Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

i was just being hyperbolic about an episode i liked when i was a kid

i remember watching that episode after learning about the xenu thing in scientology a couple years ago and just being confused as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NINbuntu 64 posted:

i remember watching that episode after learning about the xenu thing in scientology a couple years ago and just being confused as poo poo

it's all true

if you want the full experience man up and sign on with Sea Org

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

i was just being hyperbolic about an episode i liked when i was a kid

"Everyone, get down on the floor!!"
- Deanna Troi

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Transporters in Trek exist because TOS didn't have a budget high enough to show people taking shuttles down to planets every week. Any attempt to make them internally consistent is doomed to failure because they were literally plot devices.

I've got this paperback "making of star trek" book that was published while TOS was still on the air and it is loving fascinating, since it was before everybody started taking it so goddamn seriously.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

Transporters in Trek exist because TOS didn't have a budget high enough to show people taking shuttles down to planets every week. Any attempt to make them internally consistent is doomed to failure because they were literally plot devices.

I've got this paperback "making of star trek" book that was published while TOS was still on the air and it is loving fascinating, since it was before everybody started taking it so goddamn seriously.

this is a dumb opinion to have because you can still make them internally consistent by outlining their functionality after their first appearance provided they dont do anything too crazy like transport a duck, a turkey, and a chicken to make a turducken

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

i too have serious opinions about transporter canon

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

yeah man who cares about internal consistency *car horn changes functionality each time you use it*

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

NINbuntu 64 posted:

yeah man who cares about internal consistency *car horn changes functionality each time you use it*

i would be okay with my car horn surprising me with "la cucaracha" every now and again. i don't know how this would help me during intergalactic battles though.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

fork bomb posted:

i would be okay with my car horn surprising me with "la cucaracha" every now and again. i don't know how this would help me during intergalactic battles though.

no, every so often the car horn would trap you in a bizarre fantasy world where everyone thinks youre dead or create an evil clone of you or create a new car out of antimatter that would destroy your car or let wesley crusher drive

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

no, a ghost mind-raped her in to being a ghost robot for the polar ghosts until they used the bdsm ray to re-rape the federation philosophy into her betazed hotbrains... pbffff

I, TOO KNOW THE TERRIBLE PAIN OF LOSS. THE HOLLOWNESS ONE FEELS WHEN ONE IS JUST GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS OF LIFE. LIKE A LIVING GHOST, OR A ROBOT.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

the holodeck is ridiculously dangerous, slightest electrical glitch or hack and it turns into a deathtrap murder room.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

NINbuntu 64 posted:

you mean my make-believe scifi space car horn or my regular one?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

I, TOO KNOW THE TERRIBLE PAIN OF LOSS. THE HOLLOWNESS ONE FEELS WHEN ONE IS JUST GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS OF LIFE. LIKE A LIVING GHOST, OR A ROBOT.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Heresiarch posted:

please post interesting and/or funny things from it, tia.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
the holodeck owns because its basically like a piece of 32nd century technology in that it is way, WAY more advanced than everything else they have

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
its like imagine watching a show about camelot and for the most part its pretty medieval, lots of knights and sorcery and such. and then king arthur is like "morgan le fey is in the barrowlands, we must capture her!" all the knights pour out of the castle and suddenly hop into jeeps and they all peel out and take off

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Computer, make me a table

*wooden dining table appears*

No, make it a metal table

*table changes into an alien torture table*

holodeck is just a plot device room with zero rules

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can't believe they didn't just give users some kind of handheld emergency stop button they could press when holographic moriarty tried to stab them or whatever

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

law abiding rapist posted:

Computer, make me a table

*wooden dining table appears*

No, make it a metal table

*table changes into an alien torture table*

holodeck is just a plot device room with zero rules

Computer, test going warp 10

*skips part that turns you into a lizard*

Man, Voyager loving sucked.

