Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Pyroclastic posted:

:stare:

Edit--Guess URL tags don't work with timg.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanmcnaught/6681417451/

That poo poo would have been repetitive especially the red frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Is a giant rocket like that generally hollow or solid?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

mik posted:

Which of the current modulars is objectively the best? I really want the Pet Shop but I have a feeling it's number probably the 'worst' of the current three in terms of value and 'fun' (definition may vary).

Definitely the Grand Emporium. The Pet Shop (which I just built) feels smaller and while it has some great details, the unfinished house next door is really bland and forgettable. The Grand Emporium has so many amazing details on the outside and inside. It's better than the Green Grocer, though I love having them next to each other.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

New things in the instructions...New bits at each stage are surrounded with a red line, and black bricks have a white line around the studs.
After trying to rebuild my MTT I really wish they did this before, IDing dark bley from black is a pain.

Jut fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 13, 2012

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Voodoo posted:

Is a giant rocket like that generally hollow or solid?

I'm sure the rocket itself isn't completely solid to cut down on the weight, but it's hard to say what wort of internal structure he went with.

Also 120,000 pieces, goddamn :aaa:. That's my entire collection in one build.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Jut posted:

New things in the instructions...New bits at each stage are surrounded with a red line, and black bricks have a white line around the studs.
After trying to rebuild my MTT I really wish they did this before, IDing dark bley from black is a pain.

Wow, that's good to hear. Hope it applies to other new sets as well.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

At the family home, I have a bunch of mid 70's sets all jumbled together from my youth. Does anyone think it's worth looking through them and finding rare poo poo and maybe selling it? Or is it not worth the effort?

(When me or my brother eventually hand them down to our kids, I don't think they'll value the rare ones any more than the other 1000's.)

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
oooh just found an orange brick separator in it too

Jut fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 13, 2012

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

smackfu posted:

Does anyone think it's worth looking through them and finding rare poo poo and maybe selling it? Or is it not worth the effort?

If you have to ask, then the answer for you is probably no. Not that you won't be able to sell them, but realistically if you just want to get rid of them, list them as-is in bulk. If you had the original boxes and instructions still then it might be worth it for a few sets, but even then I'd imagine you'd be lucky to get MSRP for most of them.

If you're asking if their monetary value is greater than their usefulness as hand-me-downs, its hard to say. Personally I would rather pass on the collection than sell it, since it would be that more lego my kids could enjoy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

InfinEight posted:

If you're asking if their monetary value is greater than their usefulness as hand-me-downs, its hard to say. Personally I would rather pass on the collection than sell it, since it would be that more lego my kids could enjoy.
No, I mean more like pass on 99% of them to kids, and sell the 1% that are "rare" and worth $5 a piece, because kids don't appreciate rare as much as adults. But I'm not sure if there are really that many $5 pieces that it would be worth the effort...

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Jut posted:

Is that orange hair made of plastic or rubber? It looks plastic but I've been wrong about that before.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Jut posted:

IDing dark grey from black isn't as hard as it was before because I been putting my old sets together for my son and I had a massive Star Wars collection of the classic ships an a lot of it was dark grey and black. Just got to have the right lighting on the manual and looking at the picture on the front of the manual helped out a lot. Pics to come of the massive collection all built. But I know the pain that you speak of. And a pain it is.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

VaultAggie posted:

Is that orange hair made of plastic or rubber? It looks plastic but I've been wrong about that before.

plastic

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

smackfu posted:

No, I mean more like pass on 99% of them to kids, and sell the 1% that are "rare" and worth $5 a piece, because kids don't appreciate rare as much as adults. But I'm not sure if there are really that many $5 pieces that it would be worth the effort...

It's definitely possible you have some rare pieces, but your best bet is to try and figure out what sets you had first. Try looking on http://www.peeron.com/ or http://brickset.com/ to see if you can remember some sets you might have had, then you can check http://www.bricklink.com to see what the sets are currently selling for, or to see if any of those sets had particularly rare pieces. If it looks like you have some pricey rare stuff, then it'd be worth seeing if you can track the parts down.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Good idea, I've been looking through the old sets. I never realized that I had practically all of the early Space ones. Big ones for Xmas and BDay, small ones to bribe me at various points.

