Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Thoogsby posted:

The 4S + Snapseed is awesome.

I love that stuff. Releasing the kraken has never tasted so good.

Cool shot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Got my hands on an iPad finally, so I've been using Photogene to post process my photos and my GOD, the bigger screen makes such a HUGE difference in working with the stuff.

I mean, here's me post processing on the tiny iPhone 4s screen:

And here I am on the iPad:

Granted, I don't know particularly what I'm doing, but I think I'm capable of a decent shot every once in a while.

Is there any good iPad apps that'll help you not only upload images to Flickr, but also gain a little attention for your photos? I take so many photos, it gets tiresome adding a ton of tags and descriptions to everything and then I end up with only 2 likes.

89 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 27, 2011

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

89 posted:

Is there any good iPad apps that'll help you not only upload images to Flickr, but also gain a little attention for your photos? I take so many photos, it gets tiresome adding a ton of tags and descriptions to everything and then I end up with only 2 likes.
Not sure of any apps that will do the legwork for you, but Flickr Groups are your friend - search for groups that fit the styles you tend to shoot, the cameras you use most, even the image format (ex: square crop) you prefer to output in and join them. Then as you post images to Flickr, make sure you submit the images to whichever groups are appropriate based on the content. I recently experimented with increasing my Flickr presence by joining some groups and found my hit count jumping from less than 70 hits/day up to over 300 hits yesterday. It's no guarantee of getting favorited, that still depends on what you take and how people respond to it, but it at least increases your chance of getting some views.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

HPL posted:

More messing around with Hipstamatic.

LOVE both of these so much! Cheers!!!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

krackmonkey posted:

LOVE both of these so much! Cheers!!!

Thanks. Shooting black and white film made me think about line and form a lot more than when I was shooting only colour.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

89 posted:

Granted, I don't know particularly what I'm doing, but I think I'm capable of a decent shot every once in a while.

Go for a level horizon once in a while, life isn't a Batman episode.

Your family snapshots are pretty good, maybe a tiny bit too much saturation but they have a nice vintage feel to them so I think it works.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

xzzy posted:

Go for a level horizon once in a while, life isn't a Batman episode.

Your family snapshots are pretty good, maybe a tiny bit too much saturation but they have a nice vintage feel to them so I think it works.
Could you elaborate more? (Really, I have no guidance at all whatsoever on this stuff).

Yeah, the colors were intended to be a little warmer for the holiday feel. My goal in my mind is to adapt the photos to how I and/or the atmosphere felt when I took them.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

I never noticed this thread somehow. I took this back in October. Instagram is fun.

Pumpkin Patch by Some Jerk With A Camera, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

89 posted:

Could you elaborate more? (Really, I have no guidance at all whatsoever on this stuff).

Tilting the camera so that the horizon isn't level (or verticals aren't straight up and down) tends to create a sense of drama or urgency in a scene. If it's an action shot and you want to convey speed, it is a useful technique to help make something look fast. It's generally referred to as a dutch tilt, and was used extensively in the original batman tv show (which is how most people recognize it). Forests, on the other hand, aren't very dramatic. Same goes for a parked car.. stationary scenes on a tilted camera make everything feel like it's about to tip over.

If you're encountering situations where something you take a picture of feels "boring" without doing a tilt, it's usually a problem with composition.. the scene isn't interesting, or the photo's subject is not obvious.

Tempest815
Oct 7, 2006

FALCON PUNCH!!

xzzy posted:

Tilting the camera so that the horizon isn't level (or verticals aren't straight up and down) tends to create a sense of drama or urgency in a scene. If it's an action shot and you want to convey speed, it is a useful technique to help make something look fast. It's generally referred to as a dutch tilt, and was used extensively in the original batman tv show (which is how most people recognize it). Forests, on the other hand, aren't very dramatic. Same goes for a parked car.. stationary scenes on a tilted camera make everything feel like it's about to tip over.

If you're encountering situations where something you take a picture of feels "boring" without doing a tilt, it's usually a problem with composition.. the scene isn't interesting, or the photo's subject is not obvious.

See I've always been taught/used (or intentionally not used) a dutch very slight to give a sense of "wrong". For that see the opening hospital bit of 28 Days Later. Most of my photography is in abandoned/crumbling poo poo so just a little off highlights the how unnatural it is. Or, alternatively, a level shot of an empty living room covered in dust is ALSO really unsettling.

