Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

graybook posted:

Bro's also got a sweet-rear end gaming chair. Dersite Cal is pretty notable too.

We saw Dream Cal in the Act 6 opening flash. It ties into the B1's baby meteors went to both B1 and B2's Earth theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Am I overthinking this?

Fan speculation about D___ Strider at start of Act 6:
- Subtle hints dropped that he's gay?
- Likes ponies due to Maplehoof and book he gave Jane? Maybe Bro is a Brony?

Reveal of D___'s room:
- Rainbow pony on LBGT rainbow flag

This is Hussie totally trolling the fans, isn't it?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's literally Rainbow Dash on a rainbow background you're overthinking this

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Chunky12345 posted:

But it's not any rainbow background, it's the actual LBGT symbol.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lgbt+flag&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I really really hope his name is DICK STRIDER.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Bobulus posted:

But it's not any rainbow background, it's the actual LBGT symbol.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lgbt+flag&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch

Chunky12345 posted:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There you are, Sawtooth

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Bobulus posted:

Am I overthinking this?

Fan speculation about D___ Strider at start of Act 6:
- Subtle hints dropped that he's gay?
- Likes ponies due to Maplehoof and book he gave Jane? Maybe Bro is a Brony?

Reveal of D___'s room:
- Rainbow pony on LBGT rainbow flag

This is Hussie totally trolling the fans, isn't it?

Hussie makes the kid-version of the guy with a puppet fetish enjoy MLP (or ironically pretend to enjoy it) and possibly be gay (or ironically pretend to be gay). You think there is any chance he doesn't enjoy making fun of his fans?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Eox posted:

There you are, Sawtooth

Jeez, I thought that might be Sawtooth, but my brain kept interpreting the picture upside down and I thought it was a torso. It looked like a white version of John's ectobiologist lab suit or a small version of Grandpa Harley/Colonel Sassacre's suit.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

creationist believer posted:

We saw Dream Cal in the Act 6 opening flash. It ties into the B1's baby meteors went to both B1 and B2's Earth theory.

Ah, yes; I'd forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn
About the latest sbahj, did anyone notice that Sweet Bro's chest and abs when he's lifting kinda looks like a face? 8^y

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Bro's birds are gulls, yes? Gulls are pretty much the obnoxious, loud assholes of the bird world, so it seems fitting.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Bro's birds are gulls, yes? Gulls are pretty much the obnoxious, loud assholes of the bird world, so it seems fitting.

I've assumed they were doves since they're a thematic contrast to crows. It hasn't been explicitly stated yet though. Bro and Dave live pretty far from water, I think, so I doubt that they are gulls.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

I've assumed they were doves since they're a thematic contrast to crows. It hasn't been explicitly stated yet though. Bro and Dave live pretty far from water, I think, so I doubt that they are gulls.

How close do they live to a landfill, though?

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

A Spider posted:

I really really hope his name is DICK STRIDER.

Dick Strider, the Prince of Heart. It's absolutely perfect.

Jake English posted:

Laughter isn't an emotion, dickprince!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I have a Kate Beaton Fat Pony figure underneath my monitor exactly like DS's little Maplehoof there.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

In one of the earlier panels in Act 6, the white birds sure looked like they had the wing and tail shape of gulls, but it's a bit hard to tell with Hussie's stylization. Doves would work as a thematic contrast to Dave's crows, but they're so not Di__'s type. I like the idea of gulls if only because they're a good match for his personality.

I await the inevitable prototyping that will reveal what we're dealing with.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I like the idea of doves just because of the stylistic, John Woo imagery associated with them would be a nice counterpoint to Dave's cros and all the kind of... death imagery surrounding those birds.

But they look way more like Gulls

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I don't know poo poo about ornithology and assumed the birds were just Dave's crows colored white and then assumed that doves would work best thematically!

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

I don't know poo poo about ornithology and assumed the birds were just Dave's crows colored white and then assumed that doves would work best thematically!

