Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
also get a shucker with cross bars..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
oops: wrong thread

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 13, 2012

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Xandu posted:

Bibiana sounds like what you're looking for.

edit: I also like Birch and Barley, Rasika, and BlackSalt a lot, but they don't really fit your criteria.

Bibiana res on Sunday, can't wait.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
What am I missing? This needs.... something.

Making some on-the-fly chilli. Here's what I have simmering away so far:

- Well-browned ground meat. By well-browned, I mean well seared in the cast iron.
- thick-chopped onions and red/yellow bell peppers, carmalized in the cast iron after the beef
- 3 beans: black, red kidney and pink kidney (just tossing in what I had on hand)
- fair amount of chilli powder
- Tangerine zest (for some reason this sounded good to me)
- a dash of hickory liquid smoke
- a couple large cans of crushed tomatoes
- salt/pepper
- edit: garlic powder

It smells ok, but is missing some depth when I gave it a taste. I don't want to dump a ton of additional smoke or chilli powder into it. The taste is almost too "bright" and fruity (yeah, I know... zest) like a chinese dish.

So, what am I missing?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 13, 2012

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

- Well-browned ground meat. By well-browned, I mean well seared in the cast iron.
- thick-chopped onions and red/yellow bell peppers, carmalized in the cast iron after the beef
- 3 beans: black, red kidney and pink kidney (just tossing in what I had on hand)
- salt/pepper

It smells ok, but is missing some depth when I gave it a taste. I don't want to dump a ton of additional smoke or chilli powder into it. The taste is almost too "bright" and fruity (yeah, I know... zest) like a chinese dish.

So, what am I missing?

garlic and cumin?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

squigadoo posted:

garlic and cumin?

Ah, I forgot to include the garlic powder on the list of stuff already in it.
Cumin... I do that in stews.

Fake edit: seems like cumin is helping a great deal. Will give it a while to mingle and have another taste.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Seconding cumin. Also, crushed red pepper flakes.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've heard of (never tried it) putting cocoa powder into chili, maybe that would add some darker flavor to it? Just a bit though, I imagine, you wouldn't want to overpower chili with cocoa powder.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

- salt/pepper
- edit: garlic powder

So, what am I missing?

acid? try adding just a little red wine vinegar. A splash of OJ might also brighten it up.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Eeyo posted:

I've heard of (never tried it) putting cocoa powder into chili, maybe that would add some darker flavor to it? Just a bit though, I imagine, you wouldn't want to overpower chili with cocoa powder.

Use 70-85% chocolate, and depending on the size of the batch, about 100g of it (for a normal sized batch)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

acid? try adding just a little red wine vinegar. A splash of OJ might also brighten it up.

Tomatoes already in there for acid. He's looking to bring down the bright. Some whiskey on the other hand, hmm. Probably would have to add too much to get a flavor to come through, though; a lot in there to compete with.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Eeyo posted:

I've heard of using chili pepper in chocolate, may as well dabble with the reverse.

edit: It has been choco'd (cocoa'd)

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 13, 2012

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Some dark beer, or whiskey.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Hmm - anchovies!

Risita
Dec 8, 2005
I made the Goons with Spoons Chipotle Pesto Pasta recipe (http://goonswithspoons.com/Chipotle_Pesto_Pasta) the other day. While it was generally tasty, I didn't like how the sauce stuck to the spinach and created big gobs of saucy-spinachy-stuff. What other vegetables would be good to use instead? Zucchini and mushrooms, maybe?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Tomatoes already in there for acid. He's looking to bring down the bright. Some whiskey on the other hand, hmm. Probably would have to add too much to get a flavor to come through, though; a lot in there to compete with.

Wow, I can't read- I totally missed the "too bright" bit. :)

I wouldn't add much booze to the finished product since you'll get more raw alcohol taste than flavor. Deglazing the pan with whiskey or beer (or anything) would have been a good idea, but you can't unbreak an egg.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

If you put a bit of liquid nitrogen on the hinge they'll pop right open.

