Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

That 70s Shirt posted:

You have no idea how tempting it is to do just that; to buy one and on the off-chance I get the SAB to just send it in for repair. What stops me is reports of people sending in their cameras 2 or even 3 times only to have the problem show up again. That tells me Fuji isn't actually fixing anything, and $1200 is a lot of money to gamble on a camera that will only probably be okay.

Goddammit I'm still tempted anyway.

Keep in mind that the Internet tends to amplify problems. All the people who are happily snapping away with their X100s are not posting angrily on the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

Keep in mind that the Internet tends to amplify problems. All the people who are happily snapping away with their X100s are not posting angrily on the Internet.

Pretty much this, I've had my X100 for about four months with around 3500 shutter actuations and I've had zero problems with the aperture blades being sticky. Since Fuji hasn't made any announcement about the issue then it's probably not that big of a deal. Because of the announcement and impending release of the new X-pro1, it would be so unbelievably loving stupid to turn a blind eye if there were major problems in one of their flagship products.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
I'm at almost 10k shots and never had the aperture blade problem. My x100 was a launch camera too.

I'm really on the fence about the xpro1 now. On one hand it's what I want in a camera system: smallish with a good sensor, high quality fast lenses, and a body with a nice big viewfinder. On the other hand, it's a little tiring taking photos with an AF system from a point and shoot. I was using a friend's 7D this week and was pretty jealous compared to my x100. I'll wait for a bit before I decide to give fuji all my money.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Pockyless posted:

I'm at almost 10k shots and never had the aperture blade problem. My x100 was a launch camera too.

I'm really on the fence about the xpro1 now. On one hand it's what I want in a camera system: smallish with a good sensor, high quality fast lenses, and a body with a nice big viewfinder. On the other hand, it's a little tiring taking photos with an AF system from a point and shoot. I was using a friend's 7D this week and was pretty jealous compared to my x100. I'll wait for a bit before I decide to give fuji all my money.

I thought the xpro1 had a different AF system?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
I want to see the phase detect technology from the Nikon v1 to make it to more cameras. That's a slick and speedy camera. Unfortunately Nikon is too dumb to realize that there's no replacement for displacement.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Uncle Ivan posted:

Unfortunately Nikon is too dumb to realize that there's no replacement for displacement.

That is probably the most awesome car analogy with regards to photography that I've ever heard.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Does anyone else feel the camera industry is kind of like the cell phone industry was a few years ago before everyone had droids and iphones?

Camera technology has been pretty stagnant. The main guys making cameras have been going slow on purpose, putting out new release after release of hardware with features that could be done entirely in firmware updates.

It seems like now they are making these insane mirrorless touchscreen cameras like the nex7 and fujis, the ball is starting to roll towards some crazy innovation.

I remember thinking, when I first got my clunky smart phone, that this was the start of the future of that kind of technology. In a few years, people would be carrying around computers in there pockets that would do pretty much anything a PC could do.

I'm starting to think that now with mirrorless bodies, except that I think in a few years, we are going to have these sensor bricks that anyone can write software for.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I doubt anyone is going to release an open software camera. It's not good for business if people can hack in new features as opposed to buying another camera. Mirrorless is just the next thing like how SLRs were the next thing after rangefinders.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

HPL posted:

I doubt anyone is going to release an open software camera. It's not good for business if people can hack in new features as opposed to buying another camera. Mirrorless is just the next thing like how SLRs were the next thing after rangefinders.

My husband has done some firmware programming before, and is just a very good all around programmer. I keep telling him if he could hack the 5D firmware or X100, and started offering really fine control of a bunch of stuff, he could get donations out the wazoo, but he's never convinced.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Why doesn't a company like Kodak, that is loving poo poo, realize that they could sell a lot of products by just doing something like this? Let the community write the software features and then the company wouldn't directly have to deal with patent litigation.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ease posted:

Why doesn't a company like Kodak, that is loving poo poo, realize that they could sell a lot of products by just doing something like this? Let the community write the software features and then the company wouldn't directly have to deal with patent litigation.

I think the problem is that Kodak is such a large company that anything it does has to be large. It can't be some side thing. Yeah, I'll put good money down that there are people out there that could do incredible things with the right hardware, but are there enough of them? And given Kodak's lust with point and shoots, how good would that hardware be?

It's one thing for the Arduino crowd to do something, but that's a fart in the wind relative to what Kodak needs for profit.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HPL posted:

It's good for photographers, but its not good for the Japanese photography monopoly. You see people don't want to admit that consumer photography is a monopoly and all the Japanese brands sleep together under the table. Just take a take at how fast some key techs were shared within the "big four" and now the "big seven" and you know all the Japanese work together to scam your money.

Let's say somebody make a truly open platform, a body with open mount design that can runs third party apps. As long as an open platform is available, somebody in China will make electric mount adapters that can control EF and F lenses properly. Reverse engineering is not the problem, Sigma has done it. Making it legally might be a problem.

I think is possible for a charismatic American to start a platform like that. For example, that Oakley glasses dude.

You know what I want my future camera to do? When I go out in the midday, it should be smart enough to set itself the "Image Quality priority", in other words, stay as close to F/8 as possible. When its indoor, it should be smart enough to change itself to "Minimum shutter speed priority". These ideas are really easy to implement if 3rd party software is allowed on cameras.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

whatever7 posted:

You know what I want my future camera to do? When I go out in the midday, it should be smart enough to set itself the "Image Quality priority", in other words, stay as close to F/8 as possible. When its indoor, it should be smart enough to change itself to "Minimum shutter speed priority". These ideas are really easy to implement if 3rd party software is allowed on cameras.

Auto mode on most cameras already does just that (or at least attempts to)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dissss posted:

Auto mode on most cameras already does just that (or at least attempts to)

But I want to set what the minimum shutter speed is, I don't want to close eye and pray.

Have you play FF12? I want a priority setting list like that with conditional parameters.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

whatever7 posted:

But I want to set what the minimum shutter speed is, I don't want to close eye and pray.

My cheap Panasonic point and shoot has a minimum shutter speed picture. Pretty sure its on their later M4/3rds stuff too.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Let's say somebody make a truly open platform, a body with open mount design that can runs third party apps. As long as an open platform is available, somebody in China will make electric mount adapters that can control EF and F lenses properly. Reverse engineering is not the problem, Sigma has done it. Making it legally might be a problem.
Maybe this is the beginning of an open-source camera: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/12/PolaroidAndroid

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007

dissss posted:

My cheap Panasonic point and shoot has a minimum shutter speed picture. Pretty sure its on their later M4/3rds stuff too.

I have it on the Panasonic Lumix Tz10 and Tz20, the Gf3 and my nikon D300, although I have the feeling that some of the even newer consumer nikon DSLRs don't have it - I don't recall the D3100 being able to, although I suspect it's part of the deliberate gimping thing - as an example it has no bracketing for no earthly reason that I can think of other than to shift more D5100s, would be interesting to see someone break down both camera's software and see if you could hack in some missing options.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just got an Olympus-to-NEX tilt adapter. This thing is a lot of fun.

Also got a Fujian 35mm f/1.7. For the price, it's not bad. If you need a fast prime and haven't got a lot of money, it's an okay option. Flares like a bitch though, so it needs a hood.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HPL posted:

Just got an Olympus-to-NEX tilt adapter. This thing is a lot of fun.

Also got a Fujian 35mm f/1.7. For the price, it's not bad. If you need a fast prime and haven't got a lot of money, it's an okay option. Flares like a bitch though, so it needs a hood.

How's the wide open performance? My 40mm 1.9 (taken from a QL19) also flares like a bitch but the bokeh is good.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

whatever7 posted:

How's the wide open performance? My 40mm 1.9 (taken from a QL19) also flares like a bitch but the bokeh is good.

Depends on the light. If the light is lower, then it's good in the middle, soft at the edges. If the light is strong, it all goes to hell with flare, purple fringing, chromatic aberration and what not. It would be a good portrait lens. Almost gives a sort of tilt effect.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HPL posted:

Depends on the light. If the light is lower, then it's good in the middle, soft at the edges. If the light is strong, it all goes to hell with flare, purple fringing, chromatic aberration and what not. It would be a good portrait lens. Almost gives a sort of tilt effect.

This is a CCTV lens right? Do you get double line ghosting from the bokeh?

I would have spend the money on a Konica AR 40/1.8. It's pretty sharp lens.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

There are a lot of lenses that do better, but the charm of this one is that it's small and since it is a CCTV lens, the C-mount adapter doesn't stick out like the SLR system adapters do.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Well if you want to see what an Olympus 28mm f/2.8 can do when tilted, I shot these photos today:

http://www.mikechow.com/Nature-and-Stuff/Colony-Farm-January-15-2012/21047794_JxvZzD

It's kind of boring, but you get the idea.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

According to Fujifilm France, 1590 EUR for the X-Pro 1 body... getting a little bit too high for me.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Can't you get a used M8 for that?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
/\/\ Pretty much but why would you want to?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

According to Fujifilm France, 1590 EUR for the X-Pro 1 body... getting a little bit too high for me.

Yea wow they overpriced the poo poo out of it. I am sitting this one out.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Considering that Euros will soon be worth little more than the paper they're printed on, I'd say that's probably not a bad price :)

To be fair, whoever priced the X-pro1 for the European market, probably had to take into account the current downward trend of the Euro's value.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

There were a bunch of M8s posted on the RFF classifieds within a day or so of the X-Pro announcement. I'm actually still tempted to go that route because of the bigger sensor, a guarantee that my lenses will work, and the fact that I really don't care about high ISO performance, but I don't think I could ever spend that much on something that old.

Still better than the people still paying $1500 for an Epson RD-1. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

FasterThanLight posted:

There were a bunch of M8s posted on the RFF classifieds within a day or so of the X-Pro announcement. I'm actually still tempted to go that route because of the bigger sensor, a guarantee that my lenses will work, and the fact that I really don't care about high ISO performance, but I don't think I could ever spend that much on something that old.

Bigger sensor? I think you'd better go check the specs again.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea the M8 is not full frame.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

keyframe posted:

Yea the M8 is not full frame.

Pretty sure it's APS-H, which is only 1.3 crop.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

poopinmymouth posted:

Pretty sure it's APS-H, which is only 1.3 crop.

Still, I'd expect any current APS-C sensor to out-perform the M8 and with fewer issues.

Personally, I find a NEX with focus peaking to be faster to focus than an actual rangefinder because I can compose and focus at the same time. People owe it to themselves to try it with a nice manual focus lens. It's so fast.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Yes, it is APS-H. I'm much more concerned with preserving the FOV of my wide angle lenses than sensor performance.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HPL posted:

Still, I'd expect any current APS-C sensor to out-perform the M8 and with fewer issues.

Personally, I find a NEX with focus peaking to be faster to focus than an actual rangefinder because I can compose and focus at the same time. People owe it to themselves to try it with a nice manual focus lens. It's so fast.

I find it not very accurate. Zoom-in feel much more accurate to me.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

whatever7 posted:

I find it not very accurate. Zoom-in feel much more accurate to me.

It's less accurate, but for shooting on the go, it's a million times better. And hey, if you get a NEX, you can do both at the same time!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I was hoping to get some advice from you all regarding a camera for some friends of mine.

I was at their place last night shooting photos of their new baby. I was using a NEX-5N with both a 50mm 1.8 and 24mm 2.0 FD mount lenses. They saw some of the photos on the camera's screen and the depth of focus ("blurriness" as they put it) and immediately started saying how nice the pictures are that are taken by this camera and how they want to get one. I was trying to explain the difference between those lenses and the 18-55 that comes with the camera, and a bit more today after sending them the photos edited in Lightroom that the camera is only part of what would create pictures like what they were seeing. They both don't really have any interest and just want nice pictures of their baby.

So, they went out today to return their newly bought Canon Powershot because they were not happy with the blurry and lackluster indoor pictures. They would like to get "a camera that will take nice pictures" and has good low light performance for someone who just points and shoots. I suggested a NEX-3, not knowing how much of a difference they would find between the 3C and the 3. Tried to explain every step of the way that while it would be a significant upgrade, that the photos will not look like the ones I sent them but will still be much nicer than what they are currently shooting.

I wanted to give the some other suggestions, though. I don't know if an S100 would be a good option for them perhaps? I also have not gotten into micro 4/3rds at all, so was hoping that someone here could list off a few names under 500 bucks that they might be happy with.

tldr; Friends who are not into photography want a camera better than their Canon Powershot to shoot their baby girl indoors at night for under 500 bucks - other than a NEX3, what are some suggestions I should give them?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

rio posted:

I was hoping to get some advice from you all regarding a camera for some friends of mine.

I was at their place last night shooting photos of their new baby. I was using a NEX-5N with both a 50mm 1.8 and 24mm 2.0 FD mount lenses. They saw some of the photos on the camera's screen and the depth of focus ("blurriness" as they put it) and immediately started saying how nice the pictures are that are taken by this camera and how they want to get one. I was trying to explain the difference between those lenses and the 18-55 that comes with the camera, and a bit more today after sending them the photos edited in Lightroom that the camera is only part of what would create pictures like what they were seeing. They both don't really have any interest and just want nice pictures of their baby.

So, they went out today to return their newly bought Canon Powershot because they were not happy with the blurry and lackluster indoor pictures. They would like to get "a camera that will take nice pictures" and has good low light performance for someone who just points and shoots. I suggested a NEX-3, not knowing how much of a difference they would find between the 3C and the 3. Tried to explain every step of the way that while it would be a significant upgrade, that the photos will not look like the ones I sent them but will still be much nicer than what they are currently shooting.

I wanted to give the some other suggestions, though. I don't know if an S100 would be a good option for them perhaps? I also have not gotten into micro 4/3rds at all, so was hoping that someone here could list off a few names under 500 bucks that they might be happy with.

tldr; Friends who are not into photography want a camera better than their Canon Powershot to shoot their baby girl indoors at night for under 500 bucks - other than a NEX3, what are some suggestions I should give them?
I got my gf-1 with the 20mm 1.7 pancake used in like new condition for 500. I'd recommend that setup for what they're looking for.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
5n/3c has noticeable better low light performance. I would recommend the c3/5n plus the kit lens.

If they want really good AF performance Nikon 1 probably has the best right now.

I wouldn't recommend the s100 since they already return a P&S.

Also let them know that shooting baby indoor is one of the very demanding tasks for photography equipment. Don't expect 500 is a lot of money.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 17, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Pen Mini. It's designed as a transition camera for people moving up from point and shoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iioshius
Apr 22, 2005

I just bought a new Olympus PEN PL3, and I have what I suspect is a very dumb question. I'm new to the photography thing, so please forgive me.

What sorts of photography can I do with my new camera? Can I take neat macro photos like in the macro thread? Can I buy old lenses and mount them up backwards? It's hard to separate what I might be able to do from what I probably won't based on things I see in this forum.

Sorry again for the dumb question.