Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

ActionZero posted:

I'm still not entirely convinced that he hasn't had his eye healed secretly and he's keeping the patch on for DRAMATIC REVEAL. It would have to wait for him to be in some position where he no longer needs Xykon and can actually deal with him somehow but I could really see it happening.

I'd say he hasn't had it fixed because it would ruin the "Sees his brother's face every time he looks in the mirror" point that hasn't been brought up in the comic yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Redcloak is a stone cold mother fucker.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

maltesh posted:

I'd say he hasn't had it fixed because it would ruin the "Sees his brother's face every time he looks in the mirror" point that hasn't been brought up in the comic yet.

If he hasn't fixed it, it's because Xykon told him not to under penalty of something nasty (I forget what, exactly).

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

terminal mehmet posted:

If he hasn't fixed it, it's because Xykon told him not to under penalty of something nasty (I forget what, exactly).

If I ever see you with more eyes than assholes, im going to rip one out and shove it in the other, I think.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Apocron posted:

Wow, it's like Rich just tries to make every Paladin an awesome apology for Miko!

More specifically, Rich is making the Paladins for the most part match up with the ideals they're supposed to represent, rather than the horrible, Miko-esque way many people play them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

And yes, I called it. Redcloak would have killed the poly-spy if Trahn hadn't done it for him, because he needs to keep the fact that he's got the phylactery a secret from everyone...including and especially Xykon.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
So, I think I found something interesting.. With what we know now, it seems less and less likely that he was lying about the contents of the gate. The question is: how true is it, and if it's accurate, how does he know what he does?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Niton posted:

So, I think I found something interesting.. With what we know now, it seems less and less likely that he was lying about the contents of the gate. The question is: how true is it, and if it's accurate, how does he know what he does?
Dramatic irony + lucky guess + Rich is a clever dick.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sefer posted:

More specifically, Rich is making the Paladins for the most part match up with the ideals they're supposed to represent, rather than the horrible, Miko-esque way many people play them.

Agreed.

Miko is every bit a caricature of the way D&D grognards play a paladin. Lawful Stupid is just the tip of the iceberg. The jumping to conclusions, the rampant murder of anything registering as Evil, the warped logic pointing how the world revolves around them...Miko was straight up caricature.

The other paladins, each and every one, are awesome. Some of the stuff they say and do are what paladins should be, rather than the twisted Miko-esque mess so many think they are.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So Rich just put up a news story on the site. Most of it is just reasurring the hardcore fans that "5th Edition" won't gently caress with the story, but I did find this one part pretty interesting.

quote:

The reason I can say that with confidence is that my decision has nothing to do with the content of that still-unwritten ruleset. Everything I said about my decision not to make a wholesale switch to 4th Edition still stands: It would be an enormous amount of exposition for very little benefit, and it would likely change some of the characters in ways that would be difficult to reconcile with the story I've been planning. Further, this story is now three and a half years closer to its conclusion than it was when 4E was released, and it will be yet another year and a half before these new rules are widely available. The halfway point of OOTS is in the rearview mirror, and at a certain point, it just becomes an issue of not changing horses midstream (or at the very least, dancing with who brought you).

I guess that more or less confirms that Kragor's gate is going to be the end of it. More importantly I wonder what this bodes for the Linear Guild now that we're getting closer to the climax (because let's face it, minor villans never make it to the denouement).

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So Rich just put up a news story on the site. Most of it is just reasurring the hardcore fans that "5th Edition" won't gently caress with the story, but I did find this one part pretty interesting.

I guess that more or less confirms that Kragor's gate is going to be the end of it. More importantly I wonder what this bodes for the Linear Guild now that we're getting closer to the climax (because let's face it, minor villans never make it to the denouement).

I don't think I would put the Linear Guild as minor villains. They've been in the strip since nearly the beginning if my memory serves right, and have hindered the party in major ways. Though they're not the Main villains, they've played a large role.

That said, they may just be there at the end. Or they could all die in the next 10 strips, what the gently caress do I know

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

crime fighting hog posted:

I don't think I would put the Linear Guild as minor villains. They've been in the strip since nearly the beginning if my memory serves right, and have hindered the party in major ways. Though they're not the Main villains, they've played a large role.

That said, they may just be there at the end. Or they could all die in the next 10 strips, what the gently caress do I know

Given that this arc seems to be focusing mostly on Elan and his family I get the feeling that Rich wants to wrap up Nale's character arc, either wholly or in part. It would be more than a little poetic if the second* most deluded character in this series was undone at a place specifically designed to confuse and mislead intruders.

Of course Nale's death dosen't exclude the rest of the Linear Guild so who knows (especially if Thog made it out of the palace somehow).

*The first is Redcloak by the way!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Agreed.

Miko is every bit a caricature of the way D&D grognards play a paladin. Lawful Stupid is just the tip of the iceberg. The jumping to conclusions, the rampant murder of anything registering as Evil, the warped logic pointing how the world revolves around them...Miko was straight up caricature.

The other paladins, each and every one, are awesome. Some of the stuff they say and do are what paladins should be, rather than the twisted Miko-esque mess so many think they are.

It's similar to how Roy the Fighter is anything but a dumb meat shield, and the whole "make the alignment system make sense" argument Celia used in their trial.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Just began reading Start of Darkness, loving it so far. Is Origin of the PC's good too?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Start of Darkness is much better, but origin of PCs is certainly worth buying for the price.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

crime fighting hog posted:

Is Origin of the PC's good too?
It's not as good as SoD, mostly because the evil characters' backstories are more interesting than the good characters'. Pages and pages of Xykon being an rear end in a top hat are better than pages and pages of Roy arguing with his dad.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I'm disappointed Rich canceled the third prequel book he had planned. Especially if it was going to be Tarquin centric, I'd have loved to see Rich's take on an evil adventuring party.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Danzou posted:

I'm disappointed Rich canceled the third prequel book he had planned. Especially if it was going to be Tarquin centric, I'd have loved to see Rich's take on an evil adventuring party.

I thought that was going to be the Order of the Scribble (Soon and company) book.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
Has Rich ever mentioned whether the story was optioned for film? It would surprise me if it hadn't been.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

TremendousMajestic posted:

Has Rich ever mentioned whether the story was optioned for film? It would surprise me if it hadn't been.

The only way I see the series being faithfully adapted is in a feture length flash animation, and given hollywood's usual logic I doubt they would fund any such project, let alone one based on a webcomic.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The only way I see the series being faithfully adapted is in a feture length flash animation, and given hollywood's usual logic I doubt they would fund any such project, let alone one based on a webcomic.

Nah. Live action.

Roy - Michael Clarke Duncan
Haley - Julianne Moore
Elan - Johnny Depp
Durkon - John Rhys-Davies (and my axe! Er, mace!)
V - Tilda Swinton (the most androgynous actor/actress I can think of, just give her a dark dye job)
Belkar - Steve Buscemi (I have no idea why this works, it just does)

K, Hollywood, give me my money.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Midniter posted:

This is a horrible idea...and yet so awesome.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Danzou posted:

Really? When?
That sucks.

But at least War and XPs is getting another printing. Finally I'll complete my OOTS book collection!

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
It was quite a long time ago, when his Crohn's Disease started getting worse and he started updating infrequently. I hope if he gets better, he'll try to tackle it again. After all, didn't he draw new content for Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales?

Edit: CROHN'S

Danzou fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 15, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm sure Hollywood wouldn't change the setting, story or characters any to give it more "mass appeal" in any way that could possible affect the quality. Who am I kidding... THEY'D gently caress IT UP SO BADLY IT'D BE AWFUL COMPARED TO THE DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS MOVIE!!!!!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Danzou posted:

It was quite a long time ago, when his Chron's Disease started getting worse and he started updating infrequently. I hope if he gets better, he'll try to tackle it again. After all, didn't he draw new content for Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales?
Oh, it's ChronCrohn's? I never knew what it was, just that it was incurable, but not life-threatening. Makes sense he wouldn't want to go public about a disease like that.

E: Sorry.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 15, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Colon V posted:

Oh, it's Chron's? I never knew what it was, just that it was incurable, but not life-threatening. Makes sense he wouldn't want to go public about a disease like that.

I don't think he's ever directly stated that it's Crohn's, it's just the one time he mentioned symptoms, they matched up, so people in the thread assume it.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 15, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
CROHN'S. Crohn's disease.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What did he do to upset Crom?

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
For a barbarian god Crom can be awfully touchy.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

The Werle posted:

For a barbarian god Crom can be awfully touchy.

He doesn't like southerners and their spicy food.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Remember when Xyklon trapped Miho in that cage?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Poil posted:

I'm sure Hollywood wouldn't change the setting, story or characters any to give it more "mass appeal" in any way that could possible affect the quality. Who am I kidding... THEY'D gently caress IT UP SO BADLY IT'D BE AWFUL COMPARED TO THE DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS MOVIE!!!!!

Honestly, if you were really going to make an Order of the Stick movie and it wasn't a Flash-based serial issued in five-minute installments, I'd almost argue that you're doing it wrong.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Honestly, if you were really going to make an Order of the Stick movie and it wasn't a Flash-based serial issued in five-minute installments, I'd almost argue that you're doing it wrong.

Beware. This was is the path of madness that led to the 8-bit Theater fan movies. (Including voice acting that sounded like it was recorded at a McDonalds drive-in!)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I liked the 8-Bit Theater fan movies :(

Though yeah, that wacky delivery style wouldn't have worked anywhere as well for the later 8BT comics, and much less for OotS past the first 50 strips.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've got to lean towards agreeing with Frank Miller here. You can't really turn a comic into a movie. No matter what you do, you can't make a perfect 1:1 adaptation, because they're inherently different mediums. For one, you can fit a lot of detail into a panel that would be completely missed in a movie, because you can't stop a film at will (not without completely breaking the flow, anyways).

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

The Midniter posted:

Nah. Live action.

Roy - Michael Clarke Duncan
Haley - Julianne Moore
Elan - Johnny Depp
Durkon - John Rhys-Davies (and my axe! Er, mace!)
V - Tilda Swinton (the most androgynous actor/actress I can think of, just give her a dark dye job)

K, Hollywood, give me my money.

Haley is 24. At least that was the case 700 strips ago. Still dude, Julianne Moore is too old to be Haley.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
She's also too three dimensional. You'd need a 2D actress, like an Olsen Twin or some other anorexic.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
New comic's up: A Study in Viridian

Niton fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Anyone recognize the symbols on the door?