Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HPL posted:

No, but realize that it's going to be a fat bag because it has to be deep enough to accommodate the gripped camera. Try something like the Think Tank Retrospective 10 or Crumpler 5 Million or 6 Million.

drat gripped cameras. You don't want to take the grip off once you put it on, but it really sucks finding a bag for it :(

I tried one of the Million bags, and it screams "camera bag" all day long, I was looking for something a little more inconspicuous. I would even be happy with something that would allow me to carry pen and paper + my camera with the attached lens.

Sevn fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.

Sevn posted:

drat gripped cameras. You don't want to take the grip off once you put it on, but it really sucks finding a bag for it :(

I tried one of the Million bags, and it screams "camera bag" all day long, I was looking for something a little more inconspicuous. I would even be happy with something that would allow me to carry pen and paper + my camera with the attached lens.

The Think Tank Retrospective series is pretty low-key, it doesn't really scream "camera bag" but like HPL says, its going to be a little fat. I have the retrospective 10 which should be able to fit all the stuff you need, I don't have a grip for my D7000 but I've fit my D5000, Tamron 17-50, Nikon 35/1.8, Nikon 55-200, SB-600 and an FM2+50/1.4 in the main pouch. It was a bit of a tight squeeze but it all fit without issue. And there is a front and back pocket that would fit an iPad nicely.

edit: VVV the main area has re-configurable padding so you can accommodate the gripped body

MAkev fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 12, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MAkev posted:

I don't have a grip for my D7000 but I've fit my D5000, Tamron 17-50, Nikon 35/1.8, Nikon 55-200, SB-600 and an FM2+50/1.4 in the main pouch.
As Sevn said though, a gripped camera completely changes the layout of a lot of bags. I adored my ONA Union Street and still think it's the best looking camera bag on the market, but I just couldn't get it to work with a gripped body which I couldn't give up.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

As Sevn said though, a gripped camera completely changes the layout of a lot of bags. I adored my ONA Union Street and still think it's the best looking camera bag on the market, but I just couldn't get it to work with a gripped body which I couldn't give up.

That is the bag I have had my eye on for months. I am going back to America in 1 week and I plan on finding a bag then. The only criteria I have is; low-key, able to fit a gripped D7000, and able to hold either pen+paper, or my iPad.

Having an R strap is nice when I just want to walk around, but I ride trains and buses a lot here, so I would like to carry a little something extra, when I can't use my camera. Not to mention it is nice to have a notebook where I can keep all of my photography notes.

It is also nice to carry a notebook (paper, not electronic) because all of the tourist spots here have unique stamps, so you can stamp your notebook when you visit certain places. Every city has a special stamp at 7-11 also.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Lege posted:

I've been considering the purchase of a sling strap. Are my fears of the screw suddenly coming loose and causing the camera take a dive completely irrational? Give me therapy, goons

No direct experience with a sling strap, but here's a short story based on a true event that has to do with screws: got a capture camera clip, and loved the poo poo out of it for about 24 hours. On day two, after ten minutes on a bike, I noticed the plate had gotten loose. No worries, I hadn't tightened it very much to begin with, so I take a coin and tighten it quite well. Day three, after a half an hour walk, the plate becomes loose again, I don't immediately tighten it (because I'm exceptionally stupid), and my camera promptly dislodges from my belt, and hurls toward the pavement. Thankfully, both camera and lens remain intact, but that's hardly the point. The point is that I am now terrified to use the clip.

It's pretty obvious when it becomes loose, and had I tightened it the moment I noticed, nothing would have happened, but goddamn it, it's not supposed to get loose within twenty minutes.

tl;dr: screws sometimes unscrew themselves as if by magic.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Cockwhore posted:

No direct experience with a sling strap, but here's a short story based on a true event that has to do with screws: got a capture camera clip, and loved the poo poo out of it for about 24 hours. On day two, after ten minutes on a bike, I noticed the plate had gotten loose. No worries, I hadn't tightened it very much to begin with, so I take a coin and tighten it quite well. Day three, after a half an hour walk, the plate becomes loose again, I don't immediately tighten it (because I'm exceptionally stupid), and my camera promptly dislodges from my belt, and hurls toward the pavement. Thankfully, both camera and lens remain intact, but that's hardly the point. The point is that I am now terrified to use the clip.

It's pretty obvious when it becomes loose, and had I tightened it the moment I noticed, nothing would have happened, but goddamn it, it's not supposed to get loose within twenty minutes.

That's what they make Loctite for.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Really dig the ONA bag, but 50/50 at the moment between it and the Billingham bags.

Don't know if it looks too much like a handbag though :ohdear:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The only way it works is if you keep lenses off when it's in the bag, which is a sacrifice but it hasn't been a huge pain.

Creepy Goat posted:

Really dig the ONA bag, but 50/50 at the moment between it and the Billingham bags.

Don't know if it looks too much like a handbag though :ohdear:

I will never understand people who find the Billingham bags aesthetically appealing. They look like old lady purses.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I will never understand people who find the Billingham bags aesthetically appealing. They look like old lady purses.

This is what I thought, I saw a guy with the black one in passing and from what I glimpsed I thought it looked quite slick. Then when I look at pictures online it looks a like a handbag that Maudrey with the cats would carry.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cockwhore posted:

I know these are all anecdotal, but I have used my RS screw on the Nikon 80-200 2.8 tripod foot for 6+ hours multiple times, as well as on the gripped body for days at a time, and I have never once felt like it came close to coming undone.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sevn posted:

I know these are all anecdotal, but I have used my RS screw on the Nikon 80-200 2.8 tripod foot for 6+ hours multiple times, as well as on the gripped body for days at a time, and I have never once felt like it came close to coming undone.
I'm not convinced people are tightening them enough for the rubber washer to do its job.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I'm not convinced people are tightening them enough for the rubber washer to do its job.

Yeah, and I think it was mentioned her, but you can get the rubber part a little wet before you tighten it, and that will help it grip even tighter.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sevn posted:

That is the bag I have had my eye on for months. I am going back to America in 1 week and I plan on finding a bag then. The only criteria I have is; low-key, able to fit a gripped D7000, and able to hold either pen+paper, or my iPad.

Having an R strap is nice when I just want to walk around, but I ride trains and buses a lot here, so I would like to carry a little something extra, when I can't use my camera. Not to mention it is nice to have a notebook where I can keep all of my photography notes.

It is also nice to carry a notebook (paper, not electronic) because all of the tourist spots here have unique stamps, so you can stamp your notebook when you visit certain places. Every city has a special stamp at 7-11 also.

Retrospective 10. I carry a 5DII, gripped, with 24-105 on it, and one or two lenses (or a lens and a flash), plus my kindle/kindle fire.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The strap coming undone is probably the least likely method of damagaing your equipment with the Blackrapid. There's a litany of dumb things that could happen.

1. If you have the old style Fastener (not the forged one-piece, but the two-piece D-ring units) there's always the risk that the D-ring will fall apart, though I've rarely seen this happen.

2. People who stupidly attach the strap to their stock Manfrotto QR plate D-ring, which will rapidly deform and fail under most weight loads.

3. When you change a lens that's attached to the strap via the tripod collar and you forget that the body isn't secured to anything, thus allowing the body to fall to the ground. BR said they'd make a safety strap but I have yet to see it.

4. People who aren't mindful of what their camera does and smash it against something or a wall.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

torgeaux posted:

Retrospective 10. I carry a 5DII, gripped, with 24-105 on it, and one or two lenses (or a lens and a flash), plus my kindle/kindle fire.

There was a time when I would balk at spending 150 dollars on a bag. That was before I had photography as a hobby. This is absolutely perfect, thanks!

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
I also find it much easier to pack my D700 + grip separately from my lenses. Its just too bulky and unwieldy with a lens on. Its a minor hassle to assemble and disassemble the lens when packing/unpacking.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I currently own a lowerpro 102 aw slingshot. Now I have tons of gear and I want a bag, backpack or a big case(like nanuk 915) to store my gear. I have 3 kids and I want something solid but not to costly either. I still plan on using the slingshot to travel lightweight. Any suggestion ?

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Niagalack posted:

I currently own a lowerpro 102 aw slingshot. Now I have tons of gear and I want a bag, backpack or a big case(like nanuk 915) to store my gear. I have 3 kids and I want something solid but not to costly either. I still plan on using the slingshot to travel lightweight. Any suggestion ?

I picked up the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW, and I really like it. It's kind of huge so I use a separate bag for photowalks or day trips around the city, but it's awesome because it holds all of my gear, and I use it as much as storage to keep all of my gear in one place as I do for hiking/photoshoots. It fits:

430 ex ii
gripped T1i with tamron 17-50 attached
elan ii (film body)
50 1.8
85 1.8
70-200 f/4
cactus triggers
extension tubes
batter charger
film
filters/memory cards/cleaning equip/ton of extra batteries
Tripod clips onto the front

And I still have room to cram stuff in. I find it really comfortable too, more comfortable than my messenger bag actually. I can hike around with all that on my back and not feel it as much as I feel my messenger, which weighs way less.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Remo posted:

I also find it much easier to pack my D700 + grip separately from my lenses. Its just too bulky and unwieldy with a lens on. Its a minor hassle to assemble and disassemble the lens when packing/unpacking.

Yes and no. If it were just for traveling, I'd not care. However, since this is also my bag I carry to go shoot, having to remove the lens is a non-starter. A, don't want to do that in the field, and B) don't want to have to add lens each time I want to stop and shoot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A gripped/pro body with a lens on it is just an awkward thing to pack and there's no way around it. Plus you're way more likely to damage the mount in transit.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evil_bunnY posted:

A gripped/pro body with a lens on it is just an awkward thing to pack and there's no way around it. Plus you're way more likely to damage the mount in transit.

Don't worry about the mount. I've shot for ages with a gripped camera where the strap is secured just to the battery grip and things work out fine. That said, I probably just jinxed myself.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

torgeaux posted:

Yes and no. If it were just for traveling, I'd not care. However, since this is also my bag I carry to go shoot, having to remove the lens is a non-starter. A, don't want to do that in the field, and B) don't want to have to add lens each time I want to stop and shoot.

Get a R-strap and just carry the camera + lens on you. Problem solved! :)

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

CarrotFlowers posted:

I picked up the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW, and I really like it. It's kind of huge so I use a separate bag for photowalks or day trips around the city, but it's awesome because it holds all of my gear, and I use it as much as storage to keep all of my gear in one place as I do for hiking/photoshoots. It fits:

430 ex ii
gripped T1i with tamron 17-50 attached
elan ii (film body)
50 1.8
85 1.8
70-200 f/4
cactus triggers
extension tubes
batter charger
film
filters/memory cards/cleaning equip/ton of extra batteries
Tripod clips onto the front

And I still have room to cram stuff in. I find it really comfortable too, more comfortable than my messenger bag actually. I can hike around with all that on my back and not feel it as much as I feel my messenger, which weighs way less.

We almost have the same gear let me check that bag.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Remo posted:

My gripped D700 with a 70-200 2.8 attached fits great in my Thinktank Streetwalker HD. 'Normal' bags are a pain, but I had ok luck with a 7MDH too..

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

Don't worry about the mount. I've shot for ages with a gripped camera where the strap is secured just to the battery grip and things work out fine. That said, I probably just jinxed myself.
Heh. It's just the most common failure mode for cameras getting tossed around AFAIK. I keep mine with either a lens or a grip on it when packed, not both.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever

nummy posted:

My gripped D700 with a 70-200 2.8 attached fits great in my Thinktank Streetwalker HD. 'Normal' bags are a pain, but I had ok luck with a 7MDH too..

Hey fellow Streetwalker HD owner!

Yeah that's what I will do when I need to bring the 70-200 out, but when I need to bring some nano lightstands or my tripod, putting the body to one of the side pockets allows the center column to be used. The amount of stuff I can stuff inside this drat bag is amazing.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Remo posted:

Hey fellow Streetwalker HD owner!

Yeah that's what I will do when I need to bring the 70-200 out, but when I need to bring some nano lightstands or my tripod, putting the body to one of the side pockets allows the center column to be used. The amount of stuff I can stuff inside this drat bag is amazing.

I know.. I have the camera/grip, 70-200, 24-70, 50, 2 SB600's, a bunch of spare batteries, blower bulb, battery charger and some other nonsense in the bag and it still seems half empty. Fantastic bag.

I think it's the first camera bag I've had that I don't regret buying. I guess I don't regret the 7M$H either, but only because I got a killer deal on it from some old guy selling it on Craigslist.

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004
I've finally caved and am looking into a Black Rapid strap. I'm sure the knock-offs are a fine alternative, but everyone swears by Black Rapid so I'll pony up the extra $30-40 for one. Most people seem to have the RS-7 and have nothing but good things to say about it, but I'm also looking at the RS-Sport "Extreme" that's $10 more. Anyone have any experience with the sport strap? The main difference appears to be the contoured shape and the inclusion of the BRAD side strap.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
What kind of shooting will you be doing predominantly?

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004

HPL posted:

What kind of shooting will you be doing predominantly?

Mostly casual stuff, but I'll definitely be using it a fair amount for hiking and other "sport extreme" activities like taking pictures on the sidelines of my kid's soccer games.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Cyborganizer posted:

Mostly casual stuff, but I'll definitely be using it a fair amount for hiking and other "sport extreme" activities like taking pictures on the sidelines of my kid's soccer games.

I'd say get the RS-7 then. You'd have to be jumping around a lot and stuff to need the BRAD strap. The strap stays in place pretty good as is. Plus you can always add the BRAD later if you find it necessary.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cyborganizer posted:

Like HPL said, the RS7 will be more than good enough for that, and it has the ability to upgrade later if you need it. One thing to keep in mind is that when you get it, follow the instructions so that you set it up properly.

If you don't quite understand, wait until you buy it. It will come with a little fold out set of instructions, with pictures, that tells you how to set it up. Follow what it says on the instructions. It will be more comfortable and it will work properly.

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004
Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards the RS-7 anyway. Saving the $10 on that will give me an excuse to get the fastener designed to work with the manfrotto plates. Why a screw is $20, I have no idea?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The instructional videos on the Black Rapid site are pretty good too.

Cyborganizer posted:

Why a screw is $20, I have no idea?

Ever done a relatively small run of custom parts at a machine shop before?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I got this camera strap off of eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rapid-Black...=item256bb0932b

It's not bad, especially for the price. It's a total knockoff of the Sun Sniper strap, even with the steel anti-cut cable in the strap. Haven't been able to give it much of a workout yet, but from initial handling it's a heck of a lot more solid than an $11 strap should be.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Anyone had experience with the Union Photo Messenger?

After being put off the ONA by the price (better spent on a new prime) I am aiming for under £100. Need to fit soft/flexible laptop-sized package, netbook, 600D w/17-50mm, 50mm, 70-300mm, speedlite, bottle/food.

Really tempted by the Incase Ari bag despite it being a tad mroe pricey, would need to have something that doesn't look too formal when on the street but looks fine with a suit sans tie.

Also looking at the Mark Field Bag and Incase Sling Pack.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Creepy Goat posted:

Anyone had experience with the Union Photo Messenger?

After being put off the ONA by the price (better spent on a new prime) I am aiming for under £100. Need to fit soft/flexible laptop-sized package, netbook, 600D w/17-50mm, 50mm, 70-300mm, speedlite, bottle/food.

Really tempted by the Incase Ari bag despite it being a tad mroe pricey, would need to have something that doesn't look too formal when on the street but looks fine with a suit sans tie.

Also looking at the Mark Field Bag and Incase Sling Pack.

Have you looked at the Think Tank Retrospective series? I've got one of those and one of the more traditional camera bags (speed racer/demon). They are awesome, not sure if the cost give the exchange rate but might be under your limit (?)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Have you looked at the Think Tank Retrospective series? I've got one of those and one of the more traditional camera bags (speed racer/demon). They are awesome, not sure if the cost give the exchange rate but might be under your limit (?)

The Retrospective series is fantastic, but goddamn the price.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

The Retrospective series is fantastic, but goddamn the price.

Worth it. It's a hell of a bag; got the Retrospective 20 and it holds a 5D Mark 2 with 70-200, 7D with a 17-55, a Sigma 50mm, a Sigma 24mm, and a 580EXII plus a Kindle and assorted other poo poo like car keys, ear plugs, spare batteries and cards, and business cards, all in separate compartments. Plus it's durable as all get out, relatively waterproof, and the silent velcro is a godsend for quiet acoustic shows or wildlife on the run, or even street stuff.

My only issue is the separate waterproof cover that comes with it is super finnicky, but that's just me. Boss bag, and probably one of the better investments I've made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The retrospective series are nearly the same price in £ as in $ (£115 vs $130), might as well pick up the Ari bag if I was going to spend that much. I already have a couple of great backpacks and just need a small-ish shoulder bag for street and overnight trips. I may well pick up something more expensive later in the year, but now I just need something smart to get the job done seeing as I just splashed out on a new body and multiple lenses.

Just got my Black Rapid RS-7 today as well, holy god it is fantastic. Coming from a bog standard nylon strap with clips I don't know how I've managed this far. Picked up the FastenR-T1 as well but havn't got a tripod plate to test it with yet. Probably the hundredth person in this thread to recommend it but drat it's definitely worth the price.

e; The Acme Union Messenger is only £38 on ebay, 36% off. Will probably pick it up and do a quick review.

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 27, 2012

• Locked thread