Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bloodly posted:

Depend: does anyone react to it, or does he have a unique start or end quote?

He doesn't look stupid anymore. That's reason enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Dren posted:

Is the OTG after a j.S after a launcher? After being hit by the j.S the opponent bounces a bit after hitting the ground for the hard knockdown. You may have to hit them while they're still a little bit in the air. That is, try hitting them with the OTG earlier.
Is there any reason to use Haggar's j.S over Wild Swing or air pipe? I only use it to sync up my air combo with hidden missiles without using my ground bounce. I was having the problem after wild swings and piledrivers.

Nate405 posted:

The c.H will start as soon as you hit the button, but the assist comes out when you release the button. Maybe you are varying how long you hold the buttons down slightly?
This has to be the problem, why exactly does it work that way?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Fenn the Fool! posted:

This has to be the problem, why exactly does it work that way?

because you hold the button to tag characters. You couldn't tag this way if assists were based on press instead of release.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Non-gameplay question: Does anyone have a link to the youtube video that's just a few minutes of Strange doing Spell of Vishanti while Read a Book plays?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

The Rokstar posted:

The Spencer alt costume is out now, why in the world is this thread talking about ANYTHING else right now.

Because have you seen what happens when Haggar does a Lariat in his alt? His ponytail swings around like a helicopter blade.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Viscant was on Wake Up SRK again to talk UMvC3:
http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/11/wakeup-shoryuken-e085-viscant-on-the-first-two-months-of-ultimate

I'm an hour in and it's him talking about what he thinks about characters. His top two tiers:
-Zero, Wesker, Spencer, Doom, Dormammu, Viper
-Phoenix, Wolverine, Hawkeye, Dante, Vergil, Taskmaster, Magneto, Super Skrull, Strider, Firebrand, Felicia

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Boxman posted:

Non-gameplay question: Does anyone have a link to the youtube video that's just a few minutes of Strange doing Spell of Vishanti while Read a Book plays?

R E A D A B O OKAY

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TaurusOxford posted:

He doesn't look stupid anymore. That's reason enough.

He didn't look stupid to begin with.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

He didn't look stupid to begin with.

He looked like every Nu-Metal band from 1998 to 2003.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
In Spencer combo videos I always see people hit a bionic arm and then do armor piercer as the other guy is coming back down from the bionic arm into another bionic arm. How the heck do you do that? It seems like Spencer doesn't recover fast enough to do anything after the first bionic arm unless it's an OTG.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Spacing bionic lancer such that it just grazes the bottom of their hitbox pops them higher in the air, allowing for followups like armor piercer xx another bionic lancer. It's purely the stuff of combo videos though.

Flying High
Jan 7, 2010
Here is some new Anti-Phoenix tech that fubarduck tweeted about earlier, it looks useful, but I need to try it out to see how useful it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-oGF4sW1vI

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Flying High posted:

Here is some new Anti-Phoenix tech that fubarduck tweeted about earlier, it looks useful, but I need to try it out to see how useful it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-oGF4sW1vI

The video presents three options for the Phoenix player:
1. Guess that they will XFC and attempt to counter the first exchange
2. Guess that they will XFC and counter the second exchange which must be a side exchange
3. Guess that they will not XFC and counter the side exchange

Lets say that there is a 50% probability of an XFC. Lets also say that there is a 25% probability of each direction being hit in the canceled exchange.

Here are the probabilities of breaking the exchange:
code:
1. (Chance that they will XFC) * (Chance you break the any direction exchange before the XFC)
   (50%) * (33%) = 16.67%
2. (Chance that they will XFC) * (Chance you break the side exchange)
   (50%) * (100%) = 50%
3. (Chance that they will not XFC) * (Chance you break the side exchange)
   (50%) * (100%) = 50%
Option number 1, guessing that they will XFC and attempt to counter the first exchange, presents significantly worse odds than options 2 and 3. Options 2 and 3 offer an equal probability of an exchange break whether or not the XFC is used. The choice, then, is between options 2 and 3 and amounts to whether or not x-factor will be used.

If you use this technique outside of Phoenix and therefore do not limit the second exchange to a left or right exchange the aerial exchange becomes more inescapable.

Here are the probabilities if the second exchange is not limited to left or right:
code:
1. (Chance that they will XFC) * (Chance you break the any direction exchange before the XFC)
   (50%) * (33%) = 16.67%
2. (Chance that they will XFC) * (Chance you break the any direction exchange after the XFC)
   (50%) * (33%) = 16.67%
3. (Chance that they will not XFC) * (Chance you break the any direction exchange)
   (50%) * (33%) = 16.67%
A 16.67% chance is a 1 in 6 chance.

