Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Revenant Threshold posted:

The fact that Haha on the tins is only enough to bring him level with Kwang-Soo is hilarious to me.

That was my favorite part of the episode until Kwangsoo missed that tackle on Gary and fell on his face, holy poo poo. I think I laughed at that for like five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Ancillary Character posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just terribly portioned instant coffee.

Wasn't there some bitter medicine that they mixed with egg yolks?
I'm probably thinking of another later episode than 6 when they had that same driking challenge

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

TV Zombie posted:

I'm probably thinking of another later episode than 6 when they had that same driking challenge

Yeah, EP6 is just instant coffee and sugar mixed in with the type of spoon you pick at random.

"Spoons" range from a tiny earpick to a huge rear end ladle. And of course they make whatever number the victim chooses the number for the ladle when it's for the coffee, and the earpick when it's for the sugar.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Yes, where possible, the subs I link will be from i-Subs. There's also a few cases where they've collaborated with other groups in which i'm unsure how much the results are affected (for better or worse), but by and large they seem to be the best ones out there.

TV Zombie posted:

I think you are thinking of a later episode.

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006
Goddamn, I had every intention of sticking with the watch-through, but I couldn't do it. I just finished episode 13: Holy poo poo, that hide-and-seek was the most INTENSE thing I think I've ever witnessed. Jae-Suk's incredible solo mission win was probably my highlight moment so far. But there's something from every episode that stands out. Also, unabashed man-crush on Joong-Ki. The trick quiz in episode 12, and Gwang-Soo covering Joong-Ki's correct answer with his own was hilarious. I never knew Jai Ho could be such a suspenseful piece of music.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Dis gonna own:

http://omonatheydidnt.livejournal.com/8301873.html

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Stobbit posted:

Goddamn, I had every intention of sticking with the watch-through, but I couldn't do it. I just finished episode 13: Holy poo poo, that hide-and-seek was the most INTENSE thing I think I've ever witnessed. Jae-Suk's incredible solo mission win was probably my highlight moment so far. But there's something from every episode that stands out. Also, unabashed man-crush on Joong-Ki. The trick quiz in episode 12, and Gwang-Soo covering Joong-Ki's correct answer with his own was hilarious. I never knew Jai Ho could be such a suspenseful piece of music.

I wanted to wait as well but the episodes are so addicting that after watching a lot in a row, everything seems to meld together in a good way. About the episode you mentioned: Do you have a subbed link to Jae-Suk's victory? I can find yt links of KJK catching Kwang Soo and Lizzy and then the next video available is of the Red Team sitting dejectedly on a bench

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

TV Zombie posted:

I wanted to wait as well but the episodes are so addicting that after watching a lot in a row, everything seems to meld together in a good way. About the episode you mentioned: Do you have a subbed link to Jae-Suk's victory? I can find yt links of KJK catching Kwang Soo and Lizzy and then the next video available is of the Red Team sitting dejectedly on a bench

You can find streaming links on iSubs' website in their downloads section. Either in Youtube, Daily Motion, or Facebook usually.

Edit: Found the link http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xitrk0_kjkglobal-rm13-part-4_fun

qbert fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 14, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I don't really expect everyone to wait for the watchthrough. I know I binged through episodes after watching the first one too, it's a difficult temptation to resist. Anyway, speaking of, I had some extra spare time today, so.

Episode 7:
Guests: Eun-Jeong (Idol, T-ara), Jo Kown (Idol, 2AM), Jung Yong-Hwa (Idol, CN Blue)

1 2 3 4 5 6

First thing to note is that Ji-Hyo is back, and she’s no longer a guest. Also, jesus poo poo, shoulder pads. And the position of Jong-Kook as the usual second team leader after Jae-Suk is already set. Apparently the first language to use between Japanese and Korean speakers who don't speak each other's language is English. I’m not really sure whether I should be happy or sad for that poor woman, I hope she got her DVD signed after that.

This is another really impressive venue, and that stage (especially when they cut to shots from the dress circle) is massive. And you really can’t say Jo Kwon is lacking in confidence. The first game proper is a welcome return for the photograph game, with a few different forms to take in order to be counted. Someone referred after the last episode to how funny the cast are when they’re being petty in victory, and the red team taunting the blue team’s lack of realization about the camera timer, and their better planning, was hilarious. Also, not much Gary, sadly.

We do have the very first proper hide and seek mission, though. They’re going to stick around in varying ways for a very long time, much like the Running Balls, but the differing locations, different hiding team missions, and above all else the cast make it funny every drat time. We also get the introduction of the chasing team getting their shoe bells; as Jong-Kook points out, tinkling has never been made to sound so terrifying. Jae-Suk doesn’t last long, but it’s largely what he gets up to after being caught that’s great anyway, including yet more confusing Gary.

More drinking horrible concoctions this week, and the surprise (and unwelcomed) appearance of Kwang-Soo. This time they’ve organized the spoon selection method a bit better, so it doesn’t just devolve into “give them the ladle every time”. And finally we seem to skip a game, but have the lottery again to decide who gets the punishment, which is basically the same as last week only with bread.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I can't remember much about this episode, but Yong-hwa is a consistently good guest, and he's also pretty awesome on we got married.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Xandu posted:

I can't remember much about this episode, but Yong-hwa is a consistently good guest, and he's also pretty awesome on we got married.

Pushing and pulling Busan-style, you know how they do :smug:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

He was married to Seohyun though. I don't know if I can approve of that. :mad:

He was a loving ace for the hide-and-seek challenge though, so I'll give him props for that. And I know he's not everyone's taste, but I like Jo Kwon and his kkab style. Eunjung was just not there at all this episode, once again proving the only good member of T-ara is Hyomin. :colbert:

loving with Gary will never get old. NEVER.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

The thing I remember most about Episode 7, aside from the introduction of the standard hide-and-seek format with the bells and the item hunt, is that it's the first appearance of my favorite recurring RM guest: Jung Yonghwa. He's certainly not the funniest guest the show's had, but what you'll come to learn is that he's a freaking BEAST at the games. He basically single-handedly carries the mission team to victory here, and every subsequent appearance he has on the show coincides with similarly awesome performances.

He's been on the show the most times of anyone as a guest, and on his latest appearance Jae Suk even comments that he's basically family at this point.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
New episode today was pretty good - still the same guests as last time, but for the next day IU comes and joins them. She is awesome and adorable :3:

The end mission ended up being too broad I think. Without going into details, I think it ended up being one of those "too ambitious/difficult" challenges that sort of impede a fun chase/suspense sequence from playing out, but it was still great overall.

Oh, and it broke the 20% rating point today for the first time with the episode - considering the hard times the show has gone through in the beginning, this is great news! :D

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

Oh, and it broke the 20% rating point today for the first time with the episode - considering the hard times the show has gone through in the beginning, this is great news! :D
That's great to hear!

Another game I enjoyed that they don't play anymore is where they draw something based on what the person in line before them drew, then the last person has to guess what it is.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
As I binge through up to episode 21, I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of wrestling themes attached to KJK moments. I am enjoying the blatant cheating the hide and sneak missions seem to have adopted too.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

After watching episode 15, I'm wondering if Jae Suk and KJK or Ji Hyo and KJK team up because that would seem to be an impossible match up to beat.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

TV Zombie posted:

After watching episode 15, I'm wondering if Jae Suk and KJK or Ji Hyo and KJK team up because that would seem to be an impossible match up to beat.

I've only watched a smattering of episodes, but the latter team-up seems to happen semi-often and one of the more recent episodes had the former.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

There's an episode where it's literally KJK and Ji Hyo against the rest of the cast and they play it like a buddy cop action theme. The two absolutely destroy the others. KJK and YJS teaming up happens much more rarely though, and usually when it does the two aren't as efficient as you might think, as they tend to argue a lot because they claim they're both the leader type.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Trawling on youtube, I just found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6GWu4h8MY&feature=g-vrec&context=G2c5aaa3RVAAAAAAAAAQ
YJS a looooooong time ago when he was just a comedian and not an MC. Look how young he is! :v:
He's still funny as hell in the guest role; can't find subs for it unfortunately.

Selane
May 19, 2006

That topic will actually come up in the next episode of the watchthrough(which is great btw).

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
This is actually really, really funny. At first I wasn't sure why you would ever want to watch a foreign gameshow when there are millions of your own dumb reality shows but it is actually kind of different. It vaguely reminds me of Top Gear actually, except with fewer abhorrent human beings present; so that's good.

My favourite character so far is Jae-Sook's cameraman.

