Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
It's a good size. I did a bag of 8 chicken breasts the other day. It'll fit about 8 servings of whatever meat goes in, probably more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

Dane posted:

Are people happy with the size of the Sous Vide Supreme demi? It's the only model I can find here.

Unless you're cooking for some massive dinner party, there is plenty of room

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

LTBS posted:

Is there a good deli slicer that can get really thin slices that isn't some $600+ monster?

I've never even thought about getting a deli slicer, but I see amazon has a bunch from $1-300. No idea how good they are, but some get pretty good ratings.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

taqueso posted:

I've never even thought about getting a deli slicer, but I see amazon has a bunch from $1-300. No idea how good they are, but some get pretty good ratings.

I've looked through there and was wondering if anyone had one. I'm ok if it makes thick slices but I'd like it to make good thin slices too. I might just bite the bullet and get a used hobart or something.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Pull the noodle assembly out, cut off all the bent noodles with scissors, put back in and it works perfectly again. In fact, the noodles are less likely to bend after you've snipped some off and made some breathing room for them

Jeez what is it with you and throwing good stuff away instead of fixing it?

I never owned one, but that's what happened to my friend's. I'll tell him it's fixable.

As far as the knife thing goes, I've never actually thrown one away because I (1) know how to use a whetstone and (2) have a bunch of whetstones that were gifts. I've only sharpened it once though, when I got it. poo poo's expensive though - my point is if you're cheaping out by buying cheap (if great for the price) knives, you probably don't have an expensive sharpening system laying around. And if you're going to shell out for the sharpening system, you probably have knives that are better than Victorinox.

But it's much better if people assume the worst and say I "sicken" them. It's totally cool to be an rear end in a top hat for no reason! (That isn't, of course, directed at you Steve Yun).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Achmed Jones posted:

As far as the knife thing goes, I've never actually thrown one away because I (1) know how to use a whetstone and (2) have a bunch of whetstones that were gifts. I've only sharpened it once though, when I got it. poo poo's expensive though - my point is if you're cheaping out by buying cheap (if great for the price) knives, you probably don't have an expensive sharpening system laying around. And if you're going to shell out for the sharpening system, you probably have knives that are better than Victorinox.
A 8" fine/medium duplex Norton stone will run you around US$20 and if you're just sharpening one or two knives on it, it'll last longer than you will. One of those Sharpmaker things runs around US$45 and it'll last about as long. We're not exactly talking about huge Scrooge McDuck piles of cash here. You'd literally have to use the stone exactly once and the Sharpmaker exactly twice to recover the cost of ownership versus chucking the knife and buying another one.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
After 2 incidents in as many weeks of having my thermometers show inaccurate temps, I am REALMAD about bimetallic spring thermometers. Does anyone have recommendations for a deep fry thermometer that is alcohol? Also is there anything super awesome for the oven? Something easy to read while the door closed may keep the dial one a champ here. The old one I had got fell on the oven floor a lot while baking/roasting and I'm about to get the dremel out on this new one just to make it affix better to my rack. I'm fine tossing it if there's something better.

The deep fry thermometer I just threw away was registering around 325 when my Thermapen said 490!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Generalisimo Halal posted:

Trying to avoid buying ikea, moved into a new place and I'd rather have something a bit sturdier.

I'm really happy with the like 3x3 butcher block / island cart I got from ikea. it was like 50 bucks, has wheels, is really sturdy and hasn't warped at all - I don't know what more I could want from it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hed posted:

After 2 incidents in as many weeks of having my thermometers show inaccurate temps, I am REALMAD about bimetallic spring thermometers. Does anyone have recommendations for a deep fry thermometer that is alcohol? Also is there anything super awesome for the oven? Something easy to read while the door closed may keep the dial one a champ here. The old one I had got fell on the oven floor a lot while baking/roasting and I'm about to get the dremel out on this new one just to make it affix better to my rack. I'm fine tossing it if there's something better.

The deep fry thermometer I just threw away was registering around 325 when my Thermapen said 490!

Do they even make candy thermometers with springs? I thought they were all $10 alcohol deals

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 12, 2012

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

mindphlux posted:

I'm really happy with the like 3x3 butcher block / island cart I got from ikea. it was like 50 bucks, has wheels, is really sturdy and hasn't warped at all - I don't know what more I could want from it.

You know what? I'm just going to go for the ikea. Enough of you guys have said it works, and I don't want to spend any more than I need.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

LTBS posted:

I've looked through there and was wondering if anyone had one. I'm ok if it makes thick slices but I'd like it to make good thin slices too. I might just bite the bullet and get a used hobart or something.

BOOM! Deal of the century... possibly. I called up a local restaurant supply store to talk to them about their slicers. They said they had a used Hobart slicer. I asked "How much?" fully expecting $500+ and the guy said $150. I left work 15 minutes later to go grab that poo poo. Looks like it's a Hobart 410 possibly.

