Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, definitely Quarantine.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Hey Kins, are you going to add more music in the Reelism expansion? I love me some Reelism, but it seems like there's a staggeringly small selection of music and it gets pretty repetitive after several playthroughs.
The two new maps will have a new playlist. Maybe I'll throw some more in the default one? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Zero Star posted:

I'm guessing Quarantine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wilYD4Fs8l8

That's the one, thanks.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

Yeah, definitely Quarantine.
The two new maps will have a new playlist. Maybe I'll throw some more in the default one? I dunno.

My only request is that you throw in something from Maximum Carnage like Streets of New York or Heated Battle. And if you could find a legitimate way to use the Flamethrower theme from Plok! I'd probably crap myself.

It's a bit off-topic I guess, but whatever.

FAKE EDIT: The Boss theme from Plok! would actually probably fit the existing boss music playlist pretty well.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Huh, weird, I must have remembered it incorrectly then. Still, at 8.8 MB, it took like 90 minutes to download...which, for my young self, might have felt like 8 hours. There WAS a demo on AOL that I remember taking all night to download. And then, later, the Unreal Tournament '99 mods that were each 4-6 hours. Basically, dial-up was a terrible, terrible thing.

I'm backing you up here. I firmly remember Quake's AOL demo being really large and stating that you shouldn't even try to download it if you were on their pay by the hour pricing.

Usually, AOL demos had a listing of how long it'd take to download on 33.6k. In the case of Quake, it just said "Just leave it on all night." or something like that.

AOL's shareware archive was a thing of beauty.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

My only request is that you throw in something from Maximum Carnage like Streets of New York or Heated Battle. And if you could find a legitimate way to use the Flamethrower theme from Plok! I'd probably crap myself.

It's a bit off-topic I guess, but whatever.

FAKE EDIT: The Boss theme from Plok! would actually probably fit the existing boss music playlist pretty well.
The new maps use Genesis music. :)

Anyway, to get back on topic, here's something cool that a friend of mine found at Magfest: Retroblazer, a new sprite based shooter using the Quake 1 engine. I haven't been able to really play it yet, but it looks promising!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

Anyway, to get back on topic, here's something cool that a friend of mine found at Magfest: Retroblazer, a new sprite based shooter using the Quake 1 engine. I haven't been able to really play it yet, but it looks promising!

The screenshots remind me of Megaman X. That's really not a bad thing for a retro FPS - nice to see something very colorful!

Edit: Thank you, Youtube! It even moves and sounds like Megaman X!

Reive
May 21, 2009

The Kins posted:

The new maps use Genesis music. :)

Just played a bit, I know it's an 'alpha' but my impressions are it's only really good at style and not substance.
Also no mouse look is a killer, doesn't have an option and console command/autoexec doesn't work.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Reive posted:

Also no mouse look is a killer

I think you might be missing the point. It's a Wolfenstein/Rise Of The Triad style shooter, like 8-Bit Killer. Only 16-Bit. And basically Megaman X: The FPS.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Dominic White posted:

I think you might be missing the point. It's a Wolfenstein/Rise Of The Triad style shooter, like 8-Bit Killer. Only 16-Bit. And basically Megaman X: The FPS.

No I get it, that's no excuse, especially when it puts enemies on platforms that you can't hit (no doom-esque auto target here).

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
RetroBlazer defaults to horizontal mouselook only, but the levels aren't very vertical to begin with so I fail to see the problem. Also, protip: remember to bind "impulse 100" (alt fire) and "impulse 15" (dash) to improve your gameplay experience.

PS: If you're talking about the guys in the shotgun area in level 2, they are intended to be avoided, they die as as soon as all the enemies on the ground are killed. I need to play further to see if there are more instances of this, but it's likely that the decision not to have vertical mouselook was an intentional one.

edit: level 5 has the same thing going on, and the all die the same way once the enemies on the ground are killed. It's definitely an intentional decision on the developer's part.

KamikazeJim fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 12, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Reive posted:

No I get it, that's no excuse, especially when it puts enemies on platforms that you can't hit (no doom-esque auto target here).

That only happens in a couple of rooms, and it's meant to be that way - the enemies up out of range automatically explode when you clear all ground enemies in the room.

Edit: Beaten, but yeah, I'm certain it's meant to be like that. There's no mouselook in the developers videos either. Also, yes - you should absolutely bind the altfire and dash buttons. Dashing lets you zoom around the levels in proper MMX fashion.

For an alpha build, this is really impressive. It could use a couple more enemy types introduced earlier, and perhaps a little more ammo, and perhaps a (slow) autofire on the default pistol so I don't have to mash LMB so much, but it's a really polished start.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 12, 2012

Reive
May 21, 2009

Does Brutal Doom usually give little errors?
I notice when loading it into skulltag that there's a bunch of little 'unknown's here and there, also the brutal title screen is missing, and when the second title comes up it says 0.12 instead of 0.14.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Reive posted:

Does Brutal Doom usually give little errors?
I notice when loading it into skulltag that there's a bunch of little 'unknown's here and there, also the brutal title screen is missing, and when the second title comes up it says 0.12 instead of 0.14.

That's definitely not normal--especially the part about saying 0.12 instead of 0.14. The little errors can happen, depending on what WAD or PK3 you're forcing Brutal Doom to play with, but generally isn't a game killer.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
What's the controller support on the sourceports for Doom? Does anyone here play these games with one?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ZDoom has excellent controller support. Use that

Reive
May 21, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's definitely not normal--especially the part about saying 0.12 instead of 0.14. The little errors can happen, depending on what WAD or PK3 you're forcing Brutal Doom to play with, but generally isn't a game killer.

I tired it on a fresh install of Skulltag with no other mods on a standard v1.9 Doom 2 iWad.

Also the help screen when you hit F1 says it's version 0.10. :confused:

Still seems to play fine, but these errors are getting on my OCD.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Reive posted:

I tired it on a fresh install of Skulltag with no other mods on a standard v1.9 Doom 2 iWad.

Also the help screen when you hit F1 says it's version 0.10. :confused:

Still seems to play fine, but these errors are getting on my OCD.
Come to think of it I'm running Brutal 0.14 on GZDoom and my splash screen is saying 0.12

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Every time I play brutal doom I get errors in the logs. Don't worry about it.

Ectohawk
Oct 27, 2010

I am having trouble instaling the Ultimate Quake Patch for the steam version of Quake. When I run quake, it has error messages saying it can't load the GLSL Shader or something like that. It sort of works, but most things just look white, and I can't see the levels.

The errors look like:
GLSL Shader GLSL/Default.GLSL flat color failed! Some features may not work properly.

Can anyone help? I mainly want to be able to listen to the proper soundtrack while playing the game in steam.

Here is a link to the steam forums, where I got the patch from:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756923

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Download the quake music and burn it to a cd. Then use darkplaces to play quake.

Okay I'm sorry I really didn't read quite well enough what you were doing, with darkplaces already.

Do you get the same error if you use the SDL darkplaces, and not standard?

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 14, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ectohawk posted:

I am having trouble instaling the Ultimate Quake Patch for the steam version of Quake. When I run quake, it has error messages saying it can't load the GLSL Shader or something like that. It sort of works, but most things just look white, and I can't see the levels.

The errors look like:
GLSL Shader GLSL/Default.GLSL flat color failed! Some features may not work properly.

Can anyone help? I mainly want to be able to listen to the proper soundtrack while playing the game in steam.

Here is a link to the steam forums, where I got the patch from:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756923

Do you have an ATI card? Make sure you install the latest drivers for it, DarkPlaces uses OpenGL and ATI has horrible support for the standard that's only now getting better.

And try this fix if that doesn't work:

http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=571

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can someone explain to me id's new engine naming conventions? If used to be:
- Doom
- Quake 1
- Quake 2
- Quake 3
- Quake 4 (or Doom 3)
- Rage (which essentially the 5th generation Quake engine)

Then why is the Doom engine considered id Tech 1 and the Rage engine considered id Tech 5? Is one of the Quake iterations just, not counted? It would make more sense to start the convention with the Quake 1 engine as id Tech 1, as that's the one they're still building on...

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Mak0rz posted:

Can someone explain to me id's new engine naming conventions?
According to Wikipedia, apparently the Doom and Quake engines are somehow both "id Tech 1". v:shobon:v

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

Can someone explain to me id's new engine naming conventions? If used to be:
- Doom
- Quake 1
- Quake 2
- Quake 3
- Quake 4 (or Doom 3)
- Rage (which essentially the 5th generation Quake engine)

Then why is the Doom engine considered id Tech 1 and the Rage engine considered id Tech 5? Is one of the Quake iterations just, not counted? It would make more sense to start the convention with the Quake 1 engine as id Tech 1, as that's the one they're still building on...

I always thought the Quake 2 engine was just a modified version of the first game's

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

They didn't start calling them "idTech" until the Doom 3/Quake 4 engine started getting licensed for other things, at which point, as I understand it, they decided to name it idTech and just make engine release numbers equal to Quake release numbers, so the Q4 engine becomes idTech 4 and so on down the line.

The fact that this leaves the Doom engine fighting with the Q1 engine for a name isn't a big deal because neither is used commercially anymore, and in any case everyone just calls the pre-IT4 engines "doom", "quake", "quake 2", and "quake 3".

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I usually call Quake 1 engine as IdTech 1 excluding Doom due to its lack of room-over-room. Doom always been "doom engine" for me :v:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

They didn't start calling them "idTech" until the Doom 3/Quake 4 engine started getting licensed for other things, at which point, as I understand it, they decided to name it idTech and just make engine release numbers equal to Quake release numbers, so the Q4 engine becomes idTech 4 and so on down the line.

The fact that this leaves the Doom engine fighting with the Q1 engine for a name isn't a big deal because neither is used commercially anymore, and in any case everyone just calls the pre-IT4 engines "doom", "quake", "quake 2", and "quake 3".

Most likely answer is probably that they consider the Doom engine to be IdTech 0.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
And Wolfenstein 3d is idTech -1.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I agree with that because Jesus Wolf3d was ugly even on its days, i never liked it.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Guillermus posted:

I agree with that because Jesus Wolf3d was ugly even on its days, i never liked it.

I have no nostalgia for that piece of trash, I was busy playing better games like Dune 2 and Ultima 7. I think I played a couple levels of the shareware episode and thought "The hell, is it just mazes?" before putting it away.

Then Doom came out in 1993 and I realized FPS games were rad.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vertigus posted:

Then Doom came out in 1993 and I realized FPS games were rad.

:hfive: This basically for me, Doom, then Heretic, then Doom 2, then Hexen, then Duke3D. 1993 to 1996 were the years that made me love FPS games.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

As a kid, Wolfenstein never really did it for me. I thought Catacomb Abyss was cooler. But yeah, Doom was on a whole different level of brilliance.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Doom never did it for me either, at least until I played it much more recently with Brutal Doom. Descent was the first FPS that I really enjoyed, and it wasn't until Quake 2 and Half-Life that I really got into them.

On the one hand, this meant I missed out on System Shock, Strike Force Centauri, Marathon, Pathways into Darkness, etc when they were first released...on the other hand, I got to play them years later with mouselook and no faffing about with CONFIG.SYS to make me ragequit before even starting the game, so it's probably a net win.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Dominic White posted:

As a kid, Wolfenstein never really did it for me. I thought Catacomb Abyss was cooler. But yeah, Doom was on a whole different level of brilliance.

This brings me back. I had a crappy old laptop in early high school that ran Windows 98. One time there was a lock-in at the school where you could go and spend the night there with a bunch of other people. I brought the laptop and a bunch of old games. I'll be damned if I didn't attract a crowd of onlookers while playing through Catacomb Abyss, graphics, sound and modern gameplay be damned.

There's just something inherently fun about those games despite them basically being 16 color mazes without sound.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Dominic White posted:

Weird.
I loved wolfenstein 3D. Even though I was more into monkey island 2 at that time.
For me it was the sounds and music that really did it. The echoes of the doors closing behind you...
When doom came out my pc couldn't handle it.
Had to wait until doom 2 came out and I could buy a new pc.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
For what it's worth, Eurogamer have today posted a retrospective of Doom and discusses the atmosphere it had. They even go so far as to say that it makes Wolfenstein look like a "cartoon shooting gallery".

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."
I've been re-visiting Doom with the help of Brutal Doom and it's been a blast. I've downloaded some WADs that I've never got to playing. I really enjoyed Scythe and so far Scythe 2 is great.

Is anyone else greatly annoyed by Alien Vendetta? It seems that most of it's "difficulty" is putting up with cheap shots like trapped power-ups and ambushes that you have little chance of surviving unless you know ahead of time they are there. I'm only up to map 10 or so, does it continue on like this?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I found a lot of the 'famous' megawads to be pretty horrible in brutal doom. Tons of enemies is lethal, and cheap traps are really lethal.

I generally try to play through most maps without saving, but a lot of the megawads I play are loaded with traps that kill you if you don't know them.

The interesting ones are the maps with cool combat setups and traps that give you a moment to respond to the situation.

Speaking of, I lean on the brutal regen mod to get through some of these maps in one shot, but it only regens to 21 - anyone know how to mod it so it regens up to 30 instead?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

SnipeBob posted:

I've been re-visiting Doom with the help of Brutal Doom and it's been a blast. I've downloaded some WADs that I've never got to playing. I really enjoyed Scythe and so far Scythe 2 is great.

Is anyone else greatly annoyed by Alien Vendetta? It seems that most of it's "difficulty" is putting up with cheap shots like trapped power-ups and ambushes that you have little chance of surviving unless you know ahead of time they are there. I'm only up to map 10 or so, does it continue on like this?

It doesn't get any easier, if that's what you're asking. I haven't played around much with Brutal Doom so I don't know a whole lot about it, but I've run through AV like ten times because it's one of my favorite megawads, and I never really felt like it was "unfair" or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Brutal Doom makes Alien Vendetta quite a lot harder. Zombie soldiers, sargeants and chingun guys are more accurate (but they aren't hitscan enemies either if im not wrong), imps leap to melee, and pinkies deal more damage than vanilla to say a few examples. Your weapondry is better overall too but i found that the improved enemies kinda outweight your weapons in AV unless you know the maps perfectly. Thats my experience of course, wich was better with Doom The Way Id Did or UAC Ultra wads.