Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

inset posted:

Is there a (free/cheap) keyboard replacement that will let me have arrow keys on the keyboard?

The default one on my Desire HD has it, but now I'm on a Desire S, and they're gone. I find it useful not only when texting but tend to SSH to my home computer with Irssi Connectbot, and having no up-arrow is just frustrating :(

e: perhaps swype can do it, will check it out.

I use mainly go keyboard it has arrows on an editing keyboard layout you can switch to, but the coolest implementation of arrows has got to be the gingerbread keyboard from the market. you long-push space to drag the arrows on or off screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm, I can't reproduce that issue or the other one you mentioned.

I'll look over the code this weekend and see if I have any ideas.

Did you mention what device and carrier you're on?

I've got a Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

In related news, it started acting up on me again. I returned home (with notifactions on) and waited for it to check the location and turn wifi back on, but after two checks it still wouldn't recognize I was within 1000m of home. I deactivated and reactivated Woofi and as soon as I did that it immediately turned on wifi, even though the notification bar kept saying it was disabled.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is there any decent DLNA client out there? Preferably something without a proprietary server or that will work with mediatomb.

I've found lots of apps that claim to be DLNA compliant but none are working.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I did my wipe and reflash, still experiencing the issue. I'll go ahead and try to get ahold of the developer to make them aware of the issue, but for the meantime, I need a functioning alarm to get up for work so I'll install Alarm Clock Xtreme.

hotsauce posted:

Switched to Alarm Clock Extreme and prefer it over Gentle Alarm. Progressively harder math in the morning wakes my lazy rear end up for sure!

Question: can you set up Alarm Clock Xtreme so it'll play a pre-alarm? Preferably only with vibration as that was particularly one feature I liked about Gentle Alarm.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

air- posted:

I did my wipe and reflash, still experiencing the issue. I'll go ahead and try to get ahold of the developer to make them aware of the issue, but for the meantime, I need a functioning alarm to get up for work so I'll install Alarm Clock Xtreme.

Question: can you set up Alarm Clock Xtreme so it'll play a pre-alarm? Preferably only with vibration as that was particularly one feature I liked about Gentle Alarm.

Just swapped myself, and I'd assume it'd be as simple as creatine a second alarm 30 minutes before the main one, which would only vibrate and would auto dismiss after x minutes.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mantle posted:

Is there any decent DLNA client out there? Preferably something without a proprietary server or that will work with mediatomb.

Have you tried Skifta? I've used it before with good results.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Mantle posted:

I'm using both Skifta and BubbleUPnP as DLNA controllers to send music from Mediatomb on my NAS to either my TV or stereo, both of which are DLNA renderers.
I can also send use it to send video from either Mediatomb or Serviio to the TV.

I believe both can also be used as local renderer, but you'll need players installed for media that isn't directly supported in Android.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In PowerAmp, is it possible to play a playlist in a random order, repeatedly? It seems like I fought it enough just trying to get it to shuffle only one playlist, and from what I've seen, there isn't a random option.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

ManMythLegend posted:

In related news, it started acting up on me again. I returned home (with notifactions on) and waited for it to check the location and turn wifi back on, but after two checks it still wouldn't recognize I was within 1000m of home. I deactivated and reactivated Woofi and as soon as I did that it immediately turned on wifi, even though the notification bar kept saying it was disabled.

Are you using the beta or the market version? I was having that exact issue with the market version but the latest beta (1.8_3) hasn't been giving me this issue.

I know my phone (this issue) was a pretty big pain in the rear end for Thermopyle.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

Are you using the beta or the market version? I was having that exact issue with the market version but the latest beta (1.8_3) hasn't been giving me this issue.

I know my phone (this issue) was a pretty big pain in the rear end for Thermopyle.

I just changed to the beta a few days ago.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

hooah posted:

In PowerAmp, is it possible to play a playlist in a random order, repeatedly? It seems like I fought it enough just trying to get it to shuffle only one playlist, and from what I've seen, there isn't a random option.

I don't think so. If you do shuffle-songs or shuffle-songs/lists with repeat-list, it'll run through your playlist in random order, then repeat it in that same order, which I don't think you want. You'd have to manually switch back and forth between lists to make it generate a new random order.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

inset posted:

Is there a (free/cheap) keyboard replacement that will let me have arrow keys on the keyboard?

e: perhaps swype can do it, will check it out.

It can:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/07/02/tip-how-to-get-arrowcursor-keys-on-the-swype-keyboard/

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Fart of Presto posted:

I'm using both Skifta and BubbleUPnP as DLNA controllers to send music from Mediatomb on my NAS to either my TV or stereo, both of which are DLNA renderers.
I can also send use it to send video from either Mediatomb or Serviio to the TV.

I believe both can also be used as local renderer, but you'll need players installed for media that isn't directly supported in Android.

Thanks for the leads. I was able to get most files working, but I'm still having trouble with some MKVs. Is it the container format that is the problem or the codec?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Can anyone recommend a PDF reader app that allows you to swipe from page to page in portrait view, rather than just scrolling down and up like the Adobe Reader app does (UK WiFi only Xoom running 3.2)?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

ezPDF Reader is what I use on my Xoom.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ManMythLegend posted:

What do you mean "after two checks"? It should only be checking because it thinks your near home...

Do you mean it checks but doesn't connect to WiFi? If so, try increasing the WiFi timeout in the app preferences. By default it is 10 seconds but some phones/routers take longer than that to establish a connection. After 10 seconds woofi assumes you're near your home but not near enough to connect to your access point, so it turns WiFi off for the "Check interval" amount of time before it checks again.

Lobster Maneuver
Jan 4, 2005

All heart and all thumbs

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Can anyone recommend a PDF reader app that allows you to swipe from page to page in portrait view, rather than just scrolling down and up like the Adobe Reader app does (UK WiFi only Xoom running 3.2)?

If you tap on the screen and go into the menu, one of the options is for view modes. Single Page view mode lets you swipe sideways.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'd really like to use Emit, but I've never gotten it to work. Running it on a MacBook Pro with 10.7.2, and neither my Touchpad or my Atrix (both on CM7) will stream video. It just fails and says "Something went wrong!"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

I'd really like to use Emit, but I've never gotten it to work. Running it on a MacBook Pro with 10.7.2, and neither my Touchpad or my Atrix (both on CM7) will stream video. It just fails and says "Something went wrong!"
Just a guess here as I've never used Emit but I'm willing to wager it's because of Lion's janky SMB implementation. I never could get it to work properly with my phones (although some registry tweaks got it to work with Windows 7) and finally I ripped out Lion's SMB and installed Samba3. After that I've no problems connecting to my MBA.

I'm 99% sure this is the problem you're facing.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

What was the name of the app people were using to make their galaxy nexuses ring louder? I see a couple on the market, but I want to make sure I'm using the popular one in case I have trouble and need help.

Also, is there any chance an app like that could damage my speaker?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wagonburner posted:

I use mainly go keyboard it has arrows on an editing keyboard layout you can switch to, but the coolest implementation of arrows has got to be the gingerbread keyboard from the market. you long-push space to drag the arrows on or off screen.

I use gingerbread keyboard. It's simple and not frilly but it works really well, and there's enough options to change the keyboard to your liking. I don't even know if the auto correct is special but I just mash my fingers into the keyboard at light speed and it comes out correct.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

What do you mean "after two checks"? It should only be checking because it thinks your near home...

Two location checks. The app just won't recognize that it's within 1000m of my home. For some reason woofi is just getting terrible location data. Right now it's telling me it has an error of 2.6km when Google maps is saying its 10m and my GPS status app is saying it's only 5m.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Has anyone else had trouble with ezPDF not working on their HP Touchpad? I've been using qPDF instead, but I hear that ezPDF is way better.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ManMythLegend posted:

Two location checks. The app just won't recognize that it's within 1000m of my home. For some reason woofi is just getting terrible location data. Right now it's telling me it has an error of 2.6km when Google maps is saying its 10m and my GPS status app is saying it's only 5m.

Well that's lovely.

If you're running the beta, you can try turning on the log in the preferences. This will log to woofi.log in the SD card root. If you send it to me after having your problems (app_woofi@contriving.net), I'll see if I can't figure something out.

Be aware that the log will contain your location data, so I'll be able to leave my wife and child and pick up a life of stalking you.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alucard posted:

Has anyone else had trouble with ezPDF not working on their HP Touchpad? I've been using qPDF instead, but I hear that ezPDF is way better.

I'm using ezPDF. What isn't working? The only issue I've had is trying to change the opacity of a highlight made it hang indefinitely. Otherwise, I've never had any performance/lag issues if I didn't annotate or highlight or something like that.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Ciabatta posted:

I'm using ezPDF. What isn't working? The only issue I've had is trying to change the opacity of a highlight made it hang indefinitely. Otherwise, I've never had any performance/lag issues if I didn't annotate or highlight or something like that.

I bought it, tried to start it, and nothing showed up after 5 minutes, just a blank screen. I doubt the startup time is that ridiculous.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Just a guess here as I've never used Emit but I'm willing to wager it's because of Lion's janky SMB implementation. I never could get it to work properly with my phones (although some registry tweaks got it to work with Windows 7) and finally I ripped out Lion's SMB and installed Samba3. After that I've no problems connecting to my MBA.

I'm 99% sure this is the problem you're facing.

Huh, I never thought about that. I've got samba installed, how did you go about stripping out Lion's smb stuff?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Snips posted:

I use gingerbread keyboard. It's simple and not frilly but it works really well, and there's enough options to change the keyboard to your liking. I don't even know if the auto correct is special but I just mash my fingers into the keyboard at light speed and it comes out correct.

If you like GB keyboard, you should check out the ICS keyboard, it's even better.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

If you like GB keyboard, you should check out the ICS keyboard, it's even better.

I have a Note (I only mention because of the screen size) and the A.I. Type keyboard with the WP7 skin and sounds is great. If you have a Note, you ought to check it out...I know there is a sea of aftermarket keyboards, but this one is pretty slick. The keys are slightly larger and it fits my fingers much better than any other keyboard (looking at you SwiftkeyX) in terms of fast accurate typing.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Manky posted:

Try this - On your device in Emit, Settings - Uncheck HTTP live streaming.

I remember the developer saying something like that a few months ago and that's how it started working for me.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cojawfee posted:

This is what I saw on the market. You have to provide your own ROM, so maybe you can find a friend who has one and extract a ROM.
I dug up my old TI-83+ from high school to try this. It's amazing. The off button on the calculator closes the app! I don't know why, but I love that little feature. Now if only I could find the manual to the calculator, because I've forgotten how most of its functions work.

edit:

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 15, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Manky posted:

I always get the same thing, but it's running off of my Win7 desktop. :iiam:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Zombie Rasputin posted:

Also, is there any chance an app like that could damage my speaker?

Sure, I blew the speakers on my last phone that way. If you hear clipping, it's probably damagingly high.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

Huh, I never thought about that. I've got samba installed, how did you go about stripping out Lion's smb stuff?
This whole thread was the most complete resource I found when I did it, with this post in particular showing how to disable the Apple SMB daemon and have the Samba3 daemon launch instead.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Boywunda posted:

Try this - On your device in Emit, Settings - Uncheck HTTP live streaming.

I remember the developer saying something like that a few months ago and that's how it started working for me.

This seems to make my Atrix much happier! No more mysterious errors. I just have to figure out why it's squeezing video into a forced 4:3 resolution...

LastInLine posted:

This whole thread was the most complete resource I found when I did it, with this post in particular showing how to disable the Apple SMB daemon and have the Samba3 daemon launch instead.

Thanks for the links! It doesn't seem to have made a difference in streaming, sadly, but it'll probably be a tweak I'll be happy for down the road.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Does anyone here use a timetracker? I'm currently using Grindstone 2 for Windows but I'm curious if there's anything similar for Android.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Is there an accepted 'best app' for shuffling/randomizing your ringtones? I used both ShuffleTone and one other (the name escapes me), but each of them stopped working and was never updated to an extent that they started again (my notifications were being set to random media files stored on my phone, which I guess is as randomized as it gets). I'm just wondering if the free ones are best, or if there's one that is worth paying for. Droid X2, not rooted, in case there's compatibility issues involved with this sort of thing.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Not certain if this should go here or in the games thread, but is there anything like Smule Magic Piano for Android?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Rubicon posted:

Not certain if this should go here or in the games thread, but is there anything like Smule Magic Piano for Android?

That's pretty cool. I've not seen anything exactly like it however. Plenty of straight up pianos and a few guiter-hero esque games but none that really combine the two styles into a play your own song game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Is there a way to set a custom notification for an entire group rather than just individual contracts using Lightflow?

This is the one thing I can't figure out so far...

• Locked thread