Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Robawesome posted:

Is it only in certain states that you can drive a salvage title? I'm pretty sure once a car is totaled out it can't be registered and driven in Ontario (i'm pretty sure)

In Ontario, a car with a salvage title cannot be driven or registered. You have to repair it, get it inspected, and then it's given a Rebuilt title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Mighty Horse posted:

After its already been retitled, the only other drawback is if the car gets wrecked, insurance companies will ALWAYS try to royally gently caress you on the value.

Which is completely justifiable. The car at that point has already been paid off at least once and if you get into another wreck, there could be structural questions that arise from the first total loss.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

We dont have safety inspections here in Connecticut either except for salvage titles so you should check for that in Minnesota if you do find a diamond in the rough.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Tongsy posted:

In Ontario, a car with a salvage title cannot be driven or registered. You have to repair it, get it inspected, and then it's given a Rebuilt title.

Ahh, i wasn't aware we even had the option of repairing frame damage and re-registering. Good to know.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/2791608241.html

Friend found this today while perusing for a bike.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Cygni posted:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/2791608241.html

Friend found this today while perusing for a bike.

Is this a case of life imitating art again?

Weird Al posted:

You've got a '65 Chevy Malibu
With automatic drive
A custom paint job, too

I'll trade you for my old wheelbarrow
And a slightly used sombrero
And I'll even throw in a stapler, if you insist...

Craigslist!
I'm on Craiglist, baby, come on!
Yeah!

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
A little bit more on the salvage / repair titles. This BC :canada: information, but may cross over to other places. When a vehicle is "written off" by ICBC for whatever reason, it will be put into one of two categories before it heads to the auction. Salvage or Dismantle only. With salvage, you are able to fix the vehicle from whatever state it is in to the point where it will pass inspection. When you go to register the vehicle, it will have a "Repaired" status. Dismantle only is just as it sounds - It can only be sold for the use of parts or scrap. Strangely enough, you can cut up the good bits from DO cars and use them to repair salvage titles. Also, if your vehicle was stolen and not recovered within 30 days, but is recovered later the vehicle will be written off and be DO.

I briefly worked for a shop that was located next to a recycler that bought only DO cars and cut them into non mangled bits for other shops to use to fix other written off vehicles. The worst part was seeing the flat deck roll by with new cars that had "BLOOD" written on the window.

rkl
Jan 8, 2012

Don't give me a jerkoff handjob.
MECHANIC'S SPECIAL. just a blown head gasket and unspecified front end damage! don't let this one get away!

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/2780502717.html

rkl fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 13, 2012

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

But its in clean condition AND well condition!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
FIVE HUNNERT HORSEPOWER.

Does coilovers mean the air suspension is gone?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
These wheels showed up on craigslist a few weeks ago...

So I called the guy up and asked when I could come see [read: probably buy] the wheels. He said that they were still on the car and that we could meet somewhere. I then asked why they were still on the car, and when could he have them ready for sale. I got a sketchy answer and ceased contact.

Several days later I checked the listing again and he had dropped his asking price by $100. Guess why.

craigslist posted:

Enkei RPF1 Gold 17x8 +45 5x114.3

As the title states, I am selling 4 used (no tires) Enkei RPF1 in gold color, 17x8 +45offset 5x114.3 w/ red valve stems (missing one) and red Enkei decals. Wheels are in good condition; minor rock chips; no bends or curbs; 7/10.

$700 OBO takes it. Cash only!

Text/Call

-Tommy

Tags: Wheels, Enkei, RPF1, Civic, Si, Honda, 8th gen, 8thcivic, 17" wheels, 5x114.3, gold.

Craigslist posted:

Enkei RPF1 Gold 17x8 +45 5x114.3

I am selling 4 used Enkei RPF1 in gold color, 17x8 +45offset 5x114.3 w/ red valve stems (missing one) and red Enkei decals. Wheels are in good condition; minor rock chips; minor bend and rash on one wheel. 6-7/10 condition on all wheels. NO TIRES INCLUDED.