Here it is in all its glory (please excuse the dirty car):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LTBS fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 12, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Motherfucker

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That is loving gorgeous holy poo poo.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I hate you so much right now.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

LTBS posted:

BOOM! Deal of the century... possibly. I called up a local restaurant supply store to talk to them about their slicers. They said they had a used Hobart slicer. I asked "How much?" fully expecting $500+ and the guy said $150. I left work 15 minutes later to go grab that poo poo. Looks like it's a Hobart 410 possibly.

Here it is in all its glory (please excuse the dirty car):

So... what exactly do you intend on doing with that meat slicer?

(Sorry... the guy from the restaurant supply store always asks what people intend to do with the pizza peels. I have no idea why.)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cheap paddles, duh.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

kiteless posted:

So... what exactly do you intend on doing with that meat slicer?

Bet he's gonna cut some meat.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Kenning posted:

Bet he's gonna cut some meat.

nah. It's just for decoration :v:

(I have 50lbs of pork belly, a couple duck breasts, pink salt, a shitload of salt and spices, and Charcuterie)

Edit: I'll have to get the blade sharpened and get some food safe machine oil, but other than that, it runs like a loving champ.

Zirah
Feb 18, 2006

Any recommendations for a bread machine? I assume Zojirushi have the best ones on the market, but they are out of my price range, I'd like to stay under $100.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I have the Cuisinart CBK-100 which does what I need it to do.

Amazon has the CBK-200 on sale for $95.99 right now too.

It looks like the CBK-200 has a lot of different options on it and if it had been that cheap when I got mine, I would have gotten the 200.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Does anyone have a Zassenhaus manual grinder? I'm after a decent burr grinder for as little money as possible. Manual seems like the way to go.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My bread machine recommendation is don't. I got a Panasonic as a gift, and while it is a perfectly good bread machine, no bread that I have made using it (including those where I used the dough function to make a poolish or sponge) has come close to a no-knead bread for texture or flavour. The only thing I'd use it for now is brioche.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

My bread machine recommendation is don't. I got a Panasonic as a gift, and while it is a perfectly good bread machine, no bread that I have made using it (including those where I used the dough function to make a poolish or sponge) has come close to a no-knead bread for texture or flavour. The only thing I'd use it for now is brioche.

I haven't used a bread machine in years, but my parents used to have one back in the day. I never used the actual 'bake' function, but it worked really really well as a kneader / proofbox I thought. I'd just dump all my poo poo in there and let it go to town, then dump my proofed dough out and shape it into loaves and bake. ymmv

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

icehewk posted:

Does anyone have a Zassenhaus manual grinder? I'm after a decent burr grinder for as little money as possible. Manual seems like the way to go.

Huh, I picked up a manual burr grinder with adjustable grind for about $20 or so at the local everything store. The box is smaller and the lever arm is shorter than the Zassenhaus units you mention but otherwise it works great for manually grinding up beans. I remember my parents having much the same model when I was a wee lad and so that would be the first part of making coffee is the grrrrrr of the grinder.

When I was old enough to crank it around it was pretty neat to help out with. If you have any kids, put them to work grinding your coffee because otherwise it's a pain.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

I haven't used a bread machine in years, but my parents used to have one back in the day. I never used the actual 'bake' function, but it worked really really well as a kneader / proofbox I thought. I'd just dump all my poo poo in there and let it go to town, then dump my proofed dough out and shape it into loaves and bake. ymmv
Yeah, I've used it for that but it's never been as good as no-knead. I think its because that even when using a sponge you have only a portion of the dough with a longer ferment, whereas with no-knead all the dough is bubbling away for 12 hours or what have you. I firmly believe that a longer ferment is the key to good bread. I think if one was making sourdough (alas, not my wife's favourite) then the bread machine as a kneading and proofing tool would be good, but if one already has something like a good stand mixer which could knead, the money could be better spent elsewhere.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

Use it to make risotto.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Use it to make risotto.

Pretty much this.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

Yeah, I've used it for that but it's never been as good as no-knead. I think its because that even when using a sponge you have only a portion of the dough with a longer ferment, whereas with no-knead all the dough is bubbling away for 12 hours or what have you. I firmly believe that a longer ferment is the key to good bread. I think if one was making sourdough (alas, not my wife's favourite) then the bread machine as a kneading and proofing tool would be good, but if one already has something like a good stand mixer which could knead, the money could be better spent elsewhere.

I know this is a different thread, but I've never done this 'no-knead' thing. it sounds gimmicky, but I trust your judgment - do you have a link or particular recipe/technique you'd recommend checking out? my bread sucks, guess I should give everything a try.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Yeah, a bread machine isn't going to do really give you much on a lot of breads. And it's totally impossible for a nice ciabatta or any of those other fancy high-hydration things where you just do funny things like slap the dough a few times. I guess the proofing/rising environment thing can be nice if you have lovely heating or something though, but then again maybe your oven can do the same thing (on min settings, maybe with the door propped open a little).

