Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

morestuff posted:

Yeah, I just bought that Coen Brothers collection that was linked above. Shipping was five bucks.

Edit: This Kubrick set is also amazingly cheap. I already have the Alien Anthology - is there anything else I should check out that's a huge steal?

This thread usually is up to date with the latest deals at Amazon UK:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/movie-tv-deals/138331-they-have-cheaper-amazon-co-uk-than-amazon-com-other-great-deals.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

I'm trying to order the Alien Anthology from Amazon UK, and I must be doing something wrong... it has my Canadian shipping address, but still says the shipping is only £3.06.

Plus the actual boxset is only listed as £12.49 in the "Order Summary" window :psyduck:

Am I gonna get hit with some crazy import fee adjustment later on? This deal is too good to be true.

I think ordering from the UK you might be intercepted and have to pay taxes. I've ordered stuff from the UK/US to Canada before and what gets taxed is very inconsistent, even from the same company/delivery firm. I think its just luck.

Even you if do get caught it'll just be HST + Admin fee which is like $5. Still way cheaper then buying in Canada.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I'm in the US. If I order some of these UK Amazon boxsets (Kubrick Coen Alien) will they play in my player? There's no region problems?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

I got the Mexican Blu-Ray.

Hmm, how is the quality? I see it available here. I bet the shipping cost blows the deal though. Maybe I'm better off waiting for a US release, if there ever is one.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's good.

If anyone ever releases Drowning by Numbers, I'll buy it, even if I have to get a region-free player.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'm in the US. If I order some of these UK Amazon boxsets (Kubrick Coen Alien) will they play in my player? There's no region problems?

Depends on the set. Most of the good deals happen to be releases from Warner, which always put out region free films. I use blu-ray.com to check for region info.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Geeze, the BFI Kenneth Anger set is less than $20. I'm gonna crack on that before the month is out, no doubt.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Aorist posted:

Geeze, the BFI Kenneth Anger set is less than $20. I'm gonna crack on that before the month is out, no doubt.

Thanks for this, I cracked. Wanted to check out more of his films after getting a kick out of Scorpio Rising.

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 14, 2012

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Aorist posted:

Where? It's $50 at Amazon.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FitFortDanga posted:

Where? It's $50 at Amazon.
Here is the one he was talking about.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

henpod posted:

Does anyone have this UK Kubrick set and have any comments? I do want this, but I heard the transfers aren't that great? Also, the omission of Dr. Strangelove really hurts this as a collection.

2001 and Shining are great quality, not watched the rest yet.

Also it's £25 in HMV.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Wow, MPI really knows how to keep their customers happy. I bought Baraka on blu ray a few weeks ago off Amazon but I got a copy with the crappy cardboard case. I went to the MPI website and complained about the case but they never emailed me back or anything so I forgot about it. That was about two weeks ago. Got a package in the mail today, from MPI, a brand new copy of Baraka in a proper plastic case!

If anybody wants a copy of Baraka that hasn't even been watched yet for cheap, send me a PM.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Awful covers aside, MGM's trio of Hitchcock films look great:
Notorious
Spellbound
Rebecca

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The preorder for Monty Python & The Holy Grail dropped down to $12.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0016492BW

March 6th release date and includes an ULTRAVIOLET copy

- edit

The Digital Bits posted:

Also, there will apparently be some newly-created special features that were not mentioned in our Friday post.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 15, 2012

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com on Wings

:aaa:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hi thread :)

Anyone have an opinion on which of the 2 Jackie Brown releases is superior?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Quarantine dropped to $6.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001MVYUQQ

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hi thread :)

Anyone have an opinion on which of the 2 Jackie Brown releases is superior?

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/jackie_brown_blu-ray.htm

French one looks better to me but it is also region locked and I imagine way more expensive than the US one so the US one would be the one to get. :)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 17, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Casablanca 70th Anniversary Ultimate Edition on March 27.

Going off memory, the supplements look mostly the same, but there's definitely some new ones in there. The article also notes that the transfer on this disc is off of an all-new 4K restoration. The most recent printing already looked quite stunning, so I'm not sure how much better this will look (in 1080p, at least. Nice to know they have a 4K transfer ready once 4k tv's start rolling out), but something to keep an eye on for those that didn't pick it up the first time around.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 17, 2012

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sporadic posted:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/jackie_brown_blu-ray.htm

French one looks better to me but it is also region locked and I imagine way more expensive than the US one so the US one would be the one to get. :)

Ok, thanks for that.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Space_Butler posted:

Casablanca 70th Anniversary Ultimate Edition on March 27.

Going off memory, the supplements look mostly the same, but there's definitely some new ones in there. The article also notes that the transfer on this disc is off of an all-new 4K restoration. The most recent printing already looked quite stunning, so I'm not sure how much better this will look (in 1080p, at least. Nice to know they have a 4K transfer ready once 4k tv's start rolling out), but something to keep an eye on for those that didn't pick it up the first time around.

This is one of my favorite movies (if not my favorite outright) and I have put off buying it for some reason. Now I will put it off slightly longer.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Dead and uninteresting.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 19, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Sorry for the double post.

Yesterday, Paramount announced four more upcoming catalog titles. What's the flipside to Wings, Love Story, To Catch a Thief and Chinatown?

Clueless (May 1)
Hondo (June 1)
Barbarella (July 3)
Clue (August 7)

Weird, weird (but welcomed) choices.

Clue and Clueless are already up for preorder at Amazon for $15.99 (so are Hondo and Barbarella but at $17.49 and $20.49, which isn't anything to write home about)

Clue = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006YZOXLW
Clueless = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006YZOWAE

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

As expected, Manhattan looks gorgeous.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FitFortDanga posted:

These screenshots make me wish I had a better TV. There's no way those blacks will look as gorgeous as they should.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Sporadic posted:

Sorry for the double post.

Yesterday, Paramount announced four more upcoming catalog titles. What's the flipside to Wings, Love Story, To Catch a Thief and Chinatown?

Clueless (May 1)
Hondo (June 1)
Barbarella (July 3)
Clue (August 7)

Weird, weird (but welcomed) choices.

Clue and Clueless are already up for preorder at Amazon for $15.99 (so are Hondo and Barbarella but at $17.49 and $20.49, which isn't anything to write home about)

Clue = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006YZOXLW
Clueless = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006YZOWAE

Barbarella on blu-ray? I'll take it!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

loving hell.

It's like a moving photography album. Looks amazing.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Annie Hall looks great too. It's not very fair to compare it to the non-anamorphic DVD version.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
So, the Star Trek: The Next Generation sampler is out. The Digital Bits have reviewed it but this is all you need to know:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That bridge shot is fantastic. My only concern is the warp speed lines. Looking as crisp and sharp as they do, they kind of look silly which was masked by the original presentation.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some really cool news for horror fans.

quote:

Legendary horror studio Hammer has announced a global restoration project for its library of films. In partnership with Studiocanal, Pinewood and other international players, more than 30 films will be revamped in HD for Blu-ray and other new media supports. Hammer’s original U.S. production partners, 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros and Paramount, are also participating in the project. The first title to be released is Dracula Prince Of Darkness, which will go out in March in the UK. The studio was founded in 1934 and went on to make such titles as The Plague Of The Zombies, Frankenstein Created Woman, The Witches and The Mummy. Since 2008, it’s been a division of the Exclusive Media Group. After ceasing production in the 1980s, Hammer returned to features in 2010 with Matt Reeves’ adaptation of Swedish hit Let Me In. This year, it will release Daniel Radcliffe-starrer The Woman In Black. Here’s the release:

quote:

Dracula Prince of Darkness is the first title scheduled for release in the global restoration project and will be released in the UK in conjunction with STUDIOCANAL in March 2012. The partnership continues throughout the spring for the releases of The Reptile and The Plague of The Zombies, and will also include The Devil Rides Out, Rasputin the Mad Monk and The Mummy’s Shroud during the course of the year.

Hammer will also release definitive versions of its three hugely-influential original Gothic classics in the UK: The Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula and The Mummy.

As well as featuring a fully-restored HD picture and restored sound, the remastered films will boast a host of newly-filmed extras, including interviews with cast members. These documentary extras are being produced by Hammer expert and historian, Marcus Hearn – author of the recent “The Hammer Vault”.

Pinewood Studios carried out the restoration of the first three Studiocanal titles after housing the original negatives for the films, restoring the original UK title sequence to The Plague of The Zombies as well as the UK title cards to Dracula Prince of Darkness.

Recently-discovered footage that was originally cut from the British version of Dracula has been restored by Molinare to the BFI’s 2007 restoration courtesy of The National Film Center at The Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo. The Japanese footage features an extended and particularly gruesome death scene for Dracula, as well as a moment considered too erotic by the censors of the day.

Following the discovery and restoration of the Japanese footage to Dracula, Hammer is keen to unearth further “lost” scenes and on-set footage from The Curse of Frankenstein, The Mummy and other titles in their library, and hope that any private collectors with viable unseen elements will contact the company.

In addition, Hammer will regularly be posting to a “Restoration Blog”, which will give a unique insider’s view on the entire process, from material selection right the way through to release. The blog can be followed at: http://blog.hammerfilms.com

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/hammer-teams-with-studiocanal-others-for-major-restoration-of-film-library/

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Sporadic posted:

Hammer news that just made my day.

Oh. gently caress. Yes.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

frumpsnake posted:

So, the Star Trek: The Next Generation sampler is out. The Digital Bits have reviewed it but this is all you need to know:

Actually, I'd recommend checking out the Blu-ray.com screenshots.

:drat:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Set faces... to stunned :c00lbert:

Those are all just amazing. The most pleasant surprise is the color, actually. Everything looks so much less... '90s TV.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

akadajet posted:

Actually, I'd recommend checking out the Blu-ray.com screenshots.

:drat:

I'm still amazed by this. When I watched TNG as it originally aired, we didn't even have cable yet. I was watching a weak over-the-air signal with poor color and clarity, not to mention ghosting, noise, static, etc. on a pretty small television. The first time I saw an episode of TNG on cable, I couldn't believe how good it looked and what I had been missing. And now it looks like watching TNG again on Blu-ray will almost be like seeing the show for the first time.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Has anyone obtained a copy of Polanksi's "Repulsion" on blu ray, from the Criterion Collection?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Yeah, do you have a question about it?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Anderron Shi posted:

Has anyone obtained a copy of Polanksi's "Repulsion" on blu ray, from the Criterion Collection?

Yes and you can't have it.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

kaujot posted:

Yeah, do you have a question about it?
Yea, I was just curious about the supplemental (physical and on-disc) material included with the film. I ordered it from Amazon last Friday, so it should be arriving today or tomorrow.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Uh, well, it's all listed on Criterion's site, but in any case, it's a very solid package.

Edit: http://www.criterion.com/films/404-repulsion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The first of Universal's remastered releases for their 100th anniversary was reviewed at Blu-Ray.com

To Kill A Mockingbird

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/To-Kill-a-Mockingbird-Blu-ray/34352/#Review

Looks like they knocked it out of the park

Anderron Shi posted:

I rented it awhile back. It's on par with most of Criterion's Blu-Rays (as it is loving amazing and if you are a fan, it is a must buy)

• Locked thread