Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
PIcked up Lex Luthor's Power Armor and the Catwoman Cycle sets today. The power armor is really cool, love the little details like the kryptonite tanks on the back and the little crystal in the gun. The catwoman cycle was a little disappointing for $10, and Batman doesn't come with a cape, but I like the jetpack and the lamp post. Superman's cape feels weird, though. I haven't bought a set with a cape in forever, but it feels a lot stiffer and more papery than the capes from when I was a kid. I dunno, might just need to be broken in. Overall, though, they were really fun buys, especially the power armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

Got a $25 Target gift card for Christmas and I never shop at target so I figured I might as well spend it on Lego. Anyone have a recommendation for a set around that price? I'm willing to spend a few extra dollars if it's something cool.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Check the post above yours. Lex Luthor's Power Armor.

And then grab one of the cheap creator sets. There's a green car that would probably go well with it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Suck it haters, the Grey is totally rad and there's nothing you can do about it.

Just need to find some light grey hands for him.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Finished building the Mini Modular Buildings. So many tiny pieces...

Each building was in its own bag, with two sub-bags within. Each building had its own complement of spares, so there are a lot of 'em.
The Fire Brigade uses a lot of half-stud offsets using jumper plates (amusingly, the Mini Fire Brigade fits neatly into the garage door of the large Fire Brigade). Market Street uses SNOT to cram a lot of detail into a 5-wide building; Grand Emporium and Cafe Corner also used a similar SNOT technique for its windows.
I really hope they have an 'expansion pack' with the Pet Shop and Town Hall.

djfooboo posted:

The madness of building Cafe Corner via Bricklink begins!

I'm considering doing this for Cafe Corner and Market Street. How much are you expecting to spend on Cafe Corner? How many sellers is it gonna take?

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 15, 2012

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

You know, from what I know of the modular buildings its a lot of fairly generic pieces. They can't be that bad to buy piece by piece, can they?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
A thing appears

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Jut posted:

A thing appears

"Do a flip!"

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Jut posted:

A thing appears

Now you need to build a MOC time machine and run a giant power cable from the clock.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Pyroclastic posted:

I'm considering doing this for Cafe Corner and Market Street. How much are you expecting to spend on Cafe Corner? How many sellers is it gonna take?

I got 1191 pieces of 2056 for 98.00 from one seller. I got most the rare colors already bought. I don't plan on buying minifigs or instructions either. I plan on spending around 200-230 dollars which I find much fairer to the Bricklink average of $753.00 :wth:.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Jut posted:

A thing appears

Could we get a detail shot of those skylights? Those appear to be bitchin.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Jordanis posted:

Could we get a detail shot of those skylights? Those appear to be bitchin.

They are just made from transparent garage door pieces, held in place by a slotted 1x2 brick...
I'll try to get a shot later.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Ended up building the Dino Attack jeep. It's bigger than I expected for the small piece count, but the build really suffered from the small piece count too. For a set that's obviously intended to be played with, and rather violently, it's not very stable. The roof and the gun are both flimsy as gently caress.

Also these dinosaurs are awful and are hard to actually get to stay anywhere.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Frozen-Solid posted:

Ended up building the Dino Attack jeep. It's bigger than I expected for the small piece count, but the build really suffered from the small piece count too. For a set that's obviously intended to be played with, and rather violently, it's not very stable. The roof and the gun are both flimsy as gently caress.

Also these dinosaurs are awful and are hard to actually get to stay anywhere.

The vehicle form is awesome, much cooler than most production sets. It almost looks like a MOC or something.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Sloppy posted:

The vehicle form is awesome, much cooler than most production sets. It almost looks like a MOC or something.

Yeah it's definitely cooler looking than the box gives it credit for. Overall it was a quick and fun little build, but it could have used ~10 more pieces to better design how the turret and cab roof are attached.

If I redid it I'd make a hinged roof with a single plate, and probably use a spinner plate for the gun rather than it being mounted on a single technic stud. I'd probably reinforce the front end and side panels a bit too.

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011
I've noted the lego cars which are meant to be driven by minifigs have easily detached roofs. I think it's intentional for play purposes.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Wheezer posted:

I've noted the lego cars which are meant to be driven by minifigs have easily detached roofs. I think it's intentional for play purposes.

Yeah, but the new way of using a loosely connected plate sucks. I liked the old hinges a lot more. I'm trying to think of a way to express how it made me feel as a child, but a hinged roof was really awesome, and I would always go out of my way to make sure my vehicles had one. If you had to break off a piece to put the guy inside, it was decidedly lame.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Torael_7 posted:

You know, from what I know of the modular buildings its a lot of fairly generic pieces. They can't be that bad to buy piece by piece, can they?

I'm pretty sure that with the pieces I got in my grab bags I bought, I could build one of the buildings but the colors wouldn't match. It's a lot of 1x1 and 1x2 parts.

Backside Detail:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Shin-chan posted:

I'm pretty sure that with the pieces I got in my grab bags I bought, I could build one of the buildings but the colors wouldn't match. It's a lot of 1x1 and 1x2 parts.

What is the name of this set? I'm trying to find it on the Lego page but I'm not sure which category to look under.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sloppy posted:

Yeah, but the new way of using a loosely connected plate sucks. I liked the old hinges a lot more. I'm trying to think of a way to express how it made me feel as a child, but a hinged roof was really awesome, and I would always go out of my way to make sure my vehicles had one. If you had to break off a piece to put the guy inside, it was decidedly lame.
This. Very much this.
8-year-old me: "Wait, I have to take these pieces apart to put the guy inside? Nuh-uh, gonna dig out some hinges here."
*all blue-and-grey vehicle now has bright red door hinges, and a big gun on the roof for some reason*
8-year-old me: "Hurray!"

The Creator Lighthouse Island I picked up has a set of hinges and studless plates to open the entire back side of the house and lower half of the tower (which includes a nice little ladder to access the upper areas). It's pretty great.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Sloppy posted:

What is the name of this set? I'm trying to find it on the Lego page but I'm not sure which category to look under.

Mini Modulars

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

This. Very much this.
8-year-old me: "Wait, I have to take these pieces apart to put the guy inside? Nuh-uh, gonna dig out some hinges here."
*all blue-and-grey vehicle now has bright red door hinges, and a big gun on the roof for some reason*
8-year-old me: "Hurray!"

The Creator Lighthouse Island I picked up has a set of hinges and studless plates to open the entire back side of the house and lower half of the tower (which includes a nice little ladder to access the upper areas). It's pretty great.

That's awesome. I used to LOVE how the Robin Hood (sorry, Forestmen) sets always swung open to allow access to the inside, and usually had secret entrances (again, hinged). I never actually owned the Camouflaged Outpost, but seeing it just once at a friend's house caused me to add secrets and hidden doors to pretty much every building I ever built.

This review is a bit dull, but skip to 4:00 to see the hidden door sweetness:
http://www.brickshow.com/episode-350-review-of-lego-camouflaged-outpost

Shin-chan posted:

Mini Modulars

Awesome, thanks!
Edit: $80? Ow :(

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 15, 2012

Caladan Rake
Oct 12, 2011
Having found this page made me relive so many exciting childhood memories. Can't wait to get out of this stinkin apartment and into a house where I actually may have some room to bring my Lego out of storage.

There's only about 5 garbage bags worth.............

Great Green Auk
Aug 31, 2011

It's chameleons all the way down.
Wow, this thread REALLY brings me back. I loved Legos as a kid (still do) and to this day still have most of my sets. I have almost the entire Hogwarts collection but my absolute favorite has to be my Aero Tube Hangar from the (sadly discontinued :() Life on Mars collection. I also have the Red Planet Protector and my brother has the mining rig. The Protector is fully assembled and lives on top of my bookcase back home. drat, I miss my Legos.

Life on Mars :3:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Sloppy posted:

Please.

Don't forget the coolest recent Creator set.

I've been meaning to ask for help with this piece for a while now:

It's been in the Lego bin for years and nobody knows what it is. The blue glass piece obviously, not the plate it's on.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm terrible at searching for pieces.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Faerunner posted:

Anyone have any ideas? I'm terrible at searching for pieces.

Looks like it was part of one of the old space station sets if I had to guess.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah it's definitely a space thing, the Ice Warrior domes people were posting awhile back had them in red.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Looks like it might be from this, maybe?

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=6884-1

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Faerunner posted:

I've been meaning to ask for help with this piece for a while now:

It's been in the Lego bin for years and nobody knows what it is. The blue glass piece obviously, not the plate it's on.

Futron: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6884

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Wow, that looks like it could be it. And I'm pretty sure there's a figure like that in the bin somewhere too...

Thanks for the quick response guys.

It's a shame the set is from 1987 though, that's a year after both of us were born so at least it explains our lack of memory of it.

That makes it this, then: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2408

Edit: And for about $1.70 per from the sellers with more than just one... I kind of want to buy a dozen of them and make an underwater base of some sort

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 15, 2012

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Found series 6 in Target Maryland. Got the alien, skate girl and sleepy guy :( bitches skateboard tricked me from the Roman.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Captain Duvel posted:

Found series 6 in Target Maryland. Got the alien, skate girl and sleepy guy :( bitches skateboard tricked me from the Roman.

The key to the roman is the spear. It is the longest thing in any of the sets and the end has a rubbery/bendable feel - also the skater girl's wheels aren't attached to the skateboard itself; they feel a lot like a tiny dumbbell.

I went 6 for 6 in my picks (Minotaur, Genie, Samnus, Bandit, Roman, Celt). The Statue of Liberty is a pain in the rear end to find - too many flamenco dancers.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Chris Knight posted:

Futron: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6884

That was one of my first "big" sets and one of my favorites as a kid. :3: I used to hold that big blue piece over my eyes and pretend it was some kind of space visor.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

ZarathustraFollower posted:

To my untrained eye, it really looks like you might have the Death Star in that haul. Imperial guard, the black droid, Grand Moff Tarkin...

Probably more likely the 6211 Star Destroyer. It has all of those minifigs.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

CADPAT posted:

Probably more likely the 6211 Star Destroyer. It has all of those minifigs.

Yeah, someone already pointed that out, and he said he has the instructions for the star destroyer. I just didn't know that set existed.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Great Green Auk posted:

I loved Legos as a kid (still do)

*posts something I was considering picking up in university*

Welp it's back to the PYF Things That Make You Feel Old thread for me

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

Sloppy posted:

Awesome, thanks!
Edit: $80? Ow :(

My exact thoughts. I need that set, but I don't $80 need it.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
speaking of mini modulars

ya people are that crazy.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Merchant of Death posted:

speaking of mini modulars

ya people are that crazy.

Did they do the thing where you don't take it out of the bag to assemble? Or did they protect it from sneezes? I can't tell whats going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
they bag built it which is crazy considering all the small parts