I guess you could file that under "drama" too.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

my awesome girlfriend gave me a 4s for christmas.

for some reason flickr recognizes it as an iphone 3g though.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Snapseed for iOS is free at the moment :)
http://appshopper.com/photography/snapseed-for-ipad (universal version)

Edit:

Antwerp Station on Flickr

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 31, 2011

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

FLX posted:

Snapseed for iOS is free at the moment :)
http://appshopper.com/photography/snapseed-for-ipad (universal version)
Thanks, just grabbed it.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Cowboy Hate Crimes by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
iPhone 4s using snapseed. Just going to mirror that if you haven't gotten it for free go do so.

Ice by Sensitometry, on Flickr

Edit: so I just learned by pure accident that the volume plus button on the headset can capture an image and function like a short remote for candid street photography.

Tigertron fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 4, 2012

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Real Monsters by Some Jerk With A Camera, on Flickr

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

IMG_0481 by vee-why, on Flickr

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Man, there are some great shots in this thread. I shouldn't be surprised though. If you combine a good photographer with a readily available aperture you're bound to get something interesting.

Here are my oddball contributions. They are all "macro" shots that I got with my crappy old LG not-quite-smart phone and an ancient Agfa magnifying lens.

http://brimofobscurity.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/whorl.jpg

http://brimofobscurity.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/droplet.jpg

http://brimofobscurity.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/tinywildlife.jpg

http://brimofobscurity.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/agfasilette.jpg

dema
Aug 13, 2006

89 posted:

Got my hands on an iPad finally, so I've been using Photogene to post process my photos and my GOD, the bigger screen makes such a HUGE difference in working with the stuff.

[...]

Are you using something to make a collage photo like this? Does Photogene do it? edit; never mind, I see that it does.

quote:

Yeah, the flickr client. Best way to get people to look at your photos is to be an active part of the community. Comment on and like other people's photos that you like.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

dema posted:

Best way to get people to look at your photos is to be an active part of the community. Comment on and like other people's photos that you like.

Yeah this. Join a bunch of groups and add your photos to those groups.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

dema posted:

I'd like to do some shots like this, but when I've tried it feels really twitchy way before I'm ready to press the shutter.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Angel Island by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Krista in Angel Island by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

brandino posted:

Angel Island by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

I looove the processing on this, what did you use?

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Thanks man. It's just good ol' Instagram - the Sutro filter.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Forgot a couple more:

My grandmother, Kernersville, NC by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Angel Island, skating by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wait you live in Kernersville? I live in Winston-Salem and work in Greensboro!

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

QPZIL posted:

Wait you live in Kernersville? I live in Winston-Salem and work in Greensboro!

haahah awesome, someone that knows where Kernersville is. I live in California now, but used to live in Charlotte and still have family there and around the Winston-Salem area.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

10x Loupe + iPhone camera == bitching macro lens.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm impressed how the highlights came out in that grandma photo. Usually when there's a lot of light and shadow like that, camera phones tend to bail on the highlights in favour of shadow detail.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

http://olloclip.com/

just ordered an olloclip for my 4s. Blowing $70 on a phone accessory makes me feel kind of moronic but some of the results in the flickr pool are really nice.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Augmented Dickey posted:

http://olloclip.com/

just ordered an olloclip for my 4s. Blowing $70 on a phone accessory makes me feel kind of moronic but some of the results in the flickr pool are really nice.

It is worth what you get out of it. Report back with what you think.

Wal-Mart Readymade by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Wal-Mart Readymade by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Some found parking lot compositions that I liked.

Untitled by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Couple of candids.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Conway Watertower #triptic by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

iPhone 4, HDR Pro, Snapseed and Diptic.

God I love having so many great photography apps on my iPhone.

longway_fromhome
Nov 19, 2004

Oak Creek Canyon Sedona, AZ by afitzu, on Flickr

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

echobucket posted:

Conway Watertower #triptic by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

iPhone 4, HDR Pro, Snapseed and Diptic.

God I love having so many great photography apps on my iPhone.
Arkansas?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

the olloclip came in! so far I've only played with the macro attachment.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

89 posted:

Arkansas?

Yep

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

echobucket posted:

Yep
Crazy. Hey, neighbor!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I drove through a tiny corner of Arkansas a few months back, first time for me being that far south. I did route 59 from Missouri to Siloam Springs, and it was terrifying.

Late at night, was pissing rain, and apparently you Arkansas types get bored halfway through building roads because I drove several miles where rock walls were literally hanging over the road. Giant two ton slabs of rock were just chilling in the ditch, making me wonder if I was going to get crushed by another piece falling off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Pressure by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Beauty Aisle by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr