Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I just got new insurance this year.

It covers only one ring at time, so I can no longer get 3 at a time. :mad: What is the POINT insurance company? I'm getting the same amount of poo poo and you're covering the same amount in the end ugh gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Kerfuffle posted:

It covers only one ring at time, so I can no longer get 3 at a time. :mad: What is the POINT insurance company? I'm getting the same amount of poo poo and you're covering the same amount in the end ugh gently caress you.

This is exactly what my old insurance company did to me. It was a "luxury" plan from my fiancees extremely large tech company. It's part of the reason I quit the ring and coughed up the 350$ for paragard. The rings were also $35.00 anyway so paragard was so much more economical.

Now I have an insurance co-op and its pretty drat awesome, but obviously still not as good as something like NHS.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Tigntink posted:

This is exactly what my old insurance company did to me. It was a "luxury" plan from my fiancees extremely large tech company. It's part of the reason I quit the ring and coughed up the 350$ for paragard. The rings were also $35.00 anyway so paragard was so much more economical.

Now I have an insurance co-op and its pretty drat awesome, but obviously still not as good as something like NHS.

Man, the one time I got an extra ring (paid in full of course) it was $60ish! Though, I suppose in a way that was making up for my Paragard in advance. I met my deductible last year and got it covered 100% which was probably the best Christmas present ever. I think the total covered was nearly $1k, too.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
So about a week ago I took the morning after pill after a condom broke and he finished inside of me. Everything has been going well - I feel fine for the most part and I made another appointment to get on birth control this Wednesday.

Today I started spotting, and I'm not sure if it's going to continue or start to my full period. Either way, how long does bleeding usually last from emergency contraception? My period normally is 4 days and is pretty consistant. Totally selfish, but my hot date who almost knocked me up is coming back next Sunday and I am looking forward to some more :huh:

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Usually it takes one cycle to fix any weirdness caused by taking the morning after pill. How much or how long you bleed as a side effect varies from person to person. When I took it, for example, I had no side effects other than nausea.

nixar55
Jul 25, 2003

She packed my bags last night. Pre-flight. Zero hour nine a.m. And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then.
I'm freaking out here. I got home from my pharmacy and found Junel in my bag instead of Microgestin. I immediately called and the pharmacist (male) was super nasty and said Microgestin has been on back order since November and Junel is the same exact thing. I've never switched pills before and everything was okay on Microgestin, which I've taken for 5 years. Now I'm terrified to try a new pill and get side effects, which I didn't have before. Of course Googling the two drugs leads to all of these other forums with unhappy, acne-ridden, balding women. You guys are more measured in responses.

Has anyone had issue with back ordered pills? Will my pharmacy switch me back when the drug is back in stock? Any one else go from Microgestin to Junel? Should I ask my doc for Loestrin, even though it's more expensive? I've just never heard of this pill before ever.

Honestly, I'm in a long distance relationship and wondering if I just shouldn't stop taking birth control entirely and avoid the whole switching issue. The only benefit of the pill, aside from preventing pregnancy, is I can schedule my periods so that they don't come when he's in town.

ETA: Of course I will call my doctor about this, too. Wish it holiday weekend though.

nixar55 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 14, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

nixar55 posted:

I'm freaking out here. I got home from my pharmacy and found Junel in my bag instead of Microgestin. I immediately called and the pharmacist (male) was super nasty and said Microgestin has been on back order since November and Junel is the same exact thing. I've never switched pills before and everything was okay on Microgestin, which I've taken for 5 years. Now I'm terrified to try a new pill and get side effects, which I didn't have before. Of course Googling the two drugs leads to all of these other forums with unhappy, acne-ridden, balding women. You guys are more measured in responses.

Has anyone had issue with back ordered pills? Will my pharmacy switch me back when the drug is back in stock? Any one else go from Microgestin to Junel? Should I ask my doc for Loestrin, even though it's more expensive? I've just never heard of this pill before ever.

Honestly, I'm in a long distance relationship and wondering if I just shouldn't stop taking birth control entirely and avoid the whole switching issue. The only benefit of the pill, aside from preventing pregnancy, is I can schedule my periods so that they don't come when he's in town.

ETA: Of course I will call my doctor about this, too. Wish it holiday weekend though.
I've heard that switching to generics (concerning specific birth control pills) have caused unwanted side effects because of the inactive ingredients, but the active ingredients should be the same as the Microgestin. Your pharmacist was mad rude to not tell you that they switched it or that they were out of it in the first place. :/

But that said, you might have side effects, and you might not. Sadly no one can give you a straight answer. If I was in your position I'd stay on schedule with the new generic, and if the side effects were especially awful I'd quit taking it. If it worked out, then I'd just stay on the Junel.

