Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

And for the record, if something like that is affecting credit you are likely to have a $50-100 deposit to sign back up as well.

So basically, Sprint charges people with poor/no credit an extra $5 a month. It sucks, although on the flip side sprint's deposits are $0-100 in almost every situation. In your case you should call the credit department (I do not have their direct number, sorry) because after 12 months in a row of on time bill payment it should be removed from your account entirely. If you need me to check for you feel free to PM me your last name and cell #

For anyone with a spending limit (hint: if you are not approved for 5 lines you have one) going on autobill pay waives the fee.

I have a spending limit and had to pay a $100 deposit to get my NS line. However, the deposit will be returned to me sometime this year and my spending limit should be leaving around June of this year.

Would this effect me trying to buy out my contract to get the Galaxy Nexus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

Boy am I late to this party.

I have a SERO plan with 3 lines. A TP2(primary#), a TP(my tethering phone) and a lowly Samsung dumbphone(my mooch brother) on it.

TP2 is on my primary line w/TEP. I run the last Froyo droid build on it from sd card. Love it! But the minor probs keep reminding me it is time to go native with an actual droid phone. I see there is the SERO Premium option I can go with. No heartbreak there to make that call. I prefer to pickup a phone off craigslist and stay month-to-month on all lines though.

From the WinMo threads, I've always loved the slider keyboard phones (mogul to TP to TP2), but that wear and tear really takes a toll on my heavily used phone. Thinking it is time to try the soft kb and reduce the moving parts.

I don't need 4G or any of the rate increases that go with it, so I'm looking for options to go with. Any recommendations for a decent droid model to go to from my TP2?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
FYI, last night's Evervolv ICS build for the 3D is nearly perfect now that video playback and kernel wake lock issues are fixed.

Well...it WOULD be, but the camera still doesn't work. I like it so much that I'm still gonna try keeping it as my daily and leave a bare bones Sense nandroid around for PRL updates and when I know I'm gonna need a camera or 4g tethering.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Imaginos posted:

Boy am I late to this party.

I have a SERO plan with 3 lines. A TP2(primary#), a TP(my tethering phone) and a lowly Samsung dumbphone(my mooch brother) on it.

TP2 is on my primary line w/TEP. I run the last Froyo droid build on it from sd card. Love it! But the minor probs keep reminding me it is time to go native with an actual droid phone. I see there is the SERO Premium option I can go with. No heartbreak there to make that call. I prefer to pickup a phone off craigslist and stay month-to-month on all lines though.

From the WinMo threads, I've always loved the slider keyboard phones (mogul to TP to TP2), but that wear and tear really takes a toll on my heavily used phone. Thinking it is time to try the soft kb and reduce the moving parts.

I don't need 4G or any of the rate increases that go with it, so I'm looking for options to go with. Any recommendations for a decent droid model to go to from my TP2?

LG Marquee is the current midrange favorite, preceded by the LG Optimus S. Samsung Replenish is the only smartphone that doesn't incur the extra $10/month.

BTW it's Android phones. Android is the software, Droid is just one phone that runs Android. Oversimplified as there are several Droids, but none on Sprint.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I have a spending limit and had to pay a $100 deposit to get my NS line. However, the deposit will be returned to me sometime this year and my spending limit should be leaving around June of this year.

Would this effect me trying to buy out my contract to get the Galaxy Nexus?

No, the only thing that would prevent you from getting the deposit back is if your account defaulted (the reason they have deposits for). Deposits are in no way affected by what device or plan is on your account.

And I just realized you are asking more about buying out the contract. Eh, sprint is more likely to do it for customers who have better credit and been with us a while, but if you pay your bills on time they are still open to helping you for sure. Wait and see is all I got.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

zenintrude posted:

Any reason that my E4GT now takes 1+ seconds for the screen to turn on vs. its previous instant on?

All I've done is installed an SD card and used App 2 SD Pro to move things over. Still instant ons while plugged in.
It's the SD card. For some reason there's a delay in turning on the screen when you have a SD card installed. Supposedly someone from Sprint was trying to get some data on it from XDA when the phone first came out but I haven't heard any more about it since.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Duckman2008 posted:

Where are you working now? There is a good chance you qualify for a discount and just don't know it. Also, banking with a credit union or AAA gets you 10% off. And as a final note, it sounds like the dude you bought that phone from is an idiot who did not explain everything.

I'm a night baker at Panera, so I really doubt I do, honestly. Is there any way to take advantage of the employee referral discount in my case? Probably not, I'm guessing.

Still can't log in to my Sprint account. With the same exact userid/password I've used successfully before I just keep getting "Try again. Your information doesn't match our records. Remember capitalization counts."

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

LG Marquee is the current midrange favorite, preceded by the LG Optimus S. Samsung Replenish is the only smartphone that doesn't incur the extra $10/month.

BTW it's Android phones. Android is the software, Droid is just one phone that runs Android. Oversimplified as there are several Droids, but none on Sprint.

Whoops. Yeah, I was using the droid term as if it was a generic reference. From all the back reading I have been doing, looking like my primary SERO line is gonna go to an unavoidable $50/mo. Oh well, still a pretty good deal. If I gotta eat the 4G surcharge, I'd almost have to say hey, why not the Samsung Galaxy 2?
I'll get my til down to the sprint store and play with a few of them to do some hands on comparing.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You don't have to be stuck with $50/mo unless you get a 4G phone or an iPhone. Other smartphones just bump you up to $40/mo.

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005

z16bitsega posted:

My phone (Evo 3D) won't receive calls when roaming. I can make calls, send texts, and data works fine, but I can't receive any calls at all. I have google voice integration if that makes a difference- the calls don't come into google voice either. Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone? The only Sprint store within 40 miles seemed to have no idea.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

WardeL posted:

I'm a night baker at Panera, so I really doubt I do, honestly. Is there any way to take advantage of the employee referral discount in my case? Probably not, I'm guessing.

Still can't log in to my Sprint account. With the same exact userid/password I've used successfully before I just keep getting "Try again. Your information doesn't match our records. Remember capitalization counts."

Sprint.com issues tend to suck as long as you know your username you can try to recover the password on the sign in window and see if somehow the password is different.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

No, the only thing that would prevent you from getting the deposit back is if your account defaulted (the reason they have deposits for). Deposits are in no way affected by what device or plan is on your account.

And I just realized you are asking more about buying out the contract. Eh, sprint is more likely to do it for customers who have better credit and been with us a while, but if you pay your bills on time they are still open to helping you for sure. Wait and see is all I got.

To expand on that slightly, things like buying out contracts and so on are retention offers generally so it depends on the policy at the time, how long you've been with sprint, your adjustment history, your payment history and so on. Best person to ask is an acct svcs/retention rep.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Managed to pay things on time each month so I'll give retentions a call around the time of the launch of the GNex and see how things go. Thanks for all the advice though!

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 14, 2012

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

z16bitsega posted:

Did you check the roaming settings? I have Fresh, and not sure if it's like this on all of them, but I think I saw where it had where I could turn certain things off while roaming, like voice, while keeping data on.

I'll check in a little while to make sure I'm thinking correctly since my phone isn't next to me right now.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Imaginos posted:

From all the back reading I have been doing, looking like my primary SERO line is gonna go to an unavoidable $50/mo.
Only if the smartphone was released after October 5th. So far that just includes the new Motorola Admiral and Samsung Transform Ultra. Older 3G smartphones are allowed on the $40 SERO Premium with no extra data add-on.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

z16bitsega posted:

z16bitsega posted:
My phone (Evo 3D) won't receive calls when roaming. I can make calls, send texts, and data works fine, but I can't receive any calls at all. I have google voice integration if that makes a difference- the calls don't come into google voice either. Anyone have any ideas?

No clue if this helps:

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005

uapyro posted:

Did you check the roaming settings? I have Fresh, and not sure if it's like this on all of them, but I think I saw where it had where I could turn certain things off while roaming, like voice, while keeping data on.

I'll check in a little while to make sure I'm thinking correctly since my phone isn't next to me right now.

I checked, none of the roaming guards are on.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sprint will no longer be releasing new WiMax phones from this point on and Windows Phone will not be sold on Sprint in the near future.

There's also speculation of the Galaxy Nexus showing up in April of 2012 because of Sprint's Vice President of Product Development, David Owens stating the "April, May, June, July, August, those will be very aggressive times for us".

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sprint will no longer be releasing new WiMax phones from this point on and Windows Phone will not be sold on Sprint in the near future.

There's also speculation of the Galaxy Nexus showing up in April of 2012 because of Sprint's Vice President of Product Development, David Owens stating the "April, May, June, July, August, those will be very aggressive times for us".

4 months in cell phone years is like 20,000 years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WardeL posted:

Panera bread employees I'm sure get a discount, at least 10-14%. I will check tomorrow.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Do any of you salesfolk think the Nexus' contract pricepoint is going to be the same $300 as Verizon? Or more likely the $250 price that seems to be what gets put on high end phones at release.

I am contemplating just buying out my contract, though I renewed in June, meaning I'm only like 6 months in. Is there a point I have to reach in my contract to be allowed to buy it out, or can I just ring up CS tomorrow and pay them the $200 or whatever fraction thereof to have my upgrade ready for the Nexus?

Given the likelihood of it being a $650-700 phone off contract it would of course be prudent to buy out if possible.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

Do any of you salesfolk think the Nexus' contract pricepoint is going to be the same $300 as Verizon? Or more likely the $250 price that seems to be what gets put on high end phones at release.

I am contemplating just buying out my contract, though I renewed in June, meaning I'm only like 6 months in. Is there a point I have to reach in my contract to be allowed to buy it out, or can I just ring up CS tomorrow and pay them the $200 or whatever fraction thereof to have my upgrade ready for the Nexus?

Given the likelihood of it being a $650-700 phone off contract it would of course be prudent to buy out if possible.

Buyouts are completely at the discretion of retentions. I have no idea, most situations I see are 5-10 months left in contract anyway.

Who knows on pricing yet. Sprint in general is striving on keeping prices below $200, so my bet would be $199. It still could be more. Time will tell.

And wait for the phone to launched before buying out a contract.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
For those of you with Evo 3Ds out there, I checked and my phone had an update this evening that appears to remove Carrier IQ. I did a bit of googling and the results I found seem to indicate that this is the case. It also seems that the update improves battery life somewhat. No ICS though unfortunately which is what I was hoping for when it showed up, still the update seems like a definitely improvement.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Duckman2008 posted:

Buyouts are completely at the discretion of retentions. I have no idea, most situations I see are 5-10 months left in contract anyway.

Who knows on pricing yet. Sprint in general is striving on keeping prices below $200, so my bet would be $199. It still could be more. Time will tell.

And wait for the phone to launched before buying out a contract.

I would love to see it at 199, talk about making GBS threads all over Verizon, who wants 299 plus two years of your life.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

tomguycot posted:

For those of you with Evo 3Ds out there, I checked and my phone had an update this evening that appears to remove Carrier IQ. I did a bit of googling and the results I found seem to indicate that this is the case. It also seems that the update improves battery life somewhat. No ICS though unfortunately which is what I was hoping for when it showed up, still the update seems like a definitely improvement.

Thanks for the heads up. Touch flo is way smoother now. Haven't had a chance to see if the battery is any better though.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
Quick trip report on the evo 3d update. Battery life is noticeably better. I've been browsing the net and sending text messages all morning and just now did the battery gauge finally deplete somewhat. Normally with this amount of heavy radio use and screen on time I'd be down to 50% easily. Also things feel a lot more fluid but I don't have any hard numbers to back that up. Either way, I'm impressed.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.
I hope someone may have a response for me before I fly off the handle.

Last year in May my Blackberry Curve bit the dust and I was in a panic, went to the Sprint store to purchase a replacement, which was a Samsung Transform, and added TEP to my plan.

I noticed after two months or so I was having slow down issues, unresponsiveness, random restarts and shut offs, and worse, it's corrupted 2 memory cards.

At the Sprint store all they did was hard reset it and sent me on my way and I'm not due for an upgrade until 2013.

Am I going to be stuck hard resetting this thing until then, or is it possible using my TEP to get a replacement phone?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

UndergroundHero posted:

Last year in May my Blackberry Curve bit the dust and I was in a panic, went to the Sprint store to purchase a replacement, which was a Samsung Transform, and added TEP to my plan.

I noticed after two months or so I was having slow down issues, unresponsiveness, random restarts and shut offs, and worse, it's corrupted 2 memory cards.

At the Sprint store all they did was hard reset it and sent me on my way and I'm not due for an upgrade until 2013.

Am I going to be stuck hard resetting this thing until then, or is it possible using my TEP to get a replacement phone?

TEP has a deductible of 100 to make a claim with insurance company directly. Just go back into the store and see if they might exchange it.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Giblet posted:

TEP has a deductible of 100 to make a claim with insurance company directly. Just go back into the store and see if they might exchange it.

Would that work if I wanted to get a different model of phone? Of course I'd be willing to pay any difference.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

UndergroundHero posted:

Would that work if I wanted to get a different model of phone? Of course I'd be willing to pay any difference.

You would need that phone exchanged 3 times in 6 months. No option to pay the difference.

JumboJetDreams
Jun 3, 2008
Have any of you lovely Sprint employees heard of an issue with the water damage sticker on the HTC Hero? The touch screen on mine shat itself and when I went to get it replaced they refused, due to the sticker being tripped (it has never been in water and the one on the battery is fine). One of my friends, who also has a Hero, got his replaced a couple weeks ago and he said the woman who helped him just scratched the sticker off and said that it was a known issue.

I'm eligible for an upgrade now, but I'm trying really hard to hold out for the G Nexus. Is there anything I can do to get them to ignore the sticker?

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Giblet posted:

You would need that phone exchanged 3 times in 6 months. No option to pay the difference.

OK, thanks for the input, I really appreciate it

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UndergroundHero posted:

you need to get out of that phone. Sprint reps can order you a different model replacement at their discretion, I personally always do for Transform owners out of pure pity. Show up every day at the store until they get you a different phone.

If you are lucky the epic will still be on the replacement list for the Transform. Worst case you get the Optimus. Either way, the Transform is the 2nd worst phone I have ever dealt with for its range (the worst being the Zio) so you need to get out of it.

Buying an evo or nexus off Craigslist is an option you should also consider.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

you need to get out of that phone. Sprint reps can order you a different model replacement at their discretion, I personally always do for Transform owners out of pure pity. Show up every day at the store until they get you a different phone.

Wouldn't it be a well exception? If so most reps will not.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anyone know how I can get PPTP VPN working on Sprint? Searched the thread and didn't see anything.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Giblet posted:

Wouldn't it be a well exception? If so most reps will not.

It would be. And I guess you are right, I just don't see why. Sprint doesn't take a have stance on the 3 like exchanges rule beyond they really recommend that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

e.pie posted:

Anyone know how I can get PPTP VPN working on Sprint? Searched the thread and didn't see anything.

I got this sorted out. You have to call sprint and have them add a static ip to your line, it's $3 extra a month.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

e.pie posted:

I got this sorted out. You have to call sprint and have them add a static ip to your line, it's $3 extra a month.

Really? Weird. I've had it working off and on before, but eventually gave up trying.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
gently caress me, the 3d update made this phone even more buttery than it was before. I actually went back to Rosie (previously used Zeam launcher) to see the impact there and I'll be damned if it isn't smooth as hell even on Rosie.

It's loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

The Entire Universe posted:

gently caress me, the 3d update made this phone even more buttery than it was before. I actually went back to Rosie (previously used Zeam launcher) to see the impact there and I'll be damned if it isn't smooth as hell even on Rosie.

It's loving amazing.

Completely agreed. I thought that maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part but everything really does seem to run a bit smoother with this update. Hell, I was already happy with the phone but between this and the improved battery life I'm positively blown away. I really hope they don't mess up the ICS update like they did some of the froyo to gingerbread updates because in my opinion the phone is near perfect right now.