I know this is last page, but if anyone can get a video of this, I'd love you! My searches have been unsuccessful

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!
Boyfriend is requesting a berry pie for his birthday this week, and I've never made a pie before. As usual, internet instructions vary widely and don't all seem so trustworthy. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

drat Your Eyes! posted:

Boyfriend is requesting a berry pie for his birthday this week, and I've never made a pie before. As usual, internet instructions vary widely and don't all seem so trustworthy. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Oh poo poo, I have this one. One sec.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Anyone have a good recipe for butter fudge? Preferably on the crumblier side of things, if possible.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Here's a cherry pie recipe that I built out of a couple of others that I like. It has caused actual swooning, I vouch for it wholeheartedly.

-=M=-

If you are going to make this with a crust, make the crust a day ahead of time and put it in the fridge overnight as a ball (don't roll it out until you're assembling the pie); wrap it tightly in plastic cling wrap so it doesn't dry out or absorb any fridge odors.

Tools:
a 9-inch pie pan, deep (less than an inch deep will overflow). This recipe is for a glass or ceramic pan, metal may not work as well.
spray oil or a small amount of butter to coat the inside of the pie pan
cookie sheet (must be at least as wide and long as the pie pan)
can opener
measuring spoons
measuring cups (dry and wet)
quart(ish) mixing bowl
pint(ish) mixing bowl
stiff flexible spatula
solid mixing spoon
timer
wax paper (only needed for a crust)
rolling pin (crust only)
kitchen scissors (crust only)

Oven:
Preheat to 425F.
Set the shelf for the pie at 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the over (so the pie as it bakes will be roughly at the middle height). Put the cookie sheet on the shelf.

Filling:
1 cup white/granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2x 12 ounce cans whole pitted sour cherries (packed in water)
1x 12 ounce can whole pitted sweet cherries (packed in water)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Some areas of the US don't have canned sweet cherries commonly available, but the Oregon brand (while usually about twice the price of store brand) of sour cherries is almost everywhere. If you can only find sour cherries, decrease the lemon juice by 1 teaspoon. If you can only find sweet cherries, add 2 extra teaspoons of lemon juice.

Topping:
1 cup oats, whole or cut
1 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter

-=M=-

First, put the butter for your topping in the freezer.
In the quart bowl, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Open the cherry cans and drain them well (pushing the cut lids in with the can upside-down works nicely); save the liquid because it's basically cherried water and is dynamite in iced tea or whipped cream. Add the cherries, lemon juice, and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix everything up. Set the bowl to the side.

Get the butter out of the freezer and dice it into small pieces. In the pint bowl, mix the oats, brown sugar, and butter. Set the bowl to the side.

-=M=-

If you are not using a crust, skip to the next part, about filling the pan.

Using a crust? Pull your dough out of the fridge. Clear and clean a 20-inchx20-inch space on your countertop, make sure it's dry, and drop a good wad of flour in the center of the area. Tear off a sheet of wax paper roughly 20 inches long. Mash the dough-ball slowly between your hands until it's warmed up enough to be flexible without cracking open. Flatten it to about 5 inches across, lay it down on the flour, and then flip it. Put the wax paper down on top, and roll the dough in every direction. Try not to go the same way twice, you're aiming for even distribution of force. If the crust starts to split, try to come towards it with the rolling pin almost perpendicular to the split. If it all goes to hell, you can ball it up and try again but it will be twice as difficult (and a heavier crust) because of the flour that's been rolled into it already.

If you think your dough is rolled out large enough, grab the pie pan and put it face down on the wax paper. Do you have a good inch of extra dough all the way around the pan? If not, keep rolling. If you're done, remove the wax paper and carefully roll the dough up like a rug. Move it to one side of the pie pan and carefully unroll it across the pan. If there's any tears, carefully overlap the edges and push them together (you can wet your finger with milk and wet the edges with your finger for the best repair).

Here's the tricky part: you have air-space between the dough and the pan in the corner, probably all the way around. Gently lift the dough with one hand from the side so that it's vertical and use your other hand to settle it into the corner, then proceed around the pan doing this. It will leave the dough bunched up at the top; this is okay. Take your kitchen scissors and cut off any dough that's more than an inch from the pan.