$600 OBO takes it. Cash only!

Text/Call

-Tommy

Tags: Wheels, Enkei, RPF1, Civic, Si, Honda, 8th gen, 8thcivic, 17" wheels, 5x114.3, gold.

rkl
Jan 8, 2012

$4100 for a running mgb with the lucas bits replaced.

Someone get Rodney Anonymous on the phone, I found a bitchin' Camaro.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

rkl posted:

$4100 for a running mgb with the lucas bits replaced.

HAHA :airquote:driver:airquote:

The same could be said of most British cars of that era when they were new.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
http://sierravista.craigslist.org/cto/2781590250.html

I've never even heard of this model of Mustang before today.

rkl
Jan 8, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's not a mustang, its a Dodge Charger. One of the 1980s ones that everyone forgot about, with good reason. Think of it as the Mustang II, w/o the rad vinyls. They made an OMNI GLS too. That one's collectible... this however, is a steaming turd with go-fast bits attached. Contrary to the seller's claims, it'll never be worth a lot, even when Carrol Shelby dies. No one is clamoring for these.

rkl fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 13, 2012

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Booblord Zagats posted:

Well you still haven't because that is mopar muscle. Buy it up.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

FIVE HUNNERT HORSEPOWER.

Does coilovers mean the air suspension is gone?

One of the least reliable cars in the last 10 years, somehow made less reliable. I still want to drive it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
At first I was like :barf: but then I saw the DeWALT hat and disco ball. That changes everything

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

Why must people do this to such an absurd extent? Brain damage? The stick-on portholes on the interior of the doors is a wonderful styling touch however. Maybe his mom suggested it while he was in her basement on the internet 'looking for a job'.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 14, 2012

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I am loving the wheel size to rotor size ratio on that picture.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
All the way from 2 pages back and then weeks ago before that.

ExplodingSims posted:

and when I think of tow trucks, I think of sexy:
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/2752841131.html

Hashal posted:

I think this wins the entire thread.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is the most amazing thing ever.

Leperflesh posted:

Goddamnit people, take a screenshot. Whatever this was, it's gone now.

I noticed a bunch of people saying how cool it was and nobody took a screenshot. I did and then forgot about it. You sir are lucky.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

Mighty Horse posted:

It really depends on the car. I drive a "salvage" '02 Chrysler 300M "Special"

It was in a minor front end accident and totaled. The Headlights were both crushed, front bumper cover broken, rad support bent and ECM crushed.

Because its a "Special" it has HID's and a front bumper cover different from the normal 300m, and is extremely hard to find salvage parts for, so all of this had to be dealer sourced. $3000 worth of Chrysler OEM Headlights and a $2800 front clip, and super crazy fun Chrysler depreacation had the insurance company total it.

I'm happy because I am driving around in a car that cost $38,000 new for $5000 with 60K on it.

But.....must of the time "minor accident" translates into took the front from a stolen car and welded into this one which was ran into a bridge abutment at 130 MPH.

Or a outright stolen car VIN Swap.

This is so stupid and incorrect. I am in collision repair, as well as rebuilding salvage title cars for resale. My father has done it for more than 30 years and I have over 10 years experience. That is largely a myth since the early 90's in most places except larger cities. Most places that are honest (you almost have to be to stay in business) buy refurbished/aftermarket/repair damaged parts. I generally try to buy parts cars to fix the cars I buy. But I fix mostly fords so I always need for parts. Using stolen parts/cars/vins doesn't work as easily and smoothly as it used to apparently. I've never done it, but I've known about people who did that got caught. Don't just be a mouth breathing idiot, don't talk about poo poo you don't know anything about.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
From Bring a Trailer:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/2798063724.html

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Looks like a hosed up CRX

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

rkl posted:

It's not a mustang, its a Dodge Charger. One of the 1980s ones that everyone forgot about, with good reason. Think of it as the Mustang II, w/o the rad vinyls. They made an OMNI GLS too. That one's collectible... this however, is a steaming turd with go-fast bits attached. Contrary to the seller's claims, it'll never be worth a lot, even when Carrol Shelby dies. No one is clamoring for these.

