Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

If you're cooking your pork up to 165, no wonder it's dry. I used to dry my loin roasts out all the time before I figured that out. Now I cook them to 145 in a 375-degree oven and then let them rest, which usually carries them up around 150. Results in the tiniest bit of pink in the center, so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

squigadoo posted:

Pork loin

Don't bother brining or covering in fat or anything. The only thing you have to do is avoid overcooking it. Pull it at 138 and tent and let it coast to 145. You will have moist, delicious, not salty and not watered down pork.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Wroughtirony posted:

Holy gently caress.

PAGING DC AREA SPOONIES!

Tell me where to eat this week!

http://www.restaurantweekmetrodc.org/

I'm scouting for jobs, so fine dining New American/Italian is what I want to focus on, but holy gently caress that's a lot of restaurants.

Bibiana sounds like what you're looking for.

edit: I also like Birch and Barley, Rasika, and BlackSalt a lot, but they don't really fit your criteria.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Did you brine?

Yes.

re temperatures:

Aha. I will go for 138 or thereabouts, and tent. If it's too pink, I'll have to put it back in so I don't freak out the boyfriend's family.

re the 165F: That must be why my pork tends to be dry, but the one with the porkbelly on top was moist and delicious. It would be good to take the fat out, though, since there will be dessert.

Thank you!

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..
I don't know how kosher restaurant requests are in this thread, but I saw a few on the last page, so here goes:

I'm going to Bergen, Norway at the 4th February (Saturday). I have 4 hours in the city before I need to catch a ferry further north and I hope to get a nice lunch. Can anyone recommend a nice place there, hopefully in the 200-300 kr price range. Would appreciate if it's a chill place where it's accepted to sit alone and recharge. Foodwise I'm open for anything. Any help is much appreciated.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

squigadoo posted:

Yes.

re temperatures:

Aha. I will go for 138 or thereabouts, and tent. If it's too pink, I'll have to put it back in so I don't freak out the boyfriend's family.

re the 165F: That must be why my pork tends to be dry, but the one with the porkbelly on top was moist and delicious. It would be good to take the fat out, though, since there will be dessert.

Thank you!
Yeah, I'll defer to FGR's knowledge on this. I did "all of the above" for my crown roast and it turned out great, but if you're brining and still getting dry meat it would appear that the temperature is the crucial factor.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A logistics question.

Is there any reason (safety, hygiene, or otherwise) why you couldn't put a microwave on an end table instead of a counter top? Our apartment does not have a kitchen so much as an alley with a fridge and stove built in. I'm sick of trying to work with two square feet of space so my roommate can keep his giant, stupid microwave closer to the frozen burritos.

I have nothing against microwaves, I just want it out of the drat kitchen. Feasible?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I tried shucking oysters for the first time tonight for dinner. About half of them opened quickly with no problems, but I couldn't get the rest open without like totally destroying the shells and a couple I couldn't open at all. Is there another way to open them besides the traditional way of sticking a knife in the hinge?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Rangpur posted:

A logistics question.

Is there any reason (safety, hygiene, or otherwise) why you couldn't put a microwave on an end table instead of a counter top? Our apartment does not have a kitchen so much as an alley with a fridge and stove built in. I'm sick of trying to work with two square feet of space so my roommate can keep his giant, stupid microwave closer to the frozen burritos.

I have nothing against microwaves, I just want it out of the drat kitchen. Feasible?

There's no reason not to.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

squigadoo posted:

Yes.

re temperatures:

Thank you!

Cover in pancetta and tie. Same effect, less greasiness. Plus it looks pretty.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Now I have a question. I have a friend who's a pescatarian and he wants me to sous vizzle some fish. What should I s-v? I'm assuming something with some texture like halibut, salmon, swordfish, etc. Anything else that's good?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

kiteless posted:

Now I have a question. I have a friend who's a pescatarian and he wants me to sous vizzle some fish. What should I s-v? I'm assuming something with some texture like halibut, salmon, swordfish, etc. Anything else that's good?
Do shellfish count? Vizzled scallops finished with a quick sear come out bang on perfect.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Shellfish counts, but I don't get the deal with scallops. I've had them different ways and they just don't taste like anything to me. Doesn't seem worth the cost.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Can I get a kickass meat lasagna recipe? Preferably one that does not cost tons of money to make.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

kiteless posted:

Shellfish counts, but I don't get the deal with scallops. I've had them different ways and they just don't taste like anything to me. Doesn't seem worth the cost.
Do you have a good fishmonger? Bad scallops end up chewy and unpleasant, but good scallops are one of those things that's so viscerally, sensually pleasing that I have a hard time imagining anyone actually disliking 'em.

razz posted:

Can I get a kickass meat lasagna recipe? Preferably one that does not cost tons of money to make.
The recipe in the wiki is from The Silver Spoon and it's pretty drat good.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
That lasagna looks good, and I'm really curious about a lasagna with no cheese. Definitely going on my list of things to make, thanks! If anyone else has another good recipe for lasagna, please share!

Also, is it really necessary to peel carrots?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Not if you wash them.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SubG posted:

The recipe in the wiki is from The Silver Spoon and it's pretty drat good.

This lasagna is amazing and the reason I bought the Silver Spoon. I tend to make it with thin fresh pasta, go very light on the sauces, and make it ~8 layers. People give a face when there isn't ricotta or some other cheese slathered throughout their lasagna, but goddamn is it good.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

razz posted:

Like a lot of veg, the skin's a significant portion of a carrot's nutritional value. Also, if you skin a carrot you lose more value on top of that because they juice out.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

sorry, more questions.