Look at your hand, and pinch your thumbtip to your index and middle fingertips, with a bit of a gap between the fingertips. Now do the same pinch to the pie crust with your thumb inside the pie pan, folding the extra up against the outside of the crust. Go all the way around, using the first finger's spot to center the second finger.

-=M=-

Pour your filling into the pan, and spread it so that the top is roughly even. Take small handfuls of the topping and try to evenly cover the filling with it.

Put it in the oven; try to center it in the middle of the oven so air-flow will be even on all sides. Bake at 475F for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375F. Bake at 375F until the filling is bubbling all around. Set the timer for 45 minutes and check in 5 minute intervals after that.

When it comes out of the oven, put it on a cooling rack so it can cool evenly. If it has been running over a little in the oven, fold some paper towels to go between your potholders/oven mitts and the pie pan so you don't have to wash your potholders.

You will want to eat it hot, but try to restrain yourself. Fruit pies are not finished cooking until they cool down; in pectin-rich pies like apple or peach, you are waiting for the pectin to set, in a pie like this you're waiting for the cornstarch to do the same thing. The pie will be very runny until it cools to room temperature. As a side note, pectin is better than cornstarch as a thickener for berry pies, and if you grate an apple into the filling of a berry pie it's sort of amazing how much nicer it comes out.

-=M=-

While you wait for the pie to cool, why not make some fresh whipped cream? Heavy whipping cream and a mixer or a set of electric eggbeaters, plus cherry juice (you saved that, right?) or some Amaretto. Or any flavoring you want, those are just suggestions. I personally like my whipped cream made with white port, but that's "special-occasions expensive". Remember, good whipped cream will stay where you left it when you drag a finger through it. If it slides away, it needs more beating.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've been making indian curry, but I don't feel like it's salty. All the recipes I've ever seen for it don't have any salt added to them. Should I salt it, or would my other seasonings be off? I serve it over brown rice, so that sort of amplifies it, and I don't see any salt added to the recipes I've found.

I do (spicy) curry powder, ginger, garam masala, and ground fenugreek seed, with assorted vegetables and coconut milk.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've been making indian curry, but I don't feel like it's salty. All the recipes I've ever seen for it don't have any salt added to them. Should I salt it, or would my other seasonings be off? I serve it over brown rice, so that sort of amplifies it, and I don't see any salt added to the recipes I've found.

I do (spicy) curry powder, ginger, garam masala, and ground fenugreek seed, with assorted vegetables and coconut milk.

salt doesn't change the balance of spices at all. It is the volume knob on all of them collectively. Use salt, even if the recipe doesn't mention it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is it just supposed to be a little bland, like is that part of the traditional dish or something? I'm just wondering why I never saw salt in any of the recipes.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is it just supposed to be a little bland, like is that part of the traditional dish or something? I'm just wondering why I never saw salt in any of the recipes.

if the recipe says "curry powder" anywhere in the ingredients list, it is safe to say that it is not traditional.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

why would you ever want a dish to be bland

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Just add some salt. Are you so slavishly keen on authenticity that you're not prepared to use your brain when following a recipe? Even if Indian food were traditionally bland (it's not), if you think something needs salt, add salt. There's no point in sticking exactly to a recipe if you don't like the end result.

Edit: The only reason I can think of is that you want to brag about how authentic a dish is. Which is pointless, especially when it comes to curry. Curry recipes are entirely mutable, that's half the fun of them.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
the salt is implied

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yes posted:

why would you ever want a dish to be bland

Religious reasons.

minema
May 31, 2011
Somewhat ambitiously, I've decided to cook steak for my boyfriend tonight, but I'm struggling already. How much is a good amount? There are sirloin steaks on offer in the supermarket near me, and they're all about 250g. Is that too much or not?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

minema posted:

Somewhat ambitiously, I've decided to cook steak for my boyfriend tonight, but I'm struggling already. How much is a good amount? There are sirloin steaks on offer in the supermarket near me, and they're all about 250g. Is that too much or not?

Around here that barely qualifies as a steak, but you're somewhere that uses metric so I don't know how available a good thick steak is. A good hunk of meat around 3-5 cm thick seared on an insanely hot cast iron pan (as in preheated in a 500 degree oven for an hour before use, may require welding gloves to handle) for a minute per side and tossed back in the 500 degree oven for another 2-3 minutes per side is something hard to beat.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

minema posted:

200g-300g is a nice amount of steak for one person, in my experience. Assuming you have enough veg and stuff to go with it.

Tomorrow, I want to try and make this Black Forest Gateaux:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/blackforestgateaux_74843

The recipe calls for tins of black cherries, but I don't know if the cherries I've found around town are actually black. They're in jars and they're a dark red color, will it mess up the cake if I use them?

Also, I need to heat cream up to scalding temperature (which I think is about 80 degrees C). Unfortunately, I don't have a thermometer :( Is there a way to tell when the cream is hot enough by eye somehow?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

200g-300g is a nice amount of steak for one person, in my experience. Assuming you have enough veg and stuff to go with it.

Tomorrow, I want to try and make this Black Forest Gateaux:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/blackforestgateaux_74843

The recipe calls for tins of black cherries, but I don't know if the cherries I've found around town are actually black. They're in jars and they're a dark red color, will it mess up the cake if I use them?

Also, I need to heat cream up to scalding temperature (which I think is about 80 degrees C). Unfortunately, I don't have a thermometer :( Is there a way to tell when the cream is hot enough by eye somehow?

Your cherries will be fine. For the cream, just heat it until you see bubbles rising and then pour it over the chocolate.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Darval posted:

I know this is last page, but if anyone can get a video of this, I'd love you! My searches have been unsuccessful

No video, but: http://modernistcuisine.com/2011/12/behind-the-scenes-at-a-lab-dinner-part-2/

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I love Indian food, and would like to be brave and attempt to start cooking it on my own.

Anyone have a good cookbook recommendation for the basics? I prefer to learn the basics first then branch off into the fancier versions if at all possible.

If it helps any, my husband loves chicken vindaloo, and I am a lamb korma/rogan josh fan. I have been looking online, but I don't really know if the ones I am looking at are good for beginners or not.

minema
May 31, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Thanks for the help, I got a couple of 275g steaks and I'm planning on having baby potatoes, peas and maybe some carrots with it. Any cooking tips in general for someone who's never cooked a steak before? I know he likes his pretty well done.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
/\/\

250g is a perfectly reasonable portion, although when it comes to steak, guys prefer unreasonable portions.

Please don't overcook it. It's better to eat raw beef than to murder a steak. Rub it with spices, lots of salt and a wee bit of oil (high smoke point oil, like coconut or corn or avocado). Heat up a cast iron pan in the oven (crank up the oven as hot as it goes), turn on the burner to the max. Turn off your fire alarms and open your windows. After 20 minutes, take the pan out of the oven, put it on the hot burner and put the steak on it. It will smoke. A lot. You'll think it's burning. Then you'll think it's on fire. But everything is fine, don't touch the steak for two minutes. That's two minutes on each side for a nice medium rare. After that put the steaks on a plate and cover them with a lid or wrap the plate with aluminum foil for 5 minutes.

Cowcatcher fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 14, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Amethyste posted:

I love Indian food, and would like to be brave and attempt to start cooking it on my own.

Anyone have a good cookbook recommendation for the basics? I prefer to learn the basics first then branch off into the fancier versions if at all possible.

If it helps any, my husband loves chicken vindaloo, and I am a lamb korma/rogan josh fan. I have been looking online, but I don't really know if the ones I am looking at are good for beginners or not.

Manjula's Kitchen is a great starting point for Indian food, although she doesn't have any meat recipes.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Amethyste posted:

Although a little tilted towards North Indian food, Madhur Jaffrey's An Invitation to Indian Cooking is a solid work.

http://www.amazon.com/Invitation-Indian-Cooking-Vintage/dp/0375712119

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Psychobabble posted:

Your cherries will be fine. For the cream, just heat it until you see bubbles rising and then pour it over the chocolate.

Got it, thanks!