Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

It's an odd tattoo, unless the guy is his relative or something, but the work on it is amazing.
If I had that on my leg, I'd shave my whole leg where the tattoo is except for where his beard is.

Having a beard that looked like leg hairs would justify looking that pissed-off all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Mustang posted:

I wonder what Sherman would have thought if somebody told him in 100 years somebody will tattoo his face on their leg.

"What the gently caress's a tattoo!" - Bill T Sherman

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
No, I'm guessing that he would known about tattoos. It's not like sailors haven't been getting them for centuries.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Yeah, poo poo's in Leviticus man. It was known.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Sherman is generally understood to have been super bummed about the brutal poo poo he had to do and the war in general, to the point of profound, suicidal depression. Which of course only makes him an even more heroic character, but he shouldn't really be imagined as a surly warmonger. And that's coming from a southern :fella:

Pharmaskittle has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Jan 10, 2012

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I knew there was a thread to post this in:

Twiggy Johnson
Jun 10, 2011
I think you wanted the Funny Pictures Thread. :downsrim:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Kinda sucks that the 'chutes go with the body...

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

RexSS345 posted:

You can guarantee that Funny Car v2 had the note "ATTACH THE CHUTE TO THE FRAME GODDAMNIT" scrawled on top.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

RexSS345 posted:

So how the hell did it stop? Was there enough track?

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Heres Hank posted:

This is the best term I've ever heard applied to someone who was born in New Jersey and went to college in SoCal.

"Let it be known that if a farmer wishes to burn his cotton, his house, his family, and himself, he may do so. But not his corn. We want that." -William Tecumseh Sherman

I'm not even an American and I love Sherman. :allears: More for his writings then his acts though, he has kind of a weird reputation because sure, he burned a lot of poo poo down in Georgia but he didn't actually kill anyone doing that. I think that's the only infrastructure warfare campaign in the world where nobody died. That's of course kind of badass in itself.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Well, never mind! Commando missions are much more fun than girls anyway!

dinozombiesgoRARR posted:

I see your single guy strapped to the side of an Apache, and raise you two guys strapped to an Apache and another guy hanging on for dear life (because the pilots only had two rescue straps), who are on their way to land in a Taliban-held fort and rescue another guy.

In other news, the Royal Marines are currently considering changing their motto from "Per Mare, Per Terram" to "Hold my beer and watch this."

Baytor has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Jan 11, 2012

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm not even an American and I love Sherman. :allears: More for his writings then his acts though, he has kind of a weird reputation because sure, he burned a lot of poo poo down in Georgia but he didn't actually kill anyone doing that. I think that's the only infrastructure warfare campaign in the world where nobody died. That's of course kind of badass in itself.

While he was superintendent at LSU he said this to another professor upon hearing about South Carolinas secession:

William Tecumseh Sherman posted:

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it... Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth—right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

Called the outcome of the Civil War before it even really started. I'm a Southerner and he's one of my favorite American generals along with U.S. Grant. Only a fool would really wish the South had won the war. Both Grant and Sherman helped hold the United States together and it's a shame the reputation they get in the South simply because we were on the losing end.

Twiggy Johnson
Jun 10, 2011

Mustang posted:

Both Grant and Sherman helped hold the United States together and it's a shame the reputation they get in the South simply because we were on the losing end.

Dude had some swagger, too. Although I'm biased to Grant simply because I was (indirectly) named in his honor.

Yancakes
Sep 5, 2004

Twiggy Johnson posted:

Dude had some swagger, too. Although I'm biased to Grant simply because I was (indirectly) named in his honor.

Is your name Ulysses?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Yancakes posted:

Is your name Ulysses?

His name is simply S.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I'm a direct decedent of Robert E. Lee (as my grandmother likes to remind me), but Ulysses was an amazing guy, Sherman as well. Can't go looking at quotes apparently by them without it being along the lines of "Peace > war". Can't fault that. And they kicked a bunch of rear end too, which is also awesome.
(Also the north won shut up grandma)

:patriot:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

What is it with Americans and claiming you're a direct descendent of some famous Civil War general? I swear to god, every time it comes up on this forum, you have at least half a dozen guys claiming their grandpappy's grandpappy was Lee or Grant. Did these guys actually fight during the war or did they spend their time loving their way across America? I guess it would explain something about America, what with you all being related.

Anyway, I'm a direct descendent of Sherman and Lee and I'm also 1/8 Cherokee.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

R. Mute posted:

What is it with Americans and claiming you're a direct descendent of some famous Civil War general? I swear to god, every time it comes up on this forum, you have at least half a dozen guys claiming their grandpappy's grandpappy was Lee or Grant. Did these guys actually fight during the war or did they spend their time loving their way across America? I guess it would explain something about America, what with you all being related.

Haha yeah, pretindians are way more irritating and prevalent (here in the US) than any other kind of amateur genealogists.

ed: okay "Irish" Americans are maybe worse

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

R. Mute posted:

What? You never heard of Sherman's gently caress to the sea?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

R. Mute posted:

Haha, my grandmother traced it back and all that and I never really disputed the claim, so.
Not like I care, I'd rather be related to someone like Tesla or Franklin, but hey.

Also I'm totally Irish check out my sweet horribly faked accent

Twiggy Johnson
Jun 10, 2011

Yancakes posted:

Is your name Ulysses?

Thank Jeebus no; got away with just got the "Grant" part. It's all this guy's fault. Or I guess his Dad's fault for naming his kid after his general. Either way, I'm totally not a direct descent of a Civil War general. :smug:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Bear Rape posted:

Haha, my grandmother traced it back and all that and I never really disputed the claim, so.
Not like I care, I'd rather be related to someone like Tesla or Franklin, but hey.

Also I'm totally Irish check out my sweet horribly faked accent
I guess it makes sense. If you're going to go through the trouble to trace your family tree back a couple of centuries, you're not going to take 'Yup, farmers all the way back' for an answer. Here in Europe, people are mostly related to Charlemagne or some obscure nobleman from the Middle Ages.

But hey, I don't wanna call your grandmother a dirty liar or anything. Maybe she was just loving with your mind, as all great grandparents do. Or maybe you are Lee's great-grandson. :iiam:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

R. Mute posted:

I guess it makes sense. If you're going to go through the trouble to trace your family tree back a couple of centuries, you're not going to take 'Yup, farmers all the way back' for an answer.
My family, back in the 80s, had a professional trace our family back as far as they could.

Farmers, all the way back to the late 1700s.

Did find out some great, great, great Aunt was married to John Muir.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

R. Mute posted:

I guess it makes sense. If you're going to go through the trouble to trace your family tree back a couple of centuries, you're not going to take 'Yup, farmers all the way back' for an answer. Here in Europe, people are mostly related to Charlemagne or some obscure nobleman from the Middle Ages.

Hell, I tried tracing my family tree as far back as I could, but on my father's side the records just stop somewhere in the 1800s.

I asked my dad and apparently, there was an "incident" with a maid and a local semi-obscure nobleman :ninja:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I've always thought some of Barlowe's stuff was bad-rear end...if Hell is your kind of gig.

Sargantas & The Behemoths:

A Fallen Angel contemplates a feather from its former wings:

The Decurion General:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

R. Mute posted:

But hey, I don't wanna call your grandmother a dirty liar or anything. Maybe she was just loving with your mind, as all great grandparents do. Or maybe you are Lee's great-grandson. :iiam:

I do know that my great grandmother was married to a Lee, but I'm not sure if that's Robert E. Lee or just...."Lee".
I do know that somehow I qualify for this, though: http://www.dar.org/ which I'm pretty sure is just a bunch of :shlick:ing in a circle or "Who are you related to?" quickly followed by, "Well I'm related to..."

Anyway here is a pretty badass painting of Lee.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
My aunt loves geneaology, she came running to me with some papers the other day telling me I'm directly descended from the father of Snorri Sturluson. Apparently Snorri's brother was my great^20 grandfather. I don't know how legit it is, I mean technically half the country is related to the guy given enough wiggle room, but my great grandmother was icelandic so I guess there's a chance. Either way, I thought it was pretty cool seeing as I've got a raging nerd boner for our country's viking history.

This guy basically wrote the loving viking bible, the pride and joy of my bookshelf (well that and the saga of kings). That's pretty badass in itself but check out how he died:

Wikipedia posted:

The reign of Haakon IV (Hákon Hákonarson), King of Norway, was troubled by civil war relating to questions of succession and was at various times divided into quasi-independent regions under contenders. There were always plots against the king and questions of loyalty; nevertheless, he managed to build up the Norwegian state from what it had been.

When Snorri arrived in Norway for the second time it was clear to the king that he was no longer a reliable agent. The conflict between Haakon and Skúli was beginning to escalate into civil war. Snorri stayed with the jarl and his son and the jarl made him a jarl hoping to command his allegiance. In August 1238, Sigvat and four of his sons (Sturla, Markús, Kolbeinn, and Ţórđur krókur, the latter two being executed after the battle), were killed at the Battle of Örlygsstađir in Iceland against Gissur Ţorvaldsson and Kolbein the Young, chiefs whom they had provoked. Snorri, Órćkja, and Ţorleifur requested permission to return home. As the king now could not predict Snorri's behavior, permission was denied. He was explicitly ordered to remain in Norway on the basis of his honorary rank. Skúli on the other hand gave permission and helped them book passage.

Snorri must have had his own ideas about the king's position and the validity of his orders, but at any rate he chose to disobey them, returning to Iceland in 1239. The king was distracted by the necessity to confront Skúli, who declared himself king in 1239. He was defeated militarily and killed in 1240. Meanwhile Snorri resumed his chieftainship and made a bid to crush Gissur by prosecuting him in court for the deaths of Sigvat and Sturla. A meeting of the Althing was arranged for the summer of 1241 but Gissur and Kolbein arrived with several hundred men. Snorri and 120 men formed around a church. Gissur chose to pay fines rather than to attack.
Meanwhile, in 1240, after the jarl's defeat, but before his removal from the scene, Haakon sent two agents to Gissur bearing a secret letter with orders to kill or capture Snorri. Gissur was being invited now to join the unionist movement, which he could accept or refuse, just as he pleased. His initial bid to take Snorri at the Althing failed.

Hallveig died of natural causes. When the family bickered over the inheritance, Hallveig's sons, Klaeing and Orm, asked assistance from their uncle Gissur. Holding a meeting with them and Kolbein the Younger, Gissur brought out the letter. Orm refused. Shortly after, Snorri received a letter in cipher runes warning him of the plot, but he could not understand them.

Gissur led seventy men on a daring raid to his house, achieving complete surprise. Snorri Sturluson was assassinated in his house at Reykholt in autumn of 1241. It is not clear that he was ever given a chance to avail himself of the "capture" option. He fled to the cellar. There Símon knútur asked Arni the Bitter to strike him. Then Snorri said: Eigi skal höggva!—"Do not strike!" Símon answered: "Högg ţú!" — "You strike now!" Snorri replied: Eigi skal höggva!—"Do not strike!" and these were his last words

tl;dr
His brother was killed along with his sons by a viking chief, so Snorri gathered his posse and rolled up to said chief and said "Yo Gissur, Gimme all your poo poo or we're gonna gently caress you up". Gissur was a little bitch so he paid up, before calling assassins-r-us to go all Kill Bill on Snorri in return. Símon Knútur, Gissur and his BFF Arni the Bitter marched up to Snorri with 70 dudes behind them.

Simon: "Arni, stab him bro"
Snorri: "Don't stab me bro"
Simon: "Stab him bro"
Snorri: "Don't stab me bro"
Arni: :ese:

Justice prevailed though, cause Arni got his when he was captured by Kolbein Dufgusson at Flugumýri.

Kolbein son of Dufgus (no really) posted:

Nobody remembers Snorri Sturluson, if you are to be spared.
:iceburn:

Nastyman has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Jan 13, 2012

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Wayne Barlowe stuff

That guy kicks so much rear end. I save all the pictures I can find of his when I come across them.

His novel isn't too bad either.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

MeinGott posted:

This one looks like it should be a magic card.

Phyrexian Harpy or something. 6/6 flyer trample, artifact creature for 6 black mana. Sacrifice 2 creatures when it comes into play.

Actually, they all look like they belong on magic cards.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

R. Mute posted:

I heard that statistically, and because of the tons of migrations humans have done over the years* everyone is a descendent of Ghenghis Khan.

*Also him pretty much conquering the entire known world and loving everything helped.

Conquest For Death
May 15, 2006

d3c0y2 posted:

I heard that statistically, and because of the tons of migrations humans have done over the years* everyone is a descendent of Ghenghis Khan.

*Also him pretty much conquering the entire known world and loving everything helped.

Not quite everyone, but still a hell of a lot of people.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/02/0214_030214_genghis.html

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I want to live in a universe where these films exist:

Farnk
Apr 7, 2003

Phanatic posted:

If it's got steel or ceramic plates in it it can protect you from 7.62x54, which hits way harder than those puny assault rifle rounds. Badass video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMjh_XbkiI

That's a round from a Dragunov at under 100 yards. It's insane what body armor can do.

Does anybody know what the dudes are chanting in that video?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Farnk posted:

"Allahu Akbar" (could be spelling wrong) which basically means "God is great." It's like the Arabic equivalent of "praise the lord" or whatever.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Farnk posted:

Pretty sure it's "Allahu Ackbar", which as far as I understand is them basically praying to Allah, thanking him that they hit their target.

It's pretty common when you see video from the side of an Arabic speaker when they do something they think is good to recite that over and over.

If someone who understands Islam better wants to explain more, that'd be great.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Literally it is the same as 'Praise the Lord', but it can differ vastly depending on the scenario/person. It can be a plead, a celebration, an expression of great joy or even the Arabic equivilant of 'gently caress Yeah!'.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Vidaeus posted:

Phyrexian Harpy or something. 6/6 flyer trample, artifact creature for 6 black mana. Sacrifice 2 creatures when it comes into play.

How can it be an artifact creature if it costs black mana? :colbert:

Edit: Fixed my typo, but all for naught...:negative:

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Jan 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

How can it be an artifact creature if it costs black man? :colbert:

Someone is behind in the times. :smug: