Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

TrixRabbi posted:

Dear god...I have almost 200 movies in my instant queue. Every time I start to make progress I find 10 more things to add. It's like the Hydra, cut off one head two more grow in it's place.

Anyway, just found out Carl Sagan's Cosmos series from the 80s is on instant :eng101:.

It's a great watch. Sagan could explain how paint dries or grass grows and I would be enthralled.

If you really want a nice time sink, I noticed almost all of Ken Burn's documentaries are on instant now. I've been working my way through Jazz and am really impressed. The Civil War is his first doc and absolutely brilliant. Baseball, WW II, The West, and The National Parks are great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

mod sassinator posted:

It's a great watch. Sagan could explain how paint dries or grass grows and I would be enthralled.

If you really want a nice time sink, I noticed almost all of Ken Burn's documentaries are on instant now. I've been working my way through Jazz and am really impressed. The Civil War is his first doc and absolutely brilliant. Baseball, WW II, The West, and The National Parks are great too.

The Civil War is overwhelmingly good. It's genuinely exhausting, in the best way. If you're American, it's absolutely essential viewing. And if you're not, it's drat good TV and drat good history anyway.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

penismightier posted:

The Civil War is overwhelmingly good. It's genuinely exhausting, in the best way. If you're American, it's absolutely essential viewing. And if you're not, it's drat good TV and drat good history anyway.

If nothing else, watch it for the great interviews with Ed Bearss, an incredible storyteller and Civil War historian. It's a shame there isn't more stuff about him on youtube, but this is a good look at how he tells the stories of famous battles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdhIxttuKto

I really want to go on a tour of Gettysburg or other battlefields with him.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

mod sassinator posted:

If nothing else, watch it for the great interviews with Ed Bearss, an incredible storyteller and Civil War historian. It's a shame there isn't more stuff about him on youtube, but this is a good look at how he tells the stories of famous battles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdhIxttuKto

I really want to go on a tour of Gettysburg or other battlefields with him.

Don't forget Shelby "The Fuckmaster" Foote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgFbbTQL13g

My GOD what an accent!

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

Dear god...I have almost 200 movies in my instant queue. Every time I start to make progress I find 10 more things to add. It's like the Hydra, cut off one head two more grow in it's place.

Anyway, just found out Carl Sagan's Cosmos series from the 80s is on instant :eng101:.

I could kiss you right about now.

mod sassinator posted:

The War is one of my favorite WWII docs ever. Baseball was really good as well, been meaning to watch Civil War.

Also, it's not on there yet, but when it is you should check out Prohibition. It's not as long as Burns' other films, but it's still fantastic.

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, guys, I don't know why, but apparently Netflix thinks I'm an elderly gay black man who also happens to be a Neo-nazi, since it just recommended that I watch Triumph of Will. Now, obviously, as a student of film, this movie is incredibly important and shouldn't be ignored just because it's a Nazi propaghanda film. But it just sits kind of weird in-between Frasier and 30 Rock.

Netflix is showing me Triumph of Will between 30 Rock and Party Down. You're not alone.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's enough to make you think that the people trained apes in charge of Netflix's recommendation system believe that "Triumph of the Will" is a quirky sitcom about Adolph Hitler's hapless twin brother Will Hitler.

Oh, those Hitlers!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I finally got around to watching Best Worst Movie last night and while it was a good enough documentary, it was way more depressing to me than it probably should have been.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

penismightier posted:

Don't forget Shelby "The Fuckmaster" Foote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgFbbTQL13g

My GOD what an accent!

The sections of The Civil War when Foote is speaking are the best part. I would pay any price for an audiobook version of his narrative where he read the book himself.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I finally watched Pitch Black and enjoyed it, it was much better than I expected and particularly much smarter than I expected (still a 'dumb' movie, but hey). It's not great-great, it has a 7.0 on imdb which I feel is accurate. I don't know if everyone would like it, but I think any goons who haven't seen it would get some enjoyment out of it.

Not sure how this flew under my radar for 12 years, so to speak, as I was a dead smack in target demographic when it came out.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Bown posted:

So Netflix came out in the UK yesterday and there seems to be a pretty drat decent amount of streaming stuff - not amazing, and nowhere near as good as the US selection, but enough to keep me happy for a while. Anyone got any film recommendations they know are on the UK service?

