Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

huh posted:

How is the production?

Is it worth the purchase price?

If it has the event audio instead of a drum circle in the background it'll be all the production values I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I won't get to see my wrestling coach for a few days and I wanted to ask here while it was fresh in my mind. I have decent sprawl, decent enough to get it most of the time on folks at my level anyway. What I'm failing at is to do anything from there. What can I do from a sprawl? Because I honestly just hold a head lock and lose the position.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
You can try to get the back you can try to go for a guillotine, or any sort of guillotine variation (anaconda, peruvian necktie etc.)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

TheKingslayer posted:

I won't get to see my wrestling coach for a few days and I wanted to ask here while it was fresh in my mind. I have decent sprawl, decent enough to get it most of the time on folks at my level anyway. What I'm failing at is to do anything from there. What can I do from a sprawl? Because I honestly just hold a head lock and lose the position.

Seatbelt to back control. Get a tight over-under grip and clear the arm on the side you're going to pass to, and when you're there, this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_rQ0kuir6E

I also recommend the martial arts thread in A/T for technique questions, since there's a lot of jits and judo dudes there who don't post in this thread.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

TheKingslayer posted:

Secret move.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Well if I knew that, it wouldn't be a secret.

widunder
May 2, 2002

TheKingslayer posted:

Well if I knew that, it wouldn't be a secret.
we got you covered

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Marcelo did that on Ben Askren when they were rolling if I recall correctly. It owned.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

:stare:
I will destroy them all now.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
From a sprawl you can leapfrog right into it. Even if you don't get the submission you've basically sunset flipped a dude.

Oh yeah it's pretty much a neck crank so don't do it if those aren't allowed. You can modify it with a gi for non-crank chokes. The secret Ezekiel choke rules.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
I like the "half secret move to crucifix" from sprawl when I'm not going "arm-in guillotine to back"

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
When did Saku release the secret move video? Was it a pre-fight promo or something?

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

When did Saku release the secret move video? Was it a pre-fight promo or something?

It's part of a humorous instructional video he put out in Japan a long time ago. A bunch of it is on youtube and I have the full one lying around somewhere.

It has some real tips (in Japanese) but it's presented in a tongue-in-cheek Sakuraba way.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I pulled off the sakuraba secret move on a guy on monday. It was hilarious and mean.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I pulled off the Secret Move last night. My coach saw me do it and asked me not to anymore, oh well :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

TheKingslayer posted:

I pulled off the Secret Move last night. My coach saw me do it and asked me not to anymore, oh well :(

Haters gonna hate. Your coach might have asked you not to do it because of the neck crank finish, though. A lot of grappling places wisely avoid neck/spine-related submissions.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Also, if you're a whitebelt, youtube-jitsu is really frowned upon, even if the move is legitimate.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

He wants me to stick to things I learned there. Which I totally understand.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
That I don't understand. I realize that doing a neck/spine/leg lock you saw on youtube once is very dangerous, but if you are only allowed to do things you learned there you're limiting yourself.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

henkman posted:

That I don't understand. I realize that doing a neck/spine/leg lock you saw on youtube once is very dangerous, but if you are only allowed to do things you learned there you're limiting yourself.

If he's a six month white belt, even up into blue he doesn't necessarily have the experience to tell good from bad, and there's plenty of bad to be found out on the web.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

henkman posted:

If he's a six month white belt, even up into blue he doesn't necessarily have the experience to tell good from bad, and there's plenty of bad to be found out on the web.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I've been choked so hard from youtub-itsu that I sometimes see double on the internet.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It was meant in the context he doesn't want me to focus on anything but fundamentals yet. I'm only two months in. total scrub. But I plan to take a crack at NAGA next month.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

See that's what I get for getting fancy and using my phone, not focusing on fundamental PC posting.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Ok, that's different then.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

I agree you should stick to fundamentals but I've always thought that for the last 5 minutes of rolling you should go hog wild with stuff you've been thinking of and seen.

Hell it's how I learned to pull of a triangle from top of side control. I saw Marcelo do it on a video and wanted to try it, my coach corrected what I was doing wrong when he saw me trying it and I've used it ever since. Nothing wrong with trying new poo poo as long as it's safe imo.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I started off my jujitsu career with Eddie Bravo's Jiu-jitsu unleashed (the stunted predecessor to mastering the rubber guard), which probably wasn't the best book to devote yourself to three months into training- but the stuff it introduced me to definitely helped me in the long run, and I wouldn't trade that influence for just instruction in the basics.
As a beginnner you should totally be focusing on the fundamentals, because those are what you'll build your entire game around, but like Blindsite says, going hog wild one in a while is probably good for you as well, so long as you're not going hog wild with flying neckcranks and reverse levitating triangles or whatever.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 13, 2012

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Did my first kimura-attempt-into-sweep the other night. drat but Our Gay Sport is so much fun.

It looks like my gym also has a no-gi sport sambo class that runs a couple times a week. That sounds weird enough to be really interesting.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Even Eddie's goofy poo poo is okay. He's a legit bb with high level competitive experience.