And yikes, I'm glad I never got this one.

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=565-1

The one from 27 years later is a little better:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7468-1

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I guess you have to share hammocks in the 3 person LEM.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Jut posted:

Bride's dress is on backwards.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Front with spares

Inside

Right, verdict so far.
It's been a nice build with very little repetition. I like the simple workings of the elevator, and the simple but effective furniture. I think the inclusion of a brick separator was nice, as is the red lines in the instruction book to show you what to add next, and the white highlights on the black pieces.

I do have one big problem though...I was missing the following pieces

1 1x1 light bley brick
3 2x1 light bley brick
1 1x8 light bley brick

This were replaced from my own collection.

The bags were sealed (I always check), and the instructions were followed exactly (I checked several times).

I think there is a problem with the instructions themselves, and here's why.
My spare pieces included 3 L shaped light bley bricks and a 1x6 light bley brick. These are not common spares, usually you are left with little plates and the like.

Secondly, look at this picture

Notice anything odd? They stacked two 1x8 bricks on top of each other, which is something never seen.

Here it is in the instructions (and this is the point I noticed I was missing some parts.
Before

After

So it may be an idea to wait and see if anyone else experiences this problem with missing parts before jumping in on release day.

theSpurious
Jan 12, 2012
The only lego set I've ever built was the 1200 piece Vader's Advanced Tie set... Kept it on the edge of my desk and knocked that son of a bitch clean off... Never again.

SockFight
Dec 13, 2011

FOGLESONG SAYS STOP WHINING AND DO YOUR "OPERATIONAL" (DELIVERY TRUCK DRIVER) JOB BITCH

FOGLESONG'D
The tower bridge set so far.

Soo many pieces left

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
To you two with the big rear end expensive sets you keep posting, I hate you. So, so much. (Please don't stop)

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

smackfu posted:

Good idea, I've been looking through the old sets. I never realized that I had practically all of the early Space ones. Big ones for Xmas and BDay, small ones to bribe me at various points.

And yikes, I'm glad I never got this one.

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=565-1

The one from 27 years later is a little better:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7468-1

I don't know what you're talking about because that set owns. I collaborated with a friend (his idea, my parts) to make a mod of it for a show this year:

Also, drat you Jut for getting the City Hall so soon! Is that main color dark orange? Because, if it is, I will love that set forever.

Togaparty27
Jan 13, 2012
poo poo!!! I forgot about how much I loved Legos! Thanx for reminding me, Heading to China-Mart now to pick some up so I.... My kids... can play with them.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Togaparty27 posted:

poo poo!!! I forgot about how much I loved Legos! Thanx for reminding me, Heading to China-Mart now to pick some up so I.... My kids... can play with them.

Don't make up excuses. Own your addiction. Gush about your passion, and share it with others. You can make believers out of your 50-year-old in-laws just by explaining how cool this poo poo is.

Togaparty27
Jan 13, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

Don't make up excuses. Own your addiction. Gush about your passion, and share it with others. You can make believers out of your 50-year-old in-laws just by explaining how cool this poo poo is.
OK! I Love Lego's!!! Dang that feels sooo much better!

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

Togaparty27 posted:

OK! I Love Lego's!!! Dang that feels sooo much better!

First step's always the hardest. Now go get some sets and just start building. It's gotten to the point for me that my wife and in-laws usually just get me LEGO for holidays, since they know it's a safe gift that I'll definitely love. I just got some dinosaur sets for my birthday, and I have to admit, I kinda like the dinosaur figures, even if they're mainly one giant piece with legs and a head.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter, the UCS kit, was on sale on lego.com (might still be) last week so I bought one. Arrived today. Meanwhile, my birthday is coming up and my wife was all "Send me a list of kits you want and I'll pick from them."

:allears:

Diogenes Cynicus posted:

First step's always the hardest.

I solved the "first step's the hardest" problem by just up and buying literally a thousand dollars worth of bulk by the pound lego as well as some sets in one go. Don't ease into it, go big or go home :colbert:

Although, I was into it as a kid, so I guess that was really the first step...

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

Torael_7 posted:

I solved the "first step's the hardest" problem by just up and buying literally a thousand dollars worth of bulk by the pound lego as well as some sets in one go. Don't ease into it, go big or go home :colbert:

Although, I was into it as a kid, so I guess that was really the first step...

