Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
Jock has to be one of the best if not the best Batman artist in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

Jock has to be one of the best if not the best Batman artist in recent years.

Jock carried the somewhat weak last year of the Losers squarely on his incredibly talented shoulders.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Jock's covers are pretty good, but I just don't like his interiors. He seems more focused on stylish chiaroscuro than properly constructed drawings, and as a result his characters just feel like insubstantial sketches.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
I don't know. I quite like that rough look and to me he's one of the few artists who can pull it off and still have a strong sense of storytelling.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Posted this in the derailed thread but figured I could post it here. I am reading the Day of Futures Past trade and we are introduced to Kitty Pryde. The art is by Byrne I believe and while I don't have issues with his artwork, his drawings of Kitty make her look like she has a face made of putty. This page is the worst part:

(X-Men: Day of Futures Past trade)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Also Storm has gigantic cat eyes

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Internet Wizard posted:

Also Storm has gigantic cat eyes

She was consistently drawn like that for a while. I thought it was kind of cool.

dieFALKENATOR
Dec 24, 2011

JackDarko posted:

He's one of Chris Burnham's biggest influences so in a way that's kind of fitting.

Is he? We interviewed Chris and he mentioned Quitely as a primary influence, and I can see particularly from a Western tradition Geof Darrow in his work also... actually if you combined the two, Fisher was about that. I love Chris Burnham, although (and I hate when folk say this about Quitely) he does do wonky faces sometimes.

omg car crash
Jul 21, 2008

PRIDE after the fall. Champion, 2011. :dealwithit:
Almost related:

Not sure if there are any Philadelphia Goons here, but there was an -awesome- "Dedicated To Rob Liefield" art gallery here at Brave New World(LCBS in Olde City) at this past Frist Friday. Certainly should check it out if you're in the area.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hope someone attends covered in as many belts and pouches as they could find/buy/wear.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Liefeld. Again.

:smith:

This thread could easily become drowned in this guy's stuff, but this single drawing pretty much exemplifies everything he does wrong, especially with female characters.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 13, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mazed posted:

Liefeld. Again.

Bahahaha, I will never stop loving Rob Liefeld. Her legs have to be, what, like six feet long?

Edit: oh man, it's even more hilarious compressed in the quote like that.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mazed posted:

Liefeld. Again.

:smith:

This thread could easily become drowned in this guy's stuff, but this single drawing pretty much exemplifies everything he does wrong, especially with female characters.

This is 'shopped right? I know he sucks, but...

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

jimcunningham posted:

This is 'shopped right? I know he sucks, but...

I'm afraid not. Here's the full page:

It's hard to catch this, just because of the sheer horror of the rest of it, but check out how she's wearing gloves in that shot where in the earlier panels she isn't.

Also, Loki's face in panel 4.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Mazed posted:

I'm afraid not. Here's the full page:

It's hard to catch this, just because of the sheer horror of the rest of it, but check out how she's wearing gloves in that shot where in the earlier panels she isn't.

Also, Loki's face in panel 4.

Talking about continuity and whatnot, in the third panel where she is talking out of her rear end (the word bubble is pointed there) Loki is at the same levelher legs. And then we see that she is a 19 foot tall giant. That is weird.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This art makes me want to start an assassin's guild.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Rob Liefield is a treasure

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
that's an entire new level of "legs are too long". like, they are literally as tall as the whole of her would be if she was correctly drawn. it must be a new record

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
You can see the process behind it too, which is kind of fun. Like, he had this cool idea for a layout but he hosed it up and just went "oh well."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

You can see the process behind it too, which is kind of fun. Like, he had this cool idea for a layout but he hosed it up and just went "oh well."

His career in a nutshell.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is not just a question designed to put him down, but how does he still work? The blame lies on whoever is in charge. They are obviously constantly drunk.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

dieFALKENATOR posted:

Is he? We interviewed Chris and he mentioned Quitely as a primary influence, and I can see particularly from a Western tradition Geof Darrow in his work also... actually if you combined the two, Fisher was about that. I love Chris Burnham, although (and I hate when folk say this about Quitely) he does do wonky faces sometimes.

He mentioned it on twitter, on the anniversary of his death. Talked about how he had never felt so crushed by a mans death he never met, and how much he loved the guys art. I see the influence in the backgrounds primarily.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

jimcunningham posted:

This is not just a question designed to put him down, but how does he still work?
He meets deadlines and possesses an adorable enthusiasm.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Perhaps she's half-giant.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

What's the other half?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

SkellingTon Loc posted:

What's the other half?

Leg.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I wonder if he has some sort of visual disorder, a bit like El Greco, but without shitloads of talent/hard work to back him up?

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Well, this doesn't totally excuse it, but from what I've seen on youtube he doesn't seem to use a drawing table that much. If you draw big drawings on a table without a slant they tend to become skewed and wonky cause you're looking at the paper from an angle and not directly.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

He draws parts of stuff, not the whole. Individual components of things make sense - like he'll draw two pretty decent eyes and then chuck them on a face without any regard for perspective or human anatomy. Basically I'm saying he draws like a little kid.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
DC is cancelling his Hawk and Dove...and giving him three of the other 52 titles.

Including Grifter. I was enjoying Grifter too (read the first two issues, now I'm trade waiting for it) - I'm sure Liefeld is a nice guy,and unless I'm reading it wrong, he's not actually doing the art, but him getting his creative sticky fingers on a good title, in 2012, is depressing.

This is his take on Deadpool (well, the Deadpool Corps). Bear in mind, he was the one who created the character....

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A deaddog? Really? And why can't anyone draw a normal loving gun? Also, lightsabers. I love Deadpool so much, but I am getting so sick of the oversaturation.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
To fully appreciate Liefeld you just have to stare at the amazaningness that is this picture:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

To fully appreciate Liefeld you just have to stare at the amazaningness that is this picture:

I think you mean this picture:
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/ML7n8.jpg:nws:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

OldMemes posted:

DC is cancelling his Hawk and Dove...and giving him three of the other 52 titles.

Including Grifter. I was enjoying Grifter too (read the first two issues, now I'm trade waiting for it) - I'm sure Liefeld is a nice guy,and unless I'm reading it wrong, he's not actually doing the art, but him getting his creative sticky fingers on a good title, in 2012, is depressing.

This is his take on Deadpool (well, the Deadpool Corps). Bear in mind, he was the one who created the character....

I hate how his Deadpools always seem to have a black hole in the center of their face sucking the mask inward.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

OldMemes posted:

It looks like he stopped drawing when he got to the bottom inch of the image and the colourist had to make it up.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Is that a disembodied head with a propeller beanie? That makes a surprising amount of sense.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yes, it had a propeller hat. Also, it was a zombie (the one from Marvel Zombies). That whole Corps storyline was the worst storyline of Deadpool I've ever read. As Gavok has said before, people need to stop putting Deadpool in space.

The origin story with Kid Deadpool was awesome though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

It looks like he stopped drawing when he got to the bottom inch of the image and the colourist had to make it up.
I think that's exactly what happened.

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
Looks like the wee deaddog has a humie bum? Not sure why I'm seeing that, but there you go.

If that splash is actually a product of Liefeld's spazzy hands, I'm actually a bit impressed (all things relative).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

That is probably true since he is notorious for not being able to draw feet.