Do what I and seemingly everyone else did, get unblock-us and access the US site. If your so inclined.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Even if you don't normally have any interest in the subject, Elizabeth R is a pretty good mini-series about Elizabeth I.

Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.

Piano posted:

I finally watched Pitch Black and enjoyed it, it was much better than I expected and particularly much smarter than I expected (still a 'dumb' movie, but hey). It's not great-great, it has a 7.0 on imdb which I feel is accurate. I don't know if everyone would like it, but I think any goons who haven't seen it would get some enjoyment out of it.

Not sure how this flew under my radar for 12 years, so to speak, as I was a dead smack in target demographic when it came out.

Now if you're into games at all, track down a copy of Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and play the poo poo out of it. Just don't watch the follow-up film.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Piano posted:

Pitch Black

You ought to check out Ghosts of Mars. Similar sort of movie, by John Carpenter, with Ice Cube, Jason Statham, etc. It came out not too far apart from Pitch Black - I have to admit I haven't watched it since it was a new release at Blockbuster, but I just added it to my queue.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just watched Gangster No. 1 a while ago. It's not a typical gangster film, but it feels like something straight out of the 1960's (when most of the film takes place). It's sort of like Scarface if you take all the pretensions of glamour and prestige out, and make the "protagonist" into the straight-up villain of the movie. Not bad, but not quite what I was expecting... has a kind of Neil Jordan-ish vibe to it.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Gangster_No._1/60024748?trkid=496624

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
if looks could kill is a great movie. Its a witty movie where high school studen gets mistaken for a spy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Emron posted:

I finally got around to watching Best Worst Movie last night and while it was a good enough documentary, it was way more depressing to me than it probably should have been.

I watched it last night myself and I have to agree. I wanted to revel in the craziness but it was so wrapped up in depressing people that I couldn't. There's nothing wrong with the documentary; it's just really different than what I expected.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I watched it last night myself and I have to agree. I wanted to revel in the craziness but it was so wrapped up in depressing people that I couldn't. There's nothing wrong with the documentary; it's just really different than what I expected.

The happy-go-lucky dentist guy's transition from genuine, earnest (if a bit annoying) guy to...whatever it was he was at the end made me pretty sad.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION is on streaming. If you haven't seen it, it's stellar. One of Will Smith's best roles and it's just so fabulously written that it's engaging throughout and I could watch it forever.

It also has a very young Heather Graham, and J. J. Abrams acting as a spoiled son.

Emron posted:

The happy-go-lucky dentist guy's transition from genuine, earnest (if a bit annoying) guy to...whatever it was he was at the end made me pretty sad.

George Hardy is very happy with his life, though.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

NeuroticErotica posted:

George Hardy is very happy with his life, though.

He is, but he really struck me as getting a taste of what he REALLY wanted in life with the fans and the autographs, then trying to cling to it while making it seem like he didn't care too much. That may have just been the selection of shots they used on him, but things like him saying "And then I say this!!! And...you know...it becomes a famous line in the movie" to an obviously uninterested person made me squirm really bad.

edit: I also couldn't help but think that his "4 beautiful women" he works with may have been part of the reason he has an ex wife.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
One of the small little details that I love in Best Worst Movie is that George Hardy has fabulous teeth.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I read the description for Best Worst Movie and I immediately thought about American Movie: The Making of Northwestern. Great documentary, but it's DVD only on Netflix.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

The actress who played the mom was just... I don't even know how to describe it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Emron posted:

He is, but he really struck me as getting a taste of what he REALLY wanted in life with the fans and the autographs, then trying to cling to it while making it seem like he didn't care too much. That may have just been the selection of shots they used on him, but things like him saying "And then I say this!!! And...you know...it becomes a famous line in the movie" to an obviously uninterested person made me squirm really bad.

edit: I also couldn't help but think that his "4 beautiful women" he works with may have been part of the reason he has an ex wife.

I felt triumph and relief when he decided to turn his back on all that bullshit and became a happy dentist again. It's great when he describes how depressing it is to meet (I think) Robert Englund or the guy who plays Jason or some other b-movie convention "success." Hardy says soemething like "it was like all the guy could talk about was those movies," and then he gets a look on his face like he understands he's a normal man with a life and a career and all of the other people at the convention are the loving losers.

It's like being a failure at being a horror movie convention guest proves what a winner he actually is.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

I felt triumph and relief when he decided to turn his back on all that bullshit and became a happy dentist again. It's great when he describes how depressing it is to meet (I think) Robert Englund or the guy who plays Jason or some other b-movie convention "success." Hardy says soemething like "it was like all the guy could talk about was those movies," and then he gets a look on his face like he understands he's a normal man with a life and a career and all of the other people at the convention are the loving losers.

It's like being a failure at being a horror movie convention guest proves what a winner he actually is.

I did find his absolute, no-attempt-to-hide-it revulsion at the horror convention adorable.

edit: But the way I took much of his reaction at the horror festival was a growing discomfort on his part for feeling awkward and not being a star, so he kept looking for reasons for why it was an awful place. Kind of like a "you can't fire me, I quit" sort of reaction. I mean, he even got into criticizing peoples' dental health there. It didn't strike me as realizing he's above that life so much as it was retroactively justifying to himself why he didn't need to be there.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mistaya posted:

Dexter

One of our friends recommended netflix, and we went for it because they said Dexter was part of the package.
Nope, not there.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Fog Tripper posted:

One of our friends recommended netflix, and we went for it because they said Dexter was part of the package.
Nope, not there.

It was there until sometime in the middle or end of last year. It is gone now though.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I loved Senna. Are there any more good racing documentaries up for streaming?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

The Capn posted:

Eric Bana's car documentary Love The Beast is great. It's not really about racing but definitely about cars.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The Capn posted:

Truth in 24 is a decent documentary about contemporary LeMans racing, focusing on the audi/peugeot prototype cars. It's nowhere near as romantic/emotional as Senna whatsoever, but it's pretty interesting.

It's not on netflex but the whole thing in on youtube (not in dumb 10 minute blocks, the whole thing is on there legitimately/free, in good quality, etc)

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Mother is an excellent Korean Movie. Last I checked there were two other movies by the same director, both excellent as well.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

The Capn posted:

Dust To Glory is an excellent documentary on the Baja 1000 and is a must watch if you're into rallying or offroad racing.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Kubrick's The Killing is going away on the 16th. It's a great heist movie featuring a fairly good-sized ensemble cast of main players who are fleshed out pretty well in the time allotted, though naturally with a focus on two or three in particular. Watch it!

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Emron posted:

Robert Ormsby (Grandpa Seth), made me depressed as hell when he talked about how pointless and wasted his life has been. It's amazing how they made something so hilarious as Troll 2 into something so sad. Don't get me wrong though - it's worth a watch.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of Best Worst Movie, did anyone else notice that the actress who played the witch in the movie never showed up? She wasn't even mentioned, it's odd, given that she had a pretty major role in the film.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Yeah, there's a lot of folks (like her and the evil preacher guy) that you see in the group panels and poo poo but who aren't ever interviewed. I guess they weren't crazy/interesting enough.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Popular Human posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of folks (like her and the evil preacher guy) that you see in the group panels and poo poo but who aren't ever interviewed. I guess they weren't crazy/interesting enough.

Most likely they were interviewed but their segments were cut for that reason.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Maremidon posted:

Speaking of Best Worst Movie, did anyone else notice that the actress who played the witch in the movie never showed up? She wasn't even mentioned, it's odd, given that she had a pretty major role in the film.

Almost positive they have an interview with her in the extras

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

I have no earthly idea how this movie slipped by me for so long but thanks random Netflix suggestions for:

This movie depicts the events that took place during the Nanking Massacre in 1937. The film is presented in black and white but the cinematography has some of the most evocative images that I've seen on screen in a long time. For a laymans comparison, it's like a Chinese Schindlers List. I wholeheartedly recommend that you add this movie to your queue and watch it.

City of Life and Death

God I wish Grave of the Fireflies was on instant so I could beg that you watch that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Almost positive they have an interview with her in the extras

There's an interview with her in the extras that's pretty long, and it shows her to be a really interesting person with a lot of unique life experiences. But they're not really horrifying and she's not at all delusional so they don't fit in with segments like Draco Floyd or the grandpa.

• Locked thread