This technique seems like it has potential for easy one touch kills when used during your opening combo.

Dren fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 12, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
There's only 3 directions you can exchange to, not 4.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Jmcrofts posted:

There's only 3 directions you can exchange to, not 4.

Up down left right am I missing something?

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
Side aerial exchanges can be countered with either left or right, so 3, not 4.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Kanpachi posted:

Side aerial exchanges can be countered with either left or right, so 3, not 4.

Wow I did not know that I will fix the math.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

iPodschun posted:

Viscant was on Wake Up SRK again to talk UMvC3:
http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/11/wakeup-shoryuken-e085-viscant-on-the-first-two-months-of-ultimate

I'm an hour in and it's him talking about what he thinks about characters. His top two tiers:
-Zero, Wesker, Spencer, Doom, Dormammu, Viper
-Phoenix, Wolverine, Hawkeye, Dante, Vergil, Taskmaster, Magneto, Super Skrull, Strider, Firebrand, Felicia

Thank you for this, I don't usually listen to the podcast, but I could listen to Viscant talk about fighting games all day.

I think it's really interesting that the first thing Viscant says about Zero is that he counters XFGC with his buster. It's a cool point and one that I hadn't really thought about. He makes me want to pick Zero up. Is the SRK subforum for him not a cesspool, and if it is, what's a decent combo for him for someone who isn't great at execution?

EDIT: Viscant also gives a great rebuttal to "X character isn't top tier because he doesn't win majors" at about 53 minutes in.

EDIT again to avoid the double post - I never ever watch streamchat, so it caught me off guard when Viscant mentions that MastaCJ gets a lot of hate for his Dorm play consisting of teleport ADDF S. Is there really that much hate? I fuckin love his Dorm and wish mine was that mobile.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 12, 2012

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Boxman posted:

EDIT again to avoid the double post - I never ever watch streamchat, so it caught me off guard when Viscant mentions that MastaCJ gets a lot of hate for his Dorm play consisting of teleport ADDF S. Is there really that much hate? I fuckin love his Dorm and wish mine was that mobile.

Spooky and Haks were talking about this last night at Big Two. It's basically because it's sort of a vortex situation and it's not all that hard to setup, so people think MastaCJ is just being cheap or something. Viscant is familiar with that, he had to hear the same bullshit with his Wesker/assist mixups.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Boxman posted:

Thank you for this, I don't usually listen to the podcast, but I could listen to Viscant talk about fighting games all day.

Same here, Viscant was always my favorite SRK poster. :allears:

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010
Rocket Raccoon's hitbox is so small that Strider's formation B can't OTG him :stare:

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Dias posted:

Spooky and Haks were talking about this last night at Big Two. It's basically because it's sort of a vortex situation and it's not all that hard to setup, so people think MastaCJ is just being cheap or something. Viscant is familiar with that, he had to hear the same bullshit with his Wesker/assist mixups.

Sanford Kelly was at Bum's house when CJ wiped the loving floor with everyone in the room and left. As soon as he left, Sanford talked about how lovely this game is because CJ is good at it with his teleport/Estaka mix-up and was basically making GBS threads on CJ the whole time, while Dieminion in stream chat was also talking about how pro players don't respect his play.

If you watched the last Big Two you can see some remnants of this when Dieminion beat CJ in losers, he popped off and he apparently never does that.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Xuuel posted:

Rocket Raccoon's hitbox is so small that Strider's formation B can't OTG him :stare:

Unfortunately Rocky's attacks have small hitboxes as well. Unlike Ammy, who has a small body and gigantic weapon hitboxes.

InnercityGriot posted:

Sanford Kelly was at Bum's house when CJ wiped the loving floor with everyone in the room and left. As soon as he left, Sanford talked about how lovely this game is because CJ is good at it with his teleport/Estaka mix-up and was basically making GBS threads on CJ the whole time, while Dieminion in stream chat was also talking about how pro players don't respect his play.

If you watched the last Big Two you can see some remnants of this when Dieminion beat CJ in losers, he popped off and he apparently never does that.

link to the sanford kelly rant. That's always funny.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
It's here, somewhere I guess: http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3/videos?kind=past_broadcasts

It's one of the pre-apex ones, but I can't be hosed to figure out which video it's in.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Welp. I stopped playing for a few months and now I'm going to have to struggle just to get back to my previous level of scrubbiness. This game requires so much practice to be good at :(

Flying High
Jan 7, 2010
If you need someone to play dorkasaurus rex you can practice with me, I am okay at the game and I can help you out with practice also, just sent me a friend request to GT: Zerms

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
EDIT: nevermidn im dumb

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher

InnercityGriot posted:

Dieminion complaining about another player's lame playstyle? :monocle:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Flying High posted:

If you need someone to play dorkasaurus rex you can practice with me, I am okay at the game and I can help you out with practice also, just sent me a friend request to GT: Zerms

I only have my PS3 set up at the moment but tomorrow I'll have my 360 working here too and I'll gladly take you up on that! I just have to get my 360 stick modded to have an eight way gate...

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
Cj bodying the house of crack.

http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3/b/304666908

Starting at 29:45

It's Marvel baby!

edit: Yeah, Noel goes after him right away with the commentary with "triangle jump s" all game.
edit2: Noel transcribes Sanford's rant at 51:30, take everything Noel says with a grain of salt.

Sufficient fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 13, 2012

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Sufficient posted:

It's Marvel baby!

edit: Yeah, Noel goes after him right away with the commentary with "triangle jump s" all game.
edit2: Noel transcribes Sanford's rant at 51:30, take everything Noel says with a grain of salt.

Sanford Kelly: taking his ball and going home.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Yeah I guess everybody is really sick of losing to CJ, he does the same mixup and that's easy to setup and balls hard to block right and even if you get past that he still Mr. XF4 waiting for you.

Although ever since Apex, CJ lost pretty badly to Chris G every time they run into each other, which means people are starting to deal with it I guess. Or maybe Chris G is just super super smart I dunno.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.
I guess I lose the competition since I have to reference back to good old Sir David Lin when he was fighting some alpha 3 chun and got the low strong nickname from. I'm pretty sure he admitted that if whoever the chun player was figured out how to get past him spamming crouching strong then he'd have instantly lost because he knew he was being as lame as he could and knew no other way to fight said chun player or something.

I sometimes hate the game for having such amazingly strong and simple setups going on, but this game feels a lot like "Do your bullshit to the other guy before they can do it to you" so I don't know how there is so much hate for one particular setup in a game that is pretty much built to be totally bullshit so everyone playing this game just has to be as lame and cheap as they possibly can.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Fishmonkey posted:

Masta CJ doesn't play lame hth

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Fishmonkey posted:

Apparently (again, from that episode of Wakeup SRK) there was a Dieminion/CJ match where Dieminion hit CJ out of an airdash with a voomerang, CJ teched forward with S, Dieminion hits CJ with Voomerang, repeat like 4 times, then Dieminion stopped doing the exact same thing and got hit and killed by CJ's Dorm.

I love that poo poo, I love Dorm. :allears: They're right that CJ's play pretty well shows off how Marvel 3 is pretty screwy though.

Also the built in spell checker is going ballistic at this post.

EDIT: What is the estaka thing, anyway?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 13, 2012

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Boxman posted:

EDIT: What is the estaka thing, anyway?
It's just a Chris Hu-ism. Magneto's disruptor.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Sufficient posted:

It's Marvel baby!

Watching this right now

god drat Bum :worship:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm looking try a different third for me Hawkeye/Vergil team. I feel pretty comfortable with zoning with Hawkeye, and my Vergil is decent. For the third spot I have tried Sentinel, Doom, and Dr. Strange. I think I like strange the best with his eye of agamatto assist. I'm looking for someone with a good ranged assist or one that helps defend, but he himself is good offensively in case that's needed. Taskmaster maybe?

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm looking try a different third for me Hawkeye/Vergil team. I feel pretty comfortable with zoning with Hawkeye, and my Vergil is decent. For the third spot I have tried Sentinel, Doom, and Dr. Strange. I think I like strange the best with his eye of agamatto assist. I'm looking for someone with a good ranged assist or one that helps defend, but he himself is good offensively in case that's needed. Taskmaster maybe?

As viscant recommended, wesker is best friends with vergil. Use him for his otg gunshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If you're looking for a defensive assist, can I suggest Hulk? His anti-air assist is actually pretty safe, and with Hawkeye you can actually follow it up with arrows. Not to mention on point, especially with Hawkeye on assist, his gamma wave is an excellent zoning tool.

On offensive, Hulk is Hulk. Nothing to be trifled with. He's surprisingly flexible, considering he's a grappler type. You have to learn to use all his tools well and mix it up: his charges, gamma wave, and command grab. But once you do, he's pretty sick.

Gamma Waving someone again and again, only for them to try to jump/teleport into his anti-air super for 400k damage is priceless.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 13, 2012

• Locked thread