One question though, what exactly is an idol? Is it just like a popstar or something?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Kuno posted:

One question though, what exactly is an idol? Is it just like a popstar or something?

Basically yes. I'm not sure if there are any differences between idols and "musicians", I do know basically all pop stars/groups come from a farm system the record labels have.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The key difference, i'd say, is marketing. True of many celebrities and music artists, of course, but with idol and idol groups look, personality, and ability to attract a particular niche of demographic are all carefully selected so as to appeal to the broadest range of people possible. And they get sent off to TV, radio, and shows like this and IV in order to express those qualities and gain a following (and so, money).

Think of the Spice Girls, who were essentially an idol group (or became so). Each member is given a particular personality and style they're aggressively marketed by, so (in theory) every member of the demographic you're shooting at has someone they can like for whatever reason. Any actual musical ability is helpful but not required; often you'll get (depending on size of group) maybe two people who can sing reliably well, a couple of others who can dance, and then everyone else moves about in the background and does the "ooh"s. The point is appeal, which may be because you enjoy the music, but not necessarily so.

"Boy band" and "girl band" loosely cover the same areas.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 16, 2012

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

The Korean pop/idol system is really weird from an outsider especially in terminology. In terms of music for example, a "comeback" is really just them releasing another album, and even then it seems most of the time they're only 3 or 4 song albums so they're more of an EP. You could probably have a while thread on the Idol culture over in Korea.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Basically idols are as much about charisma and personality as anything else. That's why they show up on variety shows and the like so much in the first place. Ironically musical talent is the least important, because all you need for a good song is good songwriters/producers. But no number of competent staff can pull a pretty face or a good personality out of their rear end, so those qualities are generally more important. Rest assured that a group consisting of a bunch of good singers without charisma or looks would fail pretty badly. Pretty much every group is seeded with a few strong vocalists and dancers(which is all it really takes), and the rest filled in by the visual/personality types. Like I said though, those guys are pulling at least as much weight as the rest, so there's not really anything wrong with that.

Anyway, the purpose of creating idols can be summarized thusly: A person that likes an artist's music will buy their music. A person that likes the artist themself will buy not just their music, but anything else the company releases related to them, including poo poo like DVDs, photobooks, etc...and that's just extra money for the company.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
I'd say there's a definite difference between "musicians" and idols. Like others said, there's the marketing difference - I don't think many real musicians are going to sell calendars/official fan club lightsticks/merchandise like the idol groups do. And the musical talent is definitely not the -biggest- factor in the creation/marketing of idol groups.

As much as I love SNSD, I'd hesitate to call them "musicians" (although, the main vocals doing solo activities is different).

Of course, the difference doesn't mean that the musicians are any less famous in comparison with idols.

Here's Park Jung-hyun (US name: Lena Park), for example. She became really famous through the MBC Sunday show "I Am A Singer" - I think she rivals or even surpasses a lot of the idols in terms of recognizability and popularity nowadays. She's definitely a star, but not an "idol".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR0ifos_pKc
She's definitely a "musician".

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 8:
Guests: Lee Joon (Idol, MBLAQ), Park Jun-Gyu (Actor), Victoria (Idol, f(x))

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Another foreigner here; unlike Jessica, though, I don’t suppose you might guess from her name that Victoria’s Chinese, and she's very popular at the moment in the IV thread. Like last week, we start off missing one of the cast, though this time it’s Joong-Ki, and Suk-Jin recognizes his place in the way of things, the poor guy.

Anyway, more museums. I love museum episodes. First up we have two short games, but before that we have more proof that the show is at it’s funniest when the cast are just mucking about together, plus the first example of Gary liking Ji-Hyo (and the faces of the others when this is suggested are hilarious). Anyway, the first game seems like one of those things which looks ok but feels loving terrible (unless you’re Gary, apparently) – I invite any of you with chopsticks in your house to try it and not blame me if you break something. We then have hide and seek with the personal alarms, which work pretty well, and really the idea of playing hide and seek inside a historical monument tickles me. Lee Joon being fast enough that not only did he lose Victoria and the others, but also his own VJ, is great, especially considering by and large he doesn’t do a whole lot to stand out in this episode.

