Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It's an application in /Applications. Just drag it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Xabi posted:

Yes, I'm just surprised at how easy it seems to be. I was expecting some hellish operation.

Thanks!

Make sure that if you copy them to your main HD and then add them, you don't end up with two copies. By default the 'copy to itunes media folder when importing to library' is checked, so you'll end up with a second copy. When I first got my Mac I was wondering where all my HD space went, but I still had a 'music' folder on my desktop. That's where I was used to playing my music from on Linux/PC, and didn't realize there was a second copy of everything in the iTunes library folders.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

It's an application in /Applications. Just drag it back.

Oh yeah, always forget that it's just an app. Thanks!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
IS anyone having difficulties with the wireless syncing? My iPad syncs wirelessly fine, and up until about a week ago so did my 4S. Now my 4S won't sync wirelessly on a consistent basis. It worked once earlier today but that's it. Either the phone can't see my Macbook Air or it will show up in iTunes and say "waiting for sync to start" and then time out.

I've restored from an earlier time machine backup, rebooted my router, and restored my phone from an earlier iCloud backup from when I know everything worked.

Any suggestions?

My iPad 2 syncs flawlessly still.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Bob Morales posted:

Make sure that if you copy them to your main HD and then add them, you don't end up with two copies. By default the 'copy to itunes media folder when importing to library' is checked, so you'll end up with a second copy. When I first got my Mac I was wondering where all my HD space went, but I still had a 'music' folder on my desktop. That's where I was used to playing my music from on Linux/PC, and didn't realize there was a second copy of everything in the iTunes library folders.
Oh gently caress, it was checked. Can I just delete my Mp3 folder now or do I gently caress something up if I do?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Xabi posted:

Oh gently caress, it was checked. Can I just delete my Mp3 folder now or do I gently caress something up if I do?

You can just delete it. All your music has been copied and iTunes won't be affected.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Xabi posted:

Right click a song in iTunes and click "Show in Finder" just to make sure it copied over the songs onto the iTunes music folder. Then delete the mp3 folder.

When you initially added the songs to iTunes did they show up instantly or did it take a while to process through them?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Thanks. iTunes makes me nervous, I'm constantly afraid of deleting something by mistake. I ended up with a million different playlists when I copied my music over. Do I delete my songs as well if I delete the playlists?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The playlists won't touch any files. You can get rid of them.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

When you initially added the songs to iTunes did they show up instantly or did it take a while to process through them?
Still processing, and it has been for a good while. Just about finished now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Even if you delete a song, it'll ask you first. Then it'll ask you if you want to move it to the Trash/Recycling Bin. So even if you mash through and hit yes to those both, it's not off your computer still.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Anyone know of a program that lives in the menu that shows which number desktop space you're currently on? I've gotten used to most of the Spaces changes that Apple made in Lion, but I really miss this small detail.

The only workaround I've seen mentioned is to Photoshop the number or an identifier on the desktop background image, but I like to change my backgrounds fairly often so that's not great solution.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Can anyone comment on upgrading an 11" Macbook Air to Lion? I have the 2GB/64GB model, 1.4GHz. I need to upgrade to Lion, because even though you can run Xcode 4 on Snow Leopard you can't do development with ARC.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Bob Morales posted:

Can anyone comment on upgrading an 11" Macbook Air to Lion? I have the 2GB/64GB model, 1.4GHz. I need to upgrade to Lion, because even though you can run Xcode 4 on Snow Leopard you can't do development with ARC.

I have Lion on mine with the same specs, it runs fine. Even with Parallels, iTunes, iPhoto, and Safari all going its still quite snappy.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

How would I transcode a .m2v video file into an MP4/MOV (H.264, QT-Compatible) format?

I'm doing sound design for a film and the movie was sent to me as a .m2v, exported from Final Cut. I have opened it in QT Pro 7 and QT 10 (with Perian), but neither can play the video, however VLC can. Do I just need the codec? If I can open it in QT 7, I can change the encapsulation to something my postproduction software recognizes.

edit: Because this is for a project, I would like a perfect frame-by-frame output. The quality doesn't matter (I can transcode it), but I don't want to have dropped frames or hosed-up timings.
Well if you're fine with transcoding Handbrake can probably do the job.

Martytoof posted:

When I'm using VNC screen sharing built into Lion, how do I send a literal ctrl-arrowleft which isn't interpreted by my local machine first?

I entered VPN'd onto campus, and VNC'd into my Mac and accidentally clicked on a fullscreen app. I'd like to go back to my desktop, but hitting ctrl-leftarrow makes my HOME system scroll over to its dashboard instead of making the remote system switch over one space.

I know I can un-fullscreen that particular app and then just fullscreen it again when I get back to my desk tomorrow, but that seems really inelegant.

e: I alt-tabbed into a non-fullscreen app and that took me back to my main workspace. Still, very inelegant :(
I do the Mission Control dock icon trick, but I think there's some plist hack that switches how it handles certain shortcuts (passing through or intercepting). Looks like it's in Secrets, but I don't know if it still works in 10.7.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I know the standard line is, "if you're editing video, get a macbook pro," but I'm trying to squeeze one more year out of my 2008 macbook (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 4 gig ram) but I am getting to the point in my minor where I have to start using Final Cut Pro. I'm using FCP 7 this year and our projects are mainly consisting of stills, am I going to be ok? Next semester I am going to have to ramp up what I do, but I also get more school money next year so kind of would rather wait than eat only ramen this semester.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Rick posted:

I know the standard line is, "if you're editing video, get a macbook pro," but I'm trying to squeeze one more year out of my 2008 macbook (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 4 gig ram) but I am getting to the point in my minor where I have to start using Final Cut Pro. I'm using FCP 7 this year and our projects are mainly consisting of stills, am I going to be ok? Next semester I am going to have to ramp up what I do, but I also get more school money next year so kind of would rather wait than eat only ramen this semester.

FCP 7 came out in 2009, you should be OK.

Edit wait: macbook non pro. You might be OK. Try it and if it's unbearable, then upgrade.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
If you're working with stills, it'll be fine.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I had been happily using MacFUSE + NTFS-3G in Snow Leopard. I now need NTFS read/write support in Lion, and it seems MacFUSE and NTFS-3G don't work.

Can I make them work in Lion? If not, is there an equally good free alternative?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

If not, is there an equally good free alternative?
Fuse4x + ntfs-3g. I already use Homebrew, so I just used that for installing them.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I just had a massive sperg session and updated all the artwork in my iTunes library with nice hi-res images. If I want this new artwork to propagate to iTunes Match, am I going to have to re-upload my entire library again?

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
To those of your running Bootcamp with Windows 7 on your MBP: do you notice the unit seems get noticeably hotter, though not over-the-top hot, when using Windows 7 as oppose to Lion?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xithyl posted:

To those of your running Bootcamp with Windows 7 on your MBP: do you notice the unit seems get noticeably hotter, though not over-the-top hot, when using Windows 7 as oppose to Lion?

This is normal. The power management isn't as smart in Windows. If you have a 15 or 17-inch, the dedicated GPU will be forced on in Windows at all times as well (thanks for that one Apple.)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Xithyl posted:

It gets even worse if you dare run a game or anything particularly intensive. I once had the thing power itself off (or suspend itself, I forget) after 20 minutes of Mafia II. I installed some fan control, so I'm seeing how well that works with a higher base RPM.

The main thing that helps is to use it on something hard, like a desk or a box or something. I've just left it on my bed and that certainly doesn't help the heat build up. But yeah, that's normal – I'm pretty sure my 2006 MBP was just as bad, if not worse.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I use a cooling pad when gaming, otherwise the GPU starts throttling itself, I think.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Lazyhound posted:

I use a cooling pad when gaming, otherwise the GPU starts throttling itself, I think.

To get decent performance out of the NVidia 9400M in my Macbook Pro, I had to set "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" instead of "Adaptive" under the NVidia control panel. It would throttle the card even when the laptop wasn't hot.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

fleshweasel posted:

This is normal. The power management isn't as smart in Windows. If you have a 15 or 17-inch, the dedicated GPU will be forced on in Windows at all times as well (thanks for that one Apple.)

:sigh: Once again: "Why should Apple provide the same level of support to a competing OS as its own?"

Also there's probably other poo poo like Microsoft not providing access to the power management APIs or it being done in a different manner than Apples. Apple would probably shoot down anyone trying to provide this level of functionality to boot.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone have any experience with mac based GPS software? Ideally I'd like to be able to see where I am on a map without being on the internet, anywhere in the world... I've already got a working receiver.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

soy posted:

Anyone have any experience with mac based GPS software? Ideally I'd like to be able to see where I am on a map without being on the internet, anywhere in the world... I've already got a working receiver.

What receiver do you have? I used to have a Microsoft-branded one that came with a copy of Streets and Trips (for Windows), and found some drivers on SourceForge but they quit getting updated somewhere in the 10.5 days.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Is there any way to grab the Lion install .dmg on an already installed copy of Lion? The App Store has it greyed out and won't let me redownload it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

kim jong-illin posted:

Is there any way to grab the Lion install .dmg on an already installed copy of Lion? The App Store has it greyed out and won't let me redownload it.

Sign into the App Store. Hold down the Option key while clicking on the Purchases tab at the top.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So is there any particular reason why half the time I fullscreen a video using Quicktime, I get logged out of OSX? It's getting pretty old pretty fast, and when it happened just now, the login screen wouldn't respond to mouse clicks or key presses. I remember this happening in Snow Leopard as well but not quite as frequently.

Edit: Okay, some more interesting stuff is going on. First, my WiFi got all screwy once I restarted, but I managed to sort that out (by doing the trick with Key Manager), and now no external drives show up on the Desktop (though they do on Finder's side panel thing). Not only that, once I dismounted my main external and plugged it back in, not only will it not show up on the desktop, it's greyed out on Finder's side panel and I can't interact with it in any way. My iPod or any other drives won't show up on the desktop, either.

Edit 2: The drive shows up on Disk Utility, though I didn't try anything from there yet. The only way to access the drive's contents is to search a folder with Alfred (presumably Spotlight works too) and open it, at which point the folder opens up in Finder and I'm able to browse the drive's contents. I realize that this might be a hardware issue, but it's pretty clear the whole thing started with the Quicktime force-logout.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 16, 2012

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

So is there any particular reason why half the time I fullscreen a video using Quicktime, I get logged out of OSX?

Force-logout happens when one of the processes in charge of your user session crashes. Most likely it's windowserver or launchd or something like that. Check Console.app for user and system diagnostic reports, and see what process has crash logs corresponding to force-logouts. You can post them here if you want us to try to diagnose them for you.

Are you fully updated? Are you running any sort of graphics modifying app like gfxCardStatus?

Your other problems sound weird, maybe a Genius Bar trip is in order. Do you have any weird apps installed which mess with the Finder? Crash logs for anything would be informative.

FYI there is a Finder preference to not show drives on the desktop, but I assume you didn't set it otherwise you'd know about it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

chimz posted:

Force-logout happens when one of the processes in charge of your user session crashes. Most likely it's windowserver or launchd or something like that. Check Console.app for user and system diagnostic reports, and see what process has crash logs corresponding to force-logouts. You can post them here if you want us to try to diagnose them for you.

Are you fully updated? Are you running any sort of graphics modifying app like gfxCardStatus?

Your other problems sound weird, maybe a Genius Bar trip is in order. Do you have any weird apps installed which mess with the Finder? Crash logs for anything would be informative.

FYI there is a Finder preference to not show drives on the desktop, but I assume you didn't set it otherwise you'd know about it.
I think I just got it working again. Did a normal restart (with the external drive unplugged) and everything seems to be working okay now. But that did give me a bit of a scare; I've had random logouts before but nothing like this.

But from scouring the log it seems that yeah, it was windowserver that snuffed it. I'm fully updated with 10.7.2, newest Quicktime, the works. I have no mods or the like running, save for Perian and that's only for Quicktime obviously. I do use TotalFinder but even after turning it off the drive showed up greyed out. Thanks for the help though, I'm starting to feel like I should take this thing to a Genius Bar anyway just to see if everything's alright.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does enabling Internet Sharing cause anyone else's computer to crash?

One of the guys here enabled it on his 27" iMac and it's crashed (gray screen, reboot) every day since.

I saw this on MR Forums:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1235318&highlight=internet+sharing+crash

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 16, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mine kernel panics when I try to connect my Thinkpad to the wifi network created through internet sharing. It's partly why I finally bought a wireless router.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Mu Zeta posted:

Mine kernel panics when I try to connect my Thinkpad to the wifi network created through internet sharing. It's partly why I finally bought a wireless router.

That shouldn't happen ever. Have you submitted the kernel panic logs to the Apple bug tracker?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

chutwig posted:

That shouldn't happen ever. Have you submitted the kernel panic logs to the Apple bug tracker?

For those of you who do this, this site is nifty: http://openradar.appspot.com

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
What's the best way to watch movie files stored on one Mac on another (on the same WiFi network)? It always feels like way more hassle than it should to connect to the other using AFP or SMB, find the file, and eventually watch using VLC. It seems like the time taken is measured in minutes, whereas it ought to take seconds. The comparison is especially stark if you compare the above to the AirVideo workflow of OS X -> iOS.

Is there anything similar for OS X, or even just a more robust file sharing method to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lexicon posted:

What's the best way to watch movie files stored on one Mac on another (on the same WiFi network)? It always feels like way more hassle than it should to connect to the other using AFP or SMB, find the file, and eventually watch using VLC. It seems like the time taken is measured in minutes, whereas it ought to take seconds. The comparison is especially stark if you compare the above to the AirVideo workflow of OS X -> iOS.

Is there anything similar for OS X, or even just a more robust file sharing method to use?
Look for StreamToMe on the Mac App Store. It's basically just a port of the iOS version so the UI is out of place, and transcodes if necessary to fit iOS hardware profiles I guess (or bandwidth if you choose for remote streaming). Unlike the iOS version this one is free though, as is the server app (on the developer webpage).