Whaaaaat? You've obviously never owned or gotten a ride in one of these. Now, nobody's arguing that Chrysler was pumpin' out anything special in the 80s, but these cars were the only decent thing to come out of the Pentastar in the dismal performance years of the 80s decade. This is the definition of sport compact, in fact, in an interview with Motor Trend not to long ago Carrol Shelby said the GLH was one of, if not the, favorite cars he'd produced over the years.

The Turbo II 2.2L turbo 4 in this makes 174/175 stock, and with about $1000 in parts can be pushed well over 300. All the internals are forged so it has no problem with 15psi plus. Stock 1/4 mile time was right around 15, though the factory claimed 14.7. With Koni's at all 4 corners it can pull .88g on a skid pad. Collectable, maybe not, but there's an entire community of people scrambling to save these cars.

I wish like hell I hadn't sold my '88 Daytona Shelby Z, it was a few hundred pounds heavier than the Charger GLHS, but that aforementioned $1000 of bolt-ons still brought a 13.3 1/4 on street tires, it was also fun as hell to drive. I also bought it for $500. That's the best part about these cars, they're cheap, they're quick and there's at least one in every junkyard in America, so parts are plentiful.

I apologize for the diatribe, but drat do I love these cars. The little Omni GLHS outperforms a '66 Shelby GT350 Mustang in every way, and you can get one for about $95,000 less.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You're totally right. The Shelby Z was an object of unbridled lust in my high school years, immediately prior to the Honda sport compact scene really taking off. I remember one guy was super excited to be buying his Rampage, only to find out that it was in a farmers' field and had birds nesting in it.

Other turbo K-cars were really popular because of local enthusiasts; I always just figured it was a regional thing as it seemed like those cars were damp squibs down in the North American trendsetter of "car culture," California. Even today there's a few terrifyingly fast turbo Caravans kicking around (and even one group of people who have swapped SRT4 drivetrains into more recent Caravans).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 15, 2012

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, that Charger is awesome and I wish I could buy it. If I could go out there and grab it, I'd give him $3500, no doubt about it.

Oh and here's why people love Turbo Chryslers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAtudjCZ8xw

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

I apologize for the diatribe, but drat do I love these cars. The little Omni GLHS outperforms a '66 Shelby GT350 Mustang in every way, and you can get one for about $95,000 less.

I am not making light of the Omni, but I will point out that a '66 GT350 has the same 0-60 as a modern minivan.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

wat

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
^^ I just snarfed my coffee. thanks.

It's bad enough that I'm hungover still. But then I tried to read this and my brain just deflated. :psyboom:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Real gold?

I need some opinions from the peanut gallery on this one:

No lucas injection, so that's a plus...

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No lucas injection, so that's a plus...

Don't start dancing down the aisles; Its twin SUs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tai-Pan posted:

Don't start dancing down the aisles; Its twin SUs.

Yeah not for long it's not, I'm gonna throw some bike carbs on it.

...kidding, of course. I think I'd probably do a weber conversion right off.

all in all though, aren't these the jags that DON'T suck?
The 4.2 gets more than 100mi to the quart(oil) right?

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

I think they're classy as gently caress, even in matte green paint.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rontalvos posted:

How many daddy issues does she have? Because to find a girl... any girl to pose with a nasty ol tow truck must have them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How many daddy issues does she have? Because to find a girl... any girl to pose with a nasty ol tow truck must have them.

If you don't think that truck is sexier then that girl then all I can say is get out of AI.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
25k for a Civic that was clearly vandalized by the mentally handicapped?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Maybe it's her tow truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

krysmopompas posted:

25k for a Civic that was clearly vandalized by the mentally handicapped?

I want to crushcrushcrush that car