Next we have the drinking game, which makes me feel as though there probably could be some kind of Running Man drinking game. But far more importantly, the questions are based on the cast’s past, which means we get to see videos of them around their debuts in entertainment, which can’t really even be put into words. The drinking game itself is pretty good too, since the beverage of choice is easily the most unpleasant so far. Finally, the hot pants punishment, which also turns up quite regularly from now on.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 16, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I had high hopes for this episode, because of the guests. Lee Joon is a muscle fool and Victoria is super adorable. The setting also seemed really interesting, as have all the settings.

But Joon and Victoria ended up not really doing much, and BECAUSE of the setting, the race was actually hindered whith them not allowed to run in the museum (although it seems they tended to ignore this rule). I didn't really like the alarms either, and feel they might have been added as to help keep the game going swiftly and safely in the museum.

But I did like Lee Joon's moment of crazed speed where everyone, including his cameraman, lost track of him for 20 minutes. I also thought Joon-Kyu was really entertaining and fit well with the group. The videos of the group's early years were hilarious (Jae Suk's self-camera :stare:) and them smacking each other with chopsticks was just delightful.

So it's not that I hated the episode or anything. I just felt the setting limited them and I expected to see more out of the guests.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Check out the episode of Happy together with Lee Joon, Rain, Goo Hara and Lee Hyori if you want to see how hilarious Lee Joon can be.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Well here's the best news i'll hear today:

Selane
May 19, 2006

El Graplurado posted:

gently caress. YES.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

El Graplurado posted:

Well it's about drat time.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
More pics related to the filming of the ep with Hyomin:
Upcoming ep spoilers, I guess?
http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=yjs&no=90405&page=3&bbs=
http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=yjs&no=90407&page=3&bbs=
http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=yjs&no=90409&page=3&bbs=
If you use Chrome it might give you a malicious website thing. It's a false positive.

Looks like the guests are Hyomin, Goh-Ah-Rah (actress) and Yim-Soo-Hyang (actress). Judging from the clothing, I'd say it's a American retro special (your disco era, I think).

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://dcimg1.dcinside.com/viewimag...8f287e458db343a

Oh man, Kwang Soo lol.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

qbert posted:

The thing I remember most about Episode 7, aside from the introduction of the standard hide-and-seek format with the bells and the item hunt, is that it's the first appearance of my favorite recurring RM guest: Jung Yonghwa. He's certainly not the funniest guest the show's had, but what you'll come to learn is that he's a freaking BEAST at the games. He basically single-handedly carries the mission team to victory here, and every subsequent appearance he has on the show coincides with similarly awesome performances.

Just finished ep7 tonight, I need to hurry up and watch ep8 if I want to keep up. Yonghwa IS a loving beast. Does the cast get to see the film after the show? I wonder how they reacted when they found out they were so close in getting him out twice.

Did Kwangsoo really come at 4am? That's some loving dedication, makes him immensely more likable. Hilarious too, you could tell everyone was tired as poo poo.

And I don't remember Eunjeong being this cute when she was on IY, wow.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Just caught Episode 21 and wow... They are the best chasing team ever. I'm hopeful that there are more teamups like this in the future.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Lyer posted:

Just finished ep7 tonight, I need to hurry up and watch ep8 if I want to keep up. Yonghwa IS a loving beast. Does the cast get to see the film after the show? I wonder how they reacted when they found out they were so close in getting him out twice.

Did Kwangsoo really come at 4am? That's some loving dedication, makes him immensely more likable. Hilarious too, you could tell everyone was tired as poo poo.

And I don't remember Eunjeong being this cute when she was on IY, wow.

Yeah usually episodes air either 2 or 3 weeks after they're shot, and often times at the beginning of episodes, a member will comment that they caught the latest aired episode, and point out something they hadn't known until they watched it.

And Eunjung is hot as hell and also enjoyable on We Got Married. Basically all the members of T-ara are fun personalities on these type of shows.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
I saw a guy watching Running Man on the train today. Freaking awesome. I wanted to distract him so we could fist-bump, but he was too engaged in it all.

The tea drinking game, although entertaining, can be quite awkward to watch. Remembering a bout of food poisoning, there's no way I could bring myself to drink raw egg. Added onto that, the boiled water seems pretty drat dangerous. I'm glad that the game gets shelved soon.

Archer2338 posted:

As much as I love SNSD, I'd hesitate to call them "musicians" (although, the main vocals doing solo activities is different).

I'm pretty much the same. I just refer to them as 'performers'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Archer2338 posted:

With certain exceptions. Seohyun is a pretty good pianist, for example.