitter.

This veteran owner then proceeds to TC me and tell me that I need to take another look if I think the pitcher is a setup man, because clearly he's an elite closer in our world. I look, and the guy has literally pitched this dude between 40-60 innings a season as his closer, and the guy has a career ERA of around 4. Pretty good, but not great. The owner then demanded that I "correct" myself in world chat after looking things over.

I replied that if he would rather get 40-60 innings out of a quality reliever than the 100+ he should be pitching, that's his prerogative, but that actually would make the deal worse in my eyes. I have a feeling this dude is someone who values CLOSERS and SAVES in real life, too.

Eagerly awaiting his response in which he cites his 292 seasons of experience and calls me an idiot.

e: update! His response was "you say he's a setup man but he has over 200 saves in his career. Laughable." :ughh:

nasboat fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 12, 2012

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ahahhahaa awesome. Its owners like that, that make me want to flee the rest of the worlds I am in and hide in Mordecai/Dimaggio.

Trying to trade away my team in RNL is a mini disaster.

Scrotos fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 12, 2012

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

AlleyViper posted:

Good call about Vaughn, I completely missed that he probably wouldn't sign.

Would it be crazy to call Lopez up immediately if I drafted him? He could certainly hit in the majors right now and my current DH is nothing amazing.

If you're competing this season, sure, he's basically ready right now. And that durability should carry through the rest of the season.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Has anyone ever used 2011 Michael Bourn? Would he be good in a 120mil league?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I jumped in on this.

e: and got a pretty crappy draw :sigh:

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 15, 2012

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm not sure I got the greatest draw either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Awww man, the one thing I wanted was an excuse to use a super expensive Hornsby and mbu got just that

• Locked thread