Keep in mind that if you go off your pills entirely, your reaction to it might be different the next time you start again. Hormones are so unfair like that. :I

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

nixar55 posted:

Call any other pharmacies you can go to and see if they have it. You can take it back and get your prescription transferred. At least in IL, you'll see signs at pharmacies saying "If we are not able to provide your birth control" blah blah legally they're required to transfer it at request. If he REALLY continues acting like an rear end or refusing to do anything for you, file a complaint with the state.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

nixar55 posted:

If it's the same generic, you will be just fine. Yes, it's possible that there could be side effects from inactive ingredients, but it's not super likely, and the birth control aspect of the pill will work just fine. It sucks that the pharmacist was a jerk about it, but you should be okay.

GauchoMatador
Jan 14, 2012
I have a birth control success story that I think merits sharing - so much so that I'm using my very first post on the forums to do so!

To anyone for whom the most bothersome side effects of the pill are spotting and/or mood swings/depression/anxiety: Lo Loestrin Fe has been a godsend for me. A very pricey godsend. With insurance and a discount card that your doctor can issue you, it still costs about $65/month, but it's worth the cost if you are sensitive to hormones but not interested in alternative forms of birth control.

I'm a small person, so I think in my case the higher, one-size-fits-all dosages in other pills were just too much. Lo Loestrin is as effective as any pill on the market, but I've experienced no discernible mood side effects, and my periods are virtually non-existent - the uterine lining doesn't even build up sufficiently to allow heavy bleeding. I spotted only for the second half of the first month of use and haven't bled enough to warrant use of more than a light tampon since. Oh happy day!

I had a heck of a time finding "the one" for me - took a couple of years of trial and serious error. The moral of my story isn't so much "try Lo Loestrin" as it is don't give up or settle for a method that doesn't suit you. Happy hunting!

GauchoMatador fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 14, 2012

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

nixar55 posted:

I had to do that exact switch for they exact reason back in January or February of last year, no side effects, but that's anecdotal of course. It sucks they didn't tell you, when I did it they asked if I wanted to call around before they filled it for me, and I did but no one had any.
You should be fine. Don't stop taking it, especially if you plan on staying on the pill, if you stop you might not get lucky when you start again, side effects-wise

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I vaguely remember something about mandatory birth control coverage taking effect this year. Is that still on? I would really like Mirena, but IUDs are explicitly not covered by my insurance.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Brennanite posted:

I vaguely remember something about mandatory birth control coverage taking effect this year. Is that still on? I would really like Mirena, but IUDs are explicitly not covered by my insurance.

It's supposed to come up in August, I'm trying to be hopeful about it but :(

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

It's only if you get a new insurance plan, I believe. :(

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

evelynevvie posted:

It's only if you get a new insurance plan, I believe. :(

Yeah, from everything I have read, it seems to only apply to those who get new policies. I, myself, have not read anything about any grandfathering procedures.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

nixar55 posted:

Just figured I would give my input here. I had to deal with this back in August. I've been on Micronor (rather, Errin, the generic) for something like 8yrs now. I was on my last pill, and I went out in the worst weather (remnants of a hurricane) to fill it. Their computers were down, but they called me when they came back up and told me they were out of stock of Micronor and wouldn't have any until sometime in October. They asked if I wanted Camila (generic of Nor QD) instead, and said it was the same active ingredient in the same dose, so it shouldn't be an issue. I double and triple checked with her to make sure that she knew I was only agreeing to this until Micronor was back in stock. It was a nightmare (the pill & pharmacy experience).

There was no gap between switching pills. I ended up with 4 days of heavy bleeding, then 4 days fine, then 4 days of heavy bleeding again, then 4 days fine. This repeated for almost 3wks, among other negative symptoms, before I said screw it and stopped taking it. I called the pharmacy to see if, by some stroke of luck, they had my Micronor in stock yet. They did. However, I was told I would need a new script in order to go back to taking Micronor; they had changed my script in their system to the new pill, without my consent.

I had to call my gyno and explain the whole thing to her. Needless to say, she was pissed at what they did. She understood my side of the ordeal, where I only agreed to the new pill as a temporary replacement until my normal one was in stock. She called up the pharmacy, bitched them out, told them there's no reason I should need a new script because they shouldn't have changed it in the first place. So then they call to tell me (in a bitchy tone) that I can pick up my normal pill, acting as though it was my fault they screwed it up.

So just because the active ingredient is the same thing & dose, that doesn't mean you'll react the same as you do on your usual pill. I ended up looking up the differences between my usual & the Camila, and the manufacturer themself says that they shouldn't be considered a direct substitute for one another as a result (they're not bioequivalent; guess that means different absorption rates into the blood stream). Next time if they're out of stock, I'll just ask to either get the name brand or ask for a transfer.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
:siren: Mirena Trip report!

So I got Mirena this morning! It hurt about as much as I expected, which was kind of nice. I was worried it was going to end up hurting more, which probably would have been really bad.

Surprisingly, the worst part was the Gyno checking my positioning, only because she barely gave any warning before shoving her fingers up there. And then she was like "Relax. You're very tense." NO DUH, LADY.

The numbing spray was kind of burny, but not too bad. The worst part of the actual procedure, for me, was putting the thing in the cervix to hold it open for everything else. I started cramping almost immediately when she inserted the Mirena. With my little experience with cramps, I'd say they were moderate. Nothing I couldn't handle, but definitely worse than he cramps I occasionally get, which are very light.

And then I went home and went back to bed, and ended up sleeping for 6 hours. Cramping is still there, and it's a tiny bit better. I keep needing to remind myself that it's normal, since I rarely ever cramp. No nausea, some bleeding...

All in all, it wasn't too bad. I've heard stories elsewhere where someone's talking about how they were screaming in pain, but now that just makes me suspect that they didn't even try to relax, or that maybe their doctor forgot one of the numbing things.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

uberwekkness posted:

All in all, it wasn't too bad. I've heard stories elsewhere where someone's talking about how they were screaming in pain, but now that just makes me suspect that they didn't even try to relax, or that maybe their doctor forgot one of the numbing things.

Nah, it's just that some of us have VERY sensitive ladybits, specifically the cervix. Some of us have vasovagal responses to anything touching or messing with it. I hit mine with a toy one time and pretty much vomited on the spot. Not to mention the pain oh god. Some ladies can faint if you mess with it. And even without the vomiting or fainting, for a lot of us, it's just super tender. Hit it with anything and we are going to scream and cramp and stuff.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

Well, then I will count myself as extremely lucky. :c00lbert:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

evelynevvie posted:

Nah, it's just that some of us have VERY sensitive ladybits, specifically the cervix. Some of us have vasovagal responses to anything touching or messing with it. I hit mine with a toy one time and pretty much vomited on the spot. Not to mention the pain oh god. Some ladies can faint if you mess with it. And even without the vomiting or fainting, for a lot of us, it's just super tender. Hit it with anything and we are going to scream and cramp and stuff.

How do you have sex if its that sensitive? Unless it's weird that my fiancee smacks the poo poo of of my cervix when we have sex.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
Yeah, when my OBGYN tried to even prep me for the Mirena, my cervix clamped down so much that even a nitroglycerin tablet didn't relax it long enough to try and get one of the rods up in there. It hurts thinking about it, hah.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Tigntink posted:

How do you have sex if its that sensitive? Unless it's weird that my fiancee smacks the poo poo of of my cervix when we have sex.

Mine's not that sensitive but I've never had it hit during sex with any partner, it's just not in range, I guess.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I've had it hit and its a different kind of pain. Also, theres the whole psychological thing of being with a partner who can/will stop when you say "ow" and in a doctors office getting your cervix pulled open.

I've had my IUD since October and all is well. Though, I did have a bizzare dream the other night that my IUD slipped out of my cervix and I had to decide if I wanted to have it put back in or not :wtc:

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

Tigntink posted:

It's not come up for me personally but this is what I imagine would happen:

1. Penis slams into cervix
2. I start screamng bloody murder and push him off/hop off/disentagle myself
3. I curl up in the fetal position and cry, and possibly vomit or pass out
4. Meanwhile he freaks out because :wtf:

I'm kidding, it probably wouldn't be that bad. But it would hurt. And vasovagal responses are always a possiibility. My point was though, that some of us don't like our cervices (cervixs/es?) messed with. Everyone's body is different.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

evelynevvie posted:

It's not come up for me personally but this is what I imagine would happen:

1. Penis slams into cervix
2. I start screamng bloody murder and push him off/hop off/disentagle myself
3. I curl up in the fetal position and cry, and possibly vomit or pass out
4. Meanwhile he freaks out because :wtf:

I'm kidding, it probably wouldn't be that bad. But it would hurt. And vasovagal responses are always a possiibility. My point was though, that some of us don't like our cervices (cervixs/es?) messed with. Everyone's body is different.

I guess I do have a super super low cervix so I had to get used to stabbing it with tampons and stuff fairly early on. Even the short little OBs hit it.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Kerfuffle posted:

I know how you feel. I was getting 28 day packs of avian until my nurse suggested I just skip the sugar pills and continue onto a new pack, reason being I was getting really, really sensitive gums because of increased progesterone.
So I started just skipping the sugar pills and my insurance company started making me pay for my prescription because I'm picking my packs up 8 days early. I can understand the reasoning behind it, it's so crazy addicts don't rail all their pills and just pick up a new prescription too early, but between work and school I don't have time to go to the walk in and have my prescription changed from the 28 day pack to the 21 day.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

Toriori posted:

I know how you feel. I was getting 28 day packs of avian until my nurse suggested I just skip the sugar pills and continue onto a new pack, reason being I was getting really, really sensitive gums because of increased progesterone.
So I started just skipping the sugar pills and my insurance company started making me pay for my prescription because I'm picking my packs up 8 days early. I can understand the reasoning behind it, it's so crazy addicts don't rail all their pills and just pick up a new prescription too early, but between work and school I don't have time to go to the walk in and have my prescription changed from the 28 day pack to the 21 day.

Have you tried calling your [insert applicable medical professional here] and seeing if they will call it in?

Also, how does skipping the placebo pills negate too much progesterone? They are literally just there to help you stay in the habit of taking a pill every day, they don't do anything at all. I'm confused.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

evelynevvie posted:

Have you tried calling your [insert applicable medical professional here] and seeing if they will call it in?

Also, how does skipping the placebo pills negate too much progesterone? They are literally just there to help you stay in the habit of taking a pill every day, they don't do anything at all. I'm confused.
The way it was explained to me was that during menstruation, the levels of progesterone are higher. So essentially what was happening if I stopped taking the pills during that week my gums would get super sensitive, bleed and I would get small canker sores. Last time I went to renew my prescription I mentioned these things happening and it was suggested I just continuously take my packs, which has worked. Even sometimes just close to the end of a pack I can feel my mouth feel sore, but it goes away the first couple days into a new pack.
I had even asked my dentist for a second opinion as to why my teeth and gums were hurting so badly even though I have great dental hygiene and she suggested the same reasoning.

I think I will try calling and seeing if I can just get my doctor to switch it over. Thanks for the advice.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Geolicious posted:

Yeah, from everything I have read, it seems to only apply to those who get new policies. I, myself, have not read anything about any grandfathering procedures.

There are not enough :( in the world. Guess it's time to get over my feelings about Planned Parenthood and see if they'll do it at a discount for no insurance.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Toriori posted:

The way it was explained to me was that during menstruation, the levels of progesterone are higher. So essentially what was happening if I stopped taking the pills during that week my gums would get super sensitive, bleed and I would get small canker sores. Last time I went to renew my prescription I mentioned these things happening and it was suggested I just continuously take my packs, which has worked. Even sometimes just close to the end of a pack I can feel my mouth feel sore, but it goes away the first couple days into a new pack.
I had even asked my dentist for a second opinion as to why my teeth and gums were hurting so badly even though I have great dental hygiene and she suggested the same reasoning.

I think I will try calling and seeing if I can just get my doctor to switch it over. Thanks for the advice.

I know it's for hormone reasons, but have you tried sensodyne? That stuff is pretty remarkable.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I have a question about the Mirena IUD. In 2006, my wife got a Mirena put in. Now it's time to get it replaced, but my wife now has a new insurance provider that will not cover it. Furthermore, she can't get the original IUD removed for some reason, her doctors keep telling her that she needs to go to the same people who inserted it in the first place. This is no longer an option.

So, my wife still has an IUD in her that is now almost a year past the time it was supposed to be replaced. Now, one of the side effects of the Mirena was that her periods stopped. Since they have not returned, does that mean the Mirena is still working? How much does the effectiveness rate of the Mirena decrease if it is not replaced right away?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I don't know about the latter questions. For the insurance/doctors issue, maybe she should check out Planned Parenthood. I don't understand why they would say she has to go back to the people who inserted it... an experienced provider, sure, but what if you moved across the country? :psyduck: It doesn't make sense. Get a second opinion, from PP if necessary. They can also probably help with the other question.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I have a question about the Mirena IUD. In 2006, my wife got a Mirena put in. Now it's time to get it replaced, but my wife now has a new insurance provider that will not cover it. Furthermore, she can't get the original IUD removed for some reason, her doctors keep telling her that she needs to go to the same people who inserted it in the first place. This is no longer an option.

So, my wife still has an IUD in her that is now almost a year past the time it was supposed to be replaced. Now, one of the side effects of the Mirena was that her periods stopped. Since they have not returned, does that mean the Mirena is still working? How much does the effectiveness rate of the Mirena decrease if it is not replaced right away?

There is some pretty good evidence (though I cannot now remember where I found it, sorry) that the Mirena will work for up to ~7 years, so she's probably ok on that end, but I would not keep pushing it for much longer. For me personally my periods started to come back at around the 4.5 year point and the same is happening for my stepmom.

The Mirena can absolutely be removed by a different person than the one who inserted it. I have personally had it done. She needs to find another doctor if the one she has now is telling her they cannot do it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Haschel Cedricson posted:

The doctor saying they cant do it probably just doesn't know how. You can certainly have it taken out by a different person/practice. poo poo I have a paragard - after 10 years i don't think my doctor would even still be living here.

Medium Blue
Jan 19, 2012
This thread has been unspeakably useful in helping me decide on getting a copper IUD fitted. I thought I'd post about it here and perhaps it will help someone else.

TRIP REPORT

IUDs are free on the UK NHS and the clinic I went to was quite good. The non-medical staff were fine: not that fussed, did tell me what I needed to do to get a fitting. It was probably particularly simply because I already knew exactly what I wanted and knew about the risks and caveats. I went in for a consultation, had an appointment made, went to the appointment.

It was surprisingly easy. I popped an ibuprofen an hour ahead of time and my partner was sweet and took me to the clinic. The doctor was incredibly nice: calm, professional, still friendly, patient in answering my questions, happy to show me the scans of my abdomen and point out which bits were what. There was a girl there to chat to me and hold my hand. Insertion was like a bad period cramp. Not as bad as my worst cramps, but then I usually have completely uneventful periods. I don't think I have a high pain threshold particularly, but I can handle it (with a grimace).

Discomfort for a while afterwards, not pain. Had a meal afterwards and a hot drink which helped and then my partner took me back to mine and tucked me in. I could definitely have gotten back by myself but the company was nice. I didn't actually go to sleep; felt a bit gross and I was bleeding - just thin stuff. Decided to go and take a steaming hot bath, and it was magic! I felt perfectly fine after the soak and fighting fit by the end of the day.

So no more bleeding, no soreness, am excited to actually test this thing out. I may actually still use condoms on my most fertile days, I guess because I'm paranoid like that (and also, what the hell else do I do with the massive stash in my bedside table? All my friends seem to be using the pill so I can't gift it.)

One thing, though, is that a lymph node on the back of my neck is really swollen - like a finger-width in diameter, and it's so tender that even the tugging on my scalp from washing my hair hurt it a bit. I've had swollen lymph nodes before but less serious and never painful. If it persists for another day or so I do plan on calling the clinic to ask about it, but I simply haven't the time to trek back if they ask me to.

If anyone has thoughts about this I'd appreciate it very much. I'm just mildly worried that it could be a sign of infection.

uptown
May 16, 2009
I was just coming into this thread to post my trip report about the Mirena IUD, and it's completely different from Medium Blue's copper IUD experience.

I'm in a 3+ year monogamous relationship, and have no plans to have children. Maybe that'll change, but the IUD isn't a tubal ligation, so if my partner and I want a baby within the next few years, I can always get the IUD removed with no problem. I don't foresee that happening, though! After being on the pill since the age of 15 (I'm 22 now) I thought it was about time that I didn't have to worry about a pill every day, or refilling prescriptions, etc.

I asked my doctor to fit me with an IUD a few months ago, and she told me that since she did not do enough of them, she would be more comfortable referring me to another doctor who she knew, who did them nearly every day. After a few hiccups with the other doctor's receptionist calling my parents' place instead of my cell, and thus my absentminded mother not letting me know that anyone had called, I finally booked in for an appointment.

The receptionist told me to pick up anti-inflammatories from her, and to take one the night before getting my IUD, and to take one in the morning. She said it would help a bit with the nausea that getting the IUD inserted would cause. I took the anti-inflammatories as advised, and headed to the doctor for my appointment. My mom came with me, and even offered to come into the room and hold my hand if I wanted. Sweet of her, but I asked her to stay in the waiting room.

The doctor and I chatted for a few minutes before she started the IUD procedure. She first swabbed my cervix with iodine in order to clean it, and then inserted a metal sound (a rod thingy with a spherical end) and measured the length the IUD would have to be, or something like that. IT HURT. I cannot even begin to describe the pain. It felt like I was getting stabbed, and I broke into a full-body cold sweat. I was literally gasping, whimpering, and moaning in pain. As an aside, I normally have a high pain threshold. I have tattoos, a split tongue, piercings where the sun doesn't shine, hell, I had my entire big toenail ripped off when someone accidentally kicked me in the foot when they walked past me. None of the "painful" things in my life have ever compared to that pain. But it got worse! The IUD insertion itself... My uterus clamped itself onto the IUD or something, and spasmed when she inserted it. It was horrible. I screamed. Not a shriek, a SCREAM. I was babbling "please stop" and other things like that, too. I felt like such a wimp :(

After she was done trimming the wire, she told me to take as long as I needed in the room to recover and then I could get dressed and go. She left the room after a few minutes, and I just lay there in fetal position trying to feel better. She checked up on me a few minutes later, too. When I thought I was okay, I got up to put my clothes on. I got my panties on, then realized I was going to pass out. I sat down with my head between my knees as my vision went blue. I lay down again, and phoned my mom in the waiting room and asked her to come sit with me. I am SO glad she had come with me, I would not have been able to get home on my own. At this point I was still a little incoherent, and wanted to cry. When I finally got my clothes on and was ready to leave, I asked my mom to buy me a pop so I could get some sugar into my system, and that made me feel a LOT better. I still had some cramping and general gross feelings, but by the time I got home, maybe a 30 minute drive, I was feeling almost good as new. Thank goodness, because the doctor had told me beforehand that if I had cramping, it could last for hours or even a few days.

I don't want to discourage anyone from getting an IUD, but I guess for some people it REALLY hurts, and I was one of those unfortunate people.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

So is applying some things to numb the cervix not a universal thing? I hear both people getting numbing spray (and gel maybe?), like when I got it, but then I hear stories like the above and it makes me wonder.

uptown
May 16, 2009
I was just talking to one of my friends about my experience, and she told me that when she talked to a gyno about the procedure, he told her that he would numb her beforehand. Not clear if he meant her cervix or her uterus. I wasn't told about numbing the cervix at all, but for me, it was horrendous uterine pain, so presumably the numbing spray/gel would have only helped minimally?

Gah, re-reading my post, I still haven't described how goddamn horrible the whole thing was. Before I got the IUD, I spoke with my partner and we agreed that if in 5 years, we still both don't want kids, he'll get a vasectomy. Good thing, because I would be TERRIFIED to go through an experience like this again.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?

uptown posted:

:gonk::gonk::gonk:

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who had a horribly painful Mirena insertion. I was hopped up on ibuprofen when I got mine and it still felt like someone took a sledgehammer to my entire abdomen. I also wasn't given any numbing agents or anti-inflammatories, although I was offered a shot of some sort but the doctor assumed I wouldn't need it after I told her I took a bunch of Motrin before coming in. Regardless, that was the worst pain I had ever experienced in my life, and thankfully it all went away by the next day.

Even though it hurt SO much, you gotta remember the positives- no kids/periods for five years and the pain was only for one day! I think after my five years are up (and depending on my insurance) I will get another. I will gladly go through one more day of excruciating pain in exchange for another five years of being baby/period-free.

BigGayLogan fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
As far as I know, having a high pain threshold doesn't affect whether you're likely to have a vasovagal reaction during IUD insertion. It seems like extreme reactions like that are effectively random.

I don't think having a painful/scream-tastic insertion affects the chances of expulsion, at least! As long as the doctor is confident that there was no puncture, and you feel no unusually strong pain, you don't have to worry about it for many years!

uberwekkness posted:

So is applying some things to numb the cervix not a universal thing? I hear both people getting numbing spray (and gel maybe?), like when I got it, but then I hear stories like the above and it makes me wonder.

I don't remember my insertion too vividly, but I don't think I was given a numbing agent.

• Locked thread