Even though I'm a huge bird nerd, I totally thought they were doves until that one panel with Bro looking up at the sky. Doves make the most sense symbolism-wise, but in Homestuck you never really know what the heck is going to happen, so the jury is out 'til we get some kind of indication from Hussie.

The Rambunctious Crow tried to steal Dave's copy of the game. Maybe an rear end in a top hat Gull will poo poo all over Di__'s.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
In a big urban place like that, pigeons were my first guess. I don't think you really get many gulls that far inland unless they're migrating or something.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

There were a million gulls in the playground when I grew up and I lived in Alberta. Not sure what it's like in... Texas? Where the Striders live, but there's definitely gull-looking things that live significantly inland.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
So bird chat is great and all, but did nobody else see that his computer is freaking floating in the air!!

Also I love this thread, because I'm always so eager to get to the text that I neglect to fully examine the pictures, and you all always pick up the slack and make me go back and look.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

In a big urban place like that, pigeons were my first guess. I don't think you really get many gulls that far inland unless they're migrating or something.

I don't want to derail this into too much of a birdchat, but many gull species are amazingly urban nowadays. They'll hang out in garbage dumps and McDonald's parking lots. That, and gulls aren't strictly oceanic. You'll find 'em along rivers and lakes as well, even in the middle of the continental US. If I recall correctly, Dave is in the Houston area, and that's close enough to the Gulf to account for plentiful urban gulls.

It's not uncommon to find gulls and crows chilling on the same garbage dumps.

The more you know!

E: And yes, Di__'s got a sweet machine. The floating is odd, and yet in the context of tiaratops and helmet computers, it seems normal as can be. The Alpha kids have access to wacky technology.

Strongylocentrotus fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 13, 2012

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Jyrraeth posted:

There were a million gulls in the playground when I grew up and I lived in Alberta. Not sure what it's like in... Texas? Where the Striders live, but there's definitely gull-looking things that live significantly inland.

Seagulls only go out to sea to die. At least, that's what the Simpsons taught me.

I'm surprised to learn that Rambunctious Crow isn't a direct Earthbound reference. I kind of thought it was but I guess it's a perfect copy of the style but not the substance.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Man, for a guy with some hi tech that's sure one simple rear end table he has in his room.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
About D. Strider being awake on both Derse and Earth at once: Rose did say that Dave was awake on Derse all along, earlier in the comic. We never saw both of Dave's selves being awake at the same time (excluding past/future selves), but he didn't have a lot of time on Derse while awake (aware?). D. Strider had almost three more years on Dave in comparison. So maybe it's just a Strider thing?

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Cheapsteaks posted:

Man, for a guy with some hi tech that's sure one simple rear end table he has in his room.

It's just a plank of wood supported by cinder blocks. For some reason, it's difficult for me to even call them tables.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Strongylocentrotus posted:

I don't want to derail this into too much of a birdchat, but many gull species are amazingly urban nowadays. They'll hang out in garbage dumps and McDonald's parking lots. That, and gulls aren't strictly oceanic. You'll find 'em along rivers and lakes as well, even in the middle of the continental US. If I recall correctly, Dave is in the Houston area, and that's close enough to the Gulf to account for plentiful urban gulls.

It's not uncommon to find gulls and crows chilling on the same garbage dumps.

The more you know!

E: And yes, Di__'s got a sweet machine. The floating is odd, and yet in the context of tiaratops and helmet computers, it seems normal as can be. The Alpha kids have access to wacky technology.

Cool, I didn't realize that they've come so far inland. I live basically right on Lake Huron so I see these assholes all day. I assumed (hoped?) that others were safe from the bird-plague.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mannnn, still holding out on discovering where Di__ Strider's depth or problems come into play. So far he's seemed just a little too chill and on top of things. We've no place for clever chessmaster heroes with our lot of psychologically flawed pro/antagonists.

I'm glad he elaborated more on what role Derse plays with their players, I had figured it was something like "revering them even though they have to oppose them", like it's all some sort of religious duty. That seems to be roughly true, although the new management (probably the Batterwitch) is probably about to put an end to that and have Jack Noir try to kill 'em.

Also, gotta love the little Rainbow Dash snuck in there. I double-dare Hussie to have Di__ Strider prototype his Sprite with a Pony, just for the reaction.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Chunky12345 posted:

That is pretty distinctly the LGBT flag, dude, I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to overthink Homestuck anyway-- how long ago was it that one minor monitor of one page that had no attention drawn to it foreshadowed an eight player session? Even if it's just there as a red herring, though, that's the flag.

Edit: I think it's literally the first Google Image Search result for "LGBT flag" with Rainbow Dash stuck on top and tilted, in fact.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, there's rainbows, and then there's that particular selection of colours in that particular arrangement.

Even if you call it a coincidence, we can invoke Death of the Authour Mode for Accidental Subtext. Especially since iirc it's popular in ~*pony fandom*~ to interpret Rainbow Dash as a gay character.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, there's rainbows, and then there's that particular selection of colours in that particular arrangement

The order of colours in a rainbow is set though, it's not like you can just go Red, Green, Indigo Blue, Orange, Violet, Yellow and still have it be a rainbow. It is totally the LGBT flag off google image search. People have been asking if Bro is gay since Act 1. Oh Hussie

EDIT

Oh and from a few quick seconds of Google-Fu, it turns out the image in its entirety is the first result for "Rainbow Dash Drawing", so whether it is such a flag, Hussie didn't put it in the image.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 13, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

The order of colours in a rainbow is set though, it's not like you can just go Red, Green, Indigo Blue, Orange, Violet, Yellow and still have it be a rainbow.

But what if you choose more colours? Or fewer? And what about the myriad of compositions other than horizontal stripes that form a rectangle? WELL?

Prison Warden posted:

Oh and from a few quick seconds of Google-Fu, it turns out the image in its entirety is the first result for "Rainbow Dash Drawing", so whether it is such a flag, Hussie didn't put it in the image.

Still gonna invoke Death of the Authour.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

But what if you choose more colours? Or fewer? And what about the myriad of compositions other than horizontal stripes that form a rectangle? WELL?

Is this how you create the impossible shade of yellow that you said would be in the EoA5 flash? I was counting on my video card melting. :colbert:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Boneless Jogger posted:

Is this how you create the impossible shade of yellow that you said would be in the EoA5 flash? I was counting on my video card melting. :colbert:

Andrew said it took an extra two weeks because Flash kept crashing on him. That yellow was pretty clearly the culprit, which is why he must have taken it out.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
Bro seems oddly nice to Jane, and a complete dick (heh) to Jake. Not sure what to make of that, but maybe it's a call-back to Dave's relationships with Jade and John.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Loden Taylor posted:

So music chat motivated me to sit down and do some work. I came up with this tune about Aradia's ancestor:

(alternately titled "Someone Call Philip Glass and Tell Him I Just Wrote His Next Piece")

It's about 2/3rds done, and I'm not happy with the mix yet, but I feel pretty good with where it's going so far. It doesn't sound particularly Homestuck-ish, but I'm ok with that.

This is from several pages back, but I just had to say that this reminds me very strongly of Carbon Nadsat. Which is basically my favorite song from the Midnight Crew album so not a bad thing at all :shobon:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Starmaker posted:

Bro seems oddly nice to Jane, and a complete dick (heh) to Jake. Not sure what to make of that, but maybe it's a call-back to Dave's relationships with Jade and John.

I remember a question on Hussie's first formspring wondering if Dave and John actually hated each other instead of being best buds.

I dunno, both of these seem like a pretty realistic, normal male best friend relationship to me. I'd say like 70% of my interactions with friends involve us taking the piss out of each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presumable
Nov 23, 2011

by T. Fine
The strange thing about the newest Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff is that it seems to be referring to something that's already happened in Homestuck, instead of foreshadowing or reflecting current events. "Ripped" refers to Scratch's body tearing, and how much more large and muscular Lord English is in comparison (hence jeff being smaller). Also notice the felt green in the background of the inset panel.