It's more a problem when someone gets on YouTube and starts practicing some random blue belt's dumb rear end secret move.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

It's more a problem when someone gets on YouTube and starts practicing some random blue belt's dumb rear end secret move.

Speaking of, I am a dumb rear end blue belt in every way but the literal one, and I've considered making some youtube instructional videos, because instructing is pretty fun and doing some video production again would probably be cool as well-
But I've gathered there's a little bit of hostility to nobodies making instructional videos here.
Is the idea maximum hitler from the start, or does the problem lie with unqualified people teaching complicated (or SECRET!!)techniques wrong or in a dangerous manner?
I imagine I'd be sticking to basics, anyway.

The videos would mostly be for people at my club, since I'll be responsible for a lot of the grappling instruction that'll be going down in the near future- also, it'd be in Norwegian, so I'm not interested in, nor would I be competing with a hundred other jits youtubers-- afaik, there aren't any Norwegian grappling technique videos, anyway.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Xguard86 posted:

Even Eddie's goofy poo poo is okay. He's a legit bb with high level competitive experience.

But what about all the valuable tips you would miss out on from guys like this!?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

I watched ask of Eddie's rubber guard stuff and the half guard sweeps have actually been really useful in rolling. I'm not perfect at it, but it surprises people.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

TheKingslayer posted:

I watched ask of Eddie's rubber guard stuff and the half guard sweeps have actually been really useful in rolling. I'm not perfect at it, but it surprises people.

The most universally useful move I've gotten out of 10th planet is the lockdown. If you're up against someone who hasn't seen it before, it's just one of those positions that can stump people completely. I was surprised to find myself showing the move to several people who'd never seen it before at the MG academy when I first started training there. Maybe it just isn't super common in BJJ, but it's one of the first half guard positions my TJJ club shows new members.
Hell, it's the first (and only) move I've ever pulled on a brown belt that didn't result in me immediatedly getting mauled.
If you get good at the whip-up from the lockdown, you can easily make the half guard a very offensive position in terms of sweeps.

Edit: For maximum hilarity, you can actually submit folks with the lockdown alone if they haven't experienced it before/have terrible flexibility.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 13, 2012

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
The lockdown/whip-up thing from bottom half-guard helped me a lot when I first started from getting out from under half-guard pressure.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I can pretty much ID any who had read 10th Planet stuff by whether they look confused when the lock down happens. Though it was terrifying the first time someone blasted right through it. Then I found out he was the local 10th Planet hotbox leader.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Lockdowns make me nervous ever since someone showed me that counter where you stand up and then sit back down again and can basically make the guy's knee explode like a party favour if you're in a bad mood. :gonk:

e: this one basically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2eaaTmLq00

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

colonel_korn posted:

Lockdowns make me nervous ever since someone showed me that counter where you stand up and then sit back down again and can basically make the guy's knee explode like a party favour if you're in a bad mood. :gonk:

e: this one basically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2eaaTmLq00

I've seen passes like that before, but it seems to me that if you do the lockdown properly and extend your legs (and especially if you're working to break down his posture) he shouldn't be able to jump up like that in the first place.
Although, I could be very, very wrong!

E; Here's Eddie Bravo himself showing a lockdown pass!; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y0ZlWBVSU8&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLF8DB8AD672E03927
I don't do exactly what he does in that pass, but I do the bit where he grabs around both legs, and I've had a lot of success passing people's lockdown with that- but then, I've probably never met anyone (including myself) that's very good at the lockdown.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 13, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002
why do 10th planet dudes wear gi pants

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

Speaking of, I am a dumb rear end blue belt in every way but the literal one, and I've considered making some youtube instructional videos, because instructing is pretty fun and doing some video production again would probably be cool as well-
But I've gathered there's a little bit of hostility to nobodies making instructional videos here.
Is the idea maximum hitler from the start, or does the problem lie with unqualified people teaching complicated (or SECRET!!)techniques wrong or in a dangerous manner?
I imagine I'd be sticking to basics, anyway.

The videos would mostly be for people at my club, since I'll be responsible for a lot of the grappling instruction that'll be going down in the near future- also, it'd be in Norwegian, so I'm not interested in, nor would I be competing with a hundred other jits youtubers-- afaik, there aren't any Norwegian grappling technique videos, anyway.

do whatever you want. It's the viewers job to pick what to watch

If there's nothing in Norwegian anyway, a basics video, even from a blue belt, is probably more a benefit than detriment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The lockdown can be a useful tool but focusing on it too much at lower levels can hurt your game, because it retards your ability to get up on your side which is where the vast majority of your offense is going to come from in half guard.

The pass Bravo shows is a pretty standard half guard pass; Vitor Ribeiro uses it a lot. You're getting your arms low enough down his thighs that when you lock your hands and bear down with your weight through your shoulder it pins his knees together, and when you sprawl back it breaks the half-guard.