I have tons of LEGO from when I was a kid. And I've bought a whole lot more since then. I think my wife would really like her dining room table back at some point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, one of the reasons I bought the Fire Brigade modular set first was the price. Here in the UK, it's £99.99, which at the current exchange rate makes sense when you compare it to the US price. $150 = £97~. The modular sets in the US are all a flat $149.99, but here in the UK they're differing from £99.99 up to £130. We're closer to Denmark than the US, why we gotta pay more? And why does it fluctuate so much?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Started digging through the 110 pound pile today. I was really looking for the lime green pieces to the 4x4 Off-Roader as it's a fairly expensive kit with only a handful of specialized parts. I'd like to build it, first, then I'd like to sell it. I've found about half, but I'm worried those damned kids lost some parts. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

But in the few minutes I'd dug through a couple of bins, I'd amassed quite the collection of minifigs. At least I know it wasn't picked through.

I call this "Ship of Fools"

Here's some of the guys just stood up on the first plate I grabbed. I'm sure a lot of these guys are mixed up and require piecing back together, but that's half the fun.

I don't know all the figures, but I do know that's a goddamn mint Joker standing there front and center. There's also a Grand Moff Tarkin, though he's not worth nearly so much. I think Cerebus back there is probably worth a decent amount too.

Still no idea where to begin. I know I'm having a huge party on Sunday that's just an excuse for me and my friends to get drunk and build with more LEGO than we know what to do with. I figured, how often will you ever get to do that?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

einTier posted:

Still no idea where to begin. I know I'm having a huge party on Sunday that's just an excuse for me and my friends to get drunk and build with more LEGO than we know what to do with. I figured, how often will you ever get to do that?

As someone that has picked up a ton of lots like that, if you want to sell any of it, stick to Star Wars (out of production stuff) and maybe Batman for the best return on your time and effort. That was a screamin' deal though. My two best were a box of original Star Wars sets for $30 (sold the sets for a couple hundred at least, kept a couple), and $20 for two large bins with a bunch of Model Team and other stuff in them.

Also, if you have that party, make sure you strip search everyone before they leave. Don't want any bricks walking off!

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

einTier posted:

Started digging through the 110 pound pile today. I was really looking for the lime green pieces to the 4x4 Off-Roader as it's a fairly expensive kit with only a handful of specialized parts. I'd like to build it, first, then I'd like to sell it. I've found about half, but I'm worried those damned kids lost some parts. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

But in the few minutes I'd dug through a couple of bins, I'd amassed quite the collection of minifigs. At least I know it wasn't picked through.

I call this "Ship of Fools"

Here's some of the guys just stood up on the first plate I grabbed. I'm sure a lot of these guys are mixed up and require piecing back together, but that's half the fun.

I don't know all the figures, but I do know that's a goddamn mint Joker standing there front and center. There's also a Grand Moff Tarkin, though he's not worth nearly so much. I think Cerebus back there is probably worth a decent amount too.

To my untrained eye, it really looks like you might have the Death Star in that haul. Imperial guard, the black droid, Grand Moff Tarkin....drat. Also, what in the hell is the Cerebus from?

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

ZarathustraFollower posted:

To my untrained eye, it really looks like you might have the Death Star in that haul. Imperial guard, the black droid, Grand Moff Tarkin....drat. Also, what in the hell is the Cerebus from?

As I recall thats Fluffy from the original Harry Potter line. Seeing that really makes me wish I hadnt sold my collection as a kid.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Harry Potter, same with the Ogre

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Might need to get me one sometime. My spartans could use a challenge.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
This arrived today :)

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
They're throwing in a free VW Bus with every Ninjago accessory pack now!? Wow. Gotta fill those shipping boxes, somehow, I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is annoying me. Cerebus is a comic book aardvark. The three headed dog is Cerberus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Shuppiluliumas posted:

They're throwing in a free VW Bus with every Ninjago accessory pack now!? Wow. Gotta fill those shipping boxes, somehow, I guess.

Yeah, they're overstocked on them. Once they're out of the VW Buses, Lego will be tossing in an Imperial Shuttle when you order Clone Trooper minifig packs.