I make chapchae following Maangchi's recipe, and it tastes great. However, the chapchae I've had in some restaurants are a rich opaque brown and taste amazing. A co-worker told me his wife cooks the noodles with a bean to give it extra taste and color, but he had no idea what it was.

Does anyone know what it is?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Splizwarf posted:

Like a lot of veg, the skin's a significant portion of a carrot's nutritional value. Also, if you skin a carrot you lose more value on top of that because they juice out.

I was just asking because from reading online, people say carrot peels have a "bitter" taste and that's why it needs to come off. Confirm/deny?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Deny. Those people are dumb.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Gracias. I shall never again peel a carrot, only wash them.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

razz posted:

I was just asking because from reading online, people say carrot peels have a "bitter" taste and that's why it needs to come off. Confirm/deny?

I'd say that they are not washing them properly. Dirt tastes pretty bitter. And carrots are so sweet anyway.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

razz posted:

That lasagna looks good, and I'm really curious about a lasagna with no cheese. Definitely going on my list of things to make, thanks! If anyone else has another good recipe for lasagna, please share!

I've made excelent lasagna with no cheese before, with crumbled tofu mixed with a dash of white balsamic vinegar to simulate ricotta texture. Make sure you use fresh spices for the tomato sauce.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

razz posted:

Eat one with the peel on. Too bitter? Take it off. Tastes fine? leave it on.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
No, that makes too much sense.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Cowcatcher posted:

I've made excelent lasagna with no cheese before, with crumbled tofu mixed with a dash of white balsamic vinegar to simulate ricotta texture. Make sure you use fresh spices for the tomato sauce.

Now I want to try this but with feta instead of tofu.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Xandu posted:

I tried shucking oysters for the first time tonight for dinner. About half of them opened quickly with no problems, but I couldn't get the rest open without like totally destroying the shells and a couple I couldn't open at all. Is there another way to open them besides the traditional way of sticking a knife in the hinge?

If you put a bit of liquid nitrogen on the hinge they'll pop right open.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Holy poo poo.

Xandu posted:

Not to my knowledge if you want to eat them raw. Shucking is a bit tough, it takes some practice (and if you're like me, oyster shell embedded in your hand)

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

razz posted:

I make basically this but no carrots in the sauce, and I slice some mozzarella to cover the top along with a shitton of parmesan. The bechamel makes it super creamy.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

This... this is awesome!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Where does one buy liquid nitrogen? Do you need special containers? How long does it keep? You can't just say "oh yeah pop it into liquid nitrogen" the same way you would say "sprinkle some oregano on it" and move on

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

I wish I could have liquid nitrogen in my kitchen. I think even had I a use I'd no longer have hands though.

As an aside, what calvin and hobbes is your av from or is it custom?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Cowcatcher posted:

Where does one buy liquid nitrogen? Do you need special containers? How long does it keep? You can't just say "oh yeah pop it into liquid nitrogen" the same way you would say "sprinkle some oregano on it" and move on
I would imagine that dry ice would also work and be much easier to acquire

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Cowcatcher posted:

You need a dewar flask or it will explode and kill/dismember you, and you can buy it from welding shops and some restaurant suppliers are starting to carry it. It will evaporate relatively quickly even in the flask, depending on how well insulated the flask is.

Jose posted:

I wish I could have liquid nitrogen in my kitchen. I think even had I a use I'd no longer have hands though.

It was drawn by the lovely bombhand, and is a reference to this ridiculous design patent: http://www.google.com/patents?id=T-MIAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false (Calvin's dad, like Watterson's, is a Patent Attorney)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jose posted:

Image is custom, text is from:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
To try to stay on topic: How much liquid nitrogen do you waste freezing and smashing things?

The entire collection of C&H on amazon for £56 I think has to be bought. I blame you for this.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jose posted:

To try to stay on topic: How much liquid nitrogen do you waste freezing and smashing things?

The entire collection of C&H on amazon for £56 I think has to be bought. I blame you for this.

When I worked at a tasting menu restaurant, we used a lot of it for frozen desserts and other stupid/fun stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Generalisimo Halal posted:

Not to my knowledge if you want to eat them raw. Shucking is a bit tough, it takes some practice (and if you're like me, oyster shell embedded in your hand)

The first several dozen oysters that I shucked was hit and missed. It looked like an oyster massacre in my kitchen with destroyed and chipped shells. It was not pretty!

BUT...once I got the procedure down, its so easy. I rarely chip the shells or end up with chunks of shell. Occasionally you will get one...I just chalk it up to them having not as strong shells as the others or I didn't apply pressure quite right.

You will do fine. It really is a matter of practice. Once you learn where the hinge is and the right way to do it, the little buggers will open and give their sweet sweet briny goodness up to you. Best advice I can give you is to hold them on the counter wrapped in a towel in case the shucker slips as well as giving you stability, and to wiggle the shucker in (you will know when it is in it just feels right! God that sounds dirty but oh well). Make sure the oyster shells are flat side up and curved side down!! It makes it easier to open that way and keeps the oyster juice inside the shell mostly. Once its in give a good turn to the side to release the pressure. I can hear a actual pop most of the time when its good.

Just practice, its not an easy skill but I am amazed how many people don't have it.