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

I can't believe they didn't just give users some kind of handheld emergency stop button they could press when holographic moriarty tried to stab them or whatever

I'm convinced that most people had no clue how they worked. Nog seemed to be the only one who had half a clue.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

star trek is like a show where somehow we forgot all about theoretical physics and just decided to start testing everything practically.

with human test subjects.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

star trek is like a show where somehow we forgot all about theoretical physics and just decided to start testing everything practically.

with human test subjects.

i'm down with this, just make sure people sign a waiver

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

duTrieux posted:

i'm down with this, just make sure people sign a waiver

Yeah, pretty sure when you join Starfleet you sign a form that just says "we ain't responsible for anything that happens to you"

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

wouldnt it be great if the holodeck was alien technology and they didnt really understand it but everyone still used it to get they bone on?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
holodreck!!!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the galaxy class ships were the first to be equipped with holodecks. they were literally an experiment. they make a big deal about this in TNG season one.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kirk posted:

the holodeck owns because its basically like a piece of 32nd century technology in that it is way, WAY more advanced than everything else they have

it's a pity the potential of the holodeck as a masturbation device was never fully explored in the serieses

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Bedshaped posted:

it's a pity the potential of the holodeck as a masturbation device was never fully explored in the serieses

Clearly you have never seen Star Trexxx

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lobo3c0NFg

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

duTrieux posted:

please post interesting and/or funny things from it, tia.

It's in a storage unit at the moment and unfortunately I don't remember all that much. (It's this one, by the way, I had forgotten that Roddenbery helped write it.)

One bit that I do remember is that many of McCoy's medical instruments were actually fancy salt shakers. Somebody bought a whole bunch of "futuristic" ones for a scene, but they realized that nobody would be able to tell that they were salt shakers, so they used them as medical props instead. I think pretty much every Trek nerd knows that one, though.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Heresiarch posted:

It's in a storage unit at the moment and unfortunately I don't remember all that much. (It's this one, by the way, I had forgotten that Roddenbery helped write it.)

One bit that I do remember is that many of McCoy's medical instruments were actually fancy salt shakers. Somebody bought a whole bunch of "futuristic" ones for a scene, but they realized that nobody would be able to tell that they were salt shakers, so they used them as medical props instead. I think pretty much every Trek nerd knows that one, though.

huh.

in your professional opinion, is it worth ~$8.50 used from amazon?

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Heresiarch posted:

I had forgotten that Roddenbery forced himself into getting credit for that

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

why isn't every room a holodeck? no furniture to lug around, walls and ceilings where you want them and no bulky instruments or computer terminals.

imagine the weight that could be saved when nothing that humans aren't interacting with at that moment could just be made by holograms or just disappear.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

why isn't every room a holodeck? no furniture to lug around, walls and ceilings where you want them and no bulky instruments or computer terminals.

imagine the weight that could be saved when nothing that humans aren't interacting with at that moment could just be made by holograms or just disappear.

holodecks take a bunch of power and also the power is completely incompatible with the other power systems on the ship for no reason that makes sense.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
also when the power goes out (which is quite often) you wouldnt have anywhere to sit and that would suck

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

duTrieux posted:

huh.

in your professional opinion, is it worth ~$8.50 used from amazon?

If you're the sort of person who prefers DVDs over streaming because you like watching making-of documentaries and listening to commentary tracks (like me), and you'd like to have some of that kind of material for TOS, then yes. It's been ~20 years since I read it, though.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

NINbuntu 64 posted:

holodecks take a bunch of power and also the power is completely incompatible with the other power systems on the ship for no reason that makes sense.

The ship runs on red electrons, the holodeck runs on blue electrons.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so mold basic sit-shapes into the walls and floors. raised sections that are little more than basic cubes or rectangles if the power goes out, but are still functional. then paint the holograms over that, so some furniture or consoles are affixed and others aren't.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

sometimes i try to figure out how the holodeck handles multiple people using it while spread out over an area greater than the area of the holodeck and just give up because holodecks are dumb and holodeck episodes were dumb

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I enjoy the fact that some of the people here take the fiction semi-seirously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

so it would take more energy to make some holograms than to accelerate all that furinture, terminals and bulkheads to warp speed?

I think my spergbergers is flaring up, but that's maybe expected from discussing Star Trek on the internet.

• Locked thread