Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Zore posted:

The joke is that he got evasion, which is a level 2 thing for Rogues and a level 11 thing for Rangers so no one ever remembers that Rangers actually get evasion.

The joke seems more to be that Belkar doesn't know about anything his class does, other than two weapon fighting.

Keep in mind that he can't cast spells, isn't trained in Survival, uses daggers for two weapon fighting, has presumably never used barbarian rage, and took several hundred strips to acquire an animal companion which is just a housecat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So does the imposter goblin have a shaved head because polymorph doesn't know what kind of hair to give a hairless creature, or do you think having hair just weirds him out, and he shaves it?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes! Go Redcloak, go!

If a magic spell doesn't specifically say it grows hair it probably doesn't.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

drat does Burlew know what he's doing with his art style. It's just a few lines and colour fills but that implosion effect conveys the idea of what's happening better than any realistic detailed drawing. Not to mention a lot of aspiring webcomic artist would probably have slapped a pinch filter on it and called it a day.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Bobulus posted:

So does the imposter goblin have a shaved head because polymorph doesn't know what kind of hair to give a hairless creature, or do you think having hair just weirds him out, and he shaves it?
Neither, I think it's just a random hairstyle: if it were either of your ideas he'd have been bald instead of having a buzzcut.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

inthesto posted:

The joke seems more to be that Belkar doesn't know about anything his class does, other than two weapon fighting.

Keep in mind that he can't cast spells, isn't trained in Survival, uses daggers for two weapon fighting, has presumably never used barbarian rage, and took several hundred strips to acquire an animal companion which is just a housecat.

Didn't take any ranks in tracking either.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Tracking is actually a feat that allows you to use the Survival skill to track. Rangers get it for free. :eng101:

Yeah, nobody ever remembers these things after you learn junk like Scrying

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

My Lovely Horse posted:

drat does Burlew know what he's doing with his art style. It's just a few lines and colour fills but that implosion effect conveys the idea of what's happening better than any realistic detailed drawing. Not to mention a lot of aspiring webcomic artist would probably have slapped a pinch filter on it and called it a day.

Yeah, I spent some time looking at that and appreciated that it's probably exactly what a stick figure would look like imploding. I guess if you have a style you gotta go whole hog with it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
As badass as it was, I'm with whoever it was a while back wondering what the point of this part is. Given the pace of updates has been historically slow, and the resistance/elves seem to have accomplished absolutely jack poo poo.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

wdarkk posted:

As badass as it was, I'm with whoever it was a while back wondering what the point of this part is. Given the pace of updates has been historically slow, and the resistance/elves seem to have accomplished absolutely jack poo poo.
I'd be highly surprised if next strip everyone got killed / run out and Redcloak reacquired the amulet without further consequences.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I think the point was to show Redcloak being a chessmaster, and to show off his new spell level. And to prove to me that even stick figures can have gruesome, cringe worthy deaths. loving Implosion, Jesus.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

wdarkk posted:

He isn't worried about the pace of the updates on the site, he's worried about the pace of the book.

Next book is gonna have some bonus resistance comics, watch.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

The point of this scene is to show that poo poo has been progressing for this group of characters while the oots have been playing in the desert. If you can't see that you need to look up basics of screen writing/story telling.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HKR posted:

The point of this scene is to show that poo poo has been progressing for this group of characters while the oots have been playing in the desert. If you can't see that you need to look up basics of screen writing/story telling.

Not really. The 'Gobbotopia' speech and surrounding comics could've happened without the Resistance and that's the real development they've had that we needed to see.

Rich set up the bud guys with a very solid 'they need to search for the phylactery before they can do anything else' that explains to the reader exactly what they're up to which is satisfying right up to the point where he shows it being found.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Yeah, this is two strips basically saying "Xykon is moving now." Two instead of one is fine, because we get Implosion art, bearded devils, demons, and betrayal.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm almost cheering for Redcloak over the Order anyway, he's a great character and a greater villain that is overshadowed by Xykon/Tarquin.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
I'm still not sure he'll just go ahead and tell Xykon he has the phylactery. Of course sat some point he has to go out there and finish the plan, but he was willing to use O-Chul to deceive Xykon into buying time to form Gobbtopia, he might to do something similar here.

At the very least, we see (again) that Redcloak is resourceful, and a loving badass.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Rooster posted:

I'm still not sure he'll just go ahead and tell Xykon he has the phylactery. Of course sat some point he has to go out there and finish the plan, but he was willing to use O-Chul to deceive Xykon into buying time to form Gobbtopia, he might to do something similar here.

At the very least, we see (again) that Redcloak is resourceful, and a loving badass.

This is what I'm thinking. The only other reason I can think of for him not to have any hobgoblins in support is if he's doing the whole "Not one more life lost" thing.

Except there's the poly-spy. If all Redcloak cared about was saving hobgoblin life, he could have slaughtered the rebels weeks ago when the spy first infiltrated the Resistance. That would have saved the lives of the search team and every other hobgoblin that the Resistance picked off between then and now.

No, I'm pretty sure this is about making sure that Redcloak has an ace up his sleeve for when things inevitably breakdown between himself and Xykon. This way he keeps it quiet. If this wasn't about operational security, there's be no reason not to have Tsukiko and her undead along. She'd provide a lot more firepower, and he doesn't care if she dies. As Benjamin Franklin said, "Three can keep a secret if two are dead."

Which doesn't bode well for the survival chances of the poly-spy, come to think of it.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 10, 2012

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Wow that's grim for a stick figure comic.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

jng2058 posted:

Which doesn't bode well for the survival chances of the poly-spy, come to think of it.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking about this comic. Either Redcloak needs to kill this goblin, this goblin that has been excelling on a dangerous job for the good of Goblin civilization, or he needs to trust him with the most dangerous secret imaginable.

So, here is a question: Does a Lich feel it when his Philacery is destroyed? In that case, Redcloack could break it, Xykon would assume it was the work of some sewer creature, and then head to the next gate without waiting for it to be found. Then Redcloack could craft a new one, inserting some sort of leverage magic into it.

Wili fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 10, 2012

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

The Poly spy is more than likely Jirix whom hasn't been seen in quite some time.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

jng2058 posted:

Except there's the poly-spy. If all Redcloak cared about was saving hobgoblin life, he could have slaughtered the rebels weeks ago when the spy first infiltrated the Resistance. That would have saved the lives of the search team and every other hobgoblin that the Resistance picked off between then and now.

Well consider that the rebels were probably ALSO searching for the phylacracy he made sure he would find out if they found it first.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Redcloak has always had Xykon's phylactery around his neck. It doesn't do him any good - this gets addressed at the end of Start of Darkness.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Wili posted:

Yeah, that's what i was thinking about this comic. Either Redcloak needs to kill this goblin, this goblin that has been excelling on a dangerous job for the good of Goblin civilization, or he needs to trust him with the most dangerous secret imaginable.

So, here is a question: Does a Lich feel it when his Philacery is destroyed? In that case, Redcloack could break it, Xykon would assume it was the work of some sewer creature, and the would probably head to the next gate without waiting for it to be found. Then Redcloack could craft a new one, inserting some sort of leverage maic into it.

Thing is, Xykon can probably make a new phylactery on his own, or else get Tsukiko's help instead of Redcloak's to replace it if he requires some divine oomph. Just destroying Xykon's phylactery now would only delay things even more, since Xykon would probably go into seclusion for months while making a new one.

On the other hand, if he keeps it intact and starts to dispel the various protections on it in his spare time, he can then be in a situation where he can kill Xykon permanently by trashing his body then breaking the phylactery. Or perhaps better yet, wait for the Order or the Linear Guild or Clan Draketooth to do the trashing, then break the phylactery himself.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

YouTuber posted:

The Poly spy is more than likely Jirix whom hasn't been seen in quite some time.

Jirix is the Prime Minister. We saw him last strip.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

YouTuber posted:

Prime Minister Jirix who was last seen being made the peacetime leader of Gobboltopia?

Highly unlikely.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Why make this more complicated than it needs to be? Show Xykon that they found the phylactery before swapping it out with his identical looking back-up symbol. Leave the real deal behind in Azure City in a catapult aimed at the rift with orders to shoot it in if Redcloak sends the order or if the city is in danger of being overrun.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Because rich has never put in small, incidental, almost meaningless things that have a larger payout at the end of a particular story arc. Nope.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
If Redcloak deceives Xykon again it would be very, very stupid of him. I know we haven't seen Xykon in a while and we all love Redcloak but if you need a reminder as to who wears the pants in that relationship just take a look at Redcloak's face.

Xykon is officially in Done With Screwing Around mode.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Any lie that Redcloak tells Xykon will still pale in comparison to his main lie, that the ritual will allow the people performing it to control the snarl.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Nilbop posted:

If Redcloak deceives Xykon again it would be very, very stupid of him. I know we haven't seen Xykon in a while and we all love Redcloak but if you need a reminder as to who wears the pants in that relationship just take a look at Redcloak's face.

Xykon is officially in Done With Screwing Around mode.

But that's also WHY Redcloak would consider betraying Xykon. Between the way Xykon treats goblins, the way he forces Redcloak to live one eye short, and the way he let's Tsukiko go around defiling goblin corpses all add up to the fact that Redcloak can't trust Xykon and he'd be stupid to think that the Big X will just roll over and do the Plan right the way Redcloak needs it to be done.

Redcloak would be stupid NOT to try and get an edge, especially with his very god breathing down his neck.

We should also recall that by having Tsukiko analyze the ritual for him, Xykon's been making his own preparations for a X vs Red battle as well...

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Nilbop posted:

just take a look at Redcloak's face.
I'm still not entirely convinced that he hasn't had his eye healed secretly and he's keeping the patch on for DRAMATIC REVEAL. It would have to wait for him to be in some position where he no longer needs Xykon and can actually deal with him somehow but I could really see it happening.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Given that one of Rich's main themes is that Evil is not 'one big happy family', and what happened in Start of Darkness, I think it's a fair bet that Redcloak is looking for some way to get the upper hand on Xykon, and/or dispose of him...

After the ritual is complete.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
New strip is up and it does imply very interesting things to come!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Affi posted:

Link for convenience.

Pretty much what I expected. I'm just glad that Niu will be able to tell the others. Maybe? I don't know if anyone can use Sending scrolls.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Link for convenience.

Pretty much what I expected. I'm just glad that Niu will be able to tell the others. Maybe? I don't know if anyone can use Sending scrolls.
I doubt he'd give it to her if she couldn't. Being "the one for stealth" implies she took a couple levels in Rogue, which means Use Magic Device is a class skill.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Affi posted:

Ok, there's the resistance payoff that I was worrying about. Plot moves forward and Hinjo is still in the game.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 13, 2012

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Wow, it's like Rich just tries to make every Paladin an awesome apology for Miko!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
This looks like what I was hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Colon V posted:

I doubt he'd give it to her if she couldn't. Being "the one for stealth" implies she took a couple levels in Rogue, which means Use Magic Device is a class skill.

Ah. Yes, she multi-classed to rogue.