Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2003/jun/06/artsfeatures1

Jesse remembered how he and the other officer tried to explain to Takako that Fargo was just a movie, that it was all make-believe. There was no treasure buried anywhere really, they kept trying to make her understand. Takako was polite as ever, very friendly and co-operative, but Jesse could tell she wasn't listening. They finally had to give up. "I remember it real clear. Guess her mind was made up. She was just dead set on going to Fargo," Jesse said. He took her to the bus station to catch the next Greyhound east. The next time he thought about her was when the detectives called from Detroit Lakes, over the state line in Minnesota, to say that a Japanese girl had been found dead in their woods, with his card in her wallet.

:smith:
The death of Takako Konishi is a sad story, but if you read the article through to the end, you will find that the link to the movie Fargo is an urban legend. She had an American lover who was from Minnesota, and she had traveled there several times. They broke up, she lost her job, and in her depression, she traveled back. She mailed a suicide note to her parents in Japan, spoke to her lover by telephone one last time, then killed herself with sedatives and alcohol.

From the article:

quote:

It turned out that the story I had come to find in the upper midwest never existed. Yes, she had come to the upper midwest to kill herself. But not because of Fargo. It seemed the whole treasure story was nothing more than a Coen brothers-style series of tragic misunderstandings. Nothing more than the figment of an earnest policeman's imagination. Nothing more than a tale that people wanted to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

You are right, though. It specifics don't matter. He believes he needs money, and we believe him. Everything else is just icing.

Isn't the whole thing basically just a MacGuffin?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

...that made me wonder what the general consensus on Woody Allens comedies like Sleeper, Bananas and such?

I saw Sleeper when I was very young and thought it was the greatest thing ever. I watched it a year or two ago and was underwhelmed for some reason.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Sand Monster posted:

Isn't the whole thing basically just a MacGuffin?

From what I understand, it pretty much is. We just need to know that Jerry is either stupid or desperate enough to believe that a "no-rough-stuff type deal" with two crooks could work and ultimately, from his perspective, no harm done.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

edit/quote.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 13, 2012

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Detective Thompson posted:

Sounds more like Malcolm McDowell to me, but I can't find anything to back that up.

Nah, it's some BBC voice-over guy. I recognise his voice from other historical docs.

Oh, and that old German guy in the clip, Jesus Christ...:smith:

E: Oh, and speaking of Allen, what's the consensus of what his last genuinely good film was? I've always had a soft spot for Everyone Says I Love You, but can appreciate it's a lightweight, but enjoyable, piece of fluff.

Allens career trajectory is fascinating. The man has gone through the sharpest decline of a major American artist that I can think of, and it all started about the time he started banging his step-daughter. I can't even watch the more recent films, they're just awful, Match Point was one of the worst things I've seen in years. At least he's stopped casting himself in roles opposite women 40 years younger who are throwing themselves at him.

Husbands and Wives might be his last solid piece of work and that was over 20 years ago.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 13, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BeigeJacket posted:

E: Oh, and speaking of Allen, what's the consensus of what his last genuinely good film was? I've always had a soft spot for Everyone Says I Love You, but can appreciate it's a lightweight, but enjoyable, piece of fluff.

Well the general consensus is that Match Point was pretty awesome (and I agree with said consensus).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

BeigeJacket posted:

Midnight in Paris is a top 3 Woody Allen movie to me.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Jesus christ, what is wrong with you people? Match Point was pretty bad (and I say that as someone who profited from its success), Scoop even worse, and while VCB was not a bad film per se, it sure as hell wasn't a good one either.

I have noticed that people from Britain, who have some idea of what life here is really like, think much, much less of Match Point than Americans (well, all foreigners) do. I think it is perhaps because it presents a view of British life that is consistent with an outsider's perception but actually bears not much resemblance to reality. Here, the film is laughable.

widunder
May 2, 2002

therattle posted:

Jesus christ, what is wrong with you people? Match Point was pretty bad (and I say that as someone who profited from its success), Scoop even worse, and while VCB was not a bad film per se, it sure as hell wasn't a good one either.

I have noticed that people from Britain, who have some idea of what life here is really like, think much, much less of Match Point than Americans (well, all foreigners) do. I think it is perhaps because it presents a view of British life that is consistent with an outsider's perception but actually bears not much resemblance to reality. Here, the film is laughable.
I think Match Point was massively overrated, Scoop wasn't very good and Whatever Works was atrocious, but both VCB and especially Midnight in Paris were both good fun.

E: Match Point got great reviews in Britain by the way.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

nemoulette posted:

I think Match Point was massively overrated, Scoop wasn't very good and Whatever Works was atrocious, but both VCB and especially Midnight in Paris were both good fun.

E: Match Point got great reviews in Britain by the way.

I've just checked some online reviews: both Guardian reviewers gave it 2/5, and the Telegraph review was pretty scathing. The Independent summarised it thusly: "There's a rumour being circulated that Match Point is a work of disturbing moral seriousness, but you'd have to be deranged, or American, to buy into its flimsy caricatures."I couldn't find a review in The Sun, but the Mirror's review began "Oh, Woody. Oh Woody, Woody, Woody. What were you thinking? Or, being brutal, were you thinking at all? It's the first week of the new year and already we have what could be the biggest stinker of 2006."
Time Out London said: "There was a time when Woody Allen’s dismissals of his own work as ‘mediocre’ and ‘miserable’ translated as false but endearing modesty. These days, they sound increasingly like confessions."
http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/82717/match-point.html
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv-entertainment/film/2006/01/06/match-point-115875-16550377/
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/match-point-15brexiles-15brjust-friends-12a-521713.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/3649152/Still-waiting-for-Woodys-comeback.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/3649152/Still-waiting-for-Woodys-comeback.html

No, I do not believe it got great reviews in Britain. Please note that I did not find positive UK reviews which I ignored - these were all the ones I searched for and found. :colbert:

widunder
May 2, 2002

therattle posted:

I've just checked some online reviews: both Guardian reviewers gave it 2/5, and the Telegraph review was pretty scathing. The Independent summarised it thusly: "There's a rumour being circulated that Match Point is a work of disturbing moral seriousness, but you'd have to be deranged, or American, to buy into its flimsy caricatures."I couldn't find a review in The Sun, but the Mirror's review began "Oh, Woody. Oh Woody, Woody, Woody. What were you thinking? Or, being brutal, were you thinking at all? It's the first week of the new year and already we have what could be the biggest stinker of 2006."
Time Out London said: "There was a time when Woody Allen’s dismissals of his own work as ‘mediocre’ and ‘miserable’ translated as false but endearing modesty. These days, they sound increasingly like confessions."
http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/82717/match-point.html
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv-entertainment/film/2006/01/06/match-point-115875-16550377/
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/match-point-15brexiles-15brjust-friends-12a-521713.html

No, I do not believe it got great reviews in Britain. Please note that I did not find positive UK reviews which I ignored - these were all the ones I searched for and found. :colbert:
Oops, you're right, or rather, the reviews you found were a lot more meritable than mine. Carry on.

E: On the subject of the actual movie, I think its "flimsy caricatures" is the least of its problems. Every Woody Allen movie set abroad (and in the US, arguably) is like that. It's almost like a movie convention that you have to come to accept, just like every one of his movies end with him, or someone standing in for him, running away with a girl far too young for his age.

widunder fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 13, 2012

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

quote:

There's a rumour being circulated that Match Point is a work of disturbing moral seriousness, but you'd have to be deranged, or American, to buy into its flimsy caricatures."

Sick burn, The Independent.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I just watched The Stuff, and it's a lot better than I thought it would be. Great cast, one of those goofy yet compelling concepts and just enough self-awareness to pull the whole thing off.

Is there anything else by Larry Cohen worth checking out? I watched It's Alive when I was a kid and remember disliking it, but it might be worth a revisit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

At the very least, It's Alive has a fantastic opening. I'd say its worth a watch.

I can't say it's a 'good' movie, but I have a real soft spot for Q: The Winged Serpent. Also, I haven't seen it, but I've heard very good things about God Told Me To.

Edit: Oh, and he didn't direct it, but apparently he wrote Maniac Cop, and that movie rules.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

God Told Me To is GREAT.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I thought Match Point was well-made, but the complete lack of subtlety in the ending kinda ruined it for me. I also didn't like how the wife was made to look like this naive buffoon because she doesn't agree with the protagonist's nihilism. I think it's a potential pitfall whenever you have adultery in a story, but it felt wrong.

Midnight in Paris was decent, though. No more subtle, but it felt more like a fun story and less like a thesis.

Hexum
Jul 23, 2003

In Batman Begins, after Batman saves a poisoned Rachel and drives through the city pancaking cop cars, he gives her the antidote for the poison and then says he is about to sedate her. He also gives her instructions for when he wakes up:

1) Take one of these antidotes and give it to Gordon to save himself.
2) Give the other to Gordon for him to mass produce.

Why doesn't he just mass produce it himself, how does he expect Gordon to get it produced, why doesn't he just deliver it to Gordon himself and not depend on a sedated and possibly still insane woman... I realize it's to further the plot but I think this is a big hole.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Hexum posted:

In Batman Begins, after Batman saves a poisoned Rachel and drives through the city pancaking cop cars, he gives her the antidote for the poison and then says he is about to sedate her. He also gives her instructions for when he wakes up:

1) Take one of these antidotes and give it to Gordon to save himself.
2) Give the other to Gordon for him to mass produce.

Why doesn't he just mass produce it himself, how does he expect Gordon to get it produced, why doesn't he just deliver it to Gordon himself and not depend on a sedated and possibly still insane woman... I realize it's to further the plot but I think this is a big hole.

You should probably move that to this thread, this isn't really the place for that kind of thing:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435382

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

God Told Me To is GREAT.

God Told Me To is loving great. I remember when The Dark Knight came out and thought it was really cool how the assassination scene is a straight rip from the scene with Andy Kaufman (!) in it.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I saw a production of West Side Story last night and enjoyed it, but was surprised by how much more explicit the play was than the movie. There was a lot more liberal use of racial slurs and the assault on Anita left less to be inferred.

I'm curious, was the original production toned down when they adapted it to a film, or have I seen a more modernized production?

Hibernator fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 18, 2012

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
How do American WW2 films fair in places like Europe? EG. Did Saving Private Ryan do well in Germany?

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
What was the first horror movie to use Creepy Little GirlsTM?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
probably The Shining

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It goes back to at least 1956 with The Bad Seed. Probably farther.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Village of the Damned was in '60, and that probably counts.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Rap Music and Dope posted:

How do American WW2 films fair in places like Europe? EG. Did Saving Private Ryan do well in Germany?

Saving Private Ryan did fantastic business in Germany, $28 million.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hard to tell. Saving Ryan's Privates did pretty well in Germany: 3.75m admissions compared to 4.1m in France, so broadly comparable.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

nocal posted:

I actually think it's a part of the brilliance of the movie to not make it explicit. It could be as simple as credit card debt, or as complex as a loan shark, but it's not a necessary part of the story.

I always assumed he was up to his eyeballs in debt simply because he was a loving terrible car salesman, but had to keep up his family's lifestyle to look like a big man in front of his father-in-law.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

They do pretty well in Denmark, but most people I know roll their eyes when they get too "AMERICA gently caress YEAH :911:"

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

penismightier posted:

It goes back to at least 1956 with The Bad Seed. Probably farther.

I've always assumed this is the one that started it all.

Very good movie, by the way. I like everything about it except that cheesy "curtain call" moment at the end.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

caiman posted:

I've always assumed this is the one that started it all.

Very good movie, by the way. I like everything about it except that cheesy "curtain call" moment at the end.

Was that ending pushed by the studio? It felt so incongruous with the tone of the film.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

I'm guessing you're asking about Germany because germans are the bad guys most of the time?
We know germans were the "bad guys" back then and I don't think that has any impact on the success of the movie at all. We might not agree with exaggeration like every little foot soldier being portrayed as head to toe-evil nazi, but that won't keep us from watching well made WW2 movies in general.

Saving Private Ryan was the 6th highest-grossing film in 1998 in Germany (#1 in the US), beaten only by Titanic (of course), Armageddon, Mulan, The Horse Whisperer and Dr. Doolittle.
Inglourious Basterds came in 15th in 2009 (#25 in the US).
Schindler's List (#9 in the US) and our very own Downfall (Der Untergang - #162 in the US) both were 5th highest-grossing in their respective years.
Band of Brothers is my and some of my friends all-time favorite (mini-)series and sold very well on DVD, too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Wild T posted:

Was that ending pushed by the studio? It felt so incongruous with the tone of the film.

I'm pretty sure it was a Code issue rather than the studio.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wild T posted:

In the ending to the novel, the mother dies from the gunshot, but the daughter still survives the poison. The bizarre 'death by lightning bolt' coda never happens. So, yeah, way darker.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

morestuff posted:

I'm pretty sure it was a Code issue rather than the studio.

This is correct. You were not allowed to "let evil go unpunished."

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

penismightier posted:

This is correct. You were not allowed to "let evil go unpunished."

I love movies from all decades, but my God the Hays code really hosed things up for about forty years.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

caiman posted:

I love movies from all decades, but my God the Hays code really hosed things up for about forty years.

Yeah, it did, but on the plus side it led to a few great things that never would've happened otherwise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu8JASfWb6A
"Hitchcock also devised "a celebrated scene"[3] that circumvented the Production Code's ban on kisses longer than three seconds — by having his actors disengage every three seconds, murmur and nuzzle each other, then start right back up again. The two-and-a-half minute osculation is "perhaps his most intimate and erotic kiss."[4]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The Hays Code at least forced writers to find ways around certain prohibited things, and some of them came up with some drat sharp stuff.