On the other hand, I don't have a kitchenaid and I will pull out my Zojirushi for beating up some thick bread dough for a long time. Like pizza dough or anything where you'd want something to knead while you pour stuff in, or just knead hard for a good 10-15 min.

And yeah, if your bread machine has a heat/stir jam function, you can use it for risotto. I am 100% serious about this, I do it all the time; it comes out perfect as long as you don't go over about uh... 2 cups dried rice-worth.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Zirah posted:

Any recommendations for a bread machine? I assume Zojirushi have the best ones on the market, but they are out of my price range, I'd like to stay under $100.
I'm totally not joking when I say that if you check the craigslist or freecycle, you'll be able to snag a bread machine for about $5, because plenty of people who buy one end up on fatkins, and won't use it anymore. My mum picks up a new one for free every town she goes to, because it's easier than carting it around in her luggage when she moves.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

mindphlux posted:

I know this is a different thread, but I've never done this 'no-knead' thing. it sounds gimmicky, but I trust your judgment - do you have a link or particular recipe/technique you'd recommend checking out? my bread sucks, guess I should give everything a try.

Here is a really good baguette recipe using a long cold ferment. It's not one of the no-knead recipes but the long ferment is the key:

http://www.shaboomskitchen.com/archives/bread/painlancienne.html

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I am looking for a reasonably priced, small pressure cooker.

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-01362-6-Quart-Stainless-Pressure/dp/B00006ISG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326574258&sr=8-1 <-- will this do? Any opinions on brands, etc?

I'm mainly going to be using them to cook daal and beans. Any other obvious foods I should be cooking in there to save time? I figure pretty much anything, but I like the idea of still cooking veggies stovetop to a particular doneness.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Today I took out one of my better Santoku knives and noticed it has a few rust spots on it most likely due to one of my family members forgetting to dry it after use.:argh:

Does anyone know of a good product that can remove rust spots on knives? It'll be better if the product is common enough to be bought in just about any retail store so shipping rates for Canada are usually ridiculously high.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Zettace posted:

Today I took out one of my better Santoku knives and noticed it has a few rust spots on it most likely due to one of my family members forgetting to dry it after use.:argh:

Does anyone know of a good product that can remove rust spots on knives? It'll be better if the product is common enough to be bought in just about any retail store so shipping rates for Canada are usually ridiculously high.

A hot solution of lemon juice should do it, actually. I use juice of 1 lemon in about 1 cup of steaming water. Soak a paper towel in it, and start rubbing it off. If the rust is bad you may have to soak the blade for a few minutes. Wash and dry the knife afterwards, then apply a little mineral oil afterwards even if you don't normally.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zettace posted:

Steel wool.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

mich posted:

Here is a really good baguette recipe using a long cold ferment. It's not one of the no-knead recipes but the long ferment is the key:

http://www.shaboomskitchen.com/archives/bread/painlancienne.html

This recipe makes a killer pizza dough too. Photographic evidence:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

A hot solution of lemon juice should do it, actually. I use juice of 1 lemon in about 1 cup of steaming water. Soak a paper towel in it, and start rubbing it off. If the rust is bad you may have to soak the blade for a few minutes. Wash and dry the knife afterwards, then apply a little mineral oil afterwards even if you don't normally.
This worked really well. Thanks.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Planet X posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-01362-6-Quart-Stainless-Pressure/dp/B00006ISG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326574258&sr=8-1 <-- will this do? Any opinions on brands, etc?

I'm mainly going to be using them to cook daal and beans. Any other obvious foods I should be cooking in there to save time? I figure pretty much anything, but I like the idea of still cooking veggies stovetop to a particular doneness.
I can't say that I put it through too much wear and tear, but I have this exact model that you linked and I like it. All the pieces seem to be of decent quality, and it pretty much works as advertised. I guess that sounds like faint praise, but that's really all I've asked it to do.

Beans are a pretty good bet. I don't tend to do veggies in mine because I have no confidence in being able to cook them properly without constantly poking at them. Mostly I use mine to be able to put dinner on the table within a reasonable time even after getting home from work at 5:00pm. I make a fairly tasty chili in about 45 minutes (that would probably make any real chili cook feel shame and anger at my insolence).

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Planet X posted:

I have that exact model. I would strongly suggest getting one size bigger though. When I'm making my daal and beans, I like to also put a stainless steel bowl with rice (and enough water to cook it in), and float it on the beans. That way, I knock out two things at the same time, and have dinner done sooner. If my pressure cooker were a bit bigger, I'd be able to fit a second bowl atop the rice, and steam some veg of my choosing too.

That being said, the Presto is a champ. The lady who bought me the one I own had a presto before that one for about 25 years that she trusts. She also uses it to make daal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Yond Cassius posted:

Hmm. Is it the acid? Would vinegar work too?

• Locked thread