Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

axolotl farmer posted:

why isn't every room a holodeck?

in Eon by Gear Bear, every room is a holodeck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

sometimes i try to figure out how the holodeck handles multiple people using it while spread out over an area greater than the area of the holodeck and just give up because holodecks are dumb and holodeck episodes were dumb

the way i figure is that everyone is actually just suspended in air by a system of tractors/repulsors, with the holodeck moving people around and providing feedback as needed.

like, if one dude runs away from the other, they'll both still be ~10 feet from each other but be seeing and experiencing entirely different things.

coaxmetal posted:

I enjoy the fact that some of the people here take the fiction semi-seirously.

it's fun, shut up. :mad:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

so it would take more energy to make some holograms than to accelerate all that furinture, terminals and bulkheads to warp speed?

I think my spergbergers is flaring up, but that's maybe expected from discussing Star Trek on the internet.

yeah but its because the warp drive is only affected by mass around the nacelle mounting points. we learn this in the worst episode of any star trek series ever: threshold.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

duTrieux posted:

the way i figure is that everyone is actually just suspended in air by a system of tractors/repulsors, with the holodeck moving people around and providing feedback as needed.

like, if one dude runs away from the other, they'll both still be ~10 feet from each other but be seeing and experiencing entirely different things.

yeah but i mean it must be weird as poo poo to try and project an individual experience and scale everything. im sure a future computer could handle it but its crazy poo poo

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

duTrieux posted:

I wasn't being ironic, I do enjoy it. It is fun. Carry on.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

so it would take more energy to make some holograms than to accelerate all that furinture, terminals and bulkheads to warp speed?

I think my spergbergers is flaring up, but that's maybe expected from discussing Star Trek on the internet.

you don't "accelerate" to warp, it's not like trying to accelerate to the speed of light which is impossible

instead the ship goes into subspace, which is space that exists beneath regular space :eng101:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

NINbuntu 64 posted:

yeah but its because the warp drive is only affected by mass around the nacelle mounting points. we learn this in the worst episode of any star trek series ever: threshold.

oh goddamn it :ughh:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

axolotl farmer posted:

ugh god space is the thing that's moving

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Kirk posted:

instead the ship goes into subspace, which is space that exists beneath regular space :eng101:
glad to see those latin classes paid off for you, Bipaternus

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
star trek time travel bugs me because they're always like "oh you're $device's inventor?!?! oh here u go here's $device" and that's the shittiest thing ever

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

JawnV6 posted:

that's the shittiest thing ever

rather than expand on this i'll just link
http://www.scribd.com/doc/23333752/William-Morrison-The-Sack

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

startrke

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

rather than expand on this i'll just link
http://www.scribd.com/doc/23333752/William-Morrison-The-Sack

h o l y godth at kemin g

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

star trek time travel bugs me because they're always like "oh you're $device's inventor?!?! oh here u go here's $device" and that's the shittiest thing ever

philip k. dick cliffs notes

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BonzoESC posted:

philip k. dickjack dowland cliffs notes

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

whatever, nerds

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
oh i finished "Lady of Mazes" by Schroeder this week; if you liked "Ventus" this is kind of the prequel (your good pal 3340 is there), is much shorter, and has a few big ideas of its own

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
jack dowland was a fictional pseudonym that dick used, notably in one short story where the protagonist goes back in time to 'inspire' his favorite author jack dowland and it all comes crashing the gently caress down because of "here's ur story"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

jack dowland was a fictional pseudonym that dick used, notably in one short story where the protagonist goes back in time to 'inspire' his favorite author jack dowland and it all comes crashing the gently caress down because of "here's ur story"

I remember some story about a time machine that some time cop catches a time traveler using, sentences the time traveler to life in time prison or something, and then sees the guy's time machine, uses it, and realizes he is the time traveler who he just sentenced.

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

it's a pity the potential of the holodeck as a masturbation device was never fully explored in the serieses

from what i can tell sex holograms are a significant part of Quarks business in ds9. i mean other than selling drinks to mord, 1 gambling table and slap stick smuggling

uptight people are always like 'omg you want me to use one of those scandelous sex programs that quarks is known for!?!' and other character will have to say 'oh no no no he has other more wholesome things for the holosuite as well!'

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

sticky wizard posted:

from what i can tell sex holograms are a significant part of Quarks business in ds9. i mean other than selling drinks to mord, 1 gambling table and slap stick smuggling

uptight people are always like 'omg you want me to use one of those scandelous sex programs that quarks is known for!?!' and other character will have to say 'oh no no no he has other more wholesome things for the holosuite as well!'

"but yeah im gonna gently caress a womp rat"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Nine months after the holodeck was created the birth rate should have crashed

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

golgo13sf posted:

Nine months after the holodeck was created the birth rate should have crashed

nobody was competing over the opposite sex which is why the universe is mostly peaceful in TNG. it all starts to fall apart in later seasons/shows because everyone got used to holodecks

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JawnV6 posted:

man I need to read more dick

I finished the man in the high castle a few days ago, liked most of it but the end sort of petered out

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

duTrieux posted:

which is why the holosuites at quarks made more sense but for some reason voyager regressed to the holodeck model and introduced (i think) the separate power system that allowed dumb janeway to mate with irishmen when they were supposed to be conserving power

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

which is why the holosuites at quarks made more sense but for some reason voyager regressed to the holodeck model and introduced (i think) the separate power system that allowed dumb janeway to mate with irishmen when they were supposed to be conserving power

you dont understand!!!!!! we need random bits of period drama in our science fiction show because

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

ChiralCondensate posted:

glad to see those latin classes paid off for you, Bipaternus

lol

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FEMA summer camp posted:

lol
did i get it right? i pulled the latin for "two-dad haver" out of my rear end

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

ChiralCondensate posted:

who cares? I got it and it was funny.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ChiralCondensate posted:

there's technically a way to conjugate the word for "father" such that it translates as "haver of fathers". i'm not going to do it because i don't hate myself.

bipaternus is better because people will actually get it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

should i buy this?

e: i would also have paper-doll style clothing for the people on the plaque when i'm having polite company over.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

duTrieux posted:

should i buy this?

e: i would also have paper-doll style clothing for the people on the plaque when i'm having polite company over.
only if the dong and titties aren't censored

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
yes

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ChiralCondensate posted:

only if the dong and titties aren't censored

the baps and wangs are not censored.

Kirk posted:

yes

this is a compelling argument.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Bedshaped posted:

in Eon by Gear Bear, every room is a holodeck

is that book any good? i've seen it around a lot and have never even picked it up to look inside.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
kirk can you explains omething to me?

ok if you can run a perceived "long distance" in a holodeck due to a kind of treadmil effect then how can 2 people run away from each other if the room is only like 10 feet wide?????? KIRK

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

duTrieux posted:

the baps and wangs are not censored.
then why did you even have to ask whether you should buy it?

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bedshaped posted:

kirk can you explains omething to me?

ok if you can run a perceived "long distance" in a holodeck due to a kind of treadmil effect then how can 2 people run away from each other if the room is only like 10 feet wide?????? KIRK
it was already said, forcefields, you dumb poo poo

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

ChiralCondensate posted:

it was already said, forcefields, you dumb poo poo

i don't think you're really thinking about what i asked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat