Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!
Picked this up at my lego store today:

Went in to get a modular building and picked up that and 4 grab bags as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

neckbeard posted:

Yeah, they're overstocked on them. Once they're out of the VW Buses, Lego will be tossing in an Imperial Shuttle when you order Clone Trooper minifig packs.

They must have a lot of overstocked items, I got a castle with my ninjago booster.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

neckbeard posted:

Clone Trooper minifig packs.

I've seen these, and the "hoth"-themed snowtrooper/rebel snow guy packs, but did they ever make stormtrooper versions of these? I don't have a lot of them but having a small squadron of them would be cool.

And while I'm here - I found a few old castle sets in the "giant bin everyone had as a kid", but if i wanted to get a few cheap old-school castle kits, where would I start? Bonus for dragon or wizard or ghost. (Nostalgia!)

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Diogenes Cynicus posted:

I have tons of LEGO from when I was a kid. And I've bought a whole lot more since then. I think my wife would really like her dining room table back at some point.

My parents gave my childhood lego away. :( I like to hope that somewhere, it made some kid's day.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I've seen these, and the "hoth"-themed snowtrooper/rebel snow guy packs, but did they ever make stormtrooper versions of these? I don't have a lot of them but having a small squadron of them would be cool.

And while I'm here - I found a few old castle sets in the "giant bin everyone had as a kid", but if i wanted to get a few cheap old-school castle kits, where would I start? Bonus for dragon or wizard or ghost. (Nostalgia!)

I'd suggest something like Majisto's Tower or Fire-Breathing Fortress but I don't know if those register as "cheap". At about $40-45 Dark Dragon's Den doesn't seem bad but it's got a TON of the hated BURPs. Looking at the price to brick ratios it looks like Fire-Breathing Fortress is the best deal. The Dark Dragon's Den is a pretty tall structure but it's only 170 pieces thanks to all the BURP walls.

I had most of these sets as a kid. The early 90s was a golden era for a sword and sorcery loving 12-year-old, we had Dragon Master legos and A Link To The Past on our super nintendos.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Travis343 posted:

I'd suggest something like Majisto's Tower or Fire-Breathing Fortress but I don't know if those register as "cheap". At about $40-45 Dark Dragon's Den doesn't seem bad but it's got a TON of the hated BURPs. Looking at the price to brick ratios it looks like Fire-Breathing Fortress is the best deal. The Dark Dragon's Den is a pretty tall structure but it's only 170 pieces thanks to all the BURP walls.

I had most of these sets as a kid. The early 90s was a golden era for a sword and sorcery loving 12-year-old, we had Dragon Master legos and A Link To The Past on our super nintendos.

Where does the term BURP come from? A google search didn't help. And really, people hate those walls? I thought they were awesome as a kid although I have avoided them in my recent purchases.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rare Collectable posted:

Where does the term BURP come from? A google search didn't help. And really, people hate those walls? I thought they were awesome as a kid although I have avoided them in my recent purchases.

It stands for Big Ugly Rock Pieces. People hate them because they don't have a lot of utility beyond being, well, big ugly rocks. Even if you use a bunch of them to make a mountain or whatever it's going to look like your mountain is made up of small, copy-pasted chunks unless you use smaller grey bricks to camoflage them.

Happysafer
Feb 12, 2007

"You idiots!"
I remember liking them as a kid, but I started to sort my old Lego bricks last night, and I can't believe how many of those stupid rocks I have. I have at least a dozen, it seems like every set I had must have come with two or three of them.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The madness of building Cafe Corner via Bricklink begins!

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
Man, all this chat about childhood sets reminds me of the 3 I remember most, but I can't remember their modelnumbers...

First one was a police helicopter, second one was a rescue chopper (black with decals, I think?) and the last one was a Johnny Thunder set, but I forget which one. I think it had a car.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Happysafer posted:

I remember liking them as a kid, but I started to sort my old Lego bricks last night, and I can't believe how many of those stupid rocks I have. I have at least a dozen, it seems like every set I had must have come with two or three of them.

Yeah, same here. I could have sworn I only had a couple back in the day, but nope I have like six of each of them. And there were practically no actual bricks in dark gray so I can't actually blend them with anything but I don't have enough light gray bricks to make any decent sized stone formations.

Also don't get Fire Breathing Fortress, it's pretty lame. I hate that my peak lego buying years came during the dragon guys theme, it looked cool at the time but even back then I was vaguely aware that none of the sets were as interesting to build as the older castle stuff. :sigh:

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy
I went to target today to check out some sets, there was a guy standing there for a good hour feeling up the minifig packets.

I know it was one of you! :argh:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Spikeness posted:

I went to target today to check out some sets, there was a guy standing there for a good hour feeling up the minifig packets.

I know it was one of you! :argh:

My Target still seems cleaned out. Although they just reset the ENTIRE store so maybe they'll restock when that's done.

Question about the Clockwork Robot in S6. Is his head just a large 1x1, or is it a helmet?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Just filled a quart baggie with minifigs. I wasn't even looking to find them, I just pulled them out as a scrounged up parts.

Never have I seen so many dismembered minifigs. Oh, the carnage.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My local Target had both the following:

On clearance for $50.

Yeah. Straight up an 800 piece and a 1000 piece set both for $50. My friend picked up an atlantis I'm thinking I might pick up one of each just to resell.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Fooley posted:

Question about the Clockwork Robot in S6. Is his head just a large 1x1, or is it a helmet?

Looks like it's one solid piece according to the crummy pics here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

theSpurious posted:

The only lego set I've ever built was the 1200 piece Vader's Advanced Tie set... Kept it on the edge of my desk and knocked that son of a bitch clean off... Never again.

Why would you put something like that perched so precariously!

SockFight
Dec 13, 2011

FOGLESONG SAYS STOP WHINING AND DO YOUR "OPERATIONAL" (DELIVERY TRUCK DRIVER) JOB BITCH

FOGLESONG'D
they keep growing, slowly...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can't imagine how soul-crushingly repetitive those cheese slopes must be.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
I really want the pieces out of that Ninjago booster, but I can't afford to drop $75 on larger sets with my wedding coming up and I'd feel like a tool actually buying into their latest Magic the Pokemoning thing. LEGO why do you make me feel ashamed to buy your cool pieces :argh:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

BrainWeasel posted:

I really want the pieces out of that Ninjago booster, but I can't afford to drop $75 on larger sets with my wedding coming up and I'd feel like a tool actually buying into their latest Magic the Pokemoning thing. LEGO why do you make me feel ashamed to buy your cool pieces :argh:

But...pearl gold chainsaws!

Before I even knew the booster packs were out, I saw three boxes of them at Fred Meyer after Christmas...all empty.

I've seen Booster Packs for Creationary at Toys R Us now. $10, but for some bizarre reason they only come with like 12 pieces. The only thing of 'value' in them are the new cards.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Shin-chan posted:

Do you know where I can get this other than a Lego store?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Also, drat you Jut for getting the City Hall so soon! Is that main color dark orange? Because, if it is, I will love that set forever.

yes

Finished the second floor

Comes with a politician and his secretary, minimal furniture.
I like the plastic $100, gives plenty of options to act out tales of corruption and scandal.

Jut fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 14, 2012

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Shin-chan posted:

I'm interested in seeing how this goes. I know at the price and piece count it seems cool, and it is about a foot long, but the pictures I saw of the actual item looked so underwhelming, probably because there was nothing to compare scale to.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Oh, by the way -- my Christmas haul this year, in addition to the Mill Village Raid (which is pretty cool) contained a gift cert to Brickforge, and since my order of cool custom accessories just came in, I decided to spruce up my Final Fantasy themed figs and put my Engineer Cid into a little scene I threw together.

Click here for the full 2324x1615 image

I call it "The Right Tool For The Right Job."

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

ZarathustraFollower posted:

To my untrained eye, it really looks like you might have the Death Star in that haul. Imperial guard, the black droid, Grand Moff Tarkin....drat.

I agree.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

shop.lego.com has the UCS Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter up at $60 down from $100. Went ahead and grabbed it to see if I'll like the UCS set before the B-Wing comes out.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

BrainWeasel posted:

Oh, by the way -- my Christmas haul this year, in addition to the Mill Village Raid (which is pretty cool) contained a gift cert to Brickforge, and since my order of cool custom accessories just came in, I decided to spruce up my Final Fantasy themed figs and put my Engineer Cid into a little scene I threw together.

Click here for the full 2324x1615 image

I call it "The Right Tool For The Right Job."

I thought those cogs were K'Nex for a second :barf:

Testro
May 2, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't imagine how soul-crushingly repetitive those cheese slopes must be.
They are. Tower Bridge is probably the most impressive looking model that I've got (it dwarfs the modulars) but there was a point where x24 cheese slopes x8 got really, really old.

The suspension ropes were my favourite bit.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Testro posted:

but there was a point where x24 cheese slopes x8 got really, really old.

That right there put me off buying it.

Edit: oh those who were worried about town hall not fitting with the rest of the modulars...they all use the same size base plate. The footprint for TH is no bigger than the others

Jut fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 14, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Local Walmart finally restocked! They have most of the Dino sets and the new city and some of the superhero stuff. They have the batcave for $70. They also have the star wars clone
Turbo tank on clearance for $90 and the star wars advent calendar for $20. Any of these worth picking up?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just dug out a huge bin of Train, original Bionicle and random minifigs that had been sitting in the closet for a while now. I've got pics and I'll upload'em soon as I find the stupid cable for the camera, but damned if there isn't a shitload of it. Probably 50+ pounds. Hopefully someone's interested in trading, because goddamn there's a lot.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

ZarathustraFollower posted:

To my untrained eye, it really looks like you might have the Death Star in that haul. Imperial guard, the black droid, Grand Moff Tarkin....drat.

I think it's from the Star Destroyer playset (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6211-1)

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
The People talking about finding series 6 in supermarkets are in the uk, right? Where are/ are people finding them in the US? I've checked 2 toysrus, 2 target, and 2 Walmart. Not lucky enough to have a Lego store near me, am I just stuck waiting?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Network42 posted:

The People talking about finding series 6 in supermarkets are in the uk, right? Where are/ are people finding them in the US? I've checked 2 toysrus, 2 target, and 2 Walmart. Not lucky enough to have a Lego store near me, am I just stuck waiting?

There are 3 super walmarts within 15 or so miles of me. One of them sells
Mini figs.

2 targets within 10 miles, one sells them.

1 toys r us which sells them.

All of them still only series 5.

Lego store an hour from me when I was there last month still had series 5.

Pretty much a crap shoot as to finding them here at least.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Network42 posted:

Yeah I got a couple of series 6 packs in our local supermarket (uk) and apparently I suck at feeling. Got a flamenco dancer and the genie (who is ace) rather than the Roman legionary that I was after.

SockFight
Dec 13, 2011

FOGLESONG SAYS STOP WHINING AND DO YOUR "OPERATIONAL" (DELIVERY TRUCK DRIVER) JOB BITCH

FOGLESONG'D

SockFight posted:

they keep growing, slowly...

Eh, its not that bad, they cheese slopes mostly came sorted already so just tear the bag open and snap while watching TV.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Yay toys r us restocked too, kinda. They had the Luther power armor so I picked that up. No series 6 yet though.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

UberJumper posted:

Do you know where I can get this other than a Lego store?

It's considered a "VIP Exclusive" so either a Lego store or Lego.com when it becomes available.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I'm interested in seeing how this goes. I know at the price and piece count it seems cool, and it is about a foot long, but the pictures I saw of the actual item looked so underwhelming, probably because there was nothing to compare scale to.

Here's the first building with a minifig. I've got progressive photos as well that I'll get uploaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

Network42 posted:

I'm in Canada and only one Lego store has gotten them in and they got them in very recently, within the last couple days or so.Everywhere else I've checked hasn't gotten anything new in yet. So if you don't have a Lego store near you you're likely just going to have to wait.

My girlfriend and I spent about 20 mins feeling for them and I bought 16, only ended up with 4 doubles. 4 more to go!

The one girl working at the Lego store asked us which ones we were still looking for and even went so far to give us one out of her pile that she had in the back so we could complete the set. The people who work there